3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   40-Somethings (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/40-somethings-216/)
-   -   MARCH Chat (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/40-somethings/276738-march-chat.html)

NEMom 03-18-2013 09:33 AM

Happy Monday All!!

2FatCats-Glad things are still on track for you and your are doing well!

MrsTrying - I am sorry that DH is getting sick from his meds and that you are having a rough TOM cycle. I am right there with you this month, last night I did not get hardly any sleep, the night sweats and nightmares I get during my cycle are driving me crazy. Love, Love Love the pictures. Thank you for sharing them.

June - I am sorry to hear about the problems your brother is having. Bi polar is hard enough to deal with the right meds when they start messing with them, ugh, it gets out of control. Hope things get better soon.

I did not have a good food weekend. I really need to get my head on straight and figure out why I am not losing. I need to break the start/stop cycle that has been stalling my weight loss efforts and keeping me stuck for the last year. I did not sleep well at all last night so I did not get up and exercise this morning. I hope I can get it done tonight because I really do not want to get too far off track.
Hope you all have a wonderful Monday!!

Moondance 03-18-2013 11:15 AM

Happy Monday! :D

Weigh in day...down 1 pound. Finally hit the 10 pound loss mark. Hopefully it's not related to TOM, as is often the case (yes, I lose during TOM instead of gain like everyone else). Weekend was ok. Went skiing Friday, but only for a half-day. Should have gone longer, but just so sleepy! Saturday and Sunday were kind of a waste. I didn't do much...read, some household chores, etc. but nothing that exerted myself. It's hard to keep under the calorie count I'm not moving. Went over both days. I've got to figure out why I'm so lazy on the weekends (when I'm home anyway).

Zumbachica: Nice to see you! Hope you're getting things figured out!

NEMom: I have a 3 day weekend every other week, but yes, 9 hour days can be taxing! Don't give up trying. Life's struggles often get in the way. The key is that you're not reverting back to old habits and putting the weight back on. Sometimes the more stressful and chaotic life gets, the more you can be nice to yourself by eating right and finding time to exercise. I'm thinking of you!

2FatCats: Hope you're having a great, on-plan day!

kelijpa: I hate the saying, but it's true: slow and steady wins the race! I'm slow too, but determined not to give up! You hang in there too.

bbrides: Yes, there will be many hiccups along the way. And you're right, one mis-step doesn't derail the whole program. Sounds like your head is in the right place!

junem: Sorry to hear about your brother. It's so hard when the ones we love are hurting, especially when we're so far away and can't help.

trukmek: It's not fat I crave, but sugar. Some days are better than others. Recognizing the problem is half the battle. Hang in there!

MrsTryingAgain: I'm sorry you're off-track a little. You've had a lot on your plate these last 2 weeks, focusing on H's recovery. Add a crazy TOM on top (with cravings) and you've got a lot to deal with. But you haven't quit walking (love the pics...I think the purple flowers are on a vinca vine...but don't quote me on that) so you're still headed in the right direction. One day at a time...

LuvCats: Keeping my fingers crossed for your weigh in tomorrow. Glad you're still on-plan!

petra65: You too have a lot going on. Your husband is quite a guy to be staying with his mom like that. Hope those anitbiotics kick in quick. I'm the one who asked about sugar. I've never been able to fully detox from it. The headaches and other withdrawl symptoms become intolerable. Kudos to you for successfully kicking the sugar habit!

2FatCats 03-18-2013 11:32 AM

Morning All:

Just a quick hello and tip o' the day:

Going bra/undies shopping is always an adventure when my husband tags along. He picks out the skimpiest little string-looking things and says, "these would look great on you!" Yeah...if you could find them.... No matter my weight - he is convinced that dental floss is comfortable.
In the spirit of things, I grabbed a tiny little see-thru number at the dept store and turned around while 'modeling' it in front of my body.

Here's the TIP: Ensure that BEFORE you say something totally inappropriate in the lingerie section that your hubby hasn't wandered off and some other gal's spouse isn't standing near you.:o

ukemama 03-18-2013 05:26 PM

^hahahaha! 2FatCats! I can totally picture this.

Sounds like those checking in today had a nice weekend and stayed OP. I did, too. Hoping to see some sort of result this week be it looser pants or a dropping scale.

I took DD to the allergist today for the first time. She has had bad seasonal allergies and they are getting worse and medication doesn't seem to really help. They did the skin prick test and also did a lung function test on her, which I thought was unusual. But the doc said that because people with eczema tend to have asthma, we should check her.

Well, guess what? She DOES have asthma and it's bad! I was so shocked - she's never exhibited any symptoms of asthma. The only thing that sometimes happened to her was that her undereye area would get purple during allergy season. We've never seen her having troubles breathing or wheezing.

I feel like rotten mother of the year. She just turned 11 and we've never addressed this. Now she's on meds and should have a lot of improvement soon. Still, I feel so bad that we didn't get her help sooner.

Magicsusan 03-19-2013 12:13 AM

Don't feel bad, Ukemama; you got her help when she needed it, that's what's important.

NEMom, thanks for the words; i am meeting with her therapist today. I find this rather intimidating, because the discussion will be in german, and in spite of 20 odd years over here, I'm never sure if I'm really making myself understood.

On the weight front, this morning is weigh in day. I am hanging in there, but feel like I need a re-focus. Will work on that.

Spring would help a lot, dang blang it!:mad:

Sorry I didn't reply to everyone- I'm navigating on my ipad in bed at 5 a.m.. Later this week I hope to find time to sit down at my real computer and spend some more time with it. For now, look for me in the weigh in thread, for better or for worse!

ukemama 03-19-2013 08:38 AM

Morning all!

Magicsusan, I hope the appointment goes well today. Be strong! BTW, I had to do a double-take when I saw your weight goals. At first I said, "Sixty pounds?!?!" and then I saw the kilogram notation. Whoops! Wish I could still blame my crooked reading on the vertigo.

My FIL is coming in from AZ tonight. He is taking us out to dinner - at an Italian place. I need to get online and see if there is some non-pasta/low carb option for me. I will have to resist the wine, too. My FIL has a terrible habit of ordering several bottles of wine and then filling people's glasses for them - as in almost up to the top of the glass. You can tell him you're done or not drinking and he doesn't stop. I'm thinking about going to the extreme and telling him I can't drink because I'm pregnant -which certainly isn't the case. I guess that would be pretty mean. :devil:

Happy thoughts to everyone!

Lisarsmiles 03-19-2013 09:36 AM

Kristy - Just read your Sunday post. I didn't know about getting pinched if you didn't wear green until church on Sunday morning (and I'm 45). I don't know how I missed this tradition all these years, but I'm so glad I had put on green nail polish and avoided the pain! I just read an interesting thought in Reader's Digest that registered true to me, so I'll quote it here for your consideration:

"Imagine it this way; In front of you is a dashboard, just like in your car. One of the gauges is willpower. When that needle is pointing to full, you are cruising along, ignoring all the fatty foods that make you heavy. But each time you're tempted by something and tap a little willpower to avoid it, the needle slips a bit. After a full day of denying yourself, your willpower is on empty - and that's why you go elbow-deep into a bag of chips. So a little indulgence - a cookie at breakfast or the occasional cheat meal - keeps that needle tending toward full and strengthens your willpower over the long haul."
[Readers' Digest, April 2012, page 156]

I know that when I stray away from healthy eating even a little I guilt myself so severely for failing that I stray "elbow-deep" making everything worse. I'm going to start allowing small indulgences, and not guilt myself over it, to help keep my willpower stronger...this makes sense to me!

trukmek 03-19-2013 09:47 AM

MrsTryingAgain...got any good fishing holes up that way? I got my license a couple of weeks ago so I could take my son out to use the fishing stuff he got for Christmas, but don't know where to go other than the mountains (which I don't want to drive). You aren't that far from me (Sacramento). Also love the pics you post, thanks for sharing.

petra65...it's nice that your DH is helping your dad out. I understand the frustration of him being the only one though. I have an aunt who is all alone, and I'm the only one who ever calls her just because. I do it because I know she can't get out very easily, and she seems to be very lonely. She never had kids and we are all the family she has left.

NEmom...hang in there, that scale is bound to budge eventually.

Moondance...wtg on the pound down! Hope it's not TOM either.

2fatcats...that would be very embarrassing! I've done similar with my son, but not while lingerie shopping! Too funny!

ukemama...my son was diagnosed for the first time at the same age. He would also get the dark circles, but never the wheezing. He did finally get a cough that would not go away, which was how his doctor found it. Maybe it's just an age thing and so you wouldn't have known anyway. Enjoy the visit with your FIL tonight, and hope you find something edible at the restaurant. Good luck on the wine thing.

I'm retaining fluid right now, so stepping on the scale has been a little depressing. I had bought a nutri-bullet to start making my own juices/power drinks, though. So far my daughter and I are using it a lot. Just need more recipes that don't have so much fruit in them. We've been experimenting with some good and some yuck results, LOL

Kristy

Moondance 03-19-2013 12:32 PM

Happy Tuesday! :D

My new lifestyle is really being challenged right now. It's hard to not fall back into old habits (and sacrifices, really). Do I workout after work like I do every day or skip it and go watch DD#2 play in a tennis match? These are the priorities I'm faced with.

2FatCats: LOL! I can just picture the scenario... So, what did the guy do?

ukemama: Hey, don't feel bad about the asthma thing. You're doing the best you know how. When DD#1 was 4, she had a broken wrist for 4 days before we finally took her to the Dr. You're taking care of it now and that's the point. As for your FIL, what if there isn't a glass on the table for him to fill for you? I'm sorry he doesn't respect your choices. Some folks are just like that. Good plan to look ahead at the menu. Good luck tonight!

Magicsusan: Don't let the therapist intimidate you. Her job is to understand what you're saying. It's probably not as bad as you're fearing anyway. Hang in there...spring is on the way (officially tomorrow!!).

Lisarsmiles: I can't believe you've never heard of the pinching thing. Did you go to elementary school? ;) Thank goodness for fingernail polish! The dashboard analogy is interesting . The key is to have just one cookie, not the whole box. Portion control is where I struggle. Sounds like its helpful to you...GOOD!

trukmek: Fishing is such a great past time! Hope you get rid of the extra fluids soon. If it's too frustrating, don't get on the scale at all until it's gone.

Hope everyone else has a great, on-plan day!

LuvCats 03-19-2013 12:44 PM

Wow the idea of having no sugar/soda seems unfathomable to me, Petra. Great job at being healthy! Hope things improve for DH & his family.

I hate days after I don't sleep well, NEMom. They are no fun. Hang in there you will get back to losing!

Moondance: What are your weeks like? Are they crazy busy? If so your body might simply be crashing on the weekends. Yay for the loss. Keep it going! Editing to add: We crossposted. Uggh @ the choice between workout and go to a kids sporting event. Maybe you could go to the tennis game but stand where you can run/march in place?

2FatCats: ROFL that is tooooo funny. My oldest used to work for VS. She said in general men (at the store shopping with a female) tended to respond in 2 ways: 1) They would stop at the outside doors as if there was an invisible "do not cross" line and would not budge. 2) They would stop at the end of the pink section (not a whole lot of sexy underwear in that... more sweats and tops type stuff) at that same invisible line.

Ukemama: If your dd didn't have any signs how could you know? Even if there were some signs you (I assume, lol) aren't a doctor. You did something when you saw something that needed attention. As for FIL and wine... are you trying to get PG and or might be soon? If so you could say you aren't drinking because you are trying.

Lol Magicsusan even posting at 5 a.m. would be amazing for me. I am so not a morning person. Good luck on refocusing. You can do it!

I love that food for thought about willpower, Lisa. Thanks for sharing it! Sounds like you've got a good plan in place. Oh, and ha ha my daughter did the green nail polish too.

We have a magic bullet, Kristy. I imagine it is about the same as your machine. I haven't used it a whole lot but I can see the potential.

As for me, I'm down .2 this week. More than acceptable after eating out 2x this week. This week I am preparing to fly to go see my oldest daughter in CA. Plus teaching my youngest DD to drive just began Sunday. She has today off school so hopefully we can find another empty parking lot and do a little work.

MrsTryingAgain 03-20-2013 01:11 AM

So-so day...Over-ate, walked. Still struggling with my TOM. I'm soooo ready for my monthly visitor to leave! I'm hoping tomorrow will be more productive.

trukmek: Yes! Lots of fishing! Right this moment H is sorting through his fishing "stuff" (I have another word for it! ;) ) There is Lake Oroville, some ponds, the Feather River. H has a fondness though for some of the mt. rivers in the hills around here & one coastal lake. But the moment he gets the OK from the dr. & a licence...he is probably going to HOUND me to take him somewhere to throw a lure or nightcrawler at some fishy, fishy, fishy. He loves to fish for trout, bass, blue gill, etc.

Moondance: I also think it is Vinca. Bidwell Park used to belong to the Bidwell's (a very wealthy, prominent familiy), it was also used to film the 1938 movie Adventures of Robin Hood with Errol Flynn. It's an awesome place to walk. You will find things like Camelias, roses & other things that you'd find in yards growing there. Two parts of the park are actual swimming "pools", if such at thing could be classified by a creek being the "pool". Either way, it's a great place.

NEMom: I need to get my head on straight too! I think that is why H & I need a vaca!!! We can't seem to get the rest/rejuvination we need. But once we get the okay from the dr. & our tax return back, I'm putting in for time OFF!!!! Hope things are going better with your son. I think of you two often. :hug::hug:

:dust::dust::dust::dust::dust:
I'm sure we can all use this to help us get through the rest of this week! More laters!!!

ukemama 03-20-2013 08:32 AM

Moondance - definitely Vinca. It can be so invasive it's like a weed!

NEMom - I feel for you on the plateau thing. I am so frustrated. Weigh in day today - NOTHING lost still. Yesterday I made the mistake if telling my female boss how disappointed I was with being so good yet seeing no results. To which she responded, "Well, how about just eating right and exercising?" Umm, yeah...that's what I HAVE been doing. Remind me to never discuss weight loss with 90# woman who eats half a yogurt for lunch and declares she's "too full" to finish the rest.

MrsTryingAgain - I think you are more than overdue for a vacation. I hope it comes soon!

I was a good girl last night. I had a salmon salad, a piece of bread the size of a golf ball and one glass of red wine. FIL was not pushing wine on anyone! Yeah!

ETA: Forgot to add this -thanks to all for making me feel like less of a schmuck for getting a late diagnosis on DD's asthma. Better late than never. She has felt so much better these last two mornings with her new meds and I'm so happy for that!

NEMom 03-20-2013 10:14 AM

Happy Wednesday wonderful ladies! Make it through today and we are halfway through the week.

Ukemama- So glad your DD is feeling better on new meds. I can totally relate to the mommy guilt for not catching things sooner. If only we really could read minds or have a crystal ball, being a parent would be so much easier.

Moondance-You are one busy momma. It's a tough choice - work out or support your children in their activities. I would probably have to choose watching the activities because the time they participate is so short and I would feel like the one I miss I would miss their best performance or moves. Def. rough decisions.

LvCats Yeah for the loss! Expicially with eating out 2x. Teaching teenagers to drive - Oh boy do I remember those days. All I can say is, better you than me. LOL - Good luck.

Mrs.Trying-Vacation - oh boy I feel ya there. I am hoping once we get the weekend house we can finally have a vacation or at least some relaxing long weekends. My DH is a fishing freak too and so is his dad. They now have 2 boats to fish in and I can't lett you how many rods and reels he has. Drives me nuts! Thank you so much for you thoughts of my son and I. Brings tears to my eyes that somone I have never met cares so much. Thank you.

Life on the home front has been, can I say STRESSFUL!! Work is crazy and home is crazy. My son is doing better but we are still working through some things. Now, not only am I worried about my son but I am finding out that I now have problems with my foster son. It is hard to put into words all of my conflicting emotions. There are too many 'bad' things that I never thought I would have to deal with that I do have to face. Its like the light and sunshine in my home is being covered with storm clouds and darkness. I want to be an ostridge and put my head in the sand but I can't and it sucks.
My eating has been Eh, could be better, could be worse. I am still working on C2K5 program but am struggeling and have had to move back some steps in the program. My mind has been weak and instead of pushing through and completing the running, I allow myself to stop and take a walking break. I know most of it is mind over matter and my mind is weak right now.
From the bottom of my heart, I want to thank each of you for being 'here' for me and for caring about my son.

LindaWW 03-20-2013 10:19 AM

I'm checking in - still plodding along. My oldest daughter and her family are here for their spring break, and it's harder counting calories with company. I was thought I was being so good yesterday - skipped all the yummy muffins and doughnuts we picked up for breakfast, ate my regular lunch, and had the lowest calorie plate at Olive Garden for dinner last night. Then came home and had a couple glasses of wine while we sat and visited, which led to some crackers and cheese. I thought I had done pretty good, but when I sat down and added it up, I was at 2000 calories for the day! And they're going to be here for 4 more days! I am committed to get my exercise in while they're here, but the treadmill is in the baby's room, and he naps a lot. It's going to be a challenge, but my goal is to at least not gain while they're here. If I have to lose those same 2 pounds I keep going up and down one more time, I'm liable to go ballistic!
Have a good week everyone - and I'll check in when I can. Gotta go squeeze those grandkids some more!

Moondance 03-20-2013 10:23 AM

Happy Wednesday! :D

Yesterday was a great, on-plan day! Came in under my calorie limit and added weight training to my exercise regime. Scale still said 191 this morning, so the loss may be real (not skewed by TOM). DH went to tennis match, so I worked out. I'll go to a make-up match today instead. Pretty happy about that...now if I could just sleep...

ukemama: I've got a woman in my office like that too. I don't see how she can function with the little food she consumes. Guess that's why she weighs 90#'s. I don't discuss my weight loss with any co-workers. I'm sooo glad your DD is feeling better already! And hooray for non-wine-pushing-FIL's!

MrsTryingAgain:
Bidwell Park. For some reason it's ringing a bell. I've never been to that part of CA so it can't be that. It's the name Bidwell. Must have heard it in a movie or TV show at some time. Anyway, it's lovely, especially the wildlife! It must not be too far from your home. How lucky! Keep the pics coming.

LuvCats: Yes part of it is just recovery from the work week. But I also think it's a mental block. After 25 years of housekeeping, I'm just tired of doing it. I hate doing most of it, so I put it off as long as I can. Actually, I think that's one of my eating triggers...to avoid working. Or, looking to get energy from food so I'll do the work, even though I don't want to. Either way, I consume food when I'm not really hungry. Have a wonderful time in CA with your DD. I'm sure you miss her!

Have a great, on-plan day everyone! :sunny: Oh...and happy first day of Spring!!! :flow1::flow1::flow1: