Closed Thread

Old 06-01-2003, 10:26 PM   #1  
missaprylj

Lightbulb Math Question

Alright----

I walked 25.5 blocks in 31 minutes.

How many miles per HOUR is that? You see, I've been told that there are 8 blocks in a mile and that there are 13 blocks in a mile.

Let's say it is 13--- that comes out to me walking 4 miles per hour
Let's say it's 8------that comes out to me walking 6 miles per hour

Yeaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhh ummmmmm, I don't think it's humanly possible to walk that fast, and I really don't think I walk 4 miles per hour. I mean, I walk pretty fast, but 4 mph? That's a 15 minute mile. Is that average for a fast walk? Argh this is confusing. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance! Have a great week -Apryl

Old 06-01-2003, 10:30 PM   #2  

Apryl,

Can you drive it once to see just how big the blocks are? I think blocks come in all different sizes, so it would depend on how long the blocks are.
Old 06-01-2003, 10:54 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 302/179/170

Height: 5'6"

when i am on the treadmill, i walk semi-quickly at 3mph. at 4mph, i can barely speedwalk, i usually do a little jog. 6mph is running for me.

i have no idea about blocks but hopefully those speed references help.
Old 06-02-2003, 12:35 AM   #4  
WW on-line since 1/1/2009

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'5"

Apryl - I agree with Mthrgoose...have someone drive it with you to get an accurate mileage. And it's possible to walk a 4MPH pace, although my "fast" pace is generally closer to 3.5 MPH.

Let us know what you find out!
Old 06-02-2003, 07:19 AM   #5  
Old Cackler

i've heard that 4 mph is a good fast walk. and it really does depend on the distance between the blocks, so clocking it in the car is a GREAT idea. of course, the truly ambitious among us [NOT ME!!!!] would buy a pedometer and walk it again.. but there's no sense in being compulsive about this.

my only reference point: in midtown manhattan, it's 4 avenue blocks to a mile [so if you're walking down 42nd street from 8th avenue to madison, it's a mile] and 8 street blocks to a mile [from like macy's on 34th street and 6th avenue to the far side of the library at 42nd street and 6th avenue].

it gets more confusing below washington square.

so, that's today's trivia lesson
Old 06-02-2003, 02:52 PM   #6  
Beauty, Brawn and Brains!

S/C/G: 298(O)/268.2(RS)/247.9.0/175.0

Height: 5'9''

Yeah, there is no regulated block size. The blocks in my old neighborhood were short little blocks, the block closer to the city are long big blocks. I suggest driving it.
Closed Thread