Old 02-06-2014, 02:29 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 193/154/137

Height: 5' 2"

Default Maintaining IP when sick

I have managed to avoid getting sick until yesterday. Now I have either a bad cold or the flu. I do not feel like eating...what have others done to stay on track when sick?

Thanks in advance for you response.

Judith
Sopra2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 02:52 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 187+hi/177.7start IP/109/112.7

Height: 4'10"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sopra2 View Post
I have managed to avoid getting sick until yesterday. Now I have either a bad cold or the flu. I do not feel like eating...what have others done to stay on track when sick?

Thanks in advance for you response.

Judith
Fluids are important..tea, clear chicken broth and the fruity drinks alone or mixed in tea helped me the most. If your tummy feels blah...the choc and vanilla shakes or foods often are not very appetizing. The good thing is usually this phase is short lived with a cold. The flu is more serious...sleep and rest are vital...and as much fluid as you can tolerate. Some chicken breast in the broth is a good idea once you start feeling better, and eventually beaten egg in the broth will add some protein, with out any carbs. Juices and soft drinks that have sugar are dynamite BAD and not going to help much more than some herbal tea or broth...

If it goes beyond 2-3 days of not eating anything... it then is a different story, but a day or two with light food (stick to protein) is not going to be a big negative if you are hydrated. Once you start getting your appetite back...go slow with the packets...using the things that sound the most appetizing because you will tolerate that better. If you go into bronchitis or develop a sinus infection you will want to see your Dr. ASAP and if you end up on antibiotics...you may want to talk to her about which one would be the best option to take since some should not be taken on an empty stomach... or have other diet requirements while you are on them.

My Dr (and a lot of them understand) was great about working with me once she knew (and also could see I was being successful), to use an antibiotic that would NOT make me have to ditch the protocol while getting better. Just have the discussion with the right person....if you are not getting better in a few days.

Feel better..rest ...and keep the tea pot whistling...
65X65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 02:57 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 170/163/135

Height: 5'4"

Sorry to hear that you are feeling under the weather. Recently I have had the flu, followed by a cold a few weeks later, so I completely understand how crappy you feel and how worried you are about staying on plan while also getting better. Make sure you stock up on cold medicines without added sugars. I avoided ones that were liquid. I used dayquil and nyquil gel caps as well as Mucinex pills and Sudafed, just make sure you check the labels. I swear by Zinc when I get sick. Try the Cold Eeze sugar free cherry drops, they really help shorten the span of the cold/flu.

Try preparing some mild foods. There are a few recipes on here for IP friendly chicken soup which will be comforting. I just prepared a big batch of kale and cabbage soup, maybe you could try something like that just for all the vitamins and the warm broth, although I am not sure how that will be on your stomach.

Try some nice herbal teas. When I got sick I bought a bunch of different varieties to keep in the house in a range of flavors, they really help. I know it can be hard to get the packets down, but try to eat them. The puddings were pretty helpful to me when I was sick. If you puree the broccoli cheddar soup with cooked broccoli that gives you a nice warm soup that tastes pretty good. Plain chicken is also a good choice. Veggies might be hard to get down, but at least try to eat some protein if you can.

Most importantly get some rest and concentrate on feeling better.This whole experience is about taking time for ourselves to make us happier and healthier. Just be kind to your body. Get well soon!
jojobananas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 01:31 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 193/154/137

Height: 5' 2"

Thank you so much jojobananas and 65X65 for your advise. Today is a bit better than yesterday. My hubby kindly made me IP chicken soup with a little grilled chicken cut up in it for dinner last night and it tasted fantastic. This morning I made the fluffy potato rolls and some herbal tea with SF Vanilla and it really hit the spot.

Putting myself first is such a foreign thing for me. Today I am going to just rest, watch chick movies and drink lots of tea.

Have a wonderful day!

Judith
Sopra2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 01:56 PM   #5  

Location: Frederick Colorado (about 20 miles north of Denver)

S/C/G: 265/see ticker/145

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Thank you so much jojobananas and 65X65 for your advise. Today is a bit better than yesterday. My hubby kindly made me IP chicken soup with a little grilled chicken cut up in it for dinner last night and it tasted fantastic. This morning I made the fluffy potato rolls and some herbal tea with SF Vanilla and it really hit the spot.

Putting myself first is such a foreign thing for me. Today I am going to just rest, watch chick movies and drink lots of tea.

Have a wonderful day!

Judith
Hope you feel better. When I had a cold a couple of weeks ago I drank my water and TONS of hot herbal tea. I held the couch down, watched tea and I was over it within a week (which is nice most colds last 7-10 days).
ColoradoCarol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 02:08 PM   #6  
Re-start IP 1/1/14

S/C/G: 190/169/140

Height: 5'4"

It's really hard when you're sick. I had to get some pills because the liquid DayQuil/NyQuil is loaded with corn syrup. A few nights ago, I ran out of pills and was in a terrible coughing fit. I ended up taking a swig of NyQuil in desperation. But pills are your best bet. I echo what everyone else said here, and I'm glad you're feeling better!
Mom2Carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 03:31 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 187+hi/177.7start IP/109/112.7

Height: 4'10"

Quote:

Have a wonderful day!

Judith
Great...I'm so glad you're better. You will be able to get back into the full program after a few more days..just keep hydrated...and don't get on the scale until you are not only better...but 100% back ON PLAN for a few days! I advocate daily weighings...except when you are ill..then just stay off completely. It is a mind screwer! After you are back in the groove for a few days and you check in...at that point, you should NOT see anything you don't want to...and it will just be onward at that point, like nothing happened.

Last edited by 65X65; 02-07-2014 at 03:31 PM.
65X65 is offline   Reply With Quote