Chicks in Control Overeating? Binging? Share uplifting support and gain control!

Old 02-17-2010, 06:05 PM   #1  
Closet health nut!

S/C/G: S268/C170s/G140s

Height: Officially 5'-6"

Default I think I've beaten it - 6 weeks binge free!

I don't want to speak too soon, but it's been probably 6 weeks since my last binge. Now all of us are different, of course, so what is working for me may not work for everyone, but I hope my story will inspire someone and let them know that you don't have to live this way!

All through high school I was fit and thin at 5'-5" 140 about an 8/10. But even then I struggled with overeating and food "control" issues. I went off to college and met my now husband and endured a hellish architecture degree which meant nights of no sleep, fast food and more food. After college we were broke and down on our luck and 2 more years past and the next thing I knew I weight 267 lbs! Finally our lucked turned and we were stable and I decided I didn't want to live this way anymore. So I started Nutrisystem. I lost 30 lbs and decided their food just wasn't for me so I'd finish it on my own. I lost another 40 lbs and then got pregnant, gain 50 lbs back. I then lost those 50 lbs + another 10 just by going back to eating healthy portions, but I was still binging on the weekends or whenever I was alone, because my diet was good during the week though I managed just to plateau and maintain 187 lbs for months.

At the begining of this year I said enough is enough and started my weight loss journey again through calorie counting. I've lost almost another 10 lbs in the last 6 weeks and been binge free. I've found that I am now in control through calorie counting. I understand that this is still an obsessive behavior, but at least it's a healthy one. And the economy has put a real strain on my family since the begining of the year, yet I have not once turned to food for comfort, instead I've stayed focused and put that stress, anxiety and energy into exercising and keeping my calories "on plan" (I'll give myself one "cheat" day a week, but because my calories are lower during the weeek, it doesn't slow my weight loss).

So here I am 90 lbs lighter with 40 lbs to go. But honestly I don't care if I lose the last 40. I'm very happy with how I look and I'm fit, I exercise almost daily, and I can sustain this way of eating for the rest of my life. I don't feel deprived, I don't feel guilty for eating something I "shouldn't" occassionally. I no longer feel ashamed of consuming thousands of calories a day when I'm alone. My binging was a very private thing, and I was always ashamed of myself. But I don't have to feel that way anymore, and neither do any of you. Maybe calorie counting isn't your thing, maybe there are too many temptations there, but just find that one thing, and I know many of you have tried EVERYTHING (I tried atkins, food addicts anonymous, Nutrisystem, etc., etc. ) but I promise it's out there. And if you go a few weeks with no binging and then slip up, no worries, tomorrow is a new day!
ncuneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 06:22 PM   #2  
Closet health nut!

Thought I might add some tips. I'm sure you've heard many of them, but they're always worth repeating.

1. Keep Busy - I know I'm in big trouble when I'm bored. Get out of the house or clean it, better yet - Exercise!

2. Exercise - I may be craving something when I'm start exercising, but I'm sure not craving it during or after. I know many of you hate exercising, but if you can just do 30 mins a day every other to every day for at least 3 weeks it will become habit to you and just feel like it's part of your day. You may suprise yourself, you may start to look forward to it and start to look for new ways to challenge yourself.

3. Chew Gum - Find some gum you really enjoy and buy LOTS of it. This didn't used to work for me, but now it does. If it's within a few hours of a meal chewing some gum really does the trick. Or if I just ate and I get that sweet tooth.

4. Water, water, water - Drink water before every meal, during and between meals if you can handle it. Try to aim for 100 oz or 1/2 your body weight, whatever is greater. You'll get some exercise from all the trips to the potty too Seriously though it really helps with the cravings. Get creative too, add some water or crystal light, whatever you have to do to get it in.

5. Give yourself time. Those first few days/weeks were a little tough. I was having cravings and still just wanted to binge, but I just hung in there and although some days were tougher than others it paid off. I don't know if there is any science to this, but it seems like the longer I've gone without binging the easier it is not to binge.

6. Take smaller bites and eat slowly. If you just can't control a craving, give in. But start with a small serving. Instead of 5 heaping mouthfuls of peanut butter, have just 2 Tbsps with apple slices and eat small bites. Once you're done really listen to yourself, you might eventually find you really are satisfied with just that amount.

7. Always eat 1/2 of what they serve you in the restaurant. Our society has gotten so out of control with portion sizes that a lot of us just don't realize how little we really need to eat. The easiest way is ask them to bring a box with your meal and put it away right away. It's just too easy to keep taking bites when it's right there.
Old 02-17-2010, 06:56 PM   #3  
Back in Action

S/C/G: 213/197/140

Height: 5'6"

Good for you! I hope you have beaten it!

I went months without a binge when I first started my weight loss. I went from the beginning of March until Christmas Day without even a single cheat...then all **** broke loose. FOr the next week I binged daily. I finally got it back into control but still lose it if I allow myself "cheats" For example, on Saturday the restaurant dear MIL took us to for a special Valentine put a hand full of Hershey's kisses down with our bill. I ate 3 of them for 66 calories...counted and on plan...After that all I could think of was sugar. The next day we had a pot luck after church and because it was V-day there were TONS of sugar treats. I totally lost control...for 3 days. So here I am, back at day one without a binge. Sucks really.
Lori Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 07:06 PM   #4  
Maintainer since 8/15/09

S/C/G: 173/118.6/110-115lbs.

Height: 5'3

I have been trying to beat binging for the past 9mo. I started after i lost all the weight and was trying to maintain. My weight kept dipping down too low(104lbs.) One more pound and I was considered underweight, so I started binging once a week to keep my weight up. Well that was a big mistake and now I fight the urge everyday. 6 weeks with no binging would be a blessing for me. You must be proud of yourself, I know I would be. I have been counting calories for two years now and it is the only way to go for me. But on those days that want to binge, I throw that right in the trash. I do go back to counting calories the very next day though. So that wouldn't help me too much since i just give up counting after I have had too much. Good luck!
fruitlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 08:25 PM   #5  
Closet health nut!

I'm just trying to take one day at a time. I'd love to think that 6 weeks and I'm cured, but it's sure feels different this time and 6 weeks is probably the longest I've ever gone. And unfortunatly because I have a DH who eats HORRIBLY and a toddler so there is always CRAP in the house. I would have put that as #8 on my list of tips Not have CRAP in the house, but sometimes it's just not an option. Even with life crumbling around me, I'm feeling so positive about my health and weight loss. Good luck to us all!
Old 02-17-2010, 08:32 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 202/160/135

Height: 5 ft 6 in

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncuneo View Post
Thought I might add some tips. I'm sure you've heard many of them, but they're always worth repeating.
thank you so much! You know, you read so many posts on this board, a lot of them saying the same things, but sometimes, someone writes something in way that completely resonates. Your post was that for me.

I'm bringing back the chewing gum too - that helps A LOT for me as well.

Also, I used to buy these Baskin Robbins hard candies (I think they were mint chocolate). Sucking on one of those kept a lot of my chocolate/sugar cravings at bay - your post reminded me of that so I'm going to go out and buy some for at night when I'm sitting there watching my trash TV shows and scouring the kitchen for something (ANYTHING) to eat just cause I'm bored.

thank you! And congrats - six weeks is a LONG time, that's awesome!

~CGH~
choirgirlhotel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 08:37 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 282/282/145

Height: 5' 5''

Hooray for you for 6 weeks clean and sober, so to speak. I'm glad for your post because it makes me feel like someone can relate. Isn't it sad that we have to struggle with the urge to binge everyday? But, alas, it's our path in life. I'm just glad to know that others deal with it, too. I have some sisters in suffering out there.
ThinkinThin is offline   Reply With Quote