Chicks in Control Overeating? Binging? Share uplifting support and gain control!

Old 02-13-2010, 09:28 PM   #16  

S/C/G: 297/179/160

Height: 5'9

No worries Bonnnie, no offence taken. I just didn't want to come across as someone who really didn't hae a problem but was just looking for attention. It is really not that way, I do have a sever problem with purging and it takes me more will power to not purge up the bad foods I eat the more weight I seem to lose. I'm going to be seeing another dr this week as it's just getting a little out of control. If I don't overeat and purge I'm so paranoid I'm going to overeat that I cut back severely on my calories. I'm trying to eat 1400 calories per day although I've been told I need at an extreme weight loss point to eat 1700 calories. To be totally honest with you I have no idea how many calories to even eat...all the calculators I try vary drastically. If anyone would be willing to help me on that I would greatly appreciate it!
a cheal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 11:34 PM   #17  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Purging is not recommended as a diet tool ,.I agree that you must see a qualified doctor about this. Take mandalinns advice .
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 11:50 PM   #18  
Mrs. Brady

S/C/G: 283/259/180

Height: 5'6"

If your doctor won't classify you as having an eating disorder, find one who will.

I really hate it when doctors are so dismissive like that.
LovebirdsFlying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 09:52 AM   #19  

S/C/G: 195/130/135

Height: 5'4"

"I really hate it when doctors are so dismissive like that."

I agree. I've read many journals of young ladies with eating disorders on another site and many run into this problem.....not meeting a certain weight criteria in order to qualify. And you'd think anyone with half a brain would realize that making yourself vomit is a problem...no matter what you weigh.
However, being in the medical profession does not automatically guarantee that you have common-sense. I worked in the field and can assure you of that.

Bulimic behavior can cause all sorts of other health issues even if one's weight is normal...or even too high....including, erosion of tooth enamel, losing of critical nutrients and electrolytes, esophageal erosion, etc. To make you have to meet some sort of underweight criteria is unfair, IMO.....and even not medically sound.

deena
Deena52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 04:54 PM   #20  
eratosthanes

S/C/G: 297/273/170

Height: 5'5"

I understand that. I used to purge maybe 3-4 times a week, just when I had a binge, but it wasn't doing me any favors. I haven't done it in about a month now, and that was the first time in a few. Just keep at it, and maybe develop another habit to help with the "guilt." I suggest adding an extra 1/2 mile per week to your walking/running per 250 cal. of binging. If you make yourself try to stick with it, you will soon realize it is just better to eat a little less, lol.

Also, keep lots of pre-cut (cut them yourself for less $$) veggies and fruit in the fridge, so you can binge on something good for you. Two whole pieces of fruit, a couple of carrots and celery sticks with a tiny bit of PB and honey, and a cup of 1% milk will leave you very full for less than 500 cal. The bonus is you will find yourself losing weight faster because you are getting better nutrition. Oh, and keep ALL of your favorite binge foods out of the house. If you have to go buy them to have your binge, you may think twice (And if you are out of money, it will be impossible!).

Me ex-best friend had a bout of anorexia, hadn't eaten more than 200 cal a day for a couple of weeks, but couldn't get back in therapy because her BMI was over 18. It's crazy, she was trying to make sure she DIDN'T get back to that point, but they were saying she couldn't get help until she was!

Further more, I would recommend getting AT LEAST 1600 a day, ESP if you are getting lots of exercise, or suffer from any insulin issues. Personally, I will binge in the middle of the night if I don't eat 1800, with around 150 of that right before bed, against all advice to the contrary.

Last edited by eratosthanes; 02-15-2010 at 04:56 PM.
eratosthanes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 05:43 PM   #21  

i just have to say... i logged on to 3fc to post something similar as i just ate almost an entire can of whipped cream... and i dont mean the fat free stuff. it has pushed my caloric intake far over the line it was supposed to be below. GRRRRRRRR WHHHYYYYYY!!! i havent binged in a while but this one just made me feel horrible
brownsugah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 07:31 PM   #22  
eratosthanes

Ohh, *winces* I have done that many times! Have you ever bought cream for a recipe, and found yourself drinking it? THAT'S the worst! I refuse to buy it anymore, and only use artificial creamer for my coffee, so I won't have that urge.

Last edited by eratosthanes; 02-15-2010 at 07:32 PM.
Old 02-15-2010, 08:12 PM   #23  
Mrs. Brady

Even as I am posting this, I am eating with a spoon the rest of the frosting from Kadoka's cake. 75 calories and 23 carbs per tablespoon. There are only about 3 tablespoons left in it so this won't do a huge amount of damage, but WHY am I eating straight frosting out of the can? Especially when I've been sick with a major stomach flu?

Because I can't stop myself.

(PS: Kadoka is my grandson's name. He just turned one, and I made his cake.)

Last edited by LovebirdsFlying; 02-15-2010 at 08:13 PM.
Old 02-15-2010, 08:43 PM   #24  

S/C/G: 297/179/160

Height: 5'9

Sounds like I'm not the only one going through this problem then which makes me feel a lot more "normal" doing something so ab-normal. I'm trying really hard to not indulge in chocolate or goodies so I won't make myself purge. I hate it! Sometimes I feel like I've got completely no will-power and other days I look at the chocolate and say I don't even crave you. I wish it was as simple as that everyday! I do find it hard when I'm cooking dinner for my fiance and I to calculate my calories in a meal. I made vegetable stirfry (carrots, broccoli, cauliflower, celery, cabbage, onion, mushrooms) last night with .73 pounds of lean beef cubes. Was I right in estimating 600 calories for approx 1 cup of vegetables and beef? i had about 5 small cubes of beef in my stirfry.
a cheal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 09:56 PM   #25  
eratosthanes

No, you are WAY off. My stirfry, where I use shrimp instead of beef, but lots more of them, is only 466 cal. I also believe that each of my servings is about 2-3 cups.
Shrimp Stir-fry
20 shrimp 240
1 bag stir-fry mix 120
½ large onion 30
4 cloves garlic 39
1 can baby corn 50
1 can bamboo 50
1 can water chstnts 100
2 Tb soy sauce 30
½ t corn starch 12
1 Tb honey 60
1 Tb+2t oil 200
Total: 931
Total per serving: 446

Perhaps you are not eating enough? I recommend thedailyplate.com/nutrition-calories to figure out what is in your food. I did a food log for a week, and it was very enlightening. I made changes on a few of my recipes to make them low-cal, but some, like this stirfry, were even lower than I thought. Don't starve, sweetie, just count.

(Edit: I will post this in the recipes if anyone thinks I should, with instructions of course)

Last edited by eratosthanes; 02-15-2010 at 10:08 PM.
Old 02-15-2010, 10:05 PM   #26  
Mrs. Brady

I'll have to substitute flour for the corn starch, and bell pepper for the baby corn, but I think I'll try that recipe myself.

Carry on--didn't mean to hijack the thread.
Old 02-15-2010, 11:02 PM   #27  
eratosthanes

BTW, if you think beef has 100 cal. per cube, you REALLY need to research your calories.

Also, I looked at your prof. and seeing that you are my sister's height and only 225, sweetie, you are GORGEOUS! I would LOVE to look like you. Keep at it, but if you want to keep it off, and get the rest off without compromising your health, PLEASE do some research before you decide how much you have eaten.

Last edited by eratosthanes; 02-15-2010 at 11:05 PM.