Closed Thread

Old 10-22-2006, 12:01 PM   #1  
Michigan Old-Timer

Default Old Hens - 40+ and Ready to Lose!!! #99

This thread is a sub-set of the 300+ thread.

This group is for those dealing with the challenges of having a significant amount of weight to lose and being fit which becomes harder after age 40. If you're an old or new friend and not over 40 and feel this is the place to post, jump right in.

WELCOME!!
Old 10-22-2006, 12:17 PM   #2  
Michigan Old-Timer

Good morning, ladies! (oops, guess it's AFTER noon already! )

I did the "showgirl" thing yesterday and decided since Honey was tied up that I would stay and see a movie. I didn't figure Flicka would be his cup of tea so that's the one I decided to see. VERY GOOD!!! However, no one warned me to bring a box of kleenex. I've always been a sucker for horsey films. The story line was good, the horses were beautiful and Tim McGraw was HOTT!!!

Honey finally got home from #1 Son's house about 7:30 PM. He brought me roses for Sweetest Day. Awwww...... He had done drywalling and put up a new pull-down staircase in the kid's garage so now he'll be able to store stuff up in the rafters.

Honey's pretty well beat today. Relaxing in the recliner.

He just got finished watching some of his DVR'd shows so I'm going to join him and watch some together to try and clean off the DVR. Too many good shows we watch this Fall.

Karen: That's really something about the woman in your office going to the boss, of all people, to mention your weightloss. Funny, how others react to us, isn't it??? CONGRATS! Isn't it fun when someone notices?

Terri: I sure hope the COO and CEO knock some sense into the Chicago folks. The mind games and emotional rollercoaster are almost the worst part of the whole takeover process. IMHO. *How did the sale go? Did you get some good money for Peso? Hope all went well and that the trailering and travel went smoothly.

Lilion: It sounds to me like you did real well at the wedding. I mean, come on. Think about how you would have really splurged 80-some pounds ago before you started paying attention. I think you should pat yourself on the back and call it GOOD! Too bad your DH had to work. I never like going places like that without mine.

Ok girls, I'm gonna go spend some time on the couch.

See you all later. Love ya bunches!
Old 10-22-2006, 08:43 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 278/267.2/180

Height: 5'7"

Hi ladies,

We're back home safe and sound. The weather was just awful with rain on Saturday and gloom on Sunday.

Peso did pretty good considering this was her first outing in that kind of setting. She was nervous but no really bad incidents which I saw out of several horses. Made me feel better! Her selling price was $200. Yes, two hundred dollars. The prices for horses was just awful at this sale. Spice was pretty darn happy to see her buddy come home. Yup, it was a no sale. There were riding horses going for $225. But then the next horse might go for $4700. I think it has a lot to do with the sale manager. If its his horses he selling, he talks them up big time or if he knows the people. Otherwise, he just reads an intro and doesn't do any sales job on the horse. So all that work and she's still with us. Guess she's safe until Spring when we'll maybe try another type of auction.

If my brother wants to keep coming out and working with the horses, he's welcome to it. I will be on the inside enjoying the house for a few days. At least the evenings after work I will. I might or might not be off work for two days PTO this week.

to everyone!
Old 10-23-2006, 09:01 AM   #4  
Hang In There

Yes, Believe it or not, things have been rather quiet at the office. Just getting the lines drawn for the next round probally!

Mother? As all of you know I'm having a really hard time getting my head on straight and getting motivated into getting healthy. I saw that you are in TOPS. What can you tell me about it? I'm thinking about trying it,but a little bit leary. Do they have a specific diet to follow? What's the difference between TOPS and WW (except the cost of the meetings)? I was that they have an online program, would that work, or do you need to be able to go to the meetings? Anyone else who knows the answers to thes questions, feel free to jump right in!

Terri, I am thinking along the lines of you hubby doc. Why bother until after the first of the year? But I KNOW that is not the right attitude!!!

Ruth, When will the surgery be? Keep us informed, we'll keep you in our thoughts and prayers.

Hello to everyone else. Have a great Monday.
Old 10-23-2006, 10:32 AM   #5  

Talking

Good Morning Ladies!

Wanted to drop in and say "Howdy!" The weekend was pretty good. I still have 19 flex points left...have tried really hard to not dip into them the rest of the week and used about 16 at the wedding, but that's okay. I'm feeling pretty good about the impending WI. I don't think I'll be back to 236, but I'm sure I'll be down. (Knock Wood ) I seem to be s-l-o-w-l-y getting over the PMS feelings I've been having too. It seems logical that I'd still have PMS, even if I no longer have M since the surgery in June. After all, I kept all the parts, they just aren't functional! So hopefully a big part of the gain was due to that. Came to the office yesterday and tried to get some work on, but it was a cold and miserable day and, all alone in this big building, I got the wiggins and had to leave. Tis the Season!

Barbara: Enjoy the quiet while it lasts!

Terri: You'll have to tell me where that auction is! Sorry Peso didn't sell for a decent sum, but I do have a friend who'll be in the market for a riding horse next spring/summer.

Thin: Awwwww! You got flowers! DH sends them to me, for my birthday and Valentines and our anniversary. That's it. Darn man bought them all the time before I married him! Personally, I think it's a good thing to start a diet/plan before the holidays. Might not lose, but if it's on your mind you're less likely to overeat and gain.

Has anyone heard from 2Cute?

Celery, Mary, Karen, Mother, JoAnne, Barb - and any other's I have missed... thinking of you!

Time for hearing #2! Got to run!
Old 10-23-2006, 11:05 AM   #6  
Beam me up Scotty!

S/C/G: 310/218/140

Height: 5'6"

Morning chickies!

Still trying to get my feet under me with all the work at school. Good thing I had these habits in place before I started, I don't think I would have been able to do it!

Any whoo, I was looking at my journal, and I guess this is 2x2 day. Weigh in today was 247.2. that's 5.2 pounds down for the 2 weeks.

Lilion, I agree, you would still have the same emotional experiences. Way to go on the wedding!

Terri, wow...I guess I never thought a horse could be sold for so little! That's just sad. I'm glad you didn't have to do it.

Thin, was that movie a remake on My Friend Flicka?

Well, off to school again! Have a great day everyone.
Old 10-23-2006, 11:32 AM   #7  
Michigan Old-Timer

Morning, girls!

Honey and I ALMOST got caught up on all the stuff on our DVR. There are just far too many good shows on this Fall we can't seem to get to them all. Thank goodness for Fridays and Saturdays when there's nothing good on or we'd never get caught up.

I'm taking mom to MY new doctor today. Funny, but I'm the one who convinced her to change doctors and see my OLD one. Now a year later I'm asking her to change again. Oh well, she's listening to me. I guess that's a good thing. I know she will get better care with this woman than the last one. The last one is the one that took such a laid back attitude about my diabetes. Now that I'm doing some reading on my own, that was NOT the attitude she should have been taking. Oh well, live and learn.

Here's the list for the 2X2. Just fill in the your weight loss. As you can see, I didn't do so well.

2x2 from October 9th - October 23rd
ThinThinker - .5
Terri
Karen - 5.2
Valerie
Mother
Lilion
Angela

Karen: What a GREAT loss!!! Good for you. You're doing so well. Here's some obscene carrots just for you!

Lilion: I think Honey felt bad when I gave him a card first thing in the morning and once again he had to say "oh, that's today?" Bless his heart. He does try.

Terri: Was buying, training and then selling the horses what you had in mind to begin with? I guess I just never thought of them as a business, more like a personal collection. Heck, what do I know??

Barb: I went to TOPS meeting years and years ago. Back then I don't remember them actually have a diet of their own. More like you did your own thing in that regards and then went to the meetings to weigh in, get inspiration and I think they used to have games/challenges each week or month. I don't know what they're like these days.

As to the whereabouts of our 2cute: She had such a rough Summer with her sister's illness and passing and now she's been on vacation with her hubby. Hopefully she will be back soon.

I've got to run, ladies. Must get something done sometime today. See ya all later. Love ya bunches!
Old 10-23-2006, 12:08 PM   #8  

Well, this is an embarassing WI! Since I go from Wed to Wed mine is measured by last Wed WI and we all know what that was like! It's coming down now, but I suppose I have to be honest.

ThinThinker - .5
Terri
Karen - 5.2
Valerie
Mother
Lilion - +4
Angela
Old 10-23-2006, 04:54 PM   #9  
Chained, Chainge, Change

S/C/G: 379.5/314/185

Height: 5'8"

Barb, I think each TOPS club is different. I have belonged to one crappy one. a medium one and one great one. The current club is the great one. There is a handbook you are encouraged to but although I don't have it. I couldn't afford it at the time and what I'm doing is working so I didn't bother. The encouragement and support is what I go for. Also I hadn't weighed myself in at least 2 years and was pretending. This way I can't. You can go as a guest in most places. Lots of larger cities have more than one club so you can pick your club if you live in a bigger place. There is lots of info given out in the form of pamphlets, paper and such. We have also had dietitians and physical therapists visit us for free and give talks and demos. I hope you give it a try.
Old 10-23-2006, 09:19 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 278/267.2/180

Height: 5'7"

Well, I suck. I'm up a pound instead of being down.

Today was a fairly decent day. I feel so much lighter since I have moved into a different mental zone. Work can be stressful now. DH will shut up about selling a horse for awhile. Mom is on her own. DB came out for dinner tonight. I told him that as far as I am concerned he's welcome to be out here any night he wants - just don't be offended if I'm sitting on the couch in my pajamas. And sometimes dinner will be good and sometimes it will suck; depends on if DH had a good cooking day or not. I came home late and he was sitting in the kitchen with DH - I said "the horses haven't been fed and the hay bale is still in the truck, why?" He came out with me and helped take care of everything and we talked about all the projects that he could help on - like my compost area and a hitching rail. Actually, this is kind of nice, he is in the kitchen with DH again and DH isn't yacking at me. Peace and quiet.

I'm taking off work tomorrow. I have way too much work to do to be taking off but I need to use the day. I plan on working in the office as it is a disaster. We might even take in a movie. Or I might go shopping to check out what clothes might be on sale.

The dog and I took a walk tonight. It was dark so I didn't walk as long as I should have. I had on the wrong shoes for walking on the gravel in the dark. Sounds like a good excuse.

Thin - Hey, at least your mom is listening to you. Our mom is so bullheaded - does what she wants and is so rebellious. Geez, she's like a teenager. How did the doc visit go? I love having the DVR which reminds me, I have two weeks of Biggest Loser to watch and last weeks Lost.

Lilion - Good job on having those flex points left. The sales in Columbia are at the Boone County Fairgrounds. Since it was raining, we did come the back way (50 highway to 63 in Jeff City then north). Wow, the trees were gorgeous in your neck of the woods. I just love the change in the trees in the fall.

Sounds like dinner is ready. to all!
Old 10-23-2006, 10:05 PM   #11  
Vortex

S/C/G: 330/see ticker/???

Hi gang... Things are crazy again lately. The latest is that my best friends are so angry with me that I guess they're never going to forgive me. It took me two months to find out what I'd done, and now one of them won't even let me apologize. Sigh. This may sound trivial, but since my separation, and then the suicide of a loved one, I've been kind of counting on friendship. I don't expect to have a partner or children ever, but I had these good, good friends... and now I've forfeited that. And the worst part is that we're in this little "crowd" in which I've always been the spare wheel, because the rest are all couples. So life in this little town is starting to look pretty lonely... and maybe like someplace I no longer want to stay, after working 6 years for tenure.

But I am down 1 whole pound. Whippee.

ThinThinker - .5
Terri
Karen - 5.2
Valerie
Mother
Lilion
Angela -1
Old 10-23-2006, 10:07 PM   #12  
aka Valerie

S/C/G: 350/345/195

Um... Is the 2x2 over already??? OK, I haven't been speaking to my scale the last 3-4 days, but I'll check in with it tomorrow. Between it's recent habit of zipping up 3-4 pounds the morning of every official WI, the stress of having Bill around for most of the last week, TOM fast approaching... OK, those are my lame excuses, but the truth is... The truth is that I've lost my way a bit since that stinking popcorn ball last Thursday. Today is the first day I haven't had a cookie. And when I say "A cookie", I mean that I actually have been baking one cookie each day. The first day it was only about 3 inches across, but it's been growing each day. The first night it was followed by two (large) bowls of Chex cereal. Somewhere in the middle of the Chex I realized I was binging for the first time in recent memory. It wasn't a huge binge, but it was out of control, and that makes it a binge.

Gosh, I hate admitting this, even to myself. This will for sure stall my weight loss this week, and I can kiss goodbye to the possibility of losing 20 pounds on the 6-week challenge. I can't sit here acting all innocent when I've fallen off the wagon again... the same wagon I've fallen off before, and the same wagon others fall off of. I'm angry with myself, but I somehow feel like I owe you guys an apology, too. I know that's silly and that you understand what happened, but when I post something in a moment of strength, and then lose that strength somehow, somewhere, I just feel like suddenly I'm some kind of fraud or liar.

I'm getting back on my TM tonight. I made a promise to someone that I would, and I'll do it. Gosh, for two whole days I've done NOTHING AT ALL! I was on such a fantastic roll. WHY did I do this? Why did I let myself down? For a FREAKING POPCORN BALL!!!

TERRI - I went to a lousy little horse/pony sale recently and I know the prices were outragiously low, but I expected much better at a breed sale like the one you took Peso to! Heavens, I'd have brought her home too!!! At least she's had an outing and your DB seems to be having fun with her. It's all good for her in the long run.

I had a first with Gabriel last night. I've had a girl just up on him to sit for a few seconds about 4-5 times, but he's always been nervous about it. I really hadn't put enough ground work in to him, but we've done more if it lately. In fact, he's getting downright lazy on the lungeline. I've even had him over by the mounting block a little, and leaned on him myself. Last night there was a heck of a wind blowing, whipping leaves around and it frequently brought a cloud of smoke from the wood furnace down across the arena. But when we put her up on his back, he was more interested in licking my hands, even when she started shifting her weight around. We took a step, then another, and were shortly leading him all over, stepping over logs, etc. He acted like he'd been doing it forever. I think it will all be downhill from here. I just needed to put enough time in to him!

MOTHER - The more I hear about TOPS the more interested I am. I'll have to look around and see what I can find in my area.

LILION - Um... I don't think you're the only one in for an embarrassing WI. I believe I'll just join you tomorrow, if ya don't mind. Don'tcha just hate it when this happens? Your still WAY ahead of me. I just wanna be where you already are, if that's at all comforting. Success for both of us is inevitable. It's just a matter of time! Inevitable. I like that word. Say it a few times fast. It's even easy to spell. (Don't tell me if I spelled it wrong, it's already been a long week... and it's only Monday.)

OOOOOOooooo! Speaking of a long week - I had another (final) driving lesson today. The guy was bored silly - he kept saying "You can DO this, this and this. What is it you want to work on???" I did really well, anyway, and tomorrow I'll be able to call about that driving job I want. And the REALLY good news is that I'm really getting excited about DOing it! I'm looking forward to driving again!!! Now THAT's really cool!

THIN - I'm glad to hear that 'FLICKA' is good. As a horsey person, it's a must see. I think we're going tomorrow night. As for the 'shopping' thing, I think I've had enough. My life is just so chaotic right now, and that last car dealership COST me money. They didn't do what I brought the car in for, charged me more than the reimbursement & pay combined, and tried to get me to have a $400 procedure done instead... OOPS! The price went up again. Make that $700 when they actually put the estimate in writing! And then they charged me $33.28 for doing NOTHING *NO THING* to my car! Needless to say, they didn't go over the bill or do several of the things they were supposed to. I hope the jerk doesn't sit down for a week when that report goes through!!! But more than likely he'll get a raise for trying so hard to rip off a customer.

Holy Smoke! KAREN, you lost enough weight for me AND you! CONGRATS on an EXCELLENT 2x2 WI!!! I loved your little bookworm study guy! Very cute!

BARB - All quiet on the Texan front, huh? Be sure to let us know when the fireworks start again!

I gotta tell you, there are lots of wonderful dogs in the world, but NO dog has a cuter tushy than my little Simon when he's strutting away from me! What an adorable waddle-butt!!! I guess I better follow it to the front door and take him out for a twinkle.

Last edited by NoLifeWithoutHorses; 10-23-2006 at 10:20 PM.
Old 10-24-2006, 07:39 AM   #13  
Hang In There

Well, it didn't last long!!! Got to work yesterday and the "other girl" in my office (there are 3 of us, me, friend/boss and the other girl) turned in her resigniation and gave her 7-day notice. 10/31 will be her last day. The really bad news it the person who will take her place. She is really obnoxious and is a hibitual liar and a bragger and (according to her) totally perfect. I seriously don't know if I can stand being in a small cosed space with her for day on end. But she wants the job, she has seniority and she will be much easier to train than going outside to bring in someone new. And we KNOW her and what to expect and if we went outside, no telling what we would get.

Well, I looked at the TOPS site and checked out where there are meeting I could work into my scheudle. None perfect, but a couple that might work. Then I signed up for them to send me info in the mail. I'll let you know what I decide.

Last edited by ageoldie; 10-24-2006 at 08:10 AM.
Old 10-24-2006, 01:40 PM   #14  

Smile

Good Afternoon Ladies!

Karen: WTG!

Thin: Hope mom is doing okay! Sounds like you have the right idea switching doctors!

Terri: You do NOT suck! If you suck with 1 lb gain what do I do with the 4??? Fact is that one could be anything...since it appears my four was...it's slowly moving back down the scale since last Wed. and I think I may end up with a good WI again tomorrow. Glad you got in a good, quiet night! Hmmm, maybe brother's are good for something? You practically drove by my HOUSE! Well, that's an exaggeration, but you weren't more than five minutes away! Funny you said how nice the leaves are...there was actually a news story recently about how poor they are this year.

Angela: All I can do is give you a cyber hug! I feel so badly for you right now. I've had friendships fall apart that never quite got back together again and know how bad that hurts. I'm sure that it will get better! Hang in there!

Valerie: I can't say that I have your problem with carbs/sugar...but I understand falling off the wagon! And I agree, as long as we keep getting back on track, success is inevitable. I like that word too! That and unthinkable...like failure is unthinkable! We'll get on track and stay on track. So here's a and a and away we go again!

Barbara: I hope you find the TOPS group that is right for you. I don't know a thing about them, but I have heard nice things.

Mother: Weighing yourself at all is a big victory in my opinion!

2Cute, Mary, Celery, Ruth!

Well all, I'm a worried dog mom today. My little Mac is favoring his hindquarters. I'm not sure when it started. He's been sitting cocked for a few months...it's heck to get him to do a square sit. Then he got to where he wanted picked up instead of jumping up in my lap. Now he's stumbling when he goes up stairs...it's like his back half doesn't want to follow the front. I'm so worried. Boston's tend toward knee problems and they've been known to have hip problems, although not as bad as big dogs. We don't have pet insurance! I just don't know what to do!

I've stayed OP all week and I'm hoping that +4 will be a -4 tomorrow at WI. I can't imagine what made me gain 4 lbs in two weeks...hang on for three or four days...then start dropping off. Don't really care either so long as it drops!

Unfortunately, I'm probably going over a tad tonight. I promised my friend I'd do pie and coffee with her tonight! We've been trying to get together for months now...I couldn't very well say "No, I have to cancel because tomorrow is WI." So if it hurts the WI I'll live with it. Heck, it's not like I'll have gained more!

Got to run... to all!
Old 10-24-2006, 02:24 PM   #15  
aka Valerie

S/C/G: 350/345/195

WI on the 2x2: I guess I have a net loss of 3, which actually cheers me up quite a bit. I started at 275 and as of this morning it was 272. It sat right at 270 for so many days and then POOF, went up to 273, just as I was SURE it was going to give me those 260's. I guess even back down that one pound is better than what I've feared. I missed 3 consecutive days of exercise since it went up - Boo-Hiss! WHILE I was eating cookies. I don't think I did really, REALLY bad overall, since I wasn't eating that much total, but I don't really know... cuz I stopped journaling at the same time. DOUBLE Boo-Hiss!!

Today I'm designing my own log sheet, as opposed to using the Curves one. They have each meal laid out, but mine will have a section for fruits & veggies, meats, dairy and ...a-hem, 'other'. Then I'll total it, also keeping track of total calories, protein, fat, fiber, carbs, as well as vitamins & water intake and exercise output. That SOUNDS laborous, but I've been doing it for the last month. It keeps me from losing track, keeps my mind thinking positively towards what more I can do for myself and how well I've done each day, and I'm actually pretty interested in seeing my daily results. At least I can't fool myself into believing I've been good when I haven't... Not that I'd EVER do THAT, of course! When I stop journaling (and compulsively scale watching) it's because I know I'm doing things wrong. Guilt - it's a powerful tool... usually used by the powers of Fat, to keep us under it's spell.

To keep my enthusiam up, I'm looking into TOPS, which it turns out there are bunches of local meetings nearby. I'm also considering a move to the local Fitness Center, which has better hours than Curves including Sundays, has far more diversity in equipment, including a track, pool and trainers available, and it costs the same amount of money. I feel like a traitor because I've loved it there and the folks just couldn't be sweeter to me, but I'm ready for more of a challenge and more diversity. Know what I mean, Jelly-bean?

LILION, I had a similar sudden 3 pound gain that gradually slides back off. Mine seems to come and go a little quicker, but maybe that's because I stare at my scale so much. I have no doubt that your scale will self-adjust appropriately, and those few unfair pounds will disappear again. As you said, you've been really OP, and you're just doing so great overall. I hope every one of them is gone tomorrow!!

Dear hens, I hope your Tuesday is the best it can possibly be, and I hope it's OP!
Closed Thread