Old 06-30-2006, 03:27 PM   #1  
aka Valerie

S/C/G: 350/345/195

Default Hypnosis / Hypnotherapy ... Tried it?

I don't think I've ever started a new thread before, but hey, it's "Science Friday."

I just recently started considering hypnosis and wondered if anyone had any input on it. Have you tried it for weight loss? To quit smoking? Anything else? It's a little scary because of the notion of giving up control while I'm under. Is that really an issue? Does it work?
NoLifeWithoutHorses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 07:12 PM   #2  
Because I deserve it!

S/C/G: 315.4/311/165

Height: 5'11"

I've never tried real live hypnosis but I did buy some weightloss hypnosis CD's from DWLZ. I don't think I've ever actually become hypnotized by them but I do enjoy them because they help me to end the day with positive thoughts in my mind. I try to listen to them every night before I go to sleep.
Xena2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 07:31 PM   #3  
Working it out...

Height: 5"8

Oh, I LOVE "Science Friday" - I've got the biggest crush on Ira! <grin> I love nerds.

A while back I bought a used book called "The Thin Book." All this book has are self-hypnosis weight-loss scripts you can use to record your own sessions. The book also came with a cassette tape containing four of the scripts in the book, read by the author. When I first started losing weight, I'd listen to them as I fell asleep. The "emotional overeating" one is very good for me. I find them very helpful - when I listen to them!

The catch is that I DO NOT OWN a tape player. I know, it's silly, but at the end of last year I transfered my very few remaining cassette tapes to my laptop and then gave away my old and cheap walkman. I tried recording the self-hypnosis tape, but the quality was so poor, the transfer to my laptop was unsuccessful. I have been meaning to record some of the scripts digitally so that I can burn a CD to play with my alarm-clock/CD player but I have not made the time to do that yet. Me thinks it's time.

:-)
ThisGirlsLosing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 07:37 PM   #4  
Working it out...

Height: 5"8

Oh yeah, and as far as "real hypnosis" goes, my therapist uses it on me sometimes...not to lose weight or anything like that, but to allow the vulnerable part of me to express itself regarding my emotional eating and such things. It works like a charm! :-)

I would say, do some research online as to modalities (as there are many) and what makes a "reputable" hypnotherapist...and then, interview, interview, interview. I usually check with three different people when I'm looking for a service provider of any kind - dentist, doctor, therapist, electrolysis, etc. If the person is not willing to give me at least 30 minutes of their time to answer my questions, then they are not really interested in satisfying my needs as their client, so keep looking.

Good luck! :-)
ThisGirlsLosing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 07:49 PM   #5  
On stabilization

Height: 5'5

I tried it for weight loss at a stop-smoking seminar about 6 years ago. It was pretty trippy, the whole group hypnosis thing, but this is how it worked for me:

Before we were put under, we had a questionairre to fill out - things like, who's your hero, what's the worst thing you can think of to put in your mouth, etc...

We were put under and one of the powers of suggestion was that everytime I wanted something on "no-no" list such as cookies, cake, ice cream, fried chicken, etc... then I would feel like it had changed in my mind to my cue- i.e. the worst thing I could put in my mouth. Since I had recently seen an episode of Fear Factor, my cue was rotten fish guts. It did work for me, for a time.... I love sugar cookies, but after 1, I got an aweful fishy aftertaste.... I think it may have continued to work, but the post-hypnotic suggestion wore off or something. Maybe if I could have gone for multiple sessions, or reinforcement every 6 weeks or something....
hkychik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006, 11:05 AM   #6  
Hang In There

Many many many years ago I went to a hypnoist and it really really worked! The only problem was it was back when the low carb first came out and I spent all my time eating hot dogs (no buns) eggs, bacon and steak. Ended up in the hospital having fatty tumors removed from the site where my breast cancer had been, so my (real) doc said never to go back.

Now I know that that diet is not used anymore, and I've thought about going back to one, but the money factor has keep me away. I do have several weight loss CD's that IF I listen to regularly at night help keep me focused. What is DWLZ? and tell me about those tapes?

I'd like more feedback too.
ageoldie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006, 01:28 PM   #7  
Not Snoozing... Losing!

S/C/G: 295/288/285 MINI GOALS!

Height: 5'7"

The best program I have found is "Zen of Thin" -- When I use it I do feel better and find myself making better choices etc. If I stop using the sessions I do find myself slipping. I guess like anything its "use it or lose it." It was really easy to take the CDs and convert them to use on my Ipod and I think they really do work better if you use them with headphones.

You can get more info at wendi.com -- she has many programs and is a licensed clinical hypnotherapist so I really do trust her programs. She also offers a full year guarantee on her programs. (Please do not think I am advertising or anything, I am just speaking from personal experience after doing a lot of research.)

PS. When I take time to listen before bedtime I sleep like a baby! You will benefit from the anxiety reducing properties of hypnosis/meditation no matter what topic is chosen.

PPS. You never "give up control" while under hypnosis. There is always a part of your brain that is aware of what is going on. There is a lot of info about this on her website. Hypnosis can never make you do something you would not already be willing to do consiously (rob a bank, squak like a chicken, etc.)
cc9455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006, 02:34 PM   #8  
Bunnababy

S/C/G: 294/261/150

I think the key is to find someone reputable that you are comfortable with. I found someone through our state registry and she has been doing this in the Eugene area since 1985. I bought one of her sleep cd's also. I am finding the therapy helps with my fibromyalgia pain, and in general I feel more relaxed and more in control. I have gone to four weekly sessions and now cutting down to every two weeks for a while then once a month and then down to yearly or whenever I need a session. I am happy with this so far.

I do have to warn you though this is not a magic pill, you have to have a desire to lose weight. My therapist says that hyno therapy helps the subsconcious mind work with the concious mind. In other words, you know what is right but all those nasty voices in your sub sabotage what is right and now they are working together.

A lot of sound advice and I am going to check out the website too.

Good luck to you.
Bunnababy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006, 02:35 PM   #9  
Bunnababy

S/C/G: 294/261/150

Yuuuuuuuuck Lori, fish cookies.
Bunnababy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 03:34 AM   #10  
hopeful..

S/C/G: 350/350/160

Height: 5' 9"

Yuck...I lost post and had to retype it. Here goes:

I just bought a hypnotherapist recording during a sale at audible.com. It was half-price, and had such great reviews that I figured I'd take a chance. I've listened to it this past week and have had some positive results. I've started drinking more water, almost unconsciously reaching for it instead of coffee or soda. I've stopped eating snacks or picking up food on the way home from work, and I've been controlling my portion size. It's so weird-- eating differently/healthier has always been a very conscious effort for me.

I also feel more powerful/calm about food. I have never felt that way without actually being on a diet. Put differently, being on a diet is usually the only thing that can make me feel powerful and in control of my eating. Now, I'm feeling powerful and in control of my eating so I'm choosing to go on a diet. It's kind of the reason why I'm here (first post!).

It's weird. I've always been kind of skeptical about hypnosis, and I can't really tell what happens (I have never managed to stay awake past the ten minute mark), but at this point I don't really care if it's the hypnosis or me psyching myself out into thinking I've been hypnotised. I'll take it!
sexylittlebeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 06:07 PM   #11  
Hang In There

Hi I just read your post and wondered if you could give me the name of the tape you bought? I'd love to get it and use it myself. I have several and although they work okay, I have not found one I like as much as one I had years ago on tape. I'd appreciate the name of the tape.

Thanks, barbg/aka ageoldie
ageoldie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 10:47 PM   #12  
aka Valerie

S/C/G: 350/345/195

What great feedback - Thanks everyone for posting. I never really considered Wendi or any of the do-it-yourself tape programs because I thought they were hoohee, but it sounds like there's more to them than I believed. The one hypnotherapist I spoke with spent lots of time on the phone with me discussing it, and even said that one of the things they work towards is to teach you self-hypnosis, so the self-help tapes make more sense in that light. It sounds like a more doable prospect than it once did - now all I have to do is talk myself out of the cash...

Thanks again!
NoLifeWithoutHorses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 01:16 AM   #13  
hopeful..

S/C/G: 350/350/160

Height: 5' 9"

Hi-

I use the Glenn Harrold tapes. He has two: Lose Weight Now and and Ultimate Guide to Weight Loss. The one I've been using is Lose Weight Now, but I just got the Ultimate Guide to Weight Loss a few days ago, just to switch it around.

-Martha
sexylittlebeach is offline   Reply With Quote