Old 04-18-2011, 11:33 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 292/268/200

Height: 5'10"

Default Do-It-Yourselfers, where do you get your potassium, calcium and magnesium?

I know there are plenty of multivitamins out there, but I'm not sure I can get enough sodium, potassium, calcium or magnesium to maintain a healthy diet for the duration. Mainly potassium and calcium are the hard ones. I'm taking Dymatize ISO-100 (100% Whey Protein Isolate) which is 0 Carb / 0 Sugar / 0 Fat / 0 Cholesterol / 24g Protein / 106 Cal. It also has lots of good amino acids (8/9 essential amino acids). So, I think it's a great protein powder. And I put Redmond Real Salt on my veggies, so I might be ok with sodium. And the one tablespoon of olive, canola or sunflower oil per day makes up for the essential fatty acid deficiency, but where can I get the potassium, calcium and magnesium or anything else I need? Popping tons of potassium, etc. supplements doesn't sound fun. Is that the only way? Thoughts?
randyhall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 12:00 PM   #2  

By the way: for anyone interested, the nutrition info for this protein powder I mentioned is right here: http://d.pr/CFN3

I got it at my local gym last week. Today is "day one" for me on IP (I attempted to start last week, but had some hiccups - now I'm prepared to do it right) and the first shake tasted pretty good to me this morning. I think I can do this...
Old 04-18-2011, 12:13 PM   #3  

Ok, responding to myself here, but it looks like if I make one of my protein shakes per day with unsweetened almond milk instead of water I'll get my calcium daily intake needs met. Or maybe the multivitamin will cover me there.
Old 04-19-2011, 06:41 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 247.6/236.0/135

Height: 5 ft 3 inches

OK, well, lots of foods contain potassium, even low carb foods. I don't know what particular type of diet you are seeking. Please see this link for potassium information: http://www.livestrong.com/article/30...assium-levels/ You'll note there's a lot of fish options - as well as nuts/seeds for potassium. A good calcium source is salmon in the can - eating bones and all - or sardines in the can - bones and all. Many meats have potassium, as well as greens, bananas, yogurt etc.

Also see this link: http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/nut...assiumfood.htm

Overall, if you eat heavy on a variety of veggies, you should get a good balance. As a warning, having an elevated potassium level could cause heart rhythm problems so don't oversupplement.
Arkansas Kel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 11:24 PM   #5  

Thanks for the info. I'm trying to do the Ideal Protein diet, but without all the supplements if I can get most of the necessary nutrients from food. So your links are just what I needed.