Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 10-26-2012, 12:37 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 230/ticker/150

Height: 5'8

Default Painkillers and exercise

I sometimes take an Advil during my TOM to get over cramps and I've found that it helps with my performance in the gym, I tend to run longer or do better on weights.

Is it unreasonable to take an Advil before working out all the time to increase my efficiency at the gym?
Katbot24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 12:46 PM   #2  
Lifelong Alaskan!

S/C/G: 230/180/150

Height: 5'5"

i think people take advil on a regular basis anyhow...i dont see why it'd be any different if you took one daily...the benefits would be an extra

me, on the other hand, i have horrid reactions to medications in my system when i run - and only when i run....advil, bayer, sudafed, things like that cause me to break out head to toe in hives when i run
alaskanlaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 01:29 PM   #3  
Fitter, Happier, Awesomer

S/C/G: 168/maintaining 115-120

Height: 5' 6"

Long term use of NSAIDs if you don't need them to function is a very bad idea. It's possible that nothing will happen. It's also possible that you could develop an ulcer or other GI issues or, over the very long term, damage your kidneys.

You'll run longer and lift more if you just keep at it.
sumire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 03:55 AM   #4  
Heading Downtown...

S/C/G: 225/165/165

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumire View Post
Long term use of NSAIDs if you don't need them to function is a very bad idea. It's possible that nothing will happen. It's also possible that you could develop an ulcer or other GI issues or, over the very long term, damage your kidneys.

You'll run longer and lift more if you just keep at it.
I totally agree here... I would steer clear from regular long term use of NSAIDs, especially before exercise... and even just "occasional" use before exercise might be problematic as well... be careful...
TripSwitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 05:24 AM   #5  

Height: 160

NSAID on a long run is not at all a good idea. It can harm your liver as well as your kidneys. They have been proved for harming both the organs if taken for long period.
ssuzana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 08:09 PM   #6  
Here to Learn

S/C/G: 225/140/135

What about taking a natural anti-inflammatory instead? There are natural anti-inflammatories such as those made from turmeric that you might find equally helpful. I take a supplement called "Curamin" every day which is a curcumin (derived from turmeric) supplement and it helps a lot with my knee pain. Actually it helps with my joint pain all over.
EagleRiverDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 09:33 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 344/119/116

Height: 5'1"

It's extremely dangerous to work out on any type of pain killer. The pain killer can mask you hurting yourself and you risk doing damage that you don't feel.
CherryPie99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 11:07 AM   #8  
to a Healthier Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleRiverDee View Post
What about taking a natural anti-inflammatory instead? There are natural anti-inflammatories such as those made from turmeric that you might find equally helpful. I take a supplement called "Curamin" every day which is a curcumin (derived from turmeric) supplement and it helps a lot with my knee pain. Actually it helps with my joint pain all over.
Thanks for sharing this. They have free samples on the .com website. I definitely want to try it first since it is pretty expensive. I tried turmeric a few years ago, but I might not have stayed on it long enough to see the benefits.

Have you found any better prices than Amazon?
Coasting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 12:42 PM   #9  
Here to Learn

S/C/G: 225/140/135

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coasting View Post
Thanks for sharing this. They have free samples on the .com website. I definitely want to try it first since it is pretty expensive. I tried turmeric a few years ago, but I might not have stayed on it long enough to see the benefits.

Have you found any better prices than Amazon?
You have to be on it for a while to notice the benefits- it does take a bit to ramp up. Some people recommend starting at a high dose- 6 a day- and then dialing it back to a lower dose until you hit the one that works for you. I generally just take 3 a day.

Amazon was the only place I looked, so I'm not sure if anyone else has better pricing.
EagleRiverDee is offline   Reply With Quote