Closed Thread

Old 08-23-2006, 08:39 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 278/267.2/180

Height: 5'7"

Default Old Hens - 40+ and Ready to Lose...volume #87

This thread is a sub-set of the 300+ thread.

This group is for those dealing with the challenges of having a significant amount of weight to lose and being fit which becomes harder after age 40. If you're an old or new friend and not over 40 and feel this is the place to post, jump right in.

Welcome!
Old 08-23-2006, 08:59 PM   #2  

Hey ladies,

The weekend was pretty busy and not much eventful happening.

Spent Saturday down at mom's. All four of us kids were there plus four of the grandkids. We made progress but there is still so much to be done. We've decided to try to get a trash dumpster brought out. We need to throw away so much stuff. Why does she have so much crap? Stuff that should have been thrown away years ago. Very sad to see how my mother has been living and when did it get so bad and where was I? I might have said this before but I'm both embarrassed and horrified by the condition of the house (cleanliness). I also have periods of just being angry that she let it get so bad. One of her sisters tried to tell me that we kids should go easy on her and not stress her out too much nor be too hard on her about getting rid of stuff. I explained to my aunt (in not so nice tones) that had mother been taking better care of herself and the place, then we wouldn't need to be doing this now. If she'd have done what we asked after dad passed away, then it wouldn't be the disaster it is now. To her defense, she has not been feeling well for the last year. But that doesn't inspire her to take better care of her health. She eats stuff that is bad for her diabetes and her weight. The nuclear stress test is tomorrow.

The original buyer has now decided that he can't get a loan to buy the place. So she made an appointment with a realtor for today and the house is now on the market. Fortunately, my BIL is also a real estate agent so he was there to participate and give mom advice. So we're still on with the move.

We looked at the rolltop desk and its beautiful. We agreed to take it. But then last night, I measured the door to the bedroom that will be my office. The door is too narrow however they have figured out how to get it apart so that it will work. I told them I don't want to take it until Labor Day weekend. Give me time to get the room straightened up.

Allergies are a little better. I do think some of it is due to the work down at mom's - all kinds of dust, dirt and crud.

I saw my first black widow spider on Saturday. The guys working in the shop area in dad's stuff were not impressed. She was big and looked to have babies. Pretty for a spider.

I have actually been working with horses this week. Stuff I should have been doing all summer but the between moving and the heat, just didn't happen. But I have been working with Peso (yearling). Last night was round pen work that was a good workout for me since it was her first session. Then it was a lesson that she can stand and be brushed. Tonight was more of the same. I cleaned her feet and brushed her good tonight and she did excellent at just standing there. Just needs some TLC and consistent attention. And it was wonderful to be able to do that for 20 minutes and then be done AND BE AT HOME!

Lilion - for all the trauma you're going through with DH's change in jobs. While its difficult on you all, how is he liking it? You asked about the oatmeal. I buy Bob's Red Mill steel cut oats. I can't find it at the W-M Super Centers though but do find it at Price Chopper if you have one in Jeff City. I bring water to a boil and then add the oats. I turn it on the lowest setting and let it cook while getting ready - about 20 minutes or so. Cook it for a shorter time for a chewier oat. I've seen others mention that they cook it in the crockpot overnight. Seemed a bit much for oatmeal to me but slow cooking makes it better for the cholesterol benefits. But I see that you tried that again and didn't work. I bought some instant whole grain oatmeal at W-M that I haven't tried yet. Hope its not the same thing as yours! on your loss. Great job!

Siena - Welcome back and good for you for recognizing excuses and doing something about it. Think in terms of healthy eating and healthy way of life - not dieting! My body doesn't like the junk food for long either.
That might be a good sign!

Valerie - Good to see you checking in. I am so glad that DH is being more considerate. Sometimes they need a bat upside the head to get the point.
Drive safe!

Barb.G - well, drama might as well be a enough reason to be excited about going to work. Keep us posted! What a bummer that you didn't get to meet Valerie. for your SIL.

Harkeystarkey - I wondered that too about the stevia plant. Thanks for the good wishes. Some days it is hard to keep up with everyone which is good that our thread moves a little slower than the other one!

Angela - I love seeing your pic. Helps to have the face with the name. Yes, depression can be the reason your body is craving the sleep. That and stress from the financial situation. How many classes are you teaching this fall? Have you gotten your checking account back? Hope so! I read that Deadwood was recently cancelled so I'm betting that the last show isn't a wrap-up show that ends the series. I love the show but hate the language.

Ruth - for your mom. Keep us posted on how she's doing. Prayers for her and that its not malignant. Take care of yourself too.

Karen - I liked your list. Congrat for getting noticed even if you don't want the attention! Do share about the stevia plant.

Celery - Great that you are back in school and that you really like the classes. Study hard! And what a great bonus that you'll be getting in that extra exercise having to walk.

Thin - Keep us posted on your FIL. I hope it isn't anything serious. on getting your groove back and the scale being kind to you. That is great that you found a doc you like. DH (also diabetic) has been having good success with Byetta which is a diabetic med that has the side effect of curbing your appetite. He started at 261 and is currently at 224. The doc is thrilled. Hope your mom gets some relief soon.

I started this at work a few days ago and emailed it home. I figured tonight I better get it finished off and posted before you think I have abandoned you.

to everyone! Hopefully I have got replies done for the last thread and didn't miss anyone.
Old 08-23-2006, 09:54 PM   #3  

Evening Ladies!

Well, tonight I had a bridal shower to go to. I STINK at staying OP in social situations. I'm not sure how many chips, guacamole, nuts and little burrito things I ate. Well, actually, I do know the burrito things - 3. I'm giving myself 10 points...making myself 11 into my flex for the week. Hopefully I'll be better the rest of the week!

Terri I'm so glad to hear from you! I was wondering about you. Don't feel too badly about your mom and the house. The kids can't take over their parents lives, and sometimes when they get older folks just stop doing some of the things that they should...including housework. I'm glad to hear there's a relator in the family. Should help move things along.

Thin...Keep us advised on the FIL. Hope all is well.

Must run. Time to get the kidling to bed!
Old 08-23-2006, 10:48 PM   #4  
Michigan Old-Timer

Hi all!

FIL is fine. It was a panic attack. Now we have to try and trouble shoot what to do with him. Any thoughts of any proceedures bring these attacks on. BIL and us were talking about Zanex. SIL has some sort of fast acting tranquilizer that she carries with her for her panick attacks. We think maybe that might be the answer. With him being in the early 80's we feel we better figure something out as proceedures and hospital stays may come along more often at this age than they ever did and we're really up the creek.

Terri: [[[HUGS]]] honey! I have seen my immaculate housekeeper mom go to junk all over the condo mom over these last years. Since my dad was first in the nursing home. She figures she lives alone and no one comes to visit anyway so what's the point. She's gone most of the time during the day and just comes home to crash at night. When we see her it's usually by taking her out or over to our house. She's a paperholic, which is probably where I get it from so there will be tons of crap to get rid of when the time comes. *I hope the stress test goes well. Honey's is on Friday. *One of the mods is on Byetta. It's injected, isn't it??? But not insulin??? Guess I don't know much.

Lilion: Seems like you did ok at the shower to me. You had flex points to deal with a so? you used some. It's all good. I'm still impressed by your baked goods NSV today.

Going to bed. I'm up early to have breakfast with a school librarian friend of mine in the morning before she has to go back to work next week. Then off to pick up mom for her "fun" Dr. appointment. See ya later. Love ya bunches!
Old 08-23-2006, 11:25 PM   #5  
Beam me up Scotty!

S/C/G: 310/218/140

Height: 5'6"

Good evening chickies!

Yeah!! A great day at school! I got my schedule juggled around just the way I needed and I love my instructors. No problems with food. I got a great little insulated caddy for $6 (at the Big Lots no less ) that has 3 separate compartments for everything in about 8"h x 4" Easy to carry.

Terri, you are so funny! I made a MAJOR post on stevia in the last thread. By the way, have you ever heard of freecycle.com? There are a lot of people that would love nothing more than to come and claim your "junk". No expense for anyone. They live for that stuff, i've used them a lot out here. Soooo easy!

Lilion, Whoo, hoooo! Way to go on the loss! You can stay STRONG!

Thin, I know how your FIL feels, if that is what it is. Any time I even have to get a blood test or shot, I go into panic mode, cold sweats, shaking, light headedness. I can't even hear people talk about certain things. One time I went to the dr and told the nurse she was going to have to lay me down. I told her I would pass out. She thought she was going to "get me through this", patted me on the back and proceded to put me in a chair. As soon as the rubber thingy went on my arm I was OUT! I woke up to the dr chewing her out "SHE TOLD YOU SHE NEEDED TO LAY DOWN!" Live and learn...but seriously, maybe he had a panic attack. My ex had to go to emergency because he thought he was having a heart attack. The dr said it was panic.

Celery, that makes two happy students!

to 2cute and and Valerie!

Prayers for BarbW

to everyone else!

Have a good night.
Old 08-23-2006, 11:58 PM   #6  
Beam me up Scotty!

Oh, gee Thin, missed your post! Glad it was just panic!
Old 08-24-2006, 07:05 AM   #7  

Karen -

I read that post but just blanked out the Stevia part.

Thin - So glad to hear that it was just panic and that FIL is okay.

I have to be at work early today so I won't linger long here. Besides that my battery light is flashing so the laptop will be shutting down soon.

Its HUMP day! Make it a great day!
Old 08-24-2006, 08:36 AM   #8  
Michigan Old-Timer

Top 'o the mornin', ladies! Well, ok, I guess for some of you this isn't really the "top", but you get the drift!

All is well at our house, for the moment. Just thought I'd check in before any more drama has a chance to develop.

I'm off to breakfast here in a minute but I'm telling you I'm very happy with the scale this morning. Nope, not going to give you a hint. Monday is the "official" day and everything in-between is usually up and downs, mostly downs lately! So I'm just wishin' and hopin' and we'll see if it holds.

Terri: Get that laptop plugged in so it will be good to go when you get home.

Karen: Glad all the classes have worked out for you. I love it when you can tweak a schedule just right. That lunch bag sounds perfect!

Talk later. Love ya bunches.
Old 08-24-2006, 10:45 AM   #9  

Celery's Rapid Weight-Loss Guide (tm)

1. When re-entering college at the age of 54, be sure and pick a sprawling campus on rolling hills. Try to take a diversity of courses so no two classes are in the same building. Make sure the parking lot is on the other side of a steep ravine.

2. Take a LOT of classes and be sure to to choose courses with several heavy textbooks each plus lots of ancillary materials.

3. See if you can arrange your schedule so all your classes are one right after the other so there's no time to snack or eat lunch.

4. Be sure you pick courses with fascinating instructors so you don't notice that you are hungry.

5. Choose courses with so much homework that you have little time to eat. (Don't snack while you're doing your homework!)

6. Be sure your course load is so heavy and the homework is so arduous that you fall into bed exhausted every night, too tired to eat.

7. In class be sure to notice all the size 5 students fresh out of high school for inspiration should you happen to find a few free minutes to eat something.

Old 08-24-2006, 12:24 PM   #10  
Beam me up Scotty!

Good morning everyone!

Celery, OMG!! Sooo true! But i'm still fighting to keep my routine as a priority. I HAVE to do this!

Off to the library!
Old 08-24-2006, 02:09 PM   #11  

Talking Ahhhh - THIS is summer!

Good Afternoon Ladies!

And a lovely day it is in Mid-Missouri! 87 degrees with a little breeze...makes you want to be a smoker so you can waste the work day in front of the building! I did the park-n-walk thing again. And I forgot my parking tickets I had to pay so I did a round-trip to the car over lunch! So far that's 6/10 x 3 - what is that, like 1 4/5 miles? And I have another 6/10 to go to get back to the car this afternoon...Gee-I'll do more than two miles that way today.

Somehow, I still don't think I'll get as much walking in as Siena and Karen!

I have nothing new to report. Having a good OP day so far. Cereal for breakfast, Subway for lunch and grapes for a snack right now...that'll be 13.5 pts. Of course, I do still have 3 pts of trail mix...but I think I'll hold off on them until I see what DH is cooking for dinner. Don't want to go into my flex again! DH is HOME TODAY! He works this weekend but I get a full evening of his company - which is great!

Well, I used all my lunch on the trek to the car and the ticket paying...so I best get to work! Love to all my lovely ladies!
Old 08-24-2006, 05:52 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 273/248.5/160

Height: 5 Ft. 6 In.

Celery: I would love to go back to college. I'm 57 and need a new direction in life. Sounds like you get a pretty good work out each day.

Karen: Thanks for the Stevia post. I'll have to check to see if I can get it online. I live in the boonies and not much chance of getting it here.

Lilion: I'll take your summer verses my summer. Here in Arkansas it is too HOT. We had a little rain yesterday and now it's a steam bath.

For all those I missed: I can't keep up with all these threads and all the great ladies who are posting. I always feel one step behind and two to the left. I wish you all well and I'm doing pretty good. I'm down another pound today. I need to drink more water, but I'm working on that.
Norma
Old 08-24-2006, 07:47 PM   #13  
Michigan Old-Timer

Hello all! Just checking in.

Norma: Don't worry about not keeping up, it will come. We don't "expect" replies, honest! *We have old neighbors that moved to Fayetteville. Is that anywhere near you?

Lilion: "I forgot my parking tickets I had to pay " Geez, don't you know a judge or something that could take care of those???

Karen: Keep fighting, sweetie!

Celery: Very cute! Great list!

Where's everyone else??? Oh heck, I know where everyone else is.....not here! Hope the rest of ya'll will check in soon.
Old 08-24-2006, 09:26 PM   #14  

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinthinker View Post
"I forgot my parking tickets I had to pay " Geez, don't you know a judge or something that could take care of those???
Actually, no! Being an administrative judge instead of a "judge" judge, puts me at a distinct disadvantage in these circumstances!
Old 08-24-2006, 10:30 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 273/248.5/160

Height: 5 Ft. 6 In.

Thin: Fayetteville is about 3 hours from me. It's in a very beautiful part of the state. We go up there when we take our fall drive to see the changing of the leaves.

Lilion: What is an administrative judge? I was a police officer for 10 years and I only saw those in criminal court or traffic court.
What I wouldn't give to get back to what I weighed as a police officer. Alas, that seems eons ago.
Norma
Closed Thread