Old 12-30-2011, 07:46 PM   #1  
Carrielee

S/C/G: 227/190/160

Height: 5'3"

Default weighing meat

I have been reading other posts of weather to weigh it raw or cooked. I have been on ip for 4 months and have lost over 50 lbs. I sometimes weigh it before I cook it, but with some meats like roast and such i will weigh it after its cooked. I know you get alot more with cooked meat, but it really hasnt effected my loses.. well atleast i dont think it has.. i average about 3 lbs a week. soo tonight i weighed out my meat raw and then i re weighed it cooked and it was a 3 onze difference. any input on the topic, as there seems to be clashing perspectives on the topic.. even by coaches. ?
Carrielee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 09:28 PM   #2  
Restart IP 1/1/15

S/C/G: 265.5/248/150

Height: 5'3"

I was told that everything was to be weighed raw.
gs463 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 09:29 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 185/163/130

Height: 5'7"

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrielee View Post
I have been reading other posts of weather to weigh it raw or cooked. I have been on ip for 4 months and have lost over 50 lbs. I sometimes weigh it before I cook it, but with some meats like roast and such i will weigh it after its cooked. I know you get alot more with cooked meat, but it really hasnt effected my loses.. well atleast i dont think it has.. i average about 3 lbs a week. soo tonight i weighed out my meat raw and then i re weighed it cooked and it was a 3 onze difference. any input on the topic, as there seems to be clashing perspectives on the topic.. even by coaches. ?
Congratulations on your 50 lbs loss!!! I will be starting IP on Sunday and will be watching this thread for input from others.
trimup2day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 09:46 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 147/147/130

Height: 5'0

I weigh after it's cooked and have had success so far
Trinique125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 10:34 PM   #5  

S/C/G: restart 9/2/14

Truthfully I generally don't even weigh my meat as I can usually eye ball just about the right amount. If I get a little extra protein once in a while I'm fine with that.
DanafromAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 07:09 AM   #6  
Started IPD Dec 1, 2011

S/C/G: 188/182/140

Height: 5' 1 1/2"

I was told everything was to weigh raw...must say have used the Omaha Steaks 5 and 8 oz (easy since they have it weighed and I purchase based on that) And, they are hormone free. My coach told me that one of her other clients had showed a slowed weight loss and tracked it to adding some chicken to his diet. He researched and found that chicken was not free range AND had added hormones, etc in it and caused him a slowed weight loss over time. JUST an FYI.
Tmg1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 07:18 AM   #7  
Started IP 11/28/2011

S/C/G: 260.8/144/150

Height: 5'4"

My coach said to use a raw measure for veggies and a cooked weight for meat.
SewingMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 07:34 AM   #8  

S/C/G: (C/G) 143.8/147

Height: 5' 3"

Carrielee,

To be honest, I've never weighed or measured my meat or veggies on this plan. I felt like eating this way was such a departure from my horrible eating abandon prior, that eyeballing or estimating was good enough. I ate 10 oz steaks on many occasions and had 2 1/2 or 3 cups of veggies, instead of two. I'm not recommending this for everyone, but for me, I didn't want to stress about this detail. I always kept in the back of my mind, that if I was to overdo anything, a little more protein or veggie was far better than going off plan. I did, however, try to more accurately track my intake in MyFitnessPal, so I was aware of my overall calorie total and also tracked my activity. In other words, I wasn't trying to fool myself. When I had a slow week, I looked hard at the data and made adjustments. I'm sure more experienced Ipeeps may have better advice, but I though I'd offer another view point.

Good luck on your journey! If you stick with it, you'll have lots of success. This wonderful group is always here to help you along the way.

Jo
JoLoMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 09:43 AM   #9  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmg1989 View Post
I was told everything was to weigh raw...must say have used the Omaha Steaks 5 and 8 oz (easy since they have it weighed and I purchase based on that) And, they are hormone free. My coach told me that one of her other clients had showed a slowed weight loss and tracked it to adding some chicken to his diet. He researched and found that chicken was not free range AND had added hormones, etc in it and caused him a slowed weight loss over time. JUST an FYI.
+1 on the Omaha Steaks. They are delicious, and it's real easy because they tell you on the box how much each steak weighs.

As to the poster who was talking about Chicken, I had the same problem. I was getting rotisserie chicken from the supermarket, and my weight loss slowed down. Then I realized they used sugar in the basting of it, so I chalked it up to that. I didn't even consider the hormones.

Last edited by The Sandman; 12-31-2011 at 09:43 AM.
The Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 09:59 AM   #10  
Started IP 10/13/11

S/C/G: 280/170/210

Height: 5' 10

I buy Schwans's four pack filet migon (6 oz). Since they deliver to my home it works for me. It is my weekly treat ...
Endless Dieter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 11:09 AM   #11  

S/C/G: (C/G) 143.8/147

Height: 5' 3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless Dieter View Post
I buy Schwans's four pack filet migon (6 oz). Since they deliver to my home it works for me. It is my weekly treat ...
LOVE the Schwan's asparagus and micro steam broccoli - it's the best!
JoLoMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 11:40 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 234/231/180

Height: 5' 8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrielee View Post
I've been told to weigh and measure everything cooked. I wish it was uncooked because I would be eating less meat! For example, I've been buying 16 ounces (net weight) of sea scallops and after it's cooked it comes out to 7 - 8 ounces! I talked to the fish guy at my grocery store and he said they don't add any water to them. They are frozen... ???
New Englander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 11:42 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 234/231/180

Height: 5' 8"

This question (measure raw or cooked) is just another great example of how we're all receiving such conflicting information from our coaches/clinics! Fortunately, what we're all doing seems to be working, but imagine if we were all on the same page... it really would make it much easier to help each other...
New Englander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 12:43 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 294.6/see ticker/145

Height: 5'5"

I was told to measure everything raw so i measure 8oz raw meat but when its something that i can't measure raw (roast, ham, whole chicken, etc), i measure 6oz cooked.
Busymomx4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 12:50 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 249.4/see ticker/152

Height: 5'6"

I was told by my coach that everything was to be weighed raw.

But I don't weigh my meat. I "eyeball" about 8 ounces of raw meat. Cook it. Then eat as much of it as I am hungry for. Last night I ended up leaving almost a third of it on my plate because I just wasn't hungry for it anymore. I always make sure to eat my lettuce and the 2 cups of vegetables I need to eat and most times I am just too full to continue eating any more of the protein.
galpal445 is offline   Reply With Quote