Old 02-23-2010, 07:22 AM   #1  

Default Steel Magnolias #10

Good morning ladies! Cold and gloomy looking this morning, but it is supposed to warm up as the week goes along and no more rain in the near future. I have to go out and run errands and get my nails done today but will probably wait until it warms up a bit.

Susan: Glad you know have internet and phone service again. I know it is kind of weird feeling in this day and age to have no phone or computer service. We were without it for about 3 days and it was strange.

Maggie: Every once in awhile we have breakfast for dinner and I love it. It is a nice change up. I am sure the birdbath and waterfall are just beautiful. I love the terra cotta look.

Jean: We have just the opposite problem, restaurants opening up in our neighborhood and then closing quickly because of lack of business. There are areas here that do well, but our area doesn't unless it is bbq or fast food.

I already have my morning chores done except for the bed being made, so I have my day to myself, which is nice. I am having a bit of trouble with the female stuff the last couple days so I will sure be glad when they get this all taken care of.

You all have a great day today! I am going to fix myself some breakfast. Faye
gma22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 10:19 AM   #2  

Good Morning, Flowers! It is cold and spitting snow in my corner of the world. Throw in a little wind for effect and I'm staying inside today! I have a pile of ironing that needs attention so that is my plan for this morning!

Susan -- Glad to see you are back with us! We have missed you!!

"Gma" -- Thank you for starting the new thread! Because of location Sioux City draws people from rural Iowa, Nebraska, and South Dakota. The parking lots always seem to be full on the weekends so we make our plan of action, if we must go then, and rarely do any idle shopping. Bob likes to drop me off and then stays in the car until I call him on the cell phone to pick me up. Sioux City had a couple smorgasboard type restaurants close but I think it was a chain and they went belly up a couple of years ago. Applebee's is another favorite and there is always a wait there also. I look forward to running errands in warmer weather.

Maggie -- Those in the know claim that running water attracts the birds. I would love to have a fountain but so far haven't been able to talk Bob into one. We have room for several bird baths; that would not be a problem when we can fill them from the outside faucet with a hose. Now we have to haul water from inside because of the cold weather. It was almost
dry again this morning so guess the deer were thirsty last night.

I need to get a move on. I spend way too much time on the computer these days! Have a terrific Tuesday and stay warm!

Jean -- from Iowa!
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 12:26 PM   #3  
Thin Within

Talking Thankful Tuesday

GOOD MORNING MAGNOLIAS

It is a chilly day in the Heartland. The temp is actually 25 as I type but the wind chill makes it feel like 11. That's what the weather folks say. I couldn't attest to it because I have not been out there yet this day and don't plan on it either. I am goning to make a loaf of bread this day and haven't yet decided what kind. I think I will make it with herbs and spices to eat with soup. I make it low fat in my small bread machine that makes a great loaf. I also use Splenda instead of sugar so the bread is more healthful and lower in points that way. BTW I did show a loss of 2.2 at weigh in last evening and feel jazzed about it. Going in the right direction and keeping my FOCUS isn't always easy. It is time for me to gather all the trash into a big bag from our offices. My office can is full to overflowing. I went through some magazines and catalogues and tossed them so it filled up quick. I start at one end of the house making my way to the kitchen gathering trash from the containers along the way.

JEAN That is good that the deer can come to your yard and get water. Only the strong survive. Just what has peeked your interest on the internet to be spending more time on it? I know you must have more time to do that sort of thing since you are among the retired now. Isn't it nice to now have your day to do as you want.

DONNA FAYE I hope they do your nails as you want them done. Yep, I like the tera cotta color also. I love to hear the water falling when we are out back BBQing. I am so glad that Will likes breakfast at dinner time some times for it sure makes it easy. I made scrambled eggs with Schwans mushroom and onion mixture and some oregano & garlic and they were yummy along with those Schwans little 2 point steak rounds and some 2 point biscuits with sugarless jam on them. A bowl of fruit for dessert. Yep it was good. I love shopping with Schwans because they portion things so nicely and the food is good and fresh tasting.

SUSAN Where art thou?

Everyone have a wonderful day. Type at y'all later.

Maggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 04:20 PM   #4  

Maggie, congrats on losing 2.2#s! I am having a hard time getting back on track after being gone. I only gained a half # but know it is because we did a lot of walking and only ate 2 meals a day with a couple of afternoon ice cream cones after our whale watch rides. I also post on another forum that originated from a WW board many years ago. I have been with them over 10 years because I sent out a family wedding picture at Christmas that year. I got to meet one of the gals from NE this summer which was so fun. When I first joined they had a get together in NY but I didn't feel comfortable going that far away so soon after joining the group. They have talked about another reunion and I'm voting for Omaha! Two live in NE, one on the NE border of Kansas, and I'm in IA. I can spend a lot of time just playing solitaire and procrastinating!

Last edited by Jean; 02-23-2010 at 04:23 PM.
Old 02-23-2010, 09:18 PM   #5  

Good evening, ladies. 44 degrees right now, but it is supposed to snow tomorrow. Not good - the Mid-Atlantic Quilt Festival begins tomorrow night and I have to hang our quilts at noon.

I have a cardiologist appointment at 9:45. My feet and legs are swollen something awful. I hope they are that way in the morning so he can see how they get. I'm not expecting anything but the Pulmonary Hypertension diagnosis.

Faye, I'm glad you are starting to feel better and it won't be surgery to fix you up. It's too bad you had to be miserable so long with that wretched medicine. I wasn't without phone service, just internet. With my new service, I have e411 which notifies the Sheriff's Department that there is a problem at my address if I can just get the phone off the hook. I was able to put in my medications and all my doctors and diagnosis and my hospital preference. A little more piece of mind for no more money. I love to get my nails done but they don't last long with the quilting. They get chipped and scratched with pins and needles so I usually don't get them done unless I am going somewhere special.

Jean, Isn't it nice to make friends on the internet and then to actually get to meet them. I've tried putting out bird feeders but the racoons break into them at night and eat everything, sometimes they even take the feeder with them. I only put water out for the birds when the creek freezes. I am being overun with rabbits and deer right now.

Maggie, I can smell your bread baking. There's nothing like bread warm from the baking. Congratulations on the loss - looks like you are back in the groove. I have no idea how I am doing because Monday I was up 5 pounds from Sunday - all water and who know how long it will be until it leaves again. I had problems with water retention last year that started at this time and lasted until June. I think if it doesn't come off quickly, I'm going to cancel my monthly pass and just do my lifetime weigh in each month and go to the meetings without weighing in the rest of the time.

I had a very busy day at work today. It seems like I try to get all my usual work done in half the time. I really need to quit that.

Have a good night - and I hope everyone sleeps well.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 05:24 AM   #6  

Good morning gals! When it rains, it pours at our house. Jack tripped over something sticking up on the road at work yesterday and fell and tore his knee. I took him to the dr they use for OTJ injury and they xrayed both knees. He tore a bit of tendon on the inside of his right knee so they put him in this elastic brace and he is on crutches. He also was put on Aleve and a round of steroids. The thing is, the stupid rules for workmen's comp don't allow him to stay home unless he is critical so he has to go to work this morning and he is in no shape to do so. His car is parked out at the plant because he couldn't drive so we are going to have to deal with getting it home too. On top of that, I am having some diverticulitis issues for some reason so have been in pain the last couple days on and off. Brother, I think pain and injury can leave our house alone for awhile!

Susan: I heard they are predicting one more big snowstorm for a majority of the country this year. Hopefully, the snow will pass you by this time. Glad you got all the emergency doodads on your phone. I always worry about you being there alone and having a bad attack. My heart goes out to you about your feet and legs. I know what that feels like and it is no fun, especially when you have to go to work.

Jean: I am trying to get us organized again on WW. I have been so miserable that I let us slide just so I didn't have to stand and cook. For being on vacation, you did a-ok with it all I think. Maybe one of these days all of us girls can get together before we get too old to do it. I would love to meet face to face with all of you.

Maggie: Congrats on the loss, that is wonderful!!! I think I am on every list where they send out catalogues. I get them from everybody and for everything. Once you order from someone online, you are sure to get a catalogue! I dump my straight away most times, especially since I am trying not spend any money on clothes or whatever.

Well gals, I need to go. I have to take Jack to work this morning so will need to be upstairs in just a bit to help him get ready. Getting him downstairs will be interesting. I got him upstairs last night by having him go up backwards on his bum then I had his office chair at the top of the stairs so he was able to get into that then onto his crutches. Take care all and have a great hump day! Faye
Old 02-24-2010, 09:30 AM   #7  

Good Morning, Flowers! The sun is shining brightly and it's -9 outside. The snow is not going to melt very fast at this rate. I'm going to iron again this morning then finish vacuuming around stuff in the basement. I really should sort and pitch down there before the snow melts and we have trickles running across the floor to the drain.

Susan -- I think having the emergency information and help available on your phone setup is a great idea. Before my dad remarried I worried about him living alone and had a neighbor keeping an eye on him for me. She told me once that he was hardly ever home! I hope your legs and feet are better today. I can tell when I've had too much salt as my shoes are tight.

"Gma" -- Poor Jack! I can imagine how much his knee hurts! I feel sorry for you too! How much work can Jack do when he is on crutches? If the injury is work related you'd think they would be more lenient with taking some time off. I guess one can't cure "stupid!" Wish we lived closer so we could help!

I'm off to attack the chore list. I wish you all a comfortable day! (great just didn't seem to fitright)

Jean -- from Iowa!

Last edited by Jean; 02-24-2010 at 09:32 AM.
Old 02-24-2010, 07:50 PM   #8  

Good evening, ladies. Rain started in the early afternoon and I'm seeing snow flakes now. I don't think anything will accumulate unless it gets a lot colder, however.

3 of my friends and I hung the quilts for our exhibt at the quilt show. I am exhausted. It's really hard for me to use my arms overheard much and quilts are heavy, plus we had the metal rod it was on, and then up and down the ladders. Anyway, it's done and the taking down on Sunday will be a lot faster.

Everything was good at the cardiologist today and I don't have to back for a year unless I feel I need to. I have volunteered for a research study into COPD for a new medication. I had the telephone screening this evening and she says everything looks good for me to participate. Next will be an office visit for testing. I do hope I get accepted. It will last 13 weeks, involved 9 office visits and pays $900 for time and travel and it's about 5 miles from my house.

Faye, poor Jack! I hope he's a quick healer. It sure would be fun if we could all get together and visit. How's your son in law doing now?

Jean, I feel for you in Iowa. Way too much snow and cold for my tastes!

I think I'm heading upstairs for an early night. Tomorrow is a work day!
Old 02-25-2010, 04:49 AM   #9  

Good morning ladies. Fortune had to go outside around 1 am so I let him out then just got into the recliner, but gave up trying to sleep. I will take a nap later.

Jack got the grand marquis home yesterday, but it was really hard for him to drive so I will be driving him back and forth until his knee is better. Good news is he can bend it a bit more than he could and he says it doesn't ache like it did, only sore if he moves it too much or touches the spot where the tendon is torn. So, I imagine he will heal ok. He has to go back on Saturday and we have to be there at 8 am sharp so no sleeping in.

Jean: Yikes, you just can't get a break. Below zero temps sound awful. We were cold here yesterday because it was really windy, but it is supposed to warm up nicely this weekend with no rain, which will be nice. Jack absolutely can do no work. He sits at a desk with his laptop and goofs off all day. I guess by having him show up at work, even though he can't work, they don't have to report it to OSHA that they had a "man down" so to speak. You know, those places have to keep track on how many days they have no lost work and such and report it to OSHA. With them having to come to work even though they don't work, they don't have to report it I guess. One guy a few weeks ago slipped on ice at work and fell down a whole huge flight of stairs. He cracked ribs and was pretty beaten up and had to come into work everyday. I think it is a crappy way to do things, but that is what places like that do I guess.

Susan: As far as I know, Tom is doing well. Thomas told me he is back to normal. Now my dil is having problems with her lymph nodes so is going through blood tests and possibly a biopsy to find out what is going on. I guess Kelly is still gimping along with her ankle too. Our family is a big medical mess at the moment! lol Hope the quilt show goes well! I would love to go to one sometime just to see them all.

I have clinic tomorrow and I have not worked my last two, one because of going to Chattanooga and last week because my feet and legs were so swollen. With having to go and get Jack, I am going to have to leave an hour early tomorrow. Nothing I can do about it. I can't be in two places at the same time.

You gals have a good day. Tonight is Burn Notice so I have to make sure I get a good nap so I can stay up as it comes on late. Only two more episodes and it is done again. This 8 episodes then done is irritating. It just started again in January and here it is finishing up all ready. All the shows are doing that now, 8 episodes then done for the season then they start up 3-4 months later again. I remember the good ole days when shows went from Sept-April or May before they were done for the season. Faye
Old 02-25-2010, 09:20 AM   #10  

Good Morning, Flowers! The sun is shining and it's "only" -7 this morning. We are supposed to warm up into the 20s for the next few days. I have the usual chores to do this morning; I should clean bathrooms and that is my least favorite chore to do.

Susan -- It would be interesting to be in a research study. Will they share the end results with you? I'm glad you had a good report from your doctor. Enjoy the quilt show this weekend! Do you have to work after having helped hang the quilts?

"Gma" -- I'm glad Jack's knee if feeling a bit better. I can't imagine sitting around the workplace with cracked ribs; I know they are very painful and it even hurts to breathe. We've been watching quite a bit of the Olympics so haven't had the tv on otherwise. It seems like the good programs aren't lasting as long as they used to.

I need to get busy; the guy who was supposed to shovel our roof yesterday afternoon didn't show up so I'm hoping he will this morning. The spot on our ceiling is getting bigger and turning an UGLY brown. Ernie sits and stares at it like it might take off and fly.

Have a terrific Thursday! It's hard to believe that February will soon be history . . . one month closer to spring!

Jean -- from Iowa!
Old 02-25-2010, 03:45 PM   #11  

Good afternoon, ladies. In the low 40s for the rest of the week with high winds until 3 PM tomorrow...the tailend of the nor'easter that affected the northeast. No snow accumulation but more in the forecast next week.

Faye, I'm glad Jack is doing a bit better. I hope everyone in your family gets healthy soon...enough with the docs already! If I every hear of a quilt show about half way for each of us, I'll let you know and maybe we could meet. I'll try to take some decent pictures I can post so you can see where quilting is going.

Jean, you are having a heat wave! And here I am complaining about temps in the 40s being so cold. I guess everything is relative.

I'm going to the quilt show tomorrow afternoon, Saturday and Sunday. That should be enough time for me to buy what I want and get pictures.

Another month is almost over!

Have a good evening!
Old 02-26-2010, 08:50 AM   #12  

Good morning to all you lovely ladies! I am hoping the dr will let Jack start driving again next week. He is getting along without his crutches in the house, though he still takes and uses them at work. He is now wearing a smaller knee brace (he says the other one, which is long and black makes him sweat a lot) and he says it is not hurting like it was so I guess he is on the mend.

We are gluttons for punishment, so are going to try again in Oct of this year to go to Houston for a Cubs game. If you remember right, the last time we were going to go a hurricane blew in right before we were ready to leave. Hopefully that won't happen this year. I already bought the tickets! lol I also hope the Cubs don't put it in the dumper again this year so that the game will be a "who cares" kind of thing!

Jean: Did you see the poor speed skater who was a sure gold medal winner have his coach put him in the wrong lane and he ended up disqualified? I felt so sorry for him. That sweet little gal who lost her mama did a wonderful job skating I thought. What pressure that must have been on her. I guess her mom came to Vancouver to watch her and had a massive heart attack while there and died just a few days ago. So sad. So are you in + digits for weather yet? We are supposed to be around 50 today so I am keeping my fingers crossed. It isn't too cold now.

Susan: I would love to see some of the quilts. I wish I had someone to go with at the quilt shows they have here. I would like to walk around and see them.

I have to get working on my 2010 budget. I have been dragging my feet because it takes hours to do. It is a pain, but sure makes paying bills easy. I guess I better hope to it and get my chores done that at least start tackling the next few months.

Have a great day everybody and a super weekend! Faye
Old 02-26-2010, 09:50 AM   #13  

Good Morning, Flowers! It is "warmer" this morning but cloudy and gloomy. I'd almost rather have cold and sunshine -- never happy with the weather! I have a haircut in an hour, a funeral at 1:30, and then we are heading to Sioux City to pick up a tool box that Bob ordered at Sears last weekend.

Susan -- Are you buying quilts at the quilt show or fabric to make more quilts? I'm sure you will enjoy your time there. I hope the snow misses you this time around. This has been such a strange winter for weather all across the U. S.

"Gma" -- It's 18 degrees here according to the computer! I'm glad Jack's knee if feeling better each day! I think he is wise to use the crutches at work, just to be safe. I missed the speed skater incident; that's too bad. I did get in on some of the remarks about Lindsay Vonn from her teammate Marcuso. I'd say Lindsay did an awesome job to win her gold considering her injured shin. I detected a hint of jealousy but maybe I read more into it than Marcuso meant. I did watch the skaters as they are my favorite. I felt so bad for the little gal whose mom died. I was glad she won her medal. I bet the 4th place 16 year old will be on the stands next time around!

I am dressed and ready to go so guess I will dig out the vacuum and at least make it look like I was doing something worthwhile.

Hope you all have a fantastic Friday!

Jean -- from Iowa!
Old 02-26-2010, 11:32 AM   #14  
Thin Within

Talking Finally Friday

GOOD MORNING MAGNOLIAS

It is cold and bright here in the heartland. Today we are going to go to Lucas where we get our good jerkey and meat at that meat market in that little small town. It is about an hour away but well worth the drive and we have a good time going and coming. It is our very most favorite meat market that we have found around here. What we don't get at Schwans we get there. The butcher fresh grinds our burger meat and cuts the chops to the thickness we want when we want to stuff some. Plus he makes the best beef jerkey. When I get my new dehydrator I am going to make some. I have made it in the past and it turned out great. My mom always made hers in the oven. She made good jerkey and bathtub root beer. She actually had a bottle capper and we had great root beer floats in the summertime. Will is at Wal-Mart getting a new printer. This will be the third one he has gotten since we moved here. The other two just took a dump and now he has gotten an HP model and I imagine it will be a lot better than those other two. I have had my HP for years and it is still working fine and it has all the bells and whistles on it that I need. I have always had good experiences with Hp products.

JEAN I do hope your hair cut is satisfactory this day. I love haircut day for I have such a good gal that does mine. Your Iowa has been in the deep freeze and I do know you will love it when Spring gets here and the corn is knee high before the 4th of July.

DONNA FAYE So glad Jack is better ~ now the healing begins. That poor guy has had it hasn't he. Go Cubbies. I do hope that game you have tickets for is a good one. I sure feel sorry for that young man whose coach put him in the wrong lane. Just what was he thinking.

SUSAN Your quilt shows sound nice. I would attend if I lived closer but it is a bit far to go from here I do believe. I love to see the handy work of artists like that.

Well ladies time for me to start thinking of some breakfast. Type at y'all later
Maggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 07:28 PM   #15  

Good evening, ladies! It was in the 40s today but so windy!

I went to the quilt show for a few hours this afternoon and checked out the vendors. I bought a package of yellow lead for my quilt marking pencil and could not find anything else I wanted to spend money on. If that isn't a sure sign I have too much, I don't know what is. The quilts are really outstanding this year.

Faye, I'm glad Jack is doing better. I wish I were closer, I'd come and go to the quilt shows with you. No hurricanes this year!

Jean, You sure had a busy day planned. I don't buy quilts anywhere. I look for books and supplies.

Maggie, I like HP printers, too. Very trouble free and good prices. I remember homemade root beer, too, and also going to the A&W rootbeer stand with a gallon judge to get it. Those were the days!

I had my first appoint for the drug trial today, met the doctor, filled out papers and they looked at all my meds and made changes to my some of my dosages. I hope I pass the next two tests. The doctor and I both think we know each other from somewhere but can't figure out where.

Have a good evening!