Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 06-18-2012, 04:25 PM   #1  
back to square 1(70)

S/C/G: 176/170/150

Height: 5'5.5''

Default Chia + pineapple epiphany

I'm really in awe of this fiber-rich combo. I take some - maybe 1/3 cup - crushed pineapple (packed in juice) and a couple tablespoons of chia seeds, stir it up, and pop it in the fridge to thicken for about 15 minutes. It makes for a nice little snack that is packed with fiber and other good stuff.

Within a week of eating chia I noticed a big difference in my BM. I make sure to keep my water up when trying to up my fiber which I think helps.

Any other fans of chia? How do you eat it?
ahyessophie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 05:13 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 162/129/120

Height: 5'6''... and a half

With pancakes, hehe. It's probably not the best way, but it masks it well because I'm not overly fond of the chewy texture it sometimes has mixed in with other foods. I'll also throw some in a smoothie of course, I think that's easiest. I will try the pineapple trick though, sounds delicious!
EricAnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 08:51 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 200/120/125

Height: 5'6"

I'm intrigued....can you describe the consistency when it's done?
Mollewogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 03:36 PM   #4  
back to square 1(70)

S/C/G: 176/170/150

Height: 5'5.5''

Mollewogg it's hard for me to think of something similar... It's thick like jello but not as *set* and not smooth. Maybe a bit like risotto? Kind of a bizarre comparison but it's grainy without being crunchy, thick like pudding but not smooth. I don't find the texture displeasing at all, I know some are fussy about that.
ahyessophie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 09:42 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 200/120/125

Height: 5'6"

Definitely gonna try this!
Mollewogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 10:47 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 172/170/130

Height: 5'7

One of my favourite pre-workout snacks is 1/2 a cup of fresh squeezed orange juice, 1/2 cup of coconut water and a few spoonfuls of chia gel. I keep chia seeds soaked in a jar in the fridge all the time. I love them I find them energizing and great for digestion. They are also fantastic for hydration and protein.

I make chia gel by mixing 1 tbsp chia seeds with 1 cup filtered water. I keep the mix in the fridge and add it to smoothies, and juices.

The closest thing I have had to chia gel would be bubble-tea although the tapioca beads in bubble tea are much larger and chewier but as far as mouth feel it is similar.

Chis seeds really don't have much of a taste and some people use them to make chia pudding (kind of like tapioca pudding) using almond milk or juice. I've made it using juiced watermelon and strawberries and both were quiet good. They are considered to be a healing food and can be great for anyone who has intestinal issues because they can help heal the mucus layer in the digestive tract and provide and can help promote the growth of healthy gut flora. Chia seeds aren't just for your terracotta pet any more!
Veela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 05:46 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 202/ticker/135

Height: 5'2"

I'm just passing along some information here - I don't want to upset anyone...my friend had elevated liver enzymes. Her physician was concerned - went through a bunch of testing...long story...finally quit the chia seeds and liver enzymes went to normal. Her doctor told her that some herbal stuff doesn't agree with some people, so just keep that in mind if any problems arise.
gailr42 is offline   Reply With Quote