Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Old 03-29-2014, 07:02 PM   #1  

Default Breastfeeding- Not losing after140 lb Pre-Preg loss

Hello!

To start off before my pregnancy I lost a total of 140 lbs. in a year eating healthy. I kept it off for 2 years and then got pregnant with my daughter who will be 5 months in 4 days. During my pregnancy I ate healthy, and cautious about weight gain but no matter how healthy I ate, I gained. I gained a total of 61 lbs. during my pregnancy. The first 4 months I was so upset but then realized my body was gaining what it needed to gain for a healthy pregnancy.

Despite my pregnancy weight gain I was always confident in my weight loss after giving birth because I already knew how to eat healthy to lose weight. I had always stuck to my major concepts of eating healthy anyway during my pregnancy because its all I know now, and all I want to know. It was exciting to hear my doctor say that as soon as the baby is born the water weight is going to immediately leave the body. Plus, with the misconception that everyone has that breastfeeding makes the weight fall off I was super stoked to lose fast.

However, here I am 5 months later, and only 4 lbs. lighter than I weighed hours before giving birth to my daughter. I have continued to eat healthy, but no matter what I do I cannot lose weight and I'm devastated.

I breastfed my son for 2 years but cannot compare my situation to then because this was pre weight loss. I've begged my midwife for answers and as a naturally thin lady who couldn't understand this struggle even if she tried, didn't want to give me the time of day. She had no answers and with the questions that she asked assumed it was due to diet. I finally demanded some kind of answer. I said that its not diet, she knew my weight loss success and I want to know WHY. She said its hormones, they're not back to normal yet.

Its getting so hard to stay focused when all I'm seeing is nothing. I don't want to be heavy, I'm taking the right steps of action to get to where I want to be, but its just not happening and its not fair! I keep telling myself if I don't continue to eat healthy I will only gain more instead of maintain my weight.

Now, the thing that finally made me reach out is, I have had the flu going on 5 days. I couldn't eat more than a few bites all week, and whatever I did eat immediately flushed right through me. Food and even water flushed right through me within 3 minutes. I've been so sick, and have never had this long of a flu. Now the problem, absolutely no weight loss during this time. None!

Anyone who has had this experience, please share your story, struggle, and how long it took to finally lose weight while breastfeeding.

Last edited by GypsyQueen; 03-29-2014 at 07:10 PM.
GypsyQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 06:39 PM   #2  

No one? I am really down the past few days and was hoping to see something, anything
GypsyQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 10:50 PM   #3  
~Shannon

S/C/G: 210.8/see ticker/140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in

I wish I had some advice but I have no clue. Everyone's experience is different but I, too, am aware of the generalizations surrounding weightloss following childbirth. I lost my 30 lb weight gain practically overnight but that was because I simply stopped eating. I had a high needs infant and was not making time for myself. I would put snacks all over the house in hopes I'd eat. Needless to say not eating = not making milk so I didn't get those longer term breastfeeding benefits like I'd hoped, lol. In the end, with such a fast loss, it came back, of course. Honestly, I'd recommend seeing a general practioner or OB. It doesn't sound like you are getting help from your current medical provider. I would find a new one.
Shannonsnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 10:26 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 225/167/135

Height: 5'7"

Something similar happened to my sister, for whatever reason she couldn't drop the weight until about year after the pregnancy no matter what she did. Having a baby is happy yet stressful time on your body, that could be affecting your metabolism on several levels. Also, I have no idea what your diet is but if it isn't one that good for producing milk your body could be freaking out. Not all weight loss diets are equal when breastfeeding, what worked for you before you were pregnant might no work now.

My sister's doctor told her she wasn't eating enough healthy fats or enough calories which during breastfeeding can affect weight. I know it seems counterproductive to eat MORE calories but apparently you are suppose to eat 500 more than what is normal for you to produce milk and not have your body freak out.

Just keep eating healthy and getting moderate exercise and it will happen.
PatLib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 03:42 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 210/173/128

Height: 5'0"

I am going through this right now. My body is doing everything it can to hold into my weight while breastfeeding. It must be hormones.
FunSize is offline   Reply With Quote