Whole Foods Lifestyle For discussion of whole foods and more natural diets.

Old 01-29-2008, 05:33 PM   #31  

S/C/G: 140/120/118

Height: 5'3

Rice is nice but barley is the bomb! Oh, and quinoa rocks!
azmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 05:45 PM   #32  
A loser losing happily

S/C/G: 280/ticker/180

Height: 5'6

MmMmMmMm I love Rice, I am hispanic and rice dishes are a big part of my culture...I love white rice too and eat it every once in a while but I have been eating mainly brown rice when I do eat rice.
Tavinni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 07:49 PM   #33  

Talking

Good advice on the preparation of rice. I like it but it doesnt always come out the way I want it to. I dont have a rice cooker. I have enough appliances already don't need to use up anymore counterspace. And I 100% agree with you on birth control. I mean come on people, listen to the side effects. There are more side effects than the REAL effect. And plus it's not 100% but the side effects are whether you realize them or not.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaebea View Post
no, if i've had glutinous rice, i probably didn't know what i was eating .
my interest in tcm is more recent, in about the past year.
I was having some health issues, possibly(probably) played down side effects of a certain birth control medication that i had been on for 5 years.
Needless to say, now i am somewhat skeptical and wary of western medical practices. Definitely is easy for me now to work up a conspiracy theory about the medical and pharmaceutical companies at large after all that happened.

I've always had sort of a purist outlook, i never wanted to even start that pill, but i decided to trust my Dr. and she told me how it was a natural chemical that my body produces anyway. Which is not true in my outlook, though it may be true enough for some people...

I like the view of alternative and tcm that you treat with lifestyle changes first. It reminds me of how unhealthy our entire culture is by all the health problems so many people in our culture have.

well, I'm glad to say that i'm off that medication and am currently medication free, but i have started to implement some herbs (loose leaf for the purist in me) into my daily routine.

Back to the rice though, in a book about japanese diet that i have i got a recipe for of all things, plain white rice. I've tried in for several different varieties and it makes all the difference with a few little tricks.
first of all, rinse the rice through and strain off the water 3 or 4 times until the water is clear. Then let the rice sit in the cooking amount of water for 10-15 minute prior to turning on the burners.
for white rice, it is 2 cups rice to 2 1/2 cups water and cook for about 10 minutes.
brown is 2 cups brown rice to 3 cups of water. cook longer for brown rice.
Cooks up nice and fluffy! yum.
celestant is offline   Reply With Quote