South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 04-07-2004, 04:47 PM   #1  

Default Thanks for the welcomes, but.....

I have a post below introducing myself. I mentioned that my dh and I are doing Phase I for a few days before Easter then taking the weekend as is comes, then re-starting on Monday. Well stupid me! I caved today and have been eating everything in site. I talked myself into it because I knew the weekend would include wine, food, etc. I am now debating on starting over on Monday or going back to the old standby of Weight Watchers. I can't seem to stick to either. I have a hard time with the food choices only because I am not used to them. Never was a big fruit and veggie girl.

Do you ever get used to the healthy stuff??

I need help and support! Any suggestions for lunches for me? I am not a big salad person. Making myself have them for lunch is icky. I am also doing a ton more cooking so I guess I had better get used to that!

Any tips or words of wisdon would be awesome about now!!!!

Thanks,
Lou
Old 04-07-2004, 05:39 PM   #2  

Whatever you make for dinner save extra for lunch.

I can't seem to stick to anything either. I told myself that I wouldn't mess up this time. I did cheat today though (only 4th day). I had one of those small small bags of Doritoes. ummmmmmmmummmmmmmm. One cheat isn't going to ruin the whole thing for me though. Well actually two cheats. Hershey kiss yesterday . I'm still eating and feeling better than I have in a long time.
Old 04-07-2004, 05:41 PM   #3  

The thought of eating the healthy foods at first didn't appeal to me. But, I was determined to make this work. Now, since I don't eat anything OP, I crave veggies, salads, fish, whatever I can get my hands (or mouth, rather) on. Your taste buds will change, I promise!

Give it a chance, the plan is the healthiest way to go!

Happy Easter!
Old 04-07-2004, 06:10 PM   #4  

When I HAVE to cheat, I try to choose lowcarb products. Atkins has a few out there, I only eat Atkins bread also (but I'm on phase two). Even if you're on phase one and you do cheat, it works better if you choose lower carb stuff, like the lowcarb ice cream or something. Give it a try, and good luck!!
Old 04-08-2004, 11:04 AM   #5  

Yes, I agree with moonmirror. "Cheating", or going off program, can be a matter of degree. We have to lose the attitude "oh well, I'm off program anyway, so if I'm gonna be a bear, I'm gonna be a GRIZZLY!". Pick something that you really want (as low carb/low GI as possible) and have that in moderation along WITH the usual on program food plan.
Old 04-08-2004, 11:15 AM   #6  
Jesus freak

I don't really like salads either, or cheese for that matter. I buy deli turkey and ham - and low carb 50 calorie 8grams fiber tortillas, and I have gotten creative. Some of the things I put in them: ham, turkey, canadian bacon, scrambled eggs, tomatoes, onion, lettuce (romaine and spinach), ranch sauce, chipotle sauce, hot sauce (my fave Paul Newmans roasted garlic) garlic bits, refried beans, small bit of hamburger... or any meat that the kids are having for supper. I buy cooked chicken at Sams (mesquite grilled) and try to cook an extra when I have that for supper so I always have one cut up in the fridge. The biggest thing about SB so far has been for me to buy and cut up the veggies. If they are in the refrigerator I will use them. I enlisted my husband to help me, either by doing other things so have time to do the cutting or he cuts up some himself.

I still have a lot of unhealthy foods in my freezer that I will eat... like pot pies and hot pockets - but I will use those sparingly!
Old 04-08-2004, 11:51 AM   #7  

DON'T LIKE CHEESE!!!!! WHAT KIND OF PERSON ARE U???

Old 04-08-2004, 05:18 PM   #8  
Jesus freak

lol
I never have. I eat it on a lot of things, more and more, but I don't like it naked. At all. There is nothing more disgusting to me than the thought of eating some cottage cheese or ricotta....
Old 04-08-2004, 05:28 PM   #9  

Okay Cottage Cheese.................ugh. I can't take that either. Ricotta without stuff I don't know about either. I bought some Ricotta to start this diet because in the book it uses it as a desert. I have yet to eat it though. I don't want to. My thought was like shredded cheese. I can go and eat that by the handfuls out of the bag.
Old 04-08-2004, 06:59 PM   #10  

I was totally amazed, too. After just a few weeks on the diet I lost my cravings for the fried or totally sugary foods. The healthy foods do taste better to me now. And I do sometimes cheat a little, but make it small and sort of plan around it by eating less or more strict the rest of the day.

And on the cheesy topic,

I love cheese. Esp. ricotta. Today I made a lasagna, using zuchinni instead of the noodles. It was so great!
Old 04-08-2004, 10:58 PM   #11  

Happy Easter guys! I will start again on Monday after our trip away for Easter and I am totally going to check in more on this board for great support. My dh has done well this week, but then he is busy at work and doesn't have time to think about food. Especially since I pack his lunch and snacks. (he needs to lose so I will help any way I can, even if I have to pack a lunch).....
Old 04-09-2004, 08:22 AM   #12  

What I find easy is to take leftovers for lunch and maybe pick up a SBD friendly soup to go with it. Also, Weight watchers has a line of frozen entree called the truth about carbs that are good eand convieniant. They are miniscule in portions though so I suggest adding some veggies, or a salad or soup.
Remember, not to beat yourself over a "cheat". No diet will work if you feel guilty. I try my best but fall off the wagon at times. I usually do not gain, but just do not feel as good. SBD is a low carb lifestyle for me. I try to base my diet around it because I feel so much better with less carbs. Maybe that mindset is not for everyone, but if I called it a "diet" in my mind it would be something that you do to get skinny and then stop.
All you can do is try your best and love yourself. If you slip up, enjoy what you ate and try to have a nice healthy meal the next time.
Old 04-09-2004, 08:40 AM   #13  
Jesus freak

I have that mindset too. I don't call it a "diet" and I need to find another word for "cheat" because that word sounds so dirty!! Last week I had a really busy week and I didn't prepare for it enough because it wasn't convenient to stay on SB when it came time for supper. It's Ok, though, I am back on it this week and I am learning to plan ahead! Today I am going to the lake and need to plan what my lunch will be so I don't end up eating the take-out that the rest of the family will have.
Old 04-10-2004, 12:52 AM   #14  
Miss_Smarty_Pants

S/C/G: 160/150/130

Psychologists say it takes 21 consecutive days to form a new neural pathway to estabilsh a new habit. So basically if you can stick to it for a month, by that time eating healthy will be a habit. I know it sounds like a long time, but try to keep you focus on the reason why you started to diet. Mine was to lose before I started to look like all the women in my family and to gain more energy. The former is starting to happen and the latter is incredible! I have so much energy now I actually workout everyday and love it! Try to stick with it.
Closed Thread