Closed Thread

Old 09-23-2006, 11:50 PM   #1  
Michigan Old-Timer

Default 300+ And Ready To Try Again...#1015

WELCOME

We are a group of individuals who weigh or have weighed 300+, or near there. This group was formed to provide a place for others like us to find support and hope. We are aware of the distinct problems that come with weighing over 300 lbs.

We want to invite everyone to join us in our journey.
We share laughter and tears.
We share what works for us and what doesn't.
We often use a "Topic of the Day" for discussion.

Motivational Monday
Tuesday Tips
Wednesday Wish List .. and What you are doing to obtain it.
Thankful Thursday
FUN Friday ... don't wait until you lose your weight.
Sit-up Saturdays - any physical activity
Share your Success Sunday

These are not required topics ...just ideas to share. We often find them very helpful. We also share heartaches and fears ... joys and celebrations.

We have several extra threads going on simutaneously such as Monthly Challenges, Weekly Weigh-ins, Recipes, Bios, and more. Please feel free to check them all out.

We have found this thread to be more than just a support group...
we have found it to become a home. We invite you to join us.

WELCOME!

I know you'll all agree that we are really thankful for the free services here at 3FC. The sisters offer all of this support and information with no charges to us. There are a couple of ways though that we can help out.

If you are thinking about buying anything at Amazon, why not help out 3FC at the same time? You can do this by clicking on the button for the Amazon "store" in the upper right hand corner of the screen on the PURPLE tool bar. A portion of your purchase price will be given to 3FC by Amazon. It doesn't increase your price at all, but it does help out 3FC. You can use any of the Amazon.com links that you see on the site in order to help contribute to the site.

Also, BTW, in case you didn't know it, you can view the message boards "ad free" for a minimal charge. I think it's like $15 for 6 months. A very small investment to be rid of the annoying ads and make your pages load quicker.

There have been some concerns expressed by the powers that be about copyright infringement. So please, if you are directly quoting someone else or printing an article in whole or in part, please give credit where credit is due!!!!
Old 09-23-2006, 11:52 PM   #2  
Michigan Old-Timer

Just thought I would pop in and give you guys the head's up:
Tomorrow I'm headed to Fashion Bug. They got in some nice "hoodies" and they're running a storewide 40% off sale. I don't know if it's all over the country but if you gals need some new duds for Fall, and there's a Fashion Bug near you, you might just want to give them a call and see if it's on in your neck of the woods
Old 09-24-2006, 12:01 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

Misti -- Regarding not being the fattest one, it gets better! I am rarely the fattest one anymore! I'm still kind of surprised by that. Frankly, I still haven't figured myself out at this size, and am learning new things all the time.

For instance, tonight I discovered something previously unbeknownst to me: Manufacturers carry specific lines of SPORTSWEAR designed for WOMEN! Shirts, and shorts and nifty sweatpants that snug whole lot closer than men's stuff.

Apparently, they fit me now! I bought several items on clearance, because I don't want to invest in things I won't like... but shorts that "wick away" moisture...kind of cool!

I think I'm going to try NOT to borrow hubby's sweatpants any more!

Edited to add: Ladies, I looked at myself in the mirror tonight and I cried. And for the first time ever, I cried NOT because I hated what I saw, but because I looked liked I belonged in those clothes. I might even go so far as to say I looked good in them. Wow.

Last edited by Heather; 09-24-2006 at 12:30 AM.
Old 09-24-2006, 01:05 AM   #4  
Ironman in Training

S/C/G: 302/205/150

Height: 5'5

Hi guys... sorta new here. Been doing this for 4 months now and I'm just about 40 down so far which is right on track for me. I alternate cardio and strength 6days a week and basically track calories on MFD (myfooddiary) and I'm looking forward to this being the last time I do this (although I know it's a lifelong change!)

I hope Its okay I post here even though I'm a bit of a lightweigh for the 300+ I started out at 301 and am down to 263 now...
Old 09-24-2006, 05:19 AM   #5  

Hey everyone~

Ammi~I wasn't able to reply yesterday. But you asked a thread or two back why I moved to Barrow, Alaska. My husband works for the national weather service. It was a good career move. And now we are looking at possibly moving to Tulsa, OK. I am originally from Louisiana. So I will be a little closer to home...at least not 4500 miles from home! lol

Melissa~I saw your pics. You are looking great! I can't wait to fit into my size 24 jeans. Congrats on that NSV you are doing great!

Idealmuse~ Congrats on the 40 pounds lost! WTG!

Well this is a slow weekend for me. Husband is working this wekeend on day shift. I am really having a hard time getting back into the swing of things with weight loss. My eating has still been ok. But it has been really hard getting back into regular excercise. But I think I am realizing its more of a mental struggle than physical. Its almost like part of me is fighting losing this weight. Its like something is telling me oh don't worry about it or keep delaying it. I am not crazy! But the best way to describe its like I am almost sabotaging my own self! I guess in a way it scares me. The putting it off mindset is what has allowed me to hit 300 plus pounds and stay that way for 3 years! I know you all have proably felt like this at some time or another. But how to get over the mental roller coaster of losing weight? Some days I am doing well and then some days I could care less if I lose weight. Ok I am officially rambling! I guess I just needed to vent. lol

Well I hope you all are having a good weekend!

Michelle
Old 09-24-2006, 06:20 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 300+/275/150

Height: 5'8"

Michelle, I have those days OFTEN, particularly around TOM, if you don't want to exercise promise yourself you'll do just 5 minutes & if you hate it you'll stop. I find that once I'm actually off my bottom & moving I always carry on & as long as you stay On Plan foodwise a day or two off formal exercise won't kill you.xxxxx
Heather, I am SO pleased for you, I'm still stuck in men's jogpants most of the time & as I exercise at home I don't care if I look scruffy. As you're now going to a POSH gym, lol, you may as well look the part in nice LADIES sportswear! As for the crying, it was a GOOD CRY, and I'm happy for you that you are feeling slim now as well as looking it!xxxxx
I had my two bad days Saturday & Friday but now I'm OP and will exercise tomorrow as well as doing all that walking to & from nursery. My cold has almost gone and I feel better, apart from a sore head & throat. So now I'm raring to go!
Ammi, I bet tomorrow is the day you weigh LESS THAN ME!!!!!!! I'm sad (for me) BUT GLAD FOR YOU!!!! xxxxx
Well I forgot what else I was going to say but I hope everyone has a great day.
Misti, yes I know what you mean about not being the fattest person anymore. I also feel so sad when I see young or old people who are so big they struggle to walk, I want to tell them there is help and support out there but they'd think I was crazy, a religious fanatic or slap me! It is so sad to see young people who are damaging their bodies and not enjoying their youth to the full. I know you are not being unkind about the size of others, but do you want to tell them how big you were & that they could get healthy like you?xxxx
xxxsharon
Old 09-24-2006, 06:27 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 300+/275/150

Height: 5'8"

Idealmuse, you are welcome here, Zelma & some others STARTED at 300lbs but are now NORMAL SIZED, lol, so feel free to join in. What plan are you following?xxxx
Vilandra, your pics are lovely, I really like the cami in the first pic of you and I agree you look great in the second one (not that you don't look good in all of them!!!). Just think how good you'll look a few more pounds down!xxxxx
gotta go now & do housework, AGAIN, sob....lol
xxxxsharon
Old 09-24-2006, 07:15 AM   #8  

Sharon~Thanks for the encouragement! I guess I was just having one of those few days!

Well I just did my weigh in and I must be doing something right because I have lost another pound! YAY! I am so happy because I had been stuck in the 330's forever! I really need to fix my ticker because my starting weight was 340. So I am off to update my ticker. Nothing like losing a pound to make you feel better! And if can just kick my butt into working out more I am sure I would lose a lot more!

michelle
Old 09-24-2006, 08:49 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 329/tracker/168

Height: 5'6"

That picture is of a figurine called Piggin Computers, and that was exactly how I felt half an hour ago, after spending one and a half hours typing replies to everybody! I know I can lose posts so all the way I copied, copied, copied. THEN when I went to preview my post, Internet Explorer went whappy, everything froze and I had to restart my PC. Losing everything! So you can imagine I was not amused. I went and did a work out on my Rider and thankfully NOW I have calmed down But I am really sorry, I just cannot face typing all my loooooooong post again. So to those with NSVs or SVs I say for those teetering on falling off the wagon, please don't, you owe it to yourselves to be strong and to everybody else

I am going to go now, I have to get some lunch, plus I don't want too write to much in case this daft PC throws a wobbly again Bye for now,

Hugs,

Ammi
Old 09-24-2006, 08:57 AM   #10  

Idealmuse -- Oh my yes, you are welcome! This is absolutely the place for you! Sounds like you have a great exercise plan in place and a good attitude about this being for life! I encourage you (and EVERYONE!) to join our 300+ exercise thread. It started because I really don't like to exercise and started keeping track of the minutes I exercise each month. Another member (our lovely Valerie, NoLifeWithoutHorses) asked if she could join me, and *bingo* our exercise thread was born!

We set individual goals of minutes of exercise each month and then record our exercise on the thread -- it REALLY helps my accountability. What may be even more fun is that we track our exercise as a group too -- so far this year we have done well over 100,000 minutes of exercise. I wonder if 200K is a stretch??

Anyway, if you think you'd like some exercise accountability (even though you've got a great plan), please join us -- the thread is stickied at the top of the 300+ forum page!
Old 09-24-2006, 09:10 AM   #11  
trying again!

S/C/G: 417/323/185

Height: 5'6"

Hey there everyone!
I got to sleep in this morning, BLISS! No hubby and one lazy dog

Thought I would pop on b4 breakfast and I have been here for over an hour *L* Going to clean out my basement today...yuck! And going to try to go to aquafit this evening. other than that, there is absolutely nothing new *L*

Zelma~ Well I don't think it was work that made me so sore. It was the 2hrs at the pool that started this mess. I told hubby that even my "fat" hurt. I am better now but I work PT at a plus-size clothing store and when it is busy, you basically run backa nd forth from the fitting rooms, to the cash register and run for different sizes etc. Congrats on getting another interview. And a paying one? How nice for you!

Misti~ I know how you feel about noticing others. I do it now too and it is hard not to esp at water aerobics when we are all "out there"

Idealmuse~

Heather~ Its great that you found some clothes that actually help you see your new body. I think its awesome and you should feel so proud!

Big Hi to Ammi, Lilion, Val, Melissa, Mechelle, Kenya, Amy, Nancy, Jilly, and everyone else!!!

Food is calling my name.....
Brenda
Old 09-24-2006, 09:10 AM   #12  

Height: 5'8.5"

Good morning, everyone!!

Heather, that is wonderful that it is sinking in for you that you are not fat and look great in women's clothes! Yippee for you. It is hopeful for me too because I am now wearing men's "Small" pants and they are getting really baggy on me. Where to go from here? But my problem with women's is they are all so huge in the butt and thighs, and I am so skinny there. But someone did give me a couple pair of zip up pants quite a while ago (women's) and they actually FIT me, wow! It's been years since I could zip anything over my stomach!

Thinthinker, thanks for the tip about Fashion Bug. We do have one here but their stuff always runs way too short for me. However, I looked at their website and there IS a huge 40% off ad so it must be nationwide.

Idealmuse, of course you are welcome! Congratulations on your weight loss so far! And hey, I wasn't quite at 300 when I started here but joined in anyway because this was the nicest bunch of supporters I found in the forum!

Michelle, hang in there! I think your struggles are normal. And you DO care or you would not be working this hard at it. A lot of times I have to convince myself that exercise still counts even if I don't WANT to do it and am grumpy about it. Keep going!!!

Sharon, I know what you mean about wishing you could encourage others who are so fat to do something about it! Even though I am happy about not being the fattest, it isn't in a sense of being "glad" they are so fat. I honestly wish I could go up to people and tell them about 3FC and encourage them to join in. I'm glad I am doing it but I wish THEY could also! I am not sure if I mentioned... but I was chatting with one skinny woman at the pool and she said she had lost 200 pounds (!!!) by eating right and doing water aerobics!

Hey, my 3D weight loss support group at church starts this week on Tuesday evening. It is based on First Place BUT I was told by the leader that some of them do the program and some don't. I mentioned to her that I would like to have a group but I don't want a diet program and bunches of food logging and other paperwork to do and I want to stick with my own eating plan... so I've never been able to find a group. She laughed and said not to worry about it as some of them do the plan and some don't and "you won't get kicked out of the group if you don't do it." They just get together, encourage each other, pray for one another, and share tips and ideas and stuff. In fact it was kind of a compliment... I didn't really know this woman until she came up and complimented me on how much weight I have lost! We were talking and she invited me to the group. And she said maybe I can be of help to others and share how I am doing it! I am excited about it! Have no idea how many people have signed up.

LOL three people posted while I was writing this. So good morning to you too! LOL Ammi sorry you lost your long post. Don't you just HATE that? I try to do long ones in Notepad first and cut and paste. And Brenda, that is neat working in a plus-size clothing store. Do you get a big discount? You get to find all the neat stuff first. But hey, keep this up and you won't be able to SHOP there!

BTW I did find out that the bra I like so much... FINALLY found a comfortable one that fits nicely... is made by Catherine's and since I am wearing the smallest band size they carry I won't be able to get any more like it in the next size down. I can't even get a second one in THIS size, as they are all out of them. So I am getting by with one nice one I like and my old ones as "backup" as sometimes I have to wash the thing LOL.

Blessings to all!!! Happy Sunday!

Last edited by Misti in Seattle; 09-24-2006 at 09:17 AM.
Old 09-24-2006, 09:11 AM   #13  

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechell81
But it has been really hard getting back into regular excercise. But I think I am realizing its more of a mental struggle than physical. Its almost like part of me is fighting losing this weight. Its like something is telling me oh don't worry about it or keep delaying it. I am not crazy! But the best way to describe its like I am almost sabotaging my own self! I guess in a way it scares me. The putting it off mindset is what has allowed me to hit 300 plus pounds and stay that way for 3 years! I know you all have proably felt like this at some time or another. But how to get over the mental roller coaster of losing weight?
Michelle -- Oh yes, you are right about this being a mental struggle. The longer I go, the more I believe this to be true. I think only now, after losing over 100 pounds, am I even starting to believe I CAN do this! Isn't that insane!

I spent years resigned to the fact that I WOULD be fat -- and a big part of why is because I kept denying the problems I was creating for myself by being so fat. I also didn't think I could be successful at it; so that denial was very helpful in a way. If you don't think you can do something, deny it's a problem, and then you don't have to do anything!

I think humans are really really good at this. Ever know anyone who had symptoms of some disorder who refused to see the doctor because he or she didn't "want to know"? I think this mindset is common. You're not crazy, but in very good company.

So, 64 MILLION dollar question is the one you asked above: how do you change it?? Sharon's right in that some days we seem to have the motivation more than others... I don't know that I have a real answer for you, except to say that perhaps it's not about motivation and believing you can do it, maybe it's about commitment to a process.

Motivation and desire to do this will come and go. But the decision to DO it, to see eating well (most of the time) and exercise (most of the time) as something you do because you HAVE to. Like paying the bills. I think the problem is that when we don’t pay the rent or mortgage, the negative consequences are rather swift in coming, but not eating well and gaining weight … those consequences can be YEARS out!

So, all this to say, I’m starting to think that motivation is fleeting, and that I am committed to doing these things. As I think about it, I did commit, but never got to the point, UNTIL NOW! Where I even started to believe I, Heather, could do it. I am more surprised than anyone that I lost 100 pounds!

So, what about those days when you just don’t wanna? Sometimes you’re going to fall “off the wagon” As soon as you can, you have to pick yourself back up again (don’t give up!). And you have to try to figure out WHY you went off plan in the first place, so it doesn’t happen again. Don't see these times as failures, but as learning experiences!

Okay, I’m going to stop now, before I lose this post!
Old 09-24-2006, 09:23 AM   #14  

Sharon -- As I look at your ticker I am seeing that you've lost about 50 pounds! More? That is fantastic!! Ammi may catch up to you, but don't forget your own progress!

Ammi -- What a PAIN about losing that post! You did inspire me to do my personals more one at a time, just in case... and I actually do them more and more in Word these days, so when I zap a post, I can get them back (thank you undo function). Sadly, it sounds like your problem would not have been solved by using word.

But but but, how great is it that you used your gazelle to work off that frustration, rather than heading to the kitchen! I am really proud of you!!!!!

Brenda -- I know what you mean about "popping in" here and spending more than an hour... I am at risk of that, too! But I am determined to get to the gym (AGAIN!) this morning. Hubby and I are going to swim again! bliss! well, provided my problem shoulder doesn't keep acting up.

Misti -- Amazing how people have such different body shapes. It looks like I *may* be shaping up to have an hourglass figure... I'm a bit bigger on the top than bottom, but definitely still curvey everywhere. And there's no way I could fit in men's smalls.... MAYBE mediums, I haven't tried!

Your new "3D group" (love that phrase!) sounds like it has promise! Let us know how it goes!!
Old 09-24-2006, 09:25 AM   #15  

Height: 5'8.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyllenn View Post
I don't know that I have a real answer for you, except to say that perhaps it's not about motivation and believing you can do it, maybe it's about commitment to a process.

Motivation and desire to do this will come and go. But the decision to DO it, to see eating well (most of the time) and exercise (most of the time) as something you do because you HAVE to. Like paying the bills. I think the problem is that when we don’t pay the rent or mortgage, the negative consequences are rather swift in coming, but not eating well and gaining weight … those consequences can be YEARS out!

So, all this to say, I’m starting to think that motivation is fleeting, and that I am committed to doing these things.
Exactly, exactly, exactly! And it depends on our definition of motivation. If we are looking for a feeling, our feelings are SO fickle and come and go! I agree with you completely. There are a LOT of times I am exercising with a bad attitude and thinking this isn't going to help! But I remind myself that my body is going to respond to the workout even if my mind is rebelling.

Heather, you are so right... we sure are all built differently. Yesterday at the pool my friend who went with me said she had also noticed that there were a lot of people there fatter than I was... but seeing me in my swim shorts she also commented on how skinny my legs are. They really are, so I love it when I can wear leggings or shorts, etc. and draw the attention away from all this weight on TOP. I see photos of a lot of you and when some even still weigh quite a bit more than I do I think how come I look fatter than they do? But that is because mine is not spread out LOL but all right there in the middle!!!

Oh and I should add... hanging in my closet and which I still wear to grunge around... are several pair of men's XL sports pants!!! Woo hooooooo they are huge.
Closed Thread