Old 01-23-2019, 01:51 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 227.8/211.2/160

Height: 5'10"

Talking 40, hypothyroidism and my 2019 60+ lb weight loss journey

Hi all. I am brand new to these boards. I am really looking for women to jump on here and share encouragement and small progress wins together! I am wanting a positive, uplifting thread of warriors!

About myself: I am 40 years old. Wife, mother of two adult princesses, Christian, new empty nester. My husband and I met 13 years ago. I was an avid runner and gym fanatic at about 155-165 lbs constant. That all changed when we moved to the midwest December 31, 2007. I went from AZ warmth to frigid cold and 12 inches of snow on the ground. Waiting for spring I became sedentary. By the time flowers bloomed I found myself 180 lbs and already poor dietary choices. With in 5 months I became a couch potato. During the past several years I had struggled to lose weight but failed every time to gain it all back and more. Fast forward 12 years to January 1st this year and I was 227.8 lbs. My husband had reached 278.8 lbs.

We decided that day we needed to change. He is following keto and I am a quasi keto gal. Really trying to cut out all processed carbs, sweets, etc. I do have bananas, an occasional Flatout bread, carrots, etc. But all in all, keeping my calories at 1200 max/day and working out 5-6 times per week for a minimum of 30 minutes. All treadmill and either HIIT or incline training.

Success thus far....17 lbs gone! I can't believe it! It has been so easy and without all the fad diets I have tried in the past. Good ole fashioned hard work and healthy eating! My husband is down 17 as well.

What do I want from you? Well, accountability for each other and showing our weekly weigh ins! Who's in? Tell me about yourself and where you are currently.

Jan 1 - 227.8
Jan 8 - 220.4
Jan 15 - 216
Jan 22 - 211.2
brfoote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 09:01 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 267.4/179.6/150

Height: 5'7"

Hey brfoote. Welcome to the forums. You might want to come join us in one of the monthly threads, like
https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/100...ty-thread.html
https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/wei...e-welcome.html
https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/chi...challenge.html

We get a fair amount of activity in those threads. Some people post every day, some are just once a week or even less, but a lot of very friendly, encouraging people.

Your post sounded a lot like my journey this last year. I'm almost 41 (in April) and have hypothyroid and PCOS. A while back, my doctor put me on Metformin for the PCOS and Synthroid for the hypothyroid. Didn't really make much of a difference UNTIL I decided to make some healthy changes. Suddenly, I found that I was no longer craving sweets and the weight just has dropped off. Never before in my life have I been able to lose weight as effectively as this time, and I credit my meds for balancing my hormones and allowing that. I've been walking 30 minutes a day and recently started integrating some running (I found it was much easier to jog at 200 than at 230, especially once I got a miracle sports bra). For diet, I started making small changes, and gradually have gone from all bad to mostly good. I still eat a bit of chocolate every day and I don't deprive myself if I really want something, but I try to make smart, healthy choices at least 95% of the time, and I try to never eat anything mindlessly. If I decide to have a cookie, it is a conscious decision and I usually stop at just one.

I don't actually count my calories most days, because I tend to eat the same foods a lot, but when I do spot checks, I typically eat around 1500-1600 on an average day. So far, so good, because I'm down over 65 pounds since March and I don't feel deprived at all. I'm not losing anywhere near as fast as you are, but I'm averaging around 1.5 pounds a week, which is still the fastest I've ever lost in my life.

I wish you good health and I hope you come join us in some of the more active threads.

Last edited by Lacerta; 01-23-2019 at 09:02 PM.
Lacerta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 08:21 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 227.8/211.2/160

Height: 5'10"

Thank you for reaching out. I will try one of those above and just repost most of my background on there. Your journey seems much like mine! I am also on synthroid and have been for years. I love seeing that you have stuck this out for almost a year. Hoping to be able to say the same next January. Something has really clicked with me and really feel I will be able to reach my goals, albeit only 24 days in! Off to post in one of those other threads.

Thanks again.
brfoote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 06:29 AM   #4  

I had severe fatigue, depression and weight fluctuations during my entire adolescence, but a year and a half ago my hair started falling out. I went to the doctor and said I know I'm not going crazy, get me whatever blood tests you can think of, and I was diagnosed. My thyroid has been failing ever since, but I've been put on increasing amounts of medication Tutuapp 9Apps Showbox and I feel SO much better.
amelbeabk is offline   Reply With Quote