Closed Thread

Old 05-19-2006, 10:24 AM   #1  
Returning Member

Default Constantly Cold & Tired Losing Weight?

Hi everyone,

Is anyone else experiencing feelings of extreme cold and fatigue on while losing weight? My hands and feet in particular are always freezing, and I could easily sleep 10 hours a day. This has been going on for the past couple of months and is only getting worse. I'm still able to exercise, but it's getting more exhausting, not easier.

I've been following the South Beach Diet for about four months and have lost about 50 lbs. I still have about 100 more to go, but it's been going pretty well so far, although my weight loss slowed down in the past couple of weeks.

I went to the doctor yesterday, and he's doing bloodwork, but he also suggested my problem could be from losing weight too fast and my body slowing my metabolism down. He suggested I eat more! Aaack! I know we don't count calories on SBD, but I figure I'm eating around 1600/day, plus I only exercise about 1/2 hour to an hour a day, so it's not like I'm starving. One of the things I like about SBD is that I get to eat every 2-3 hours, and I haven't been hungry!

I've lost weight at about this rate before, on WW, and experienced more energy, not less. I also do not remember feeling this cold. I do remember feeling constantly hungry on WW, which I am not on SBD. Is anyone else having this problem?

Thanks,
Kim

Started SBD 1/23/06
305/254/150
Old 05-19-2006, 10:48 AM   #2  
Counting down the pounds

S/C/G: 265/230 (RNY)/147/130

Although I lost my weight through WLS, I did experience the same trouble last year around Oct, Nov, and Dec. I had lost about 50 lbs by then, but I couldn't get warm no matter how I tried. The only thing that I have been doing differently from that period of time to the present is taking 2500 mcg of B-12 sublingual. I feel really incredible now (I think I'm almost 80 lbs lost now). I also exercise about 5-8 hours (average) of serious cardio, and strength training per week. The exercise really gets that blood moving. You said you do exercise - but do you sweat?

Good luck and I hope the tests help find out what is going on.

kitty
Old 05-19-2006, 10:51 AM   #3  
Returning Member

Thanks for the reply. I was wondering about people who lose through WLS - they often lose weight very quickly, and I was wondering if they encounter the same problem. So you take the B12 supplement now? Is that just an over the counter supplement?

I do sweat when I exercise, but not as much as I did a couple of months ago - it takes a lot more effort and a longer duration to build up a sweat now.
Old 05-19-2006, 04:15 PM   #4  
Sparkpeople=Waterchicklet

S/C/G: 349/306.7/150

Height: 5' 5.5"

Talking

Hi Kimmers. I've noticed that since I've started back watching what I eat that I get cold too. I'm normally hot all the time but now hubby has to argue with me to open a window.
Old 05-20-2006, 08:10 AM   #5  
Counting down the pounds

S/C/G: 265/230 (RNY)/147/130

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimmers
So you take the B12 supplement now? Is that just an over the counter supplement? .
Hi Kimmers,

Yes, I still take the B-12. It's also getting very hard to find in the pharmacies around town. I've been able to find it in Walgreens for about $9.00 a bottle and sometimes they go on sale, buy one get one free (total of 100 pills). I think there is also an infomercial about it as well but they want $30 a bottle.

I read your response to my husband (who has lost 100 lbs since January 1 on a liquid diet and who is going through the same cold spell) and he said you may want to change up on your exercise routine. The body is amazingly adaptive and will get used to the same thing over and over again, which is probably why you don't sweat as much anymore. I constantly switch my routine around - I spin, use the elliptical, treadmill, strength train, or work out with a giant swiss ball (I don't do these all in one day!) but I try to keep my body guessing.

Just some ideas - hope they help...

kitty
Old 05-24-2006, 03:04 PM   #6  
Returning Member

Thanks, everybody for the support and ideas. Most of my bloodwork has come back normal, which is good. I'm still waiting for a few additional results, but it looks like this is all just a side effect of losing weight. Maybe now that summer is finally coming to the great white north, things will get better.

I like the idea about changing my exercise routine - it sounds fun, too!
Closed Thread