Old 10-23-2006, 09:24 PM   #1  

Height: 5'8.5"

Red face Set myself up with a tough one....

Okay I am being brave and sharing this here. And note I am not suggesting anyone else should do this; it's just been a goal of mine for a long time that I haven't been brave enough to give up.

I am really trying to cut out chemicals and junk... several years ago I quit artificial sweeteners except tried to convince myself Splenda was at least a bit "better" but deep down I don't believe that, and have been doing research to confirm it. I use it in my latte syrups and that is sooooooo hard to give up! But I used to make them -- when I could not buy the syrups -- with extracts and low fat milk. So now I am trying that again.

Of course I use the flavored coffees and they are probably doused in chemicals too. But I'm not going there yet LOL... one thing at a time!!! Hope I can keep it up. I haven't thrown out my syrups yet LOL.

I hope I can do this!
Misti in Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 11:11 PM   #2  
Each step gets me closer

S/C/G: 307/289/150

Height: 5'10

You can do it Misti! You are a very strong woman. Look how much you have changed your life already. Way to go!
nonamesleft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 11:25 PM   #3  
aka Valerie

S/C/G: 350/345/195

MISTI, as soon as I can find my "Fat Flush" book, I'll let you know what the sweetener is that she recommends. She expressly forbids use of sugars and all the fake, chemical sweeteners like Splenda, etc. RATS! I can't find the thing! KAREN (aka CantForgetThis) has the book, too, I think. Maybe she'll post it for you. GOOD LUCK! I'm in constant awe of your commitment and progress!
NoLifeWithoutHorses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 11:31 PM   #4  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

have you tried Stevia? If you are interested in giving up all chemical sweeteners, this might be a next step...you can buy it in healthfood stores.

This site (I've never tried their products, but just did a quickie google search on flavored stevia syrups) has liquid stevia in flavors like vanilla, apricot, etc.

Yes, its still a sweetener...but if your concern is chemicals, not training your palate to like less sweet things, it might be a great alternative for you since it is an herbal rather than synthetically made product.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 11:39 PM   #5  
aka Valerie

S/C/G: 350/345/195

YES! STEVIA!! That's it! That's the "only sweetener I will allow" according to the author of "The Fat Flush". - THanks, Mandalinn!
NoLifeWithoutHorses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 07:15 AM   #6  

Thanks! Yes I have heard a lot about Stevia but never researched it or tried it! I have never seen the coffee syrups with it though.

And yes, it is the chemicals I am avoiding partly but other artificial things also... there are some health concerns with stevia too but I don't think as much as with the others. And it is apparently made from a natural plant. I will have to check into how it is processed.

I am already trained not to eat sweet stuff... haven't touched any of it since January except the coffee syrups and yogurt. Thanks for the link... that looks interesting and I will check it out more when it is not 4 AM LOL and I am rushing to get ready for work.

Last edited by Misti in Seattle; 10-24-2006 at 07:22 AM.
Old 10-24-2006, 09:05 AM   #7  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I've given up artificial sweeteners for quite a few months and I'm pretty happy about it. It is a shame though that a lot more things aren't made unsweetened. I'd really enjoy an unsweetened gum

You can do it Misti
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 09:42 AM   #8  

oh Misti you break my heart i just started making Koolaid with Splenda and it is so good
toofatforu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 02:50 PM   #9  

Patti, you sound like me. I totally love Splenda and, lets be honest, all artifical sweetners. I just don't think about how bad they are for me. (Heck, I still use Sweet & Low 1/2 the time!) Better living thru chemistry is my motto!

Misti, notwithstanding what I just said - I totally applaud anyone giving up artifical additives in their food. (Was that a lawyer statement or what?) I know it's the best way to go...I just think I'm gonna work on one thing at a time! I may have to stop by the natural food store soon though and see if I can find that stevia stuff.
Lilion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 02:52 PM   #10  
I can do anything!

S/C/G: 267/Ticker/150 & BAMF

Height: 5'9.5"

Stevia is AWESOME! They have flavored Stevia syrups at the health food store (or did when I lived in Hawaii) and I used them in my coffee... all it took was a few drops. Really yummy!
ValRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 02:59 PM   #11  
Mel

You could also try agave syrup (available at health food stores). It tastes a bit like honey and is made from the juice of the agave cactus. The glycemic index is VERY LOW. I used agave and stevia only for about 3 years until I added splenda because the research I've done shows no adverse affects in the minute quantities I use. Stevia tastes like a tin can, to me. Agave is wonderful, but expensive.

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 07:57 PM   #12  

Thanks everybody, for the encouraging messages! Good for you Nelie... about 6 years ago I gave them all up except convinced myself Splenda was different, but it's not.

Mel, thanks for the info about the agave syrup... actually I don't WANT sugar; just flavorings for coffee. They don't MAKE them unsweetened, as far as I have been able to find. Also... this sounds terrible... but I don't like honey at all.

Anyway I have gone for two days with just vanilla in my coffee... I am all out of other extracts. I used to get orange, chocolate, almond and some others... they make good coffee.

And Patti... note I am NOT saying other people should give them up. This is a process and you are doing great so don't ever become discouraged by what someone else is doing different. I am surprising myself with how much of this stuff I am getting into.

Lilion, I agree... work on one thing at a time! I am still using flavored coffees and LOL I am sure they are flavored with the same old chemicals and stuff I am avoiding elsewhere. But I'll have to work on the syrups first. For now the coffee stays.

ValRock, yes... I can get dozens of kinds of syrups here flavored with several different artificial sweeteners. LOL I have more kinds of them than Starbucks!

Thanks again to everyone!! I appreciate all the input!
Old 10-25-2006, 08:57 AM   #13  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I think one of the things I like most about giving up sweeteners, artificial or otherwise is that you greatly limit your processed foods.

I still do eat a bit of dark chocolate regularly which has sugar in it but it is one indulgence I can deal with.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 10:53 AM   #14  

Congratulations on your new goal of eliminating chemicals. I gave up Nutrisweet because it gave me headaches. Oh, how I miss my diet decaf Pepsi. But, the headaches cut way back when I stopped. My neurologist told me to give it up, so I did and I noticed a big difference.

I also stopped using Splenda. It made my skin itch. I have no idea if any research backs that up, but I stopped and the itching stopped. I tried it again, and the itching was back. I stopped and it stopped, so I'm just going to avoid it.

So, now I use sweet & low in my coffee. It's the only time I use it. I drink 2 cups of coffee a day. It's 4 packets of s&l, and my neurologist said it's far less dangerous than those old tests claimed.

I've been meaning to try stevia, but I haven't made the trip to the health food store.

I'm interested in hearing what you think about it when you try it.

Congrats again,
Christine
4MeNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 11:19 AM   #15  
Chained, Chainge, Change

S/C/G: 379.5/314/185

Height: 5'8"

All this info is really "food for thought" for me. I am trying to not eat sweet stuff and have given in a number of times. I like yogurt but the run of the mill stuff at the stores is chock full 'O' sugars. I will have to get to the health food store and see what they have.
ToniLight is offline   Reply With Quote