PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Old 12-28-2016, 07:20 PM   #1  

S/C/G: SW: 323 CW: See Ticker GW: 180

Height: 5'8

Arrow Possibly Have PCOS

Hello everyone. So, I possibly have PCOS

Several years ago I was told I had cysts on my ovaries. I was also told that I had a thickening of my uterine lining, but nothing too severe. I was put on birth control, but birth control made me very nauseated, so I went off of it under my doctor's care. No diagnosis was ever revealed to me, and the term PCOS never came up.

I developed diabetes shortly thereafter. And was diagnosed with Hashimotos Autoimmune Thyroiditis. Was put on Metformin and eventually had to go on Insulin for the diabetes and was put on Synthroid for the autoimmune thyroid condition.

In 2013 I got diagnosed with Cancer of my intestine (non Hodgkin lymphoma to be exact), and this is where my periods got really wonky.

Ended up being able to get off insulin, but still take Metformin.

I've been Cancer free since December 2014, but my periods never got back to normal. In fact, the irregularity has gotten exponentially worse. I was kind of coasting with irregular periods for months, but I am no longer just coasting. I never know when my period is going to be, sometimes it's once a month, sometimes it's once every 3 months. I never know if they are going to be light or heavy, last 3 days or 7. AND, this last month has been particularly bad because I've been a complete emotional hormonal basketcase (and it doesn't seem as though the hormonal emotions have anything to do with when I'm getting my period. I haven't had my period this month, and am still emotionally all over the board, for practically the entire month thus far.)

I have a doctor appointment with my PCP on Monday morning, going to get my hormone level blood work, and see what else she wants to do (I'm assuming a trans vaginal ultrasound?? I really do not know.)

I cannot go on birth control because A - It makes me nauseated and B - I am a 36 year old smoker.

The period thing doesn't bother me too much, I mean it's an inconvenience, BUT what really is unacceptable is the hormonal mess I have become.

Anyway, wanted to reach out to others who understand.

Any feedback, advice, support, suggestions, etc. is welcomed and appreciated

Last edited by JesikaBeth; 12-28-2016 at 07:22 PM. Reason: Added Health Information
JesikaBeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 09:17 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 224/189/130

Height: 5'5"

What is your diet like? I know you mentioned you are diabetic. Are you following a low carb/high protein diet or a low glycemic index type diet?

Six or seven years ago I was diagnosed bipolar. Predominantly depressed (95% time), but my moods would switch at the snap of a finger. I had dealt with depression since my early teenage years. Was told I would always need to be on anti-depressants. Hormone fluctuations made things worse. Birth control causes me to be suicidal so I can't take it. A couple of years ago I was suggested by doctors to eat low carb, low glycemic, for weight loss. I basically cut most carbs and gradually added some back in (quinoa, basmati rice, squash) in limited quantities. I have been able to stop the meds and haven't been depressed or had mood swings since. I now believe I was never really bipolar, it was just the carbs were affecting me more than I ever thought possible. If you aren't already eating low carb, you could discuss with your doctor to see if it might help you.
Pastrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 08:54 AM   #3  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pastrey View Post
What is your diet like? I know you mentioned you are diabetic. Are you following a low carb/high protein diet or a low glycemic index type diet?

Six or seven years ago I was diagnosed bipolar. Predominantly depressed (95% time), but my moods would switch at the snap of a finger. I had dealt with depression since my early teenage years. Was told I would always need to be on anti-depressants. Hormone fluctuations made things worse. Birth control causes me to be suicidal so I can't take it. A couple of years ago I was suggested by doctors to eat low carb, low glycemic, for weight loss. I basically cut most carbs and gradually added some back in (quinoa, basmati rice, squash) in limited quantities. I have been able to stop the meds and haven't been depressed or had mood swings since. I now believe I was never really bipolar, it was just the carbs were affecting me more than I ever thought possible. If you aren't already eating low carb, you could discuss with your doctor to see if it might help you.
Hello, thanks for the reply. I am eating lower carb (approx. 80 carbs per day.) I tried going very low carb, but I also have gastroparisis and eating very low carb made me very sick.
Old 01-04-2017, 10:47 AM   #4  

So I was diagnosed with PCOS the day before yesterday...

Tags
pcos