Old 03-04-2014, 08:42 AM   #31  
Me back on the list!

S/C/G: 220/177/135

Height: 5'5"

My coach encourages light walking, 30 minutes/day, "to move the fat". I figure, anything that will relocate fat is a good thing. It also helps with a mental boost & clearing the mind after a long day.
bluegingham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 05:17 PM   #32  

S/C/G: 274/?/175

Height: 5'8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mars735 View Post
I'm going to have do a 2 week program of individual Iyengar yoga to address leg problems. It's 2 hrs/day at 6am. I'd appreciate ideas for whether to eat extra carbs or extra protein, and before or after. I haven't been physically active other than work for a long time. My current diet is generally no more than 40 carbs/day.

Thanks for any ideas!
My understanding is that iyengar is lower intensity with lots of emphasis on alignment (which makes sense given you're doing it for leg problems... Let us know how it works!)

I do a vinyasa flow class twice a week (75 minutes, not super hard but breaks a sweat and leaves me a little sore the next day) and have one extra packet afterwards. It's also probably an hour or so after I eat breakfast. I don't find that I need any extra carbs. I'd try one extra packet ( maybe half before and ha
F after) and see how you feel with that. You might even try 2 extra since 2 hours is a lot.

Last edited by djs06; 03-04-2014 at 05:19 PM.
djs06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 05:16 AM   #33  

S/C/G: 189/157.5/135

Height: 5'

I'm going back to my kettlebell class (1 hr long) & possibly a kickboxing class. Even though I go to gentle yoga & take an intense riding lesson (horse) every week I have become flabby. I'm in a stall and have only been dropping 1lb a week. Which I'm happy that I am still losing but, at 1lb a week and 25 to go it will take me over 6 mths!! FYI - I searched out some knowledgeable IP peeps on here and was told to have a protein pack before and after excercising.

Last edited by nacygirl1; 03-05-2014 at 05:17 AM.
nacygirl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 08:28 AM   #34  
maintaining since 9/2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by djs06 View Post
My understanding is that iyengar is lower intensity with lots of emphasis on alignment (which makes sense given you're doing it for leg problems... Let us know how it works!)

I do a vinyasa flow class twice a week (75 minutes, not super hard but breaks a sweat and leaves me a little sore the next day) and have one extra packet afterwards. It's also probably an hour or so after I eat breakfast. I don't find that I need any extra carbs. I'd try one extra packet ( maybe half before and ha
F after) and see how you feel with that. You might even try 2 extra since 2 hours is a lot.
Thank-you sooo much--this is going to be so helpful!
mars735 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 10:46 AM   #35  

You're welcome! Hope you enjoy it! I've never tried Iyengar so I'll be interested to hear how you like it and how your energy level is! Good luck
Old 03-06-2014, 01:49 PM   #36  

Experimenting with a little bit more exercise this week. My month two loss was roughly 4 pounds, which was a little bit disheartening, and not only do I want to shake things up a little, I could really use an 'outlet' (I've been job hunting unsuccessfully since the summer and it's been more and more stressful as time passes).

Typically I walk the dog for about 30 minutes a day (very leisurely) and do yoga about twice a week. I have a gym membership just for the yoga classes and today I went to the gym to use the elliptical. I ended up doing 30 minutes an a 5 minute cool down with no problem. Not anywhere near the intensity that I would do under 'normal' circumstances, but still felt good.

I did try some weight training but after a few minutes I felt way too weak to continue, so I just got back on the elliptical. I suppose I could use lighter weights but I don't really see the point of doing that, so I'll continue yoga for strength and the walks/elliptical sessions for cardio and see how that goes.