Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 03-04-2010, 01:20 PM   #1  
I'm Just a Little Crazy

S/C/G: 250/215/170

Height: 5'9"

Question For Those that Have Reached Goal

I was wondering - when you started losing the weight that got you to your goal, what changed? What was different about it mentally and emotionally? I mean, I know - duh - you ate better/less, exercised more. But what did you change emotionally and mentally that kept you going? (Does this question make sense?) Did you change the way you talked to yourself? Did you change your friends?
SCraver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 02:02 PM   #2  
before picture in profile

S/C/G: 213/183/165

Height: 5ft 7 and 3/4th

I got "excited" about the idea of finally losing a significant amount of weight. Like going to a new vacation spot or attending a special event, I began to look forward to the change.

I became "smug." I was holding a "secret" that a big change was coming (a thinner me) and I'm the only one that knew it.

I talked to myself like a parent would talk to a child. "Now, now. You have been out of control and eating too much junky food when I wasn't watching and now I'm going to be watching over you and make sure you eat healthy foods because I love you. I'm sorry I didn't seem to care about you before. But from now on things are going to be better and you will feel better."

I knew I had to "act different" to get different results. For example, ordering water with lemon at the bar instead of a beer or mixed drink when out with friends. And choosing healthy options at restaurants such as chicken instead of cheesy pasta. I didn't give up my "lifestyle." I just gave up how I act within that lifestyle.

Thanks for asking. I hadn't really thought about it too much until you asked.

I've lost 24 pounds since October, 2009 using the Ideal Protein program. I went from a tight size 16 jeans to a loose size 12. I plan to lose another 10 pounds or wear a size 10 jeans whichever comes first. current wt. 186.

Last edited by Lilita175; 03-04-2010 at 02:06 PM.
Lilita175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 02:29 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 184/129/130

Height: 5'4.5"

I haven't reached my goal because....well, I'm preggo. LOL
But I can tell you that there were many times I wanted to lose weight and gave up after a couple days. But when I did decide to do it May 15th 2009. I felt way more determined. One thing that helped was reading success stories and looking at before and after pics. Also a big motivator at the time was a couple weight loss shows on the discovery health channel. I made sure to workout as I watched the whole hour long show. And also not pushing myself physically to the point where I wanted to quit. I started with a Low cal diet instead of trying to starve myself, which is my usual method where I end up so hungry that I can't take it anymore. I made more healthy choices and cut out the junk.
Another thing that was a big butt kicker was telling my friends I was gonna do this. They didn't motivate me but just the fact that I blabbed it (like dh says) to the world made me determined to not fail. I didn't want to fall into the same trap of "Oh yeah I tried but I couldn't do it." No this time I had to no matter how hard it got or how long it took, I didn't want to fail this time. I took pics of myself every 4 months and put them up on facebook, people were in shock of my progress. Their praise kept me going and also seeing it happen too.
I lost 36 lbs before getting pregnant, I'm trying hard not to gain too much weight now...only whats required. Then I'm back on my journey when they give me the green light after the baby's born.

Last edited by mom4life; 03-04-2010 at 02:32 PM.
mom4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 02:31 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 216/180.6/160

Height: 5'8"

I didn't change my friends but I put myself first before EVERYONE.

As far as emotionally: I liken what I did to putting a rubber band on my wrist to snap every time I wanted to eat something fried & cheesey to soothe myself emotionally. I put a quick and immediate stop to feeding my emotional swings. I honestly don't know what happened to me on April 5, 2009 but I decided that I'd had enough of wanting but not doing.

It's like my mind and heart were in control and my body had no choice but to follow.

Last edited by Cali Doll; 03-04-2010 at 02:32 PM.
Cali Doll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 03:20 PM   #5  
Back in Action

S/C/G: 213/197/140

Height: 5'6"

My goal story (link in my signature) tells the entire story, but in short form, I was sick and tired of being fat, drunk and lazy. I decided I had had enough and I put down the food, the smokes and the bottle and didn't look back, only forward. One day at a time.

I think in the past I had always made it so difficult on myself. I made deadlines, time-lines, graphs and excercise charts and if I screwed up on one little thing it all went to **** in a hand basket. This time I just started. I just did it. I knew the weight would never go away by dreaming and wishing and planning to start, it would only go away if I worked for it, and so I did...2 years ago today.

Last edited by Lori Bell; 03-04-2010 at 03:21 PM.
Lori Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 03:27 PM   #6  
Positive Focus

S/C/G: 225/ticker/125

Height: 5'1"

Happy March Forth, Lori!

Your story has given me a new way to think of the month of March. I have always hated it (my mother died in March), but now I see it as a month of new promise - to keep going and pushing for what I need to be healthy. I am confident Mother would be happy for my new attitude, too!
BeachBreeze2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 03:38 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 198/128/138

Height: 5'7

I made myself the most important person in my life. Yes, of course my kids still come first but in regards to my attitude I realized that if I'm not happy that negatively affects everyone and everything around me.
amynbebes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 03:52 PM   #8  
I'm Just a Little Crazy

S/C/G: 250/215/170

Thank you all for your great responses. When I started in january 2008 I KNEW that time was different and I got down to about 210 lbs. - but then in May 2008, I got pregnant and that all went to pot! Lol! But now I am working on getting back to that place I was in. That I KNOW I am going to do it this time. I am trying to improve my eating - I am planning to sign up for some 5k's. But what I REALLY am trying to change is the way I think and how I respond to feelings. Just because I am with friends doesn't mean I should eat until I feel uncomfortable. I don't need to snack to "wind down" in the evenings after work. "Fat Sundays" are NOT a way to enjoy a Sunday. (We used to have "fat sundays" where we would lay on the couch, watch TV and eat junk food all day... how disgusting is that?! That isn't something I want to teach my son!!)
SCraver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 04:42 PM   #9  
Focussed

S/C/G: 181/135/139

Height: 5' 6"

Amazing, Lori - to have achieved so much in two years.

For me, getting to 'goal' was just part of an ongoing journey. Maintaining needs more of the same discipline that got me down to goal. I do feel different, though, best summed up as feeling really good about myself! Not so much for how much better I look and feel, but for having taken control, as from 25 February 2009.

FT
fattuesday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 07:24 PM   #10  

S/C/G: original 221 198/ticker/150

I know it sounds cliche, but I just felt different this time. I tried once before to lose weight and didn't do very well (maybe 5-10 pounds). I finally hit a point where I told myself 'You know what? This isn't working for me. I'm tired of being overweight'. It was then that I changed. I mean I didn't *know* that I could lose all of it, but I knew I could lose some. I mean I wasn't always that heavy. I had some slips during this process (one for the whole month of October), but I got back into it. I'm still not necessarily happy with my body, but I *KNOW* now that I can change whatever I want about myself. If I want it badly enough I can do it. So do it I will.
stargzr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 09:12 AM   #11  
poco a poco

S/C/G: 246/166.5/158

Height: 5'5"

Stargzr, it felt different for me as well. More of a premonition than determination, but since I have no claim to being psychic, I think it was more of a self-fulfilling prophecy.
Nada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 10:22 AM   #12  
I'm listening...

S/C/G: HW248;Current 198/135-139/140

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCraver View Post
I was wondering - when you started losing the weight that got you to your goal, what changed? What was different about it mentally and emotionally? I mean, I know - duh - you ate better/less, exercised more. But what did you change emotionally and mentally that kept you going? (Does this question make sense?) Did you change the way you talked to yourself? Did you change your friends?
Before I was able to change the "bad voices in my head", I started exercising regularly. I decided that even if I couldn't lose weight that exercise would help me feel better. Over time I have been able to conquer the "bad voices in my head" and learn to value myself. I now treat myself, both physically and emotionally, so much better than before. I had to make myself a priority--something that we moms tend not to do. I did not have to change my friends. Both my true friends and family have been very supportive of my journey. My co-workers, not so much. Probably because we all started on this journey at the same time and I was the only one who has hit goal--yet!
losermom is offline   Reply With Quote