3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   40-Somethings (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/40-somethings-216/)
-   -   40 Somethings March Week 1 chat! (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/40-somethings/195605-40-somethings-march-week-1-chat.html)

SuzyMc 03-01-2010 08:22 PM

Horrible day today. I've done ok with my eating, but right now it's all I can do to stay out of the kitchen, so I'm going to unload a bit here and see if that helps. Number one...I'm an emotional eater. I eat if I'm upset, bored, sad, lonely, happy, mad...you get the picture. Now a little history...about a year ago my sister was diagnosed with a very aggressive form Hodgkin's Lymphoma. She went through chemo and just finished radiation before Christmas. Her oncologist was very optimistic after she finished treatment saying that he was 95% certain that her cancer would not return. Over the weekend my sister developed a cough (one of the first symptoms that she had with the lymphoma) and has been short of breath. She called the doctor and they set her up with a cat scan, echo-cardiogram and of course, blood work first thing tomorrow. Her oncologist wouldn't say one way or the other, but it's really pretty apparent that the cancer has returned.
It has been over the past year that I have gained a lot of my weight. Lots of stress, lots of eating out because of the long trips to the cancer center, and did I mention lots of stress? I'm just getting back on track and I can't let myself go backwards. I need to get this weight off and I need to be healthy. Someone please tell me what I need to do to stay in control of my eating when I am stressed. Ideas???

petra65 03-01-2010 10:29 PM

Suzy-sorry to hear about your sister. What I usually tell myself when I want to eat for emotional reasons is that the food won't make it any better and I will end of feeling worse for having eaten it.

AZ-nice to see you again

I remember the PA mud in March. I used to hate that when the snow melted. My backyard would turn into a big mud pit and the dogs would constantly be tracking mud into my house. I couldn't keep the place clean.

Much better day for me with calories and spent almost 40 minutes on my Wii Fit tonight. Also had some new pictures taken today. Surpirsingly, despite my scale being stuck I think I can see a little progress in the pics. I'll try to post a couple.

Onmyway 03-01-2010 10:58 PM

Petra, I know what you mean about dogs and mud! Finally trained our dog to come in and roll onto her back so we can wipe her paws! Hope you enjoyed your dinner out with your friend. Don't let one meal derail your progress. Looking forward to seeing your new pics!

Suzy, Sorry to hear about your sister. Petra is right, food will not make you feel better. Keep coming here to post to get your mind off things. Sounds like your sister will be needing you, you need to be at your best for her. 4 pounds is great progress!

Az, glad to hear from you again. What is it with men being such babies when they are sick? My DH is horrible! I almost can't feel sorry for him since he makes such a big deal about it!

Annie, Glad to hear that Tootsie's blood work showed no spread. Hope she's feeling better.

Newleaf, Pink eye! What next? With everything else going on you really deserve a break. Hope your son is feeling better.

Peanutsmom, How about an exercise goal or a goal to journal everyday? I know how easy it is to let the scale be our only indicator of success but I know how uncooperative it can be at times!

Marie, Keep listening to your body. You'll be walking those hills with those dogs before you know it!

Momforever, Welcome to our group! Good luck with your 5 pound goal!

Stayed under 1500 calories today. TOM is due any day so that may explain why my scale is stuck. Rode the exer bike and did some WiiFit tonight. I've learned that while I can control what I put in my mouth and how much exercise I get, I have no control over the scale and the number that pops up each day. I can only keep doing what I know works and eventually the scale will do the right thing.

petra65 03-01-2010 11:20 PM

I give up trying to post pictures here. I'll try to put some on my blog if anyone wants to see them.

AZ Manatee 03-02-2010 12:24 AM

Kittehmomma – Ups and downs are part of the process I am learning that too, keep on track and you’ll get there. I always hate though when I see a jump on the scale I am not expecting.

Petra – Glad to hear you survived on call last week and sorry about the over the top issues with BF. Your new goal this month may just be what the doctor ordered, :flow2: pun intended and yes I wrote that all by myself!

Peanutsmom – Glad your project at work is behind you for now at least. Thanks for starting the March Weight Lost thread, just added my goal!

Annie – Was so happy to read that Tootsie made it through surgery okay and is on her way to a recovery, I thought about you often during my absence. Maybe you can find a healthier alternative to your slimfast bars…here’s wishing, worst case maybe it can be that treat you incorporate into your calorie plan.

Lambchop – Love the new photo and you take that half marathon anyway you want, you are amazing! :cheer:Enjoy your vacation!:beach:

Marie – Glad you are home and settling into your routine, I know it was great to see your doggies again. I miss my animals like crazy when I am away.

LoriAnn – You did well with your eating out when visiting your family, sometimes you do what you have to and you found your way through.

SuzyMC – Way to go on your loss! It is so inspiring. I am saddened by your sister’s potential set back and I will (as many other here will) keep your family in my prayers. I hardly feel like I can offer advice, but here goes - try to remember when you are sad, mad, tired, exhausted, stressed beyond measure that is when your body, spirit and mind need the best nourishment you can get your hands on. So you can emotionally eat, just try to make healthier choices, smaller portions, and try to focus on your breathing. I will post separately about a specific exercise that I love and too often forget to use. My heartfelt wishes for your family.

Momforever – Welcome, jump in and have fun…we are all in this together.

Heidi – I am happy that you are feeling rejuvenated in light of everything you have been through these past weeks, I am always admiring your positive spirit! Best wishes finding the best doctor, he or she is out there. We went through conjunctivitis with our son, not fun but the drops work pretty quickly thankfully. I hope your eyes respond quickly. And, the love affair IS over…look at you girl, no candy hearts even at 75% off!

On my way – You are right on, the scale is NOT our only indicator of success, I will try to remember that too!

CruiseCat – Good luck with the renovations, hope you are not stressed because of it.

Kathi/WLW – So glad your are taking you son’s remarks about his 'other mom' in stride, that remark would make me furious :bomb:, but I agree…I think it was Marie who said it, he will figure things out when he grows up, you are his only mom. It is a tough job, but you are helping him more by not helping him. Good luck with the apartment decisions too, I think I might rather be upstairs too but maybe take the flight a time or two and see how you feel.

Bellefonte – Awesome job with Slim In 6! Let me know when you try Burn It Up, I am not there yet.

Hello to everyone else! Wishing us all a successful month!

AZ Manatee 03-02-2010 01:11 AM

Being an emotional eater and just having been through a rough couple of weeks with work, family illnesses, etc. I wanted to share this with everyone. I was reminded when watching the olympics and seeing speed skater Apolo Ohno intentionally yawning before races to relax a bit and get a little extra oxygen into his lungs. The technique is different than Ohno's though, I learned it several years ago and I forget how effective it is until I am super grumpy or stressed and then I start doing it again and see almost immediate results. You can do it anywhere at any time and it is really easy to do. The source of the exercise is from an audio lecture I heard by Dr. Andrew Weil. I also found it on his website and although I am not sure I can post the link here, I will try and if it is removed, just google the 4-7-8 relaxing breathing technique by Dr. Andrew Weil and it should most definitely show. Give it a try next time you are stressed or emotional or whatever and see if it does anything for you.
http://www.drweil.com/drw/u/ART00521...exercises.html

KittehMomma 03-02-2010 08:05 AM

Good morning, all.

After yesterday's bounce up, my weight bounced down again--go figure. Worked too long yesterday, and I was strongly tempted to stop at the store and buy some ready-to-eat comfort food. The thought of 'fessing' up on this forum kept me on track. I went straight home and opened one of my 'emergency' cans of soup--one I'd selected to be filling without too many calories. Today, I'm training all day--going to be stressful, but I'm packing my meals and snacks so I'll have the right foods at hand.

We've had such a mild winter this year in the PNW, I've had daffodils for several weeks. My crocus are still going strong. Crazy. My fear is that we'll have a hard frost and the flowers and trees will have a severe setback.

Newleaf--pink eye sucks. Take care of yourself.

Annie--that's great news about Tootsie.

Suzy -- I stress eat, too, and I don't have anything near the stressors you're experiencing. I'm so sorry about your sister. Sending good thoughts her way.

AZ -- hello.

Mom4ever--welcome. I'm a newbie, too.

OMW -- I weigh myself at the same time everyday, and it is far too easy to get caught up in the numbers, and then I'm down when my numbers inexplicably rise (as noted in my previous post). I have to keep reminding myself to be aware of my clothing, feeling how it is getting looser, and I try to keep track of my exercise sessions, as a visual reminder of my commitment. It's hard, though.

Sorry if I missed anyone. Congrats on all the losses. Busy day today, gotta run.

AnnieDrews 03-02-2010 09:53 AM

Hello to everyone!

SuzyMc-I do hope everything comes out clear for your sister on her tests. I know it is easy to expect the worst in these situations, but maybe it is just a simple cough. Please let us know how her tests come out. I'll be praying for her. Be strong!

I am feeling way out of sorts this morning. I was up most of the night with my dog. She tore her stitches out (just the ones that aren't covered by the bandages) and I had to take her back to the vet this morning. I sure hope it is a simple and inexpensive fix. At her age, I don't want her to have to go through much more trauma after the surgery. Along with the spay, they basically did a bilateral radical mastectomy.

Of course I didn't exercise this morning. So my goal for the day is just to eat sensibly and keep hydrated. I hope to catch up on my sleep tonight.

Have a good day everyone.

AnnieDrews 03-02-2010 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by petra65 (Post 3179788)
I give up trying to post pictures here. I'll try to put some on my blog if anyone wants to see them.

Petra-I am not able to view your blog....it says it doesn't exist and would I like to make my own account....:?:

SuzyMc 03-02-2010 10:45 AM

Thank you all for your kind words and support! It sounds like most of us here are stress eaters. We all know that that there are better ways to handle our problems, so what makes it so hard not to go to the cookie jar when we are feeling down?

Petra ~ How do I get to your blog? I would love to see the photos! I've been thinking about getting a wii. My grandkids have one and I can always tell that I've done something after an evening of wii with them!

Onmyway ~ You're doing great! I try not to get on the scale that one week out of the month...it's never an accurate measurement.

Manatee ~ Thank you so much for the link. I will try the breathing technique and see if it helps. If anything just being more aware of the fact that I am wanting to eat when I am not hungry will be a good thing.

KittehMomma ~ Good for you for not stopping at the store! That's a great victory!

Annie ~ I'm sorry to hear that you and Tootsie had such a rough night! Hopefully today will go smoothly for you both!

Newleaf ~ How are you feeling today? I taught Pre-K for quite a few years and I would always catch pink eye every it was going around...it didn't matter how much hand sanitizer I used!

Momforever ~ Welcome to the group!

Marie ~ I know you're anxious to get back to your normal routine, but please be careful!

Onmyway 03-02-2010 11:03 AM

Good morning! Took a half day from work today to go to the dentist. UGH! 2 fillings this am and I'm very numb. Made my appt. early so I wouldn't have to think about it all day. I am a dental wimp! Oh well, it's done!

Suzy, We love our Wii. I enjoy doing the WiiFit. It's easy to get 30 or 40 minute of exercise without even thinking about it! The time adds up!

Annie, Sorry about Tootsie. Can they give her a collar to keep her from getting at her stitches? Don't worry about missing one day of exercise as long as it doesn't become a habit! You are doing great!

Kitteh, That's the great thing about these boards, they keep us accountable. Glad you were able to steer clear of the comfort food! Sounds like you have a plan to get through the stress today!

AZ, thanks for the link. I'm a big fan of deep breathing. It's amazing how good it feels and how relaxing it can be. I've had problems with anxiety in the past and it has helped me tremendously!

Petra, I'm also unable to get to your blog.

Heading to work at noon. I'm going to treat myself to a salad from Panera for lunch. They now post calories on their menu board so it's easy to make a good choice when the numbers are right there in front of you. Hope all of you have a terrific Tuesday!

AnnieDrews 03-02-2010 11:17 AM

OnMyWay-LOL @ "dental wimp"....me too, sister!!:D

I have been meaning to ask you where you are in Missouri. I love visiting Missouri and wish I had more time to spend exploring there. We have gone to Branson several times, but stay outside of all the "Strip" areas and have a view of the lake.

I do hope they send a collar home for Tootsie. I don't look forward to making her wear it, but it is necessary.

Onmyway 03-02-2010 11:26 AM

Annie, I'm outside St. Louis. We've lived here for 16 years. I have never been to Branson!

Marie 03-02-2010 11:36 AM

Annie, your bars might not be great nutrition but with 8 grams of protein, they are way better than a candy bar. If you love them, I’d make room in my cal budget and leave them there. They aren’t a bad choice. And here’s hoping Tootsie has a speedy recovery.

Newleaf, hugs on the eye problem now. You’re having a tough time this year. It is humorous that you rationalized it away but I’m glad you got to the dr.

Natalie, I think winter gives all the blues after a time. I hope March is better for you. Thanks for the link to the breathing exercises. That is an awesome article and I bookmarked it so I can keep going back when I get the techniques confused in my mind.

Suzy, I am so sorry to hear about your dear sister. Your eating is very understandable. Most of us here use food for comfort and you need it. One thing I can offer is looking at your height and weight, you are not unhealthy. Wanting to be healthy is admirable but at this point please don’t beat yourself up about it. Once the immediate stressors are absorbed you will be able to deal with the eating better. And as everyone knows, exercise helps reduce stress. Perhaps you can work in that area. OK, on to your later post – the way I bypass the cookie jar when stressed – I ask myself before reaching “Will I feel better or worse in 5 minutes if I have the cookie (or whatever)”. Nearly always it stops me for stress eating.

Petra, I’m glad you’re doing better. I relate with the mud/dog problem. My wood floors are filthy and I can’t do anything about them (even if I wanted to at this point) until everything dries out and the desert I supposedly live in returns.

OMW, how cool of a doggie trick. My dogs would never roll over so I could wipe their paws. That’s such a cool visual. And welcome to the 40s scale epiphany. Truly we can be perfect with exercise and food and the scale will be evil. The realization it will eventually budge really is quite liberating.

Kitteh, we definitely have been having a mild winter. I saw that office’s lilac bushes have buds. I was so excited when I pointed them out yesterday. I love spring and summer. I envy CruiseCat’s plans to retire to Mexico. I definitely am starting to contemplate that since I really hate winter.

Nothing new here. More discovered stitches that DH is taking out (he took out 8 on Sunday and one this morning). They were under scabs so that’s why they weren’t found. I did the same elliptical routine yesterday as Sunday and I think it is a good balance. Truly not a big aerobic or strength workout but it’s movement. My asthma has improved the last few days and that is a relief. I turn into a raving lunatic on prednisone and was desperately trying to avoid that step.
Marie

newleaf123 03-02-2010 11:50 AM

I'll be back to post later, but here is a link to Petra's Progress Pictures: http://www.3fatchicks.com/diet-blogs...ress-pictures/

I remembered that I couldn't access her blog last time, and eventually figured it out at that time -- and then I was able to hunt down the right link in my history...

Petra your shape is on the move!! I definitely see differences... You are looking great!