Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 12-08-2009, 11:19 AM   #1  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Default Mixing up grains (brown rice/millet mixture!!)

One thing I've been doing lately is mixing grains together to make various combinations. 3/4 quinoa, 1/4 amaranth is a pretty good combo but I just discovered one last night! 1/2 short grain brown rice with 1/2 millet. I used the oven cooking method (for me, I need 3.5 cups/water per 2 cups of grain).

It was so good, kind of nutty, almost tasted corny too.

Oh and I should mention that I lightly toasted the millet before adding the water.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 11:38 AM   #2  
Working on healthy

Height: 5'5.5

I make hot breakfast cereal that way. I make mine in the crockpot. Usually it's 1/3 - 1/2 steel cut oats with wheat or spelt berries, quinoa, amaranth, etc added. I love the added texture and experiment all the time.
CyndiM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 02:03 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 227/159/148

Height: 5'9"

I love whole grains.

I love mixing them, I love talking about them, I love chewing them. They just are so hearty and natural and from the earth.

I've also mixed brown rice and millet. It is an excellent combo and pretty as well.
bonnnie is offline   Reply With Quote