Closed Thread

Old 09-04-2008, 02:43 PM   #16  
fat chick FKA Velveteen

Height: 5'5½

Hi Tech - I know you guys were talking about Curves in the August thread - we actually have one here in the Netherlands, in my little city in the east, which I was totally surprised about. Sorry if you guys talked about it before, but would anyone mind telling me exactly what it is?

Clay - sounds a bit dreadful I sure hope you are on the mend now. Glad the doctor's scale is down though! Thanks for welcoming me

Hey Howd - the commuting thing is really a killer on maintaining a healthy life style! I actually work for Starbucks (for the roasting plant - so I'm in an admin job, not a barista working in a store) and we have a store with everything available that you guys may see at Starbucks (if you go there). In the beginning. THAT temptation was tough - all those pastries and yummy things to eat, fraps, coffee beverages - but now I'm past all that. My biggest issue is stress and NOT planning. WHEN I plan, it's a piece of 0-point cake, when I don't, I don't eat enough, I get overly hungry and I then pick the wrong things to eat because I'm starving. Working out was always something I wanted to do but was just too exhausted to do so (leave work at 7pm, get home at 9, still hadn't had dinner). I know I have to change this...

You've definitely made the right start! This is a fantastic place to be!

Thanks for the birthday wishes!
Old 09-04-2008, 03:32 PM   #17  
One pound at a time.

S/C/G: 238.2/186.2/150

Height: 5ft 4in

Clay sorry to hear about your leg. That MRSA is scary, sounds like they have it under control. Hope you continue to get better.
Old 09-04-2008, 07:11 PM   #18  
Rennie

S/C/G: 228/Ticker/120

Height: 4 foot 11 inches

Tech
I have still been thinking about joining. Since I don't have to pay for it it isn't about the money. Well it is, I am not going to have them pay for something that isn't going to do for me what I want it to do. I like that it is all woman, except for the owner. I really don't want to waddle my whale body in front of men lol. I am glad your hubby is doing better. He has a long road to follow before he gets healthy again.

Clay
Sure glad you found out what was wrong and got treatment. I hope that you are doing clears it up. Nice going on the loss. Hey if we have to not feel good, we should at least lose weight

Velv
Hello and welcome. My name is Renay too Curves is a gym for woman only. They have machines that you don't have to do a thing to but get on and do your workout. You do a circuit workout there. So much time on each machine. You go through all the machines twice for a 30 min workout. You are suppose to do this routine at least 3 times a week but you can do it 6 times a week if you want to. There is very little thinking to do once you learn the proper way to use each machine. You are told when to take your pulse and when to go to the next machine.

From the information I have gotten from woman not all Curves are created equally. Some are christian based and are real funny about what is said in the building. Some are much more lay-ed back. All curves are suppose to have trained people that make sure you use the machines properly but some woman say not all of them do. Not all of them have the same hours and I haven't found one that is open after 7 pm which is a problem since I would rather do my workout at night after I have everything done for the day.

I have gone to all three of them in my area and I can say they are not all the same. One seemed very nice, one I thought I was bothering the woman to leave from behind the desk to even show me around ( I was there before and the thin woman were making fun of the heavy woman with the person that worked there ), one the ladies weren't changing machines when they were told ( they were to busy chatting ) and I sure wouldn't have been able to do the circuit training as I should because I wouldn't be able to get to the machines like I should be able too. The two I wasn't happy with I want to go back to again to make sure it wasn't just a bad day to be there.

Once you join curves you can go to any curves you want. This would be real nice for me because there is a curves down by the camp grounds we go to from the time the air isn't freezing until the air is freezing again and I wouldn't have to miss my workouts lol.
Old 09-04-2008, 07:40 PM   #19  

Height: 5' 7"

Hi everyone! Thanks for the warm welcome!

I spent about 6 hours driving today (all tollway driving), during a very steady rain, so I missed lunch as I had to keep my hands on the wheel all day long. So, I really really wanted some pizza, so when I got home I went to the website of my favorite place and looked up the NI for an individual pizza and I could afford it in points, so I indulged myself! And I stayed OP because the pizza was loaded with vegetables and I paired it with a salad. Yummm, but now I stink of garlic.

As too Curves, I know the doctors out here are loving them because they are making a killing with patients coming in with knee problems. Now I'm not saying all of these places are the same, but obviously the ones here are having ladies come out with bad knees. Shop around, as maybe a small local gym would be cheaper and better for you.

Time for my walk, take care all!
Old 09-04-2008, 07:55 PM   #20  
Rennie

Deb
That was one of the things I have been wondering about. From what I saw of the machines there shouldn't be a problem with any of them except the squat machine. I live in a tiny town surrounded by tiny towns lol. We don't have anything around here except the Ymca and that is 500 a year. Even then you can't do everything there most of the time because they have everything from the pool to the work out rooms rented out.

Last edited by Shy Moment; 09-05-2008 at 05:08 PM.
Old 09-04-2008, 09:10 PM   #21  
One pound at a time.

Rennie I was a member of Curves for 5 years. I had to stop going after I had a bulging disc in my neck and my frozen shoulder. I really enjoyed it. You work at your own pace and now they have the new smart machines that tell you how well you are working out. If people are not moving on the circuit just go around them. Some Curves are better than others and you will find the best time to go that suits you.
Old 09-05-2008, 02:03 AM   #22  
47er

S/C/G: 215/191/155

Height: 5'6"

Default Welcome and

Renee

I posted a birthday wish on another thread you started but just in case. Welcome to the 40's.

Congrats on your wedding. Vegas is alot of fun especially if you have never been there before. My husband and I eloped too. never was big on the traditional wedding so we and a few of our closest friends went to Reno. I will be married 13 years October 14th. We've talked about renewing our vows on our 15th Anniversary and doing a more traditional ceremony.

looking forward to swapping stories and helping each other through this journey.

Don't dwell on the past. You are on the right track so just look forward and take one day at a time. Look at what you have done so far.

Woow Clayr, you have had it rough. Hopefully September will be better. Great news about the 3 lbs. Even though I don't know you yet, I wish you a speedy recovery and will put you in my prayers.

Karen
Old 09-05-2008, 03:58 AM   #23  
fat chick FKA Velveteen

Height: 5'5½

Renay - hey, thanks for the Curves information. I looked it up on the internet and found there are actually quite a few here in the Netherlands... however, it doesn't say how much it costs, or what the opening hours are. I find that really frustrating. I know it's a small thing, but I have a sort of phone phobia Because Dutch is my 2nd language I sometimes have a hard time making myself understood OR understanding the other person when it comes to the telephone (you can't see the person's mouth in case you miss a word - it's not really lip-reading, but you'd be amazed how essential it is to see the person you are talking to when it comes to a foreign language!). So, I may bite the bullet and phone anyway, but knowing this country, Curves is probably not going to be open in the hours that I need to go. I just quit my gym (at €72 a month) so I don't want to join another one and discover I have no time for that one either.

Debbie - good for you for looking up the NI for the pizza!! I tend to do that too - if I'm going to have pizza then it's veggie pizza with a salad. Even though my memory salivates at extra pepperoni

Karen - thank you so much! We have both been to Vegas before, but never together! We are going to take two weeks off so that we'll fly into Phoenix, do some sightseeing, drive to Vegas, do the wedding thing, maybe even hit LA while we are out there. It'll be nice to just be us two away from it all!

You and your DH are a perfect example that elopement works! Congrats on your upcoming anniversary (which by the way, was OUR October date that ended up being cancelled!)!

And you are right. I'm focusing on the day. That's all I can do. I can control and adjust today, but not the past.

So yesterday, Ron came home at around 10pm (he's started school again) and had a piece of my birthday cake (which I had none of yesterday) and yes I thought "I want that too", but I wasn't actually hungry so I didn't have any and just pushed through that feeling. I logged onto my WW account as well and was 20 for 20, so a perfect day. There was a pizza that was meant for me to eat for dinner, but instead I had couscous and veggies and chickpeas. So I feel good about yesterday. It's a good (re)start!

Probably helps that I'm at home and can hardly walk, but it's these boredom times that I'm looking in the fridge and cupboard for the answer to my boredom! Not this time!!

Last edited by PinkyPie; 09-05-2008 at 03:59 AM.
Old 09-05-2008, 08:22 AM   #24  

S/C/G: 175 / 140 / 125

Height: 5'2"

Wow Clayr, I'm sorry to hear about your struggles with an awful infection..I hope you're all healed up soon.

Debala, Your pizza sounds yummy and you made great choices by topping it with veggies and pairing it with salad and not breadsticks or cheese bread!! WTG

klmetz, Welcome to the 40's pages. I'm looking forward to getting to know you too.

Renee, Boredom can be a killer. Sounds like you tackled it.

Diane, DS had his first FB game last night. Sadly they lost, but he carried the ball 13 times and averaged more than 4 yds a carry and did the punts and the kick offs. Maybe not stellar yardage, but he's never touched the ball before. He was center and noseguard last year...DH said he did well and the stands heard the smack when he tackled one guy. DS is more about how well he plays rather than about the wins or losses so it was a good night...except I was running around to VB and soccer with our two younger children..Mel kept me updated by text. She's a real doll.

You all have a terrific OP day!!

Last edited by lovnmom; 09-05-2008 at 08:36 AM.
Old 09-05-2008, 12:56 PM   #25  
Maintainer Wannabe

S/C/G: 161/143/135

Height: 5'7"

What, there's a new thread and it's already on page 2?

Hi everyone! I am a 43 year old SAHM to two kids, a daughter who just turned 6 and started first grade, and a son who's 4 1/2. He's playing t-ball this year and he has his first practice game tomorrow.

I am a lifelong yo yo dieter and I re-started calorie counting at the beginning of the year after putting on about 35 pounds (again!) in 2007. I am a bit of an exercise fanatic. What some call obsession, I call dedication.

I am very happy to say that today I hit my goal weight! Now why does that make me want to bake a pan of brownies and eat them all to celebrate? Instead, I went to my closet and tried on small clothes. (They fit.)

Rennie, can you try out Curves for a month to see how you like it, or do you have to sign a contract?
Old 09-05-2008, 01:13 PM   #26  

S/C/G: See Ticker

Height: 5'4"

Default Congrats Wardhog

I'm a bit of an exercise fanatic too - although due to my excuse set of reasons I stopped or didn't do much latter 1/2 of 06 and 07 which contributed to about 45 extra lbs... which I'm happy to report now are gone!!

YEA for you - too cool - now we have to maintain!

C.
Old 09-05-2008, 01:43 PM   #27  
Donna

Hi All,

Well, its been a rainy couple of days here so I haven't got out much. I've been a quilter for over 10 years and have kept every book/pattern/magazine I've bought, and I can't find anything. So I've been going thru all the old magazines and tearing out any patterns I like and filing them in a binder and the rest into recycling. Hopefully it will help, it will definitely cut down on the piles in my sewing room. The closet's next

Clay - Hope these new meds kick the virus, it does not sound like a lot of fun.

Rennie - All Curves are different, I made good use of my travel pass when I belonged and visited them all over (including a couple in Canada). And some have fewer machines (depends on their membership #'s I think) and you go around more than twice. The first time I went to a really small one I went around twice looked at the clock and only 15 min had passed, I had to ask what was up.

Ward - Congratulations on reaching goal. Too funny about the brownies that came up at my WW meeting this morning. As far as Curves; when I joined they had a month to month membership which was a little higher and didn't include the travel pass, I joined that way to make sure I would go and not waste $; once I decided I liked it I signed up for the year.

Renee - the reason you probably couldn't find hours and prices on the web is that they are all franchise shops, so hours very from place to place although the price is set by corporate. Happy belated birthday.

SillyCat, Clyde, Diane, lovn -

Well I should get back to work. Have a great weekend everyone.

-Tech

Last edited by TechAlum; 09-05-2008 at 01:43 PM.
Old 09-05-2008, 01:59 PM   #28  
One pound at a time.

Wardhog

Congratulations on reaching your goal. That is awesome.
Old 09-05-2008, 05:10 PM   #29  
Rennie

Tech
I only said twice because they said that is how you do it there. I was told all curves in ohio are the same and all have the same machines except for the stretch machine. I guess it is real expensive and not all the curves have it.

Ward
Hi, congrats on your goal. They told me they would give me three appointments in a week for me to come in and be shown how to use each piece of equipment and let me do the circuit. I guess they figure within those three times you should know if it is for you or not. I have to sign a year contract after that.

Velv
I really couldn't get much information from them on the phone. They want you to come in and talk to them. That way they can show you around and you can see what they have to offer there. Because each of them is individually owned. They have different hours.

Clyde
They are getting the smart machine set up this week. I guess it won't be available for a couple of weeks while everyone is trained. Telling you a frozen shoulder is terrible and if someone hasn't had one they have no idea the pain it causes. It took me three years of therapy, 1 at the therapists and 2 at home under their instruction and I still have only gotten back about 98% of movement. Darn thing hurts at the oddest times for, it seems, no reason at all. I am more worried about the knee. Doc won't even let me do the walking/aerobic videos that I love so much. I was doing around 10 miles of them a day because I thought they were so fun. I don't think any of the machines are going to bother me except the squat machine and I am not sure a week of workouts, three times, there is going to be enough for me to really know for sure. I would be happier if they gave me a month try out for me to be sure I am going to be able to keep going there 3 times a week.

Deb
The doctor is the one that recommended curves because of the low impact. Hopefully in three sessions I can tell what it is going to do with the knee.

Last edited by Shy Moment; 09-05-2008 at 09:37 PM.
Old 09-05-2008, 06:13 PM   #30  

Height: 5' 7"

Whatever you decide, I wish you well!
Closed Thread