3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   40-Somethings (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/40-somethings-216/)
-   -   40-somethings September Week 1 Chat (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/40-somethings/181193-40-somethings-september-week-1-chat.html)

CruiseCAT 09-07-2009 08:37 AM

40-somethings September Week 1 Chat

Well the lack of appetite only lasted a couple days and then I wanted to eat everything in the house. We still have some not so good stuff so I will have one more planned day of eating crap.

Tomorrow I am back on it.

Hydra 09-07-2009 11:19 AM

I will be getting lots of exercise today walking around at the Renaissance Festival! :dancer: Pete and I will be meeting some friends there in just a little bit. I really enjoy the festival every year and I am not worried about gorging on turkey legs and beer....I am worried about spending too much money on all the handcrafted cool stuff they will have, lol.

We went grocery shopping this weekend and I loaded up on fruit, veggies, seafood, lean meats, nuts, gluten free bread and my beloved coffee. I hope everyone has a nice holiday and a good week!!! :carrot:

gardenerjoy 09-07-2009 12:15 PM

Marie: That sounds like amazing pizza! What a wonderful day you had berry-ing and hiking. Hope the biking was just as fun.

weightlosswanted: that does sound like a challenging schedule. Yay for losing the number to the Chinese place!

Primm: What a great plan you have for dinner with a challenging schedule! I hope you're able to get back on the exercise habit, soon. I assume that's challenging, too?

Mitzee: welcome! I'm new, too, and I've found 3FC a wonderful motivator and this group, in particular, is very warm and friendly.

Everyone else: Hi! Hope you're all having a great holiday weekend.

Our visit to the in-laws went fine -- and I met all of my goals. We actually walked twice! That really helped balance the meal that I had a little less control over than I do at home. Today will be quiet with some food prep to help later in the week -- baking whole grain bread in the bread machine and making watermelon sorbet.

dmc2009 09-07-2009 02:08 PM

New Week, new beginning

Hi all,
Slept in and today I am just hanging out. Might go for a walk later with DD if she is up for it.

Yogurt and granola for breakfast, and going to try to stay on plan all day.

Oh.. I did buy some steak and corn on the cob for our dinner later, but I won't put any butter on corn and I will make it small pieces, I might add mine to a bountiful salad to stretch it along.

Hope everyone is doing well and enjoying the extra day off.

Marie, I think you are right, I might go over to Michaels and see what I can find to do, maybe crochet again, or art... I want to paint!

CanadaMel 09-07-2009 04:10 PM

Hello ladies, haven't been on the 40s board in while. Was busy with the kids all summer, but now have some more 'me' time now that we're all back in a routine. My exercise dropped off dramatically in the summer, so trying to ramp that up in time for the fall biggest loser challenge.
Hope everyone is enjoying the labor day holiday & I'll make a better effort to get on here regularly.

weightlosswanted 09-07-2009 06:24 PM

Hydra: I went to the Renaissance Festival in Houston Tx while I lived there and absolutely loved it! I know what you mean about spending all your money on the crafts : )
Cruise: so sorry you're still struggling, glad you're cutting yourself some slack.
Mel: welcome back! I'm pretty new but have found this to be an inspirational group.
dmc: I love corn on the cob! I've found a couple of squirts of I Can't Believe It's Not Butter spray gives me the taste of butter I crave on my corn without the fat and calories.
Mitzee: welcome! this is a great support group.
gardnerjoy: glad the visit with the in laws went well : ) someday I want to get a bread machine and make my own bread. I have a friend who's always bragging about baking some.

I had a planned "off" day. But I stuck to my off day plan - did NOT let my neighbors lure me to the chinese place for lunch, and told a friend I would ride with her to chik filet but I couldn't eat the sandwich even though it was free. That fell through, which stinks because it was so nice I wanted to go walking at a local park and we were going to go there after. I spent a couple of hours purging my second bedroom which has turned into my junk/storage room. Can't see much difference yet but I moved boxes into the empty closet, emptied out about 6 boxes and hauled out a bunch of trash. I'm just going to have to tackle it a little at a time! Slept with the windows open last night and kept them open most of the day, love this early fall weather we're having!
My neighbor took me to the store and I stocked up on my chicken breast, some sliced turkey from the deli, pita bread, cottage cheese, fruits and veggies. Then I had to clean out my fridge to fit it all!
I'm struggling with my own family issues: 3 grown kids, 2 with kids of their own right here in town yet once again I'm spending a holiday home alone. Makes me seriously consider moving back to Texas where I can be part of a real family : ( For memorial day I threw a potluck for the friends I've made via meetup.com, but I just didn't really think about it being a holiday until the last minute this time. I'm already dreading Thanksgiving and Christmal again, not to mention birthday number 45 in October.

I hope everyone is having a fun and safe holiday, especially those who are travelling! Back to the grind tomorrow : )

Marie 09-07-2009 06:24 PM

Ruth, it’s awesome that you can make your food in advance. That has to help to keep you from mindless eating when you get home and have to cook a whole meal.

WLW, isn’t it amazing how many calories restaurants can stuff into food. DH and I were chatting about it yesterday. One would expect at 16 oz porterhouse steak and bake potato with sour cream and butter to have loads of calories. That makes sense. What I NEVER get is how a restaurant can take a poor, defenseless skinless chicken breast – grill it and have it come in at 500 calories. I figure they inject Crisco into it. :devil: And I'm sorry you're alone on another holiday. Children cause so much joy and grief. Plan something special for your 45th with your friends. Take the offensive and don't depend on the local family for celebrating.

Jasmine, just let your friend know you’re trying to make a positive healthy change and that eating too much is troublesome for you. Most people accept that. Of course after saying everything looks so delicious.

Mitzee, welcome. You can do it. Great to see another Oregonian here. Your point of a group that have been in your place is so true. It’s why I love the 40’s something threads.

Sunshine, yeah for free food. Good free food is the best. How nice of mom and stepdad to share.

Cruise, toss out the crap and go shopping. It’s much cheaper to throw it out than eat it and guilt, gain and starve it back off.
:dust:

Hydra, I hope you had fun at the Festival. There was one where I used to live in Minnesota. It was fun.

Joy, you sound so much like me a year ago when going elsewhere to eat. I have such perfect control at home but not out. That does come, by the way. Eventually you’ll be great at tiny portions out. Usually the only way to keep the cals low. Enjoy your bread. I’m making more sourdough. I LOVE sourdough. No added fat – just the little bit in the flour itself.

DMC, I had steak and corn the other night. My food scale made it possible. Investing in a really nice food scale was so smart for me. BTW, I use about ¼ teaspoon of butter on my corn and it’s a whooping 8 calories. It’s enough to give the flavor and hold the salt on it. If you want to paint, take a class or if you already know how, have a ball at Michaels stocking up on new supplies.

Hi Mel, enjoy your “me” time and WOW you’re halfway to your goal. Way to go.

DH killed my quads. I’ve learned to never, ever ride on a place called mountain not matter how “flat” the roads seemed in the Jeep. Man oh man, that was a killer yesterday. My quads were so tired that this morning’s elliptical had to be only speed and just a tad of resistance or I think they’d have jellied right off my legs. But we did have fun. I just wouldn’t go back anytime soon. I really though the elliptical and bike used the same muscles but clearly I was wrong. I wanted to go to the bike trail this morning just to know I still love biking but it was 36 degrees out. Taking the doggies on their walk was chilly. My nose was running and my fingers were cold even with thin gloves. I think winter was starting to knock on my door.
:shocksn:

Marie

Hydra 09-07-2009 07:58 PM

WLW - I think it is great that you have friends over during holiday times. I consider my friends as part of my family and try to squeeze in time with them often. Maybe you could plan a holiday party or something.

Had a great time at the Renaissance Festival and not only stayed on plan but under budget too, lol! I treated myself to a cute little ring that has 3 charms on it, a tiny cross, a heart, and a silver bell. I was tempted to drink some beer and get a funnel cake but I resisted, whew.

Onmyway 09-07-2009 09:17 PM

I wish every weekend was a 3 day weekend! Not that we really did much of anything but just the relaxed atmosphere knowing that there was no work today!

Our bathroom guy showed up at 7:30 this AM. We were not expecting him to work today but he did get a lot done! Maybe by next weekend he will be finished. Maybe....

Did pretty well eating wise all weekend. Haven't been weighing everyday so I'm not sure if there has been any change. Walked with DH again tonight.

Hope everyone had a great weekend. Hello to everyone, new and old!

reneekicksfat 09-08-2009 03:49 AM

Hi everyone!

I'm Renee. 45, 135, almost to goal (120) (48 down, 15 to go)

I divide my time between Tennessee and Florida. I am a professional singer. I've been in the music business for 25 years!!! (OUCH!) I am a Gold certified Turbo Kick instructor. I have 5 cats, 3 rabbits, and a husband (all rescues! LOL!) I will be married 20 years this October!

There! That's all there is to know!

Nice to meet all of you!

Renee

Mitzee 09-08-2009 04:28 AM

Hi everyone, First day back to plan and I would give myself a B-. I had a little trouble during breaks and lunch at work because I'm also trying to stop smoking and I had to do something! I need to plan ahead and have good snacks available at those times. Hope to make it to the gym before going back to work Tuesday (BTW I work at Safeway, no help at all) Better get some sleep. Talk in the am

CruiseCAT 09-08-2009 09:19 AM

Can you believe it's the 8th of September? I don't know where the time has gone. I started my journey on December 15 and my goal is to reach goal by my one year anniversary of my life style change (still very doable). The weekend cost me a few pounds but I'm not worried about it; I don't do guilt or starvation. For me I have to allow for a fluctuation in my weight and have found I am comfortable with a 5-7 pound swing. My problem at this point is I've been "swinging" all summer and now it's time to get busy.

I'm off to the doc this AM for my yearly exam, I really don't want to go but know I need to so will "Just Do It"!!!

gardenerjoy 09-08-2009 09:40 AM

dmc2009: a craft sounds like fun! and good job on working your plan for the holiday.

weightlosswanted: you got some great stuff in your grocery shopping! I'm sorry your holiday wasn't everything you could wish, but you sound so satisfied with your work on the extra room -- I'm glad you could at least make it productive!

Marie: wow that sounds like a killer bike ride! That's interesting to know that the elliptical and bike aren't the same muscles. At the gym, I switched between a recumbent bike and the elliptical and the muscles were different -- but I would have thought a conventional bike would have been more similar to the elliptical.

Hydra: good job at the Renaissance Festival -- both with the food plan and the budget!

Onmyway: loved your puns on the Halloween thread -- brightened my evening last night!

reneekicksfat: Welcome!

CruiseCAT: go you! Getting to goal by your one-year anniversary sounds very motivating! Hope the lady doc trip goes well. That's not my favorite day of the year either.

Quiet and productive day yesterday. Today is all about catching up! Including a ton of errands. I want to make sure that I'm snacking at home appropriately because snacking while I'm out is really dangerous for me!

ICUwishing 09-08-2009 11:49 AM

Whew - glad the holiday weekend is done! Kidlet is in his first day at school - I have to go pick up him and his buddy in a few minutes, but I did want to say hi and admire how busy everyone's been!

Welcome, renee and mitzi!

I'll be back this afternoon to catch up. I'm taking a so-called "vacation" day and basically doing all the stuff that should have been done over the holidays. sigh.

GabbyTab 09-08-2009 11:53 AM

Had a great weekend with my husband and son. Had one bad day but have been back on track. Not going to let one day get me down. This Friday will mark two weeks on my new journey and I am hoping to see the scale move. Fingers crossed.