Old 02-26-2009, 02:12 PM   #1  

Height: 5'5"

Default What do you do on those days

that you are always hungry? I have occasional days where no matter what I eat, I just don't feel satisfied. I just want to snack and snack. And, I don't feel like I am just eating strictly out of boredom or stress, I really feel hungry. But, no matter what I try, nothing seems to take the hunger feeling away. Any one else go through this? Any suggestions?
Lessofmaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 02:19 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 225/215/185

Height: 5'1"

When I have days like that I tell myself that I can't eat until my next meal unless my stomach is actually grumbling. Or snack on celery or other super-low calorie food.
Aiela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 02:28 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 300/ticker/ONEDERLAND!

Height: 5'9

I've been going through this ALL week. I tell myself to just wait until the next meal, or have a glass of tea or water. If that doesn't help I'll have a yogurt, shaved turkey, or some string cheese to satisfy my hunger until the next meal.

This isn't true for all people, because I've seen posts about workouts making you hungry, but after I workout it kills the bottomless pit syndrome for the rest of the day.
heather88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 02:30 PM   #4  
Heidi

S/C/G: 204.5/149/153

Height: 5'7"

I don't like to feel hungry, and I worry about hypoglycemic episodes (I've had seizures in the past). So if I'm really hungry, I eat -- keeping in mind my mantra of healthy food & portion control. The important thing is to not let that turn into grazing, which can be my downfall!
newleaf123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 02:40 PM   #5  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

I really struggle with this, because I've made a deal with myself that I will listen carefully to my body to determine whether I am feeling hungry, and that I will NEVER let myself go hungry.

I've never found that hunger is thirst. (I know some people experience this, but I don't. To me, they are completely different sensations.) I have found that sometimes hunger is actually digestive rumblings. Something's happening down there, but it's not actual hunger.

I try to feed myself. I do find these times are cyclical. I'm not constantly hungry for two or three days in a row. It's just the aberrant day now & then. If it were more often, I'd worry. I don't understand why it happens but I think it's just because our bodies are not machine-like & work a little differently each day.
saef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 02:46 PM   #6  
Meow

If I am having a day where I am feeling extra hungry.. I make sure I eat a lot more veggies and instead of my 10 almonds, I will eat like 20 almonds instead. Eating more fruit will also help.

Some tasty tea (peppermint.. some of the fruit teas.. etc) really help as well
kalikat003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 07:22 PM   #7  
Eat Less Move More

S/C/G: 186/164/125

Height: 5'3"

I think we all have days like this. I know for me they come when I am ovulating. You have gotten some excellent suggestions here; many that I incorporate for two or three days in the middle of my cycle.

I also up my protein and really try to watch my carbs. For me this is the worse time for me to have grains or processed foods. If I can start my day with a "make me full" meal I do much better during the day.

One of my favorite make me full meals is a one egg omelette with lots of sauteed veggies; couple cups of spinach, peppers, onion, mushrooms (whatever you like) with turkey and 1.5 ozs of mozzarella cheese. Total calories for one of my over stuffed omelettes is under 350.
CruiseCAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 07:26 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 199/199/174

Height: 5'-11"

The first thing I try is to distract myself. Like go for a walk or do something that gets me away from the kitchen or food source and gets my mind on other things.

If that isn't possible or doesn't work then I just go ahead and eat something substantial. Like instead of continually snacking, I go ahead and make a sandwich or eat a bowl of Chunky Soup or something. I figure it is less harmful than nibbling continually.
juls64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 08:06 PM   #9  

Height: 5'5"

Thanks everyone for the great suggestions. Some I have tried, others I have not. So I have new things to work with, which is always helpful. I appreciate all of your input.
Lessofmaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 08:49 PM   #10  

S/C/G: Too much/Less/Just Right!

Height: 5'4"

A spoon of peanut butter generally stops my crazy eat-everything-in-the-house days.
Chelby29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 10:35 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 244/200/150

Height: 5'3''

CruiseCat - I love your over stuffed omelette idea...I make a little different version, always wondered about the calories (never took time to figure out); I am going to add spinach and turkey to mine tomorrow.
Ponytail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 09:46 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 198/190/150

I try stuff that takes a long time to eat, like a huge bowl of popcorn with just a little butter.

Leaving the house also helps, to go anywhere away from the kitchen.
twilight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 09:52 PM   #13  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

celery dipped in (egg whites only) egg salad--only 17 calories per egg white, mix with it fat-free miracle whip

mashed cauliflower with 5 calorie margarine on it, salt and pepper--you can eat the whole head for about 150 calories or less

lots of lean proteins--it is filling!

water

brush your teeth

I think most people have days like this. When I see women posting things here asking, "I have only eaten 800 calories today, shouldn't I worry about eating so little" I always think, "no, if you aren't hungry, dont"...there are days you are naturally more hungry than others....

I have never read the book Intuitive Eating but would like to soon. Maybe someone here can tell you about it--or Google it for yourself.
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote