Old 09-24-2006, 11:58 PM   #1  
Vortex

S/C/G: 330/see ticker/???

Default One Week, One Habit (Week of Sept. 25)

Hey gang,

Last week I and a few others tried setting a one-week behavioral goal for ourselves. I'm going to try the same again this week... please feel free to join in.

So last week my goal was to exercise at least 10 minutes each day and (embarrassing to admit) simply to take all my diabetes meds each day (one of them causes tummy troubles, so I tend to be a bit lax about taking it). I managed that, so this week I'm going to try a new goal, this time with three parts: (a) 12 or more minutes of exercise each day; (b) take all my meds each day (lol, I'm not sure it's a habit yet... I'll drop it out when I am) and (c) eat a healthy breakfast each day (oatmeal's my usual healthy breakfast, but just about anything is better than poptarts out of the vending machine at work, which is what happens when I don't get up early enough).

Who's with me???
Vortex_VVV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 03:44 PM   #2  
Amy

S/C/G: 443/306/175

Height: 5'7"

I'm with you!! My goal this week is to stay on plan all week, including the weekend! I seem to have troubles on the weekend when my day isnt so structured. Also, to excercise 5 times this week. Let's do it!
VioletSwerve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 11:32 PM   #3  
Vortex

Hi Amy! Hope Monday went great.... what can we do to make the weekend easier???

Making my three little goals for Monday was a stretch, but I made it by the skin of my teeth.... ate half a bowl of oatmeal on my way out the door this morning, got 13 minutes of exercise in, and took my meds.

One day down, six to go!

Have a great Tuesday everyone.
Old 09-26-2006, 05:16 AM   #4  
Learning to love myself.

Height: 5' 7"

Even though I'm pretty good with healthy eating being a habit now, I still have to work on keeping the fluids up. This week isn't going to be a good week for me to join in this thread, but I wanted to let you know that if it continues next week I'll be in there aiming to get more drinks in. This week, with the procedure happening tomorrow, ALL I am doing is drinking, but I am also going to the bathroom constantly, so I am actually a little dehydrated. Doesn't really make a lot of sense, but there you go.

Good luck with your goals. As they become more of a habit the weekends truly won't cause you any problems. I don't treat the weekends that much different to the weekdays, except that I do different exercise, as I have more time. I usually go for nice long walks with hubby. I also sometimes have something a little different for my morning snacks, but that is just to add a little variety to my week. Other than that, I don't 'splurge' in any way, so I don't notice much of a difference.

See you next week.

Zelma
ZedAus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 11:09 AM   #5  
Amy

Well, I did great yesterday! Stayed OP and went to Curves! Yeah!

Thanks for the insight on the staying OP on the weekends, Zelma!

Good job sticking to your goal yesterday, Angela!

Here goes day 2! So good so far!
Old 09-26-2006, 01:30 PM   #6  
aka Valerie

S/C/G: 350/345/195

BRAVO ladies! You're all off to a great head start, but I'd like to jump in and go along from here.

I'm doing better this week, as my "Challenge" program has me staying pretty much OP, but I want to get a second set of exercise in every day. Just a ten minute boost to my metabolism later in the day, since my a.m. workouts are really a problem right now. I'm not working right now like most of you are, so I have no excuse why I can't really optimize my time while I have it. Heaven knows this opportunity won't last forever (unless that winning lottery ticket lands in my lap this week - not holding my breath.)

SO, in addition to drinking all my water (I'm starting cup 5 for today) and taking all my vitamins, I want to add that 10 minute spin on the treadmill or what ever. I missed it Monday, but today is a new chance!
NoLifeWithoutHorses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 09:08 PM   #7  
Vortex

YAY Amy!

Glad to have you with us, Zelma--you're always such an inspiration.

Did you get your 10 minutes in, Valerie?

I've done 2 of my 3 tasks for the day but haven't exercised yet... so I'm off to do that right now.... I will NOT fall down on the job on only the 2nd day of the week.
Old 09-26-2006, 09:16 PM   #8  
aka Valerie

Yup, Angela - I DID IT! I'm chasng myself around the livingroom until I can pat myself on the back!

How 'bout you? Did you get that exercise done??
Old 09-26-2006, 09:57 PM   #9  
Vortex

Yup, just now... luckily it wasn't too cold, so I walked around the square, plus a couple blocks to make a whole 14 minutes.

Here, I'll pat your back and you pat mine... it's lots easier

2 days down this week, 5 to go... how's everyone else doing?
Old 09-26-2006, 10:23 PM   #10  
Amy

I met my goal for today! Stayed totally OP and hit Curves this evening!

I think this is really helping. Today I had such sinus pressure/headache that I was contemplating skipping Curves, but I remembered that I commited myself to do it. I didnt want to have to come here and say "Oh, I flubbed it all up on only the 2nd day".

Great idea, Vortex!
Old 09-26-2006, 11:14 PM   #11  
aka Valerie

Woo-HOOOO! Amy & Angela! WTG! You guys are certainly holding up your end of the alphabet - Zelma and I will cover our end! The rest of y'all - cover the middle!
Old 09-27-2006, 08:46 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 269+/266.2/190

Height: 5ft 2inches

I was a little confused and posted on last weeks thread. i am working on eating five servings of fruits and veggies everyday. I started out focusing on this at the beganing of the month and i am still struggling to get all the veggies in. So I like the idea of this thread. So far this week I have met my goal... My mother is coming to town tommorow and i tend to eat worse with others but I feel up for the challenge. I am planning a trip to the store to stock up on more taste veggies.
Ayanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 11:36 PM   #13  
Vortex

YAY Ayanna! Keep up the veggie eatin!

YAY Amy! WTG working out when you don't want to!

And how are YOU Valerie?

I didn't want to exercise either but it makes 10 days in a row, so I forced myself to get my big old 12 minutes in. And I did my other stuff, too... ate oatmeal before I left the house, took my meds.

So that's three days down for me, and I'm going to start my kickline again:

Old 09-28-2006, 09:23 AM   #14  
aka Valerie

Mornin' everyone! I didin't post last night cuz my nose is stuck to my TV on 'Loser' night. I did my extra minutes of aerobics right there in front of the tube. (It's great to be home alone so ya don't have to worry about looking silly!) So far I'm right on track for the week!

AYANA - You're so right about having a more difficult time controlling your food when others are around. Last night I needed to feed an 8 year old on the spur of the moment. That worked out because I could give her speghetti while I had some of my prepared foods. But today my in-laws are coming for lunch. I opted for them eating here so that I wouldn't have to face a restaurant menu... especially since my MIL's favorite place is Ponderosa - a buffet. She's diabetic and shouldn't eat that way either. Problem remains that my very dear niece will probably bring some criminal desert over. My DN is packing on weight like crazy since leaving high school and she knows it to SOME extent, but she isn't ready to deal with it yet. She just won't back off the ice cream etc. every day that she used to burn off when she was playing volleyball & HS sports. I don't think you mentioned how long your mom will be visiting, but I know I'm glad I only have to worry about one meal with non-dieters!

Angela, Good job on the breakfast and meds! I've been really good about taking my vitamins twice a day like I'm supposed to, except for the one that I have to keep in the fridge. I've forgotten that one several times. Have to work on that.
Old 09-29-2006, 12:23 AM   #15  
Vortex

What time do you take that vitamin in the fridge, Valerie? (Hey, does anyone ever call you Val? My best friend growing up was Valerie, so I always want to call you Val.)

I gotta say, setting these tiny goals and really committing to making them is teaching me how much I need to improve my discipline and commitment. I really almost gave up today, having had a 7-minute walk earlier and not feeling like doing JUST 5 MINUTES MORE. But I said, how lame is THAT and do I really want to have to post it tomorrow? So I walked 5 minutes more, but it makes me wonder how I'm going to get the discipline to exercise much, much more as well as watch my eating much more closely... for the rest of my life... For right now, though, I'm just going to keep plugging at these tiny little goals and hope I can do a tiny bit more next week.

So, four days down, all goals met. Whew!

Ayana, Amy, how was Thursday for you two?