Old 10-04-2010, 06:18 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 210/170/125

Height: 5'3"

Question Best exercise during induction??

Just a quick question on what is the ideal exercise during induction? I was thinking weight training since my body is using fat for energy or maybe would it be cardio to burn more fat? Any ideas?

------------------------------
Starting weight: 210 lbs
Weight before atkins: 192 lbs
Current weight: 187 lbs
Nikkibee24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 06:40 PM   #2  
Less Juicey

S/C/G: 246/135

Height: 5'5"

I walk every day. Do what you enjoy and will stick with? That's my best advice. And congratulations on your weight loss!
sandyfanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 07:06 PM   #3  
Native Texan

S/C/G: 270/231.5/140

Height: 5'2"

I walk every day also. 2 miles Mon. thru Fri., 5 miles on Sat., and Sun. is just whatever I feel like.
I also use light weights (2, 3, & 5 lbs in different routines) every other day for toning.
I also use an ab roller (for crunches) every day.
This works for ME, but like sandyfanny said, you need to figure out what YOU like and then just stick with it
islandchick1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 10:51 PM   #4  
Losing the baby weight

S/C/G: 224/183/140

Height: 5"4

I work with heavy weights because they are better for you and help you burn more calories while resting. The more muscle you have, the more you burn while resting, if you lift heavy weights you will gain more muscle

I can do a 20lb dumbbell shoulder press and I'm getting awesomely small and defined arms.

But that's just my opinion, I'm biased because I have seen the benefits on myself and have learnt a lot from New Rules of Lifting for Women.
StephanieM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 11:24 AM   #5  

I am only on day 2 of induction but I plan to ride my stationary bike. I so wanted to yesterday but I was completely exhausted and didnt have the energy for anything! I hope today is different but I know it can take a few days to get out of the induction funk....

I would think any exercise would be okay...
Bayoulady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 12:07 PM   #6  
Kimberley

S/C/G: 23st 6lbs

Height: 5ft 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephanieM View Post
I work with heavy weights because they are better for you and help you burn more calories while resting. The more muscle you have, the more you burn while resting, if you lift heavy weights you will gain more muscle

I can do a 20lb dumbbell shoulder press and I'm getting awesomely small and defined arms.

But that's just my opinion, I'm biased because I have seen the benefits on myself and have learnt a lot from New Rules of Lifting for Women.
Hi - Firstly congrats on your amazing weight loss so far! Secondly could you explain abit further how you feel weight lifting has helped you? Do you do other excercise aswell or mainly lifting weights? It has been something i wanted to get into especially as i have alot of weight to loose and dont want to end up with really saggy skin afterwards! Thanks xxx
kimberleyanddarren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 01:46 PM   #7  
Losing the baby weight

S/C/G: 224/183/140

Height: 5"4

kimberely, read the book I mentioned in my post, it's great on explaining the benefits of weight lifting for women. It also has a six month work out program included, it helped me learn a lot.

When you build muscle, the amount of calories you burn while resting raises making weight loss quicker, you have more 'afterburn'. With cardio your mostly just burning at that moment, with weight lifting your burning for hours after. You also shrink and lose inches quicker, if you have enough protein for your muscles to heal. I have definition in my arms for the first time ever, I can see muscles in my back and it looks slim and sexy. I never knew exercise could make me look like this! I also feel great, I feel strong, I feel like I've accomplished something. It's great to get stronger and increase your weights as you see yourself get smaller!

A lot of women fear they will get 'bulky' but it's pretty impossible with weight lifting unless we take something to 'help' like steroids. We don't have testosterone so it is harder for us to build muscle. You should check out the weight lifting part of the forum as well, it's great.

There are soooo many benefits. This is just a quick run down though
StephanieM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 09:37 PM   #8  
Just starting again

S/C/G: 276/256/180 ish?

Height: 5'7

Default I bought a bike

I have been bikeing to work, since it is not too difficult but gets my heart rate up twice a day. I also love swimming and water aerobics since they are easy if your really out of shape but yeild high results.
DandyDiva is offline   Reply With Quote