Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 12-28-2010, 10:21 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 297/198/190

Height: 5'8"

Default Anemia and Running: An Update

About a month ago I posted that I had discovered that I was suffering from iron-deficiency anemia. I have been running for about a year, consistently, 3-5x a week, and I didn't feel like I had much endurance for how much I trained so I wondered if there was a relationship.

Well, I am ABSOLUTELY STUNNED how much of a difference it has made. After about a month of iron supplements, both my speed and endurance and just going through the roof. Now, I'm starting to feel like the way I think I should have felt all along. Before, I just couldn't increase my speed without quickly hitting my cardiovascular max.

I kept thinking that something was wrong with me, because I could tell I wasn't building endurance as fast as I should, but I stupidly kept thinking that it was my age (late 40s) and the fact that I had been out of shape for so long.

But no, it was an actual health problem. Now that I'm fully oxygenated, I feel AMAZING.
ubergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 10:31 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 183/maintaining 135ish

Height: 5'6"

Was it a specific type of supplement your doctor recommended, or just a regular over-the-counter type? I know (from giving blood, where they test for a minimum iron count) that I am often borderline, so I take a women's multi-vitamin, not really regularly. But I don't know whether it really helps or not.
bronzeager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 10:42 AM   #3  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

That's awesome!

I'm not the OP, but taking a multivitamin with iron took my always borderline blood donor hemoglobin level up into being consistently normal. They used to have to spin me every time. Now I pass without spinning, all thanks to a cheap, basic Trader Joes multi.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 08:46 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 297/198/190

Height: 5'8"

Bronzeager, it really depends how anemic you are. I wouldn't take an iron supplement unless you have blood work and are diagnosed with iron deficiency anemia. I'm currently taking over the counter iron pills 3x daily. But not all anemia is caused by iron-deficiency. There are other kinds of anemia, and iron won't help for those-- the only way to know for sure is a blood test. On the other hand, taking a multivitamin with iron is a good way to build up your iron stores-- many women don't get enough from diet alone.
ubergirl is offline   Reply With Quote