Old 09-27-2004, 09:48 PM   #1  
Exercise Vidiot

Question Has anyone else had this problem?

The exercise video thread got me thinking about my workouts, and I wanted to share some trouble I've been having and see if anyone had experienced anything similar.

Back when I weighed 250 lbs I loved yoga. I took yoga classes and did yoga videos. It was so much fun for me. When I got really focused on losing weight, I stopped the yoga and started serious cardio - 1 hr daily on the elliptical or stair master - and some light weight lifting, which has been working well for me. Since I'm so close to my goal, I recently decided to add yoga back into my routine. So, a few days ago I pulled out my favorite yoga tape, and I couldn't do it at all! Everytime I tried to stand on one foot I fell on my butt It's like I have no sense of balance anymore. I thought it would be easier - there's 75 less lbs of me to balance. It was so frustrating. And it was embarrassing - my husband kept coming in the room after hearing me crash to the floor and start cursing

Has this happened to anyone else? Do you think my body's just not adjusted to my new weight? I know I should just keep trying and it will get easier. I just feel so ridiculous.
Fitbabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2004, 10:22 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 273/260.1/163

Height: 5'7"

Part of it is your muscles.. when you run/walk/hike you muscles get tight, and you just don't realize it until you do something like yoga. I used to take a yoga class with a ton of runners and while I could bend at the waist and put my elbows on the floor, they couldn't even touch their toes.. it's your flexibility level. Keep at the yoga thing though, with time you will get back to your flexibility level, the stretching will help your body sooooo much! Pilates it great for that too, it apparently "lengthens" your muscles making you look lean. Congrats on the weight loss
SwimGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2004, 12:59 PM   #3  

I think swimgirl is right about the tightness. Also, your center of gravity CAN change as your weight changes. Just keep at it and you'll regain your center and your skills. Yoga has SO many benefits besides just the physical, it's well worth the effort to go through another learning phase.
funniegrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2004, 01:13 PM   #4  
Born Loser

S/C/G: 490/See Tracker/245

I experienced something like this when I lost 190 pounds a few years back. I would stand up and get dizzy. The doctor did not see anything wrong and it did go away. I guess your body just has to adjust to the new you.
howie6267 is offline   Reply With Quote