Old 04-04-2006, 08:12 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 278/267.2/180

Height: 5'7"

Default Old Hens - 40+ And Ready To Lose - Volume 53

WELCOME !!!!!!

This thread is a sub-set of the 300+ thread.

This group is for those dealing with the challenges of having a significant amount of weight to lose and being fit which becomes harder after age 40. If you're an old or new friend and not over 40 and feel this is the place to post, jump right in.
Terri in MO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 08:27 AM   #2  

Good morning ladies,

Thought I'd start a new thread this morning.

A beautiful spring day is in store for today. Gotta love those days.

It was really nice last night to have time in the evening to do something. We made a trip to Richard's to pick up a load of stuff to take to storage and then I had time to work in the back yard. The chickweed is bursting out big time so I was spraying for weeds. The neighbor to the west does nothing to control it in his yard and it would like to take over my yard too.

I've got day two of vigorous dog walking under my belt. He wasn't nearly as energetic last night.

I read an interesting article yesterday. As you know, I have been lamenting the 12 pounds or so that I've gained rather quickly since last fall and how it all seems to be belly fat. The doctor called it the beginning of the menopause phase. She said stress could cause weight gain too. I was reading an article on "Walk off your Belly Fat". It talked about getting out and walking and really focusing during that time on calming your mind and reducing your stress level. It wasn't so much about a walking program but about calming the stress in your life because stress causes extra cortisone to circulate which leads to more fat. I told DH, if we think back over the past year this is what we've had going on: his deteriorating physical condition leading to ending his job on disability; his mother's health; his brother situation after the stroke and the family disagreement; his other brother ruining their mother's financial situation; his son taking our van and not returning it and ruining it while lying about it; a small business that I had to help with in addition to horses, house and my own job; ending that small business; dealing with a business partner; going without income for him for six months; my job being up and down over the sale of the company (or not); the barn situation becoming bad at Cheri's barn and having to relocate horses; having to relocate horses again this spring; trying to find a house; trying to sell a house; and finances. This kind of gives me a glimpse that I have been beating myself up over the wrong thing - not eating correctly or not enough exercise. No wonder I've gained.

Garnet - Enjoy that peaceful time. Good job on getting back to the gym. Keeping bugging dad and son! VCR's are too cheap to buy these days instead of repairing.

Leanne - Hope you're recovering from surgery and getting on the road to getting mended back up.

to everyone! I need to get moving. Time change is kicking my butt this morning.

Have a great OP day!
Old 04-04-2006, 09:31 AM   #3  
Hang In There

Yep Terri, this has been some year for several of us. If you will remember last April, I was concerned with gaining while going through this stressful year. And at that point I had not idea we would actually have to close our busisness, much less have to cope with losing my mother!!! And like you, nothing is really settled yet with my life, I still have lots of stressors left to go through. Add to that mix the "drama" that goes on at my office, and maybe I need to start walking with you!!! Actually when I drive by the park at the health club I think I really need to get out there and walk again, but just thinking about it has made me sit here and cry. Our morning walks were so important to my mother and me.

But I am once again on the downward side and still plugging along. But talking about the drama office, reminded me, my time is up and I have to get ready and gone. I'll check in again after work.
ageoldie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 06:54 PM   #4  

Hello everyone,

can't believe how long it's been since I had chance to get on here, our main PC is down at the moment so we are all fighting over the laptop, and guess what, I've been losing the fight every time.
Last time I read I didn't get time to post and I'm going to have to go back and catch up on everyones news so forgive me for not doing replies today but I wanted to say hello before it was too late again.

I got weighed on friday and only lost 1/2 lb! I was totally gutted as I had been so good I felt really bloated and surprise surprise Friday night my TOM arrived a week early. Hopefully that was the cause of the low loss, I'm not even changing the weight on my ticker until it's at least a full pound.
I've got an appointment with the dietician tomorrow so have been keeping a food journal to show her, I'm confident that I've been eating sensibly and healthily but it'll be good to hopefully have her confirm it and possibly give me some tips. I'll be sure to let you know anything I learn.

I'm on 8 hour shifts this week then 10 next week so should soon be back up to full hours. I started back at the same time as a girl who is back from maternity leave. She has been telling everyone her secret to losing her baby weight so I knew you'd all love to know, apparently it's really easy........

Breakfast - 1 cigarette
Mid-morning snack - 1 cigarette
Late morning snack - 1 cigarette
Lunch - 1 cigarette
Mid afternoon snack - 1 cigarette
Late afternoon snack - half bag of low fat 100cal crisps
Early evening snack - 1 cigarette
Supper - 1 slice of weight watchers bread with 2 spoonfulls of weight watchers baked beans

She does like to make sure she drinks plenty of water as well, apparently this is really important for a good healthy diet and losing weight!!!!!!

We are all so foolish thinking fresh fruit and vegetables were the way to go

Bye for now
LesleyUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 01:53 AM   #5  
Michigan Old-Timer

Hi everybody

I hate that I have no time for anything these days.

I'll be sitting at the hospital all day today....again. This time it's Di's husband. They're taking him in for a heart cath, but they have a surgeon standing by. His expectation is that he will be going through by-pass surgery again. He had quadruple by-pass done 6 years ago.

Prayers would be good right about now. Thanks girls. I hope to be back soon.
thinthinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 08:41 AM   #6  

Good morning ladies,

Wow, really quiet here yesterday.

Yesterday evening was yardwork night. I got the weedeater out and did that job. That was my strength building workout. Then had to help DH with the riding mower as it needs help. Actually needs to be replaced but we're waiting to see where we move and need then. I think we're going to have to sink some money into it now though. Then I played ball with the dumb dog. That was my resistance workout since we played tug-of-war. Geez, he's determined to win at that game all the time. He gets very intent and it is amazing how strong a grip he can get. But as intent as he is, he knows we're playing and that mama will clock him good if he misbehaves.

Not much else is new. Food was terrible yesterday. Started with carbs for breakfast, carbs for lunch (forgot my WW dinner and salad didn't look appealing) and major carbs for dinner (DH was too worn out from the mower to cook and pizza was the resul t). YACK! I feel heavy and bloated today. But I've got my steel cut oats in the bowl and ready to eat. Got my WW dinner out and will have a giant salad for dinner. Plus I will walk the dog tonight. Might even make time for a exercise video after work too.

to everyone. Have a great day!
Old 04-05-2006, 08:53 AM   #7  

I'm back.

Barbara - I meant to comment about your statement about missing your walks with your mom. I know its hard to go to where you used to go together - but think of doing those walks to honor what you used to do. Go walk for your mom. For that relationship. Use that time to talk to your mom just like you used to do.

Leslie - How many carbs in a cigarette? Since I loaded a card game on the laptop, I have to fight for computer time at night now.

Thin - Prayers for Di's husband today.

Okay, now I'm gone.
Old 04-05-2006, 09:40 AM   #8  
MTM

Hi Everyone!

It has been quiet the last few days, hasn't it? I had my WI yesterday and only down one stinkin' pound in a week. That is not good. I somehow have to conquer this night time eating habit I have...some nights it's just out of control, but I manage to stay under total calories for the day. Any suggestions? I'm really bummed, but more determined to try harder.

Terri~~Very interesting article that you talked about, and it makes sense, doesn't it? Your life does sound extraordinarily stressful right now, and I hope things are looking up for you, or will soon! I love this:
Quote:
will clock him good if he misbehaves
For some reason that just made me laugh!! Where do you buy your steel cut oats, and how do you fix them? I love oatmeal, but have stayed away from it for several months because of the carbs. I did buy some Bob's Red Mill Apple Cinnamon hot cereal that's really good for you. One serving has 21 carbs, but you do get a big bowlful of it and I find it very satisfying. Sounds like you have a good OP day!!

Barbara~~I lost my mom last year too, very unexpectedly, and I know how difficult it is to begin do things again that you used to do with her. Like Terri said, I just know that my mother would be proud of me for how I'm finally taking control of my life and for how far I've come in a year. That helps a lot, but I still miss her every single day. And that office of yours? Man, that wouldn't help anyone's stress level!!

Lesley~~Hi and welcome back! It's really a pain to have to share computers! I love that I have my own laptop, and I don't share it with anyone!! How do you go about getting a dietician to help you? I often think that would help me, but I still know my main problem is that night time eating. It's the , I swear.

The cigarette diet? Hmmmm, I don't think it'll work when she rejoins the real world, do you?? Good thing about the water though, you're right!!

Thin~~Hoping Di's husband comes through surgery with flying colors. You're a very good friend.

Everyone else~~MichelleK, Lilion, xenigal, 2cute, Patti, Leanne, Valerie, Garnet, Ruth~~I hope you're all well and miss reading your posts!!

I think once are crazy weather changes, we'll all be feeling better! We have snow on the ground again today...this has been a loooooooooooong winter!!

Have a good day everyone!!

Charlotte
MTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 10:41 AM   #9  

Height: 5' 7"

MTM - I have a suggestion for your nightime eating, one that's working pretty well for me right now - After dinner and cleaning up the kitchen, I brush my teeth and put on a whitening strip. Two things for myself at once, cause I can assure you that nothing is more unappealing than popcorn on top of tooth bleach!

Hi, ladies, my name is Sue, I've been lurking here for a while, but I just couldn't miss the opportunity to post.
When I'm not a work sometime, I'll introduce myself.
KristasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 02:12 PM   #10  
Dancing those pounds away

WELCOME Krista's mom.
I am looking forward to hearing more from you.

I am surprised the rest of you even remember me... I am here so seldom.
I am like a bad penny... I just keep showing up. LOL
I keep coming back to gain strength from all of you.
I am so grateful for EVERYONE here. The gabby ones, the quiet ones, ALL OF YOU.
2cute2Bfat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 02:45 PM   #11  
MTM

Sue!!

I don't really have a problem until I go to sleep, then get up to potty, then that drags me out to the kitchen for food. I'll have a bowl of cereal, 1/2 of a pb sand., yogurt, and I used to go for the sweets, but since my ddil and dd and I aren't eating them, that has ceased to be a problem (right now)! I'll tell ya', I'm seriously contemplating hypnosis, but don't know anyone that's ever had it, and hate to part with $60 if it doesn't help at all. Thanks for the tip though, and I'm glad to see you posting here! Come back when you have time.

2Cute~~Glad to see you back, and I know what you mean about gaining strength from this group of women. I do count on coming here several times a day for strength and support.

I'm at work, but wanted to welcome Sue, so I need to get back to it!!

Charlotte
MTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 03:43 PM   #12  

Hey everyone!

I'm really, really sorry! I meant to come on here at lunch and do a big post with lots of replies and I'm not even doing my usual post. My DH gave me a call right at noon and he's got this bug up his you-know-what about moving to WYOMING! It's a long story...but apparently the Dept. of Corrections there is head-hunting and they pay SO MUCH better than here! But...I'm the breadwinner here! My law license will transfer, upon application, character references, background checks etc...but what the heck would I do in Wyoming? Sure, if I couldn't find a job it's out...but it's kind of a scary proposition...moving to a new state, finding a new job, starting all over at my age. I don't know about this.

So anyway, I ended up spending the last 2 1/2 hours on the internet looking up stuff about Wyoming. So I really, really, have to work now!

My WI was 241.6 - up just a tad. Not enough to freak about. I have to go!

I promise to write more and reply to everybody!

(Stupid old husband )
Lilion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 05:52 PM   #13  

Default hi

just stopping in to say hi.. got all my exercise in as usual but it wasa tough day today... my legs didnt want to treadmill but i did it anyway!
toofatforu2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 09:56 PM   #14  
Hang In There

I did go walk this morning and I walked and cried. But at least I walked!!! Lillion, Wyoming? what made him come up with that idea? Nothing else much going on today. For this month they started a new program at church on Wednesdays. To try to get more people to attend on Wednesday nights, they have started having supper. For only 3.00 we had a full meal (no, not the healthiest, but awfully good) So I went from work to the church building and on the way heard the announcement that Gene Pitney died yesterday. They played a medley of his songs and ended up playing "Only Love can Break a Heat" so I ended up sitting in the car crying. I've done a lot of crying today. Oh well....
ageoldie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 08:59 AM   #15  

Good morning ladies,

Not much time as usual.

Lilion - Wow, what a decision to have to face. Where in Wyoming? My brother spent 2-1/2 years in Casper working and flying home every other weekend. Lots of wide open spaces but so close to mountains too. Lots of antelope.

Barb.G - Good for you for taking that walk! Our church does the dinners too but we never go.

Patti - Good job on the exercise!

Sue - Welcome to the group!

Charlotte, Leslie, Leanna, Ruth, Thin, 2Cute, Garnet, and everyone !!

Better scoot!

Have a good OP day!