Closed Thread

Old 01-23-2006, 12:52 PM   #16  
Michigan Old-Timer

Catherine, you look wonderful! You did a terrific job on your dress, it's lovely! Many, many happy years to both of you!
Old 01-23-2006, 02:08 PM   #17  

Default Hi..I'm new here...

Hello,

My name is Michelle....I recently posted my story on the support part of the forum. It was suggested that I look into getting involved in this support group. I am 24yrs...330...and its time for a change for sure. I am just looking for some support and a place to sort of be accountable...and may help me stay focused. I recently moved to Barrow, Alaska with my husband. Top of the world. lol In some ways its a good thing...we don't have many fast food places...but of course you can go buy things from the store and still eat junk. But I really feel like this is a good chance to change some things in my life. I can't do much outdoors...its currently -33 outside lol! But we will have some extra money soon to buy a treadmill. I have been 300-330 for about 2 years now. ITs really strange that I haven't gained more weight. Its like I have just stopped at this weight. Which I am thankful I have not gained more. But I have been saying since high school I wanted to lose weight..but all I have ever done was gain weight.I honestly in my whole life can not remember ever losing more than 20 pounds. I am hoping to actually change my life now. I am nervous..because I don't really have much support around here..and we are limted with any type of programs to help you lose weight..but you hear of people that lose weight all the time at home without any help. So, basically keeping fingers crossed that I can REALLY do something about this now. I am tired of saying...nah I will start tommorow. I need to start now! lol Thanks for letting me vent. Also, I am not quite sure I understand how this whole support thread works? Do you guys just have a thread you just update everyday or what? Please let me know how it works. Thanks guys...have a good day!

~also any tips/adivce you have feel free to share on how to get started...i would appreciate it! thank you!

Michelle
Old 01-23-2006, 02:36 PM   #18  

S/C/G: 412/TICKER/175

Height: 5'5

Hello and to the forum, Michelle. I'm sure you will be able to find ALL the support in the world here. We are all very friendly, and no one judges. It's fantastic! What plan are you going to be doing? If you hop onto 300+ and ready to try again (the thread), that's a great place to get started!!! Again, I welcome you!
Old 01-23-2006, 02:58 PM   #19  

Welcome Michelle! I know what you mean about finding it strange that you stopped gaining. I was at 314 for literally years. I used to say that my body had just reached a stage where it couldn't get any fatter! Of course, then it DID get fatter and THAT was when I started doing something about it! Good for you for making that choice! You will find a lot of great ladies here who will give you lots of support.

I suggest having a heart-to-heart with your husband first thing. He needs to understand that you need to do this, for your health and for you, and that he can't be hindering your efforts by having junk in the house. If he's overweight, get him to join you! That's even better!

As for joining in, just go to the highest numbered thread and hop right in! Introduce yourself, ask questions, give advice! Feel free to peek over at the "Old Hen's" thread too. Just because you aren't 40+ doesn't mean you can't learn something there too!

Most of all - Welcome and Good for You for doing something positive for your health!
Old 01-23-2006, 03:09 PM   #20  
Melting Mama

Catherine - what a beautiful dress!

kayleystar - I'm not built like what 350+ lbs should look like either. I'm only a 30/32 and I've known people who have been that size in the 200's! I wonder what that means - will I go down in sizes slower?

Wow, I'm almost down an entire point of BMI already- from 55.2 to 54.5.

I'm going to get hubby to set up the DDR (Dance Dance Revolution) pad for me right now while I'm thinking about it. I haven't done it in a few months and it's a lot of fun. We need more discs for variety, but now that I'm employed maybe we can get another one if we keep up with it. It's probably one of the major forms of exercise that my husband gets as well.
Old 01-23-2006, 03:26 PM   #21  

Hi everyone

My name is michelle. I am 24 yrs old and 330 at 5'4. I was hoping to be able to join in this support group. I really need this! And I hope it will help me stay focused. I have been overweight my whole life...and been at 330 for 2 years now. So, I am looking for encouragement, advice, and tips if you have any. Especially any tips on how I can get started. I feel a little overwhelmed...because I have actually never lost more than 20 pounds in my whole life. I honestly can't say I have yo yo dieted...or really given weight loss an honest chance. All I have done is just get bigger. So, that being said I hope to get to know some of you and come here and post often. I look forward to chatting with you guys...hope you have a good day.

michelle
Old 01-23-2006, 04:27 PM   #22  

S/C/G: 510/see tracker/160

Height: 5' 9 1/2"

Welcome Michelle: I think you will find encouragment and support here. I'm looking forward to this journey to health with you.

Good morning all. I couldn't sleep last night so I really slept in. I have a job interview tomorrow for an Administrative Assistant Position. I am very nervous about it.

Catherine: You look so wonderful. Beautiful gown. You and your hubby look so happy. I wish you so many years of wonderful happiness and when your first argument comes along, I hope you have a great time making up!

Blessings all,
Dogpal
Old 01-23-2006, 05:20 PM   #23  

S/C/G: 329/tracker/168

Height: 5'6"

Hello All,

Well what a day I have had. I only managed to do 15 minutes of my work out because Daren got home and the pains in his chest were worse. I rang the doctor and was told to take him to Casualty (ER) which I did. They kept him in for 7 hours, ran tests, kept him monitored and at the end of it all they said it's not a cardiac problem, and is undoubtedly a muscular one. They don't know why he had the pain, or is still having the pain, but they sent him home with pain killers and he just has to take it easy. It was such a worry, and so weird to be on the other side of the hospital bed instead of in it. I am just glad we are both home together now. Tomorrow when I have caught up on some missed sleep I want to catch up on my work out too.

Sharon (voodoo) - I am really happy to hear you are feeling much better today, although I am sorry that Steve has got the bug now. Fingers crossed that the boys don't get it too.

Thank you for asking how Daren is. The pain killers work well so he's not too bad now. It's frustrating to see him have so much pain and not to really know why!

well done on the 4lbs lost especially after being so unwell. You really are doing well with your weight loss. You are right that the exercise is really is paying off. You should be proud of yourself.

Luan - nope I didn't get to do all of my work out, but I intend to catch up on it tomorrow.

I think you hit the nail right on the head when you say that we all have to learn to stop being hard on ourselves when we go off our diet for whatever reason. The guilt that we feel makes us just want to eat even more, so yep, we have to forgive ourselves and move on.

Jill - I didn't know you were going to The Biggest Loser auditions. Well even if you don't hear from them again it was an experience. Were there a lot of really big people there, or some that just need about 50 lbs. I like to see the really big people lose all that weight. I don't know if I could lose it like they do, but I am happy that they manage it.

Catherine - thank you so much for sharing three of your wedding photos. Your dress is so beautiful, very medievil looking. I loved it, and I have to say although we didn't get a full view shot of you, you looked amazing. You don't look even 200 lbs, are you tall? You should be so proud of yourself losing as much weight as you have and looking so fantastic now. Do you have any before photos?? You look so happy in your wedding photos, just as it should be. Let's hope those smiles last forever!!

Kayley - oh sorry for misunderstanding about the DVD. When you do buy it, I hope you will love it and I look forward to hearing how great it is after you have given it a try.

Thank you for the good vibes, much appreciated.

That is brilliant news about your BMI being so reduced. You are obviously doing something right!! It's great to see the weight come off, but even more so to see yourself getting healthier!!

Michelle - hello and glad to see you posting here. I am 37 and start my diet at 329 lbs. I am following a WW diet and it works well for me. Just sticking to it long term is my biggest problem. One tip that I have to offer you is to not think of your long term goal. Make little goals, ones that are achievable. When you reach them you will feel fantastic and more able to look towards the next goal.

Jjmorta - congrats on getting close to losing one BMI point. I don't even know what mine is lol.

What is Dance Dance Revolution? It sounds fun, do tell all please.

Ok well time to cuddle up to my hubby. For once he is off his PC, so now I get him all to myself. Take care all and I shall return tomorrow. Bye for now,

Hugs,

Ammi
Old 01-23-2006, 05:46 PM   #24  
742,000 calories burned

S/C/G: 592/380/175

Height: 5'9"

I forgot who all asked me questions because my husband's computer doesn't like me. The older man walking me in is Austin's father. He served in the Gordon Highlanders and still wears his kilt and regimental tie. My father died 20 years ago, and his father said "standing in his stead is the least I can do for a fallen comrade." He's a retired professor of Medievel literature. He actually gave us a blessing in Anglo Saxon at the end. Austin served in the Canadian Artillery, and then served in Antarctica and received a U.S. Navy medal too. One is the Duke of Edinburgh medal, and one is the Queen's Golden Jubilee Medal. I'm pretty tall, 5"9," most of my aunts and female cousins are 6 feet tall. The doctor actually said if my weight had been more normal, I'd have been that tall too. I'm very bottom heavy, and have always weighed more than I look like because I have always been quite powerful. I was a pretty good shot putter in my time. Thanks to everyone for the compliments on my gown. Sewing is an area where I haven't conquered my perfectionism yet. I can get very mad when things don't turn out the right way. The golden veil is actually Mexican. It was given to me by my Godmother who is from Mexico. It is what they wear to church. I just thought is was beautiful, and made a headband by getting a plain white one from the craft store, and wrapping gold trim around it. Then I just hand stitched it into place. The gown is just a McCall's pattern in size 24. It is called Evening Elegance, and I had to add just a couple of inches to the pattern here and there. It was actually a pretty easy pattern, if a bit time consuming just because the peices are so long. The pattern also came with a pattern for a matching cape. Gold ones are traditional in Irish weddings, and can cost over a thousand dollars, and are handed down. It was enough of a dog and pony show without me showing up looking like little red riding hood's grandmother. I may make it later. One of the reasons I picked this pattern, is because I could wear the gown for other occasions. I'm such a tight wad that the idea of investing in a dress to wear only once grated on me terribly.

I wanted to welcome all the new chicks. I hope to be of more help in the near future. Today is the day I sit to finish my immigration paperwork. Once that is done, I will be more able to make individual replies. As motivation since this is friday, I saw a woman today on the train who was in the same type of wheelchair that I used to use. I wanted to just go up to her and offer my help. I didn't because I know that wouldn't have worked for me. Life standing up is so much easier. And for a chuckle, I drug himself into a produce market. I actually had to tell him the names of some of the vegetables. He had never had eggplant before and had no idea what fennel looked like. As I was describing the different squashes, and what they are used for he said, "my balls are actually tingling listening to you talk about cooking this stuff." The way to a man's heart is definitely through the stomach. He's already lost 5 pounds (it isn't fair how easily guys can lose weight), and is describing all the different things we will be able to do "together" when we both lose some more weight. Now that is motivation!
Old 01-23-2006, 06:19 PM   #25  
Nancy

S/C/G: 353/T/168

Height: 5'3"

GarnetFairy – That is one of the things that have always haunted me in my weight loss attempts. I can be doing great and then I have one bad day and can I feel like it’s all over. You have done a fantastic job! You have lost over 50 pounds. What’s one jar of peanut butter? It certainly doesn’t cancel out all of the hard work you have done. And what does you mom have to do with it anyway? Whatever happened was between you and that jar of peanut butter alone.

As far as exercise tapes go, I bought the Tae Bo ones but I am a ways away from being able to do those – there was too much standing on one foot and kicking for me at my current weight. I have the Leslee Sansone 1 mile walk which I really like and think I will get the 2 and 3 mile too, to mix it up. I have another one called Big on Fitness which is an older tape done by a plus size woman, which I like because I can do most of it most of the time. I have a set of bellydance videos with Veena and Neena which are also good because they are fairly low impact and easy to customize. The basic moves one is the best for me right now. I recently discovered that Netflix has workout videos and I just got one in – Yoga Dance: Fire – but I haven’t had a chance to use it yet because of my cold. I like more dance related workouts, rather than straight aerobics. There are several I really want to try, especially the Island Girl series and a Bhangra workout (I love Bollywood). I am eagerly awaiting the Woman Power workout from Fat Chance Bellydance and will let everyone know how it goes when I get it.

Sharon – It is just horrible to be ill. I have been down for the count for almost a week now with a nasty cold, but I don’t think there is anything worse than when you feel sick to your stomach.

Luan – Still, many people might have walked away and said it was someone else’s problem to take care of. That is really good of you to stick with your family and take care of them.

Jill – That is weird that they hardly gave you a chance. I guess they feel like they know what they are looking for. I definitely hope that next year you are too small for the show!

Catherine – You and your dress look gorgeous. The sleeves are especially nice with the sheer and the gold and the taper. Lovely! Everyone looks so happy – you must have had a wonderful time. Thanks so much for sharing the photos.

Michelle – Glad you found the 300+ section.

Dogpal – Good luck on the job interview tomorrow. Interviewing is never easy. My trick has been to try and just look at it like I am going to meet with and talk with an interesting person, and not get too nervous about it. Sometimes that works . . .

Ammi – That is such great news that Daren’s problem isn’t with his heart. You must be so relieved!

Well, I spent all of yesterday in bed hoping I would feel better this morning for the start of my audit. Well, of course I didn’t, and I was sitting on the couch this morning almost in tears feeling so trapped between taking care of myself and my job. Part of the problem is that my boyfriend’s car is in the shop so he has to drive me to work and leave me there, giving me no way to go home in the middle of the day if I started feeling worse. Anyway, I went in to the office, got the auditors started and left and went to the doctor. I got antibiotics and she is checking to see if I have strep. I am hoping the antibiotics will kick in quickly and I will feel better. After that I came home and slept until just a little while ago, and I am feeling a bit better already. I am happy that I found a solution. The audit will be over by the end of the week, I will feel better, and life will go back to normal – whatever that is.
Old 01-23-2006, 06:50 PM   #26  
Butterflyns_71

Hiya Chickies!!

My kitty is feeling better....Yayyyy!!! He was only like it for 1 day and that was enough. He slept all Saturday and was in bed when I went to bed and he was still there when I woke up on Sunday and then he was fine. I am not sure what happened to him but I am so happy that he is back to his bad-self LOL Anyone ever try the Richard Simmons Sweatin to the Oldies? I bid on 4 of them over the weekend on Ebay and won so I can't wait until I get them! I NEED TO EXERCISE!!! Dieting alone isn't doing it for me....I need to move my butt! Sorry this is just a quickie....But I have a friend and her daughter staying with me...she is leaving an abusive BF and moving away next week...but until she will be staying with me and the little girl loves playing games on the computer. I hope to catch up with everyone soon!

Muahhhhhh!
Old 01-23-2006, 07:48 PM   #27  

Red face

Hi, guys. I only have time for a quick note or two, but I had to stop by.

Catherine ~ You look lovely. The happiness of you, himself and himself's family really shows in everyone's faces. I love your dress. It is so beautiful. Maybe you could make the cape and wear the whole thing on your one-year anniversary or something. (How cool to have a professor of Medieval literature in your new family!)

Ammi ~ I know the tests came back OK, but I would still keep an eye on that for your husband. People can easily be misdiagnosed. Give him a baby aspirin every day (it will help prevent a lot of damage should he ever have a heart attack) and some regular aspirin to carry to chew in case he ever thinks it's the real thing. It will thin the blood and could save his life. (Like me, he needs to do something to reduce the stress or one day it will be a heart attack!)

Thanks to those who are praying for me and thinking of me. I really appreciate it.

Welcome, Michelle!

Gotta run. Sorry.
Old 01-23-2006, 08:18 PM   #28  

S/C/G: 412/TICKER/175

Height: 5'5

JJmoreta - It's the same thing here. I'm about a 30 top (at least at Fashion Bug), although I wear 2X regular t-shirts. And I'm now a 24 bottoms. I HATE being bigger on the top than on the bottom! I commend you in doing DDR! I tried once, and about passed out!

Dogpal - I wish you all the best of luck at your job interview! I'm sure you'll nab it!!

Ammi - I'm so glad that there's nothing "seriously" wrong with your hubby, and hopefully they'll figure out what the pain is from! That's gotta be scary!!

Catherine - That's what I always thought when I thought about a wedding dress. Why spend all that money, when you are only going to wear it ONCE? Good idea being able to re-use your lovely dress that you worked so hard on!

Butterflyns - Glad your kitty is feeling better. Lemme know how the "Sweatin' to the Oldies" is!

My class tonight was so extremely tedious! I'm so glad it's only about 5 or 8 weeks (I can't remember off the top of my head). I don't know how I would manage being in it for the ENTIRE semester!
Old 01-23-2006, 09:36 PM   #29  

Well, I survived the cyroblation procedure today for my occiptal neuralgia/chronic headaches. The most painful part was that you have to lay face down on this platform thingy that has a spot for your face (like a massage table) that angles your neck and head downward. Somehow I ended up pinching my boob and I could never seem to get comfortable no matter what I did- and that thing is not that wide, so it wasn't like I could move around too much at my current weight. It was real obvious why when I got up- my poor boob was smooshed right into the metal framework hinge thingy. Ironically I almost wore a padded bra, but changed my mind at the last minute...should of when with my first instinct Then I was cutting something with scissors this evening that was hard to cut, so I pulled the scissors in a little too close...and managed to pinch the same boob again

So far the procedure seems to be helping since I don't have a headache tonight like I usually do by this time. Its just weird that the back of my head is numb- and it will take a few weeks for all the feeling to come back. That, and the back of my head is really swollen from where they go in with the freezing wand and they also inject medication to help minimize pain....I'll be sleeping on an ice pack for the next few days. I have to lay off exercising for a few days- I'm not even taking a chance with using my exercise ball at my computer tonight...maybe tomorrow.

Dogpal- I understand the not being as socialable. For me, its a combination of my weight and my medical issues- I am working at getting out more, but it can be so hard at times. I really need to get out there and start dating again...I'm not getting any younger-lol

Kayley- I find myself 'collecting' internet recipes too. Its amazing how much time can pass just looking up a simple recipe....at least in my case, I get side tracked to other yummy sounding recipes so easily that I end up forgeting what I was looking for to start with. I've been having fun with my recipe software- AccuChef- it makes it easy to copy recipes into your 'cookbook' and all the nutritional info...especially if you substitute an ingrediant or something. On the exercise ball stuff- I have the resistance strap kit from WalMart that I put on my exercise ball (if I remember right, you're taller, aren't you?...if you are, make sure you get an exercise ball that is the correct height for you). I love having the reistance bands as another option with the ball- plus its nice to have the straps that go around the ball to attach them...its a lot easier to get the ball positioned correctly when I use it at my computer instead of a chair.

jjmoreta- You've taken the first step- you're aware of what you need to do. So many of us have had our head 'stuck in the stand' for so long to end up were we did- it takes time to get 'on the wagon', so to speak. Don't beat yourself up over what happened yesterday, just strive to do better today You mentioned about looking smaller then people expect for your weight too. What I found when I lost weight a few years ago was that I went down just as fast as everyone else. A lot depends on if you tone up as you lose too- I know when I regained, I wasn't in as good as shape (from being sick for so many years), and I couldn't wear the same clothes I had before at the same weights...too often they were too small or even if they did fit on, they didn't fit right any more.

Ammi- I hope everything is okay with your husband...men can be so stubborn about going to the doctor sometimes. My brother did end up with a colostomy bag due to his colitis. He & I were never close, but he made a comment that our Mom must have done something wrong while she was pregnant with us since we both have serious GI disorders. Never mind that he didn't take care of his body for upteen years, smoked, ate too much, drank, worked too much, lived a high stress life, etc. His comment pissed me off and we really haven't talked much since then. Its a shame when you consider we both deal with a lot of the same issues and all, but he's one of those who always has to be right...and it doesn't help I'm the baby of the family either.

Sharon- I hope your tummy is feeling better by now, but take it slow getting back to a normal diet, Okay?

Luan- Its a shame how at the times when family should be pulling together to help each other, like with your Grandmother, that not everyone can do their fair share and cooperate. Is there any possibilty of getting outside help? Maybe check with your areas senior services/programs for the aged? It might be better then relying on 'high drama' family memebers.

Jillybean- I wish you Biggest Loser casting call had went better. It has to be hard for them to sort through the thousands & thousands of people to get just a handful for the show. It makes you wonder what the people who do make did to stand out in the crowd?

Catherine- You and your hubby are such a cute couple. When you get settled in, I want to hear more about how you meet and how you ended up way up in Canada....and I want to see more pictures too

Butterflyns- I have some of the Richard Simmons tapes- I remember years & years ago...like when I was still in my undergrad...trying to to a RS video with my roommate. Both of us thought we were doing pretty good, until he said that was just the warm up & now the real workout starts I need to find my Leslie Sanson walking videos out again- they are more my speed, and with my knee problems, they are easier to adapt to what I'm allowed to do and not allowed to do.

honiangel- Try checking GoodWill/Salvation Army/Etc for your Firm Box...or one that would work with the videos. I got a really nice aerobic step that I use for some of my knee rehab exercises for under $5 a couple years ago. It has all the adjustments and everything. My one cat also thinks its a great place to stretch out and take a nap....like she does on most of my exercise equipment...

Garnetfairy- Who are you losing weight for? You or your Mom? I would have a talk with your Mom that while you apreciate her input, you are an adult, and you realize and you don't need to be reprimanded. Tell her you do better if she helps encourage you when you are doing the right things instead of 'mothering' you.
Old 01-23-2006, 10:09 PM   #30  
determined to lose

mechell81 - Welcome to the group!! I'm pretty new too.

Catherine - The wedding gown was almost as pretty as the bride, congratulations

Ammi - If the pain is muscular perhaps a chiropractor could help adjust pressure off the nerves? I hope that he improves completely and rapidly

Butterflyns - Glad your kitty is back to normal, mine are on the bed behind me waiting for me to get off this machine.

Dogpal - Good Luck with the job interviews I am sure you will find a great job quickly, positive vibes to you

Nancy - Thank you for your kind words of encouragement. Good Luck with the audit. I hope everything comes out ship-shape and all in order. Also that your BF's car gets repaired properly

Jill - I dont know if I could handle being on national television like on big losers. I would probably talk rough and have to be bleeped all the time. Especially when the trainer is all in your face and acting all this and that.

Sharon - I hope you are feeling better soon. I have been sick for all but the first 5 days of January. Upper respiratory, then stomach flu, now chest congestion...blech! It totally stinks doesnt it! Since I cant eat my comfort foods, I have been doing ebay for exercize videos and went crazy on it...boy when the packages start arriving....uh oh. ha ha ha

JJmoreta - I am just big all over except I am 5' 2" but my upper arms are especially huge, yuck chicken fat.

Luan - I dont know what I would do if I were in your situation. Calling the school for the truant officer sounds tempting as far as getting the other kids to stay away...but your name would be mud with the remaining child and probably his mother too. You could say you were just in the mood to be a good citizen and report a crime, albiet a small one. Do they do dope on the property? That could put the house itself at risk not to mention the adults living there. Does your grandmother have any kind of insurance or is there a program she qualifies for that would pay for in-home care? That would give you a break and maybe remove the need for the others to live there. Just a couple of thoughts.

kayleystar - what are you studying, sorry if it was covered in a previous thread, Im a newby.

Gee, my first try at personals and boy is it work. I hope I did not miss anyone!

I am still sick with chest congestion and had to go to the doctor today to appease my family (although I have to pay for it) (it is just lovely living with your parents and brother at 43 - NOT, oh, but it could be (and has been) so much worse, I am thankful for what I have!)Anyway, back to the point, I weighed on the drs scale and it showed 296 rather than the 293 I had last tuesday at the club. I am hoping it was the clothing and the scale and not my cheating that did it. I hope I have not gained back 3 pounds already for goodness sake!

I did a Leslie Sansone workout today, my very first one! The dvd is called Weight Loss Walk and I did the whole first mile and the cooldown. It has 3 progressive workouts on it, but the one wore me out. I am not used to aerobics. I am more a treadmill, lifecycle person. But I liked it. I liked it a lot. Now if I could just get my dad to let me have a single bed rather than the double bed so I can have more space to move around in while I am exercising it would be all good. I have a ton of exercise tapes coming in the mail...I went a bit bonkers on ebay...eek...bad thing is there are still more out there I want....will have to wait until next month though. Have to have some kind of discipline.

Tonight I am splitting a stuffed eggplant with my mom from napoli's. I never had one before, I hope it is good. It is stuffed with cheese, mozzarella, parmesian, and provelone (I think) anyway they should all be good cheeses and a nice red sauce no pasta. Other than my half of that all I have had today is a bowl of bran flakes with skim milk. I dont feel like eating until I put something in my mouth and then I get hungry right now. I guess it is being sick or something.

I hope you all have a good night's sleep and a wonderful morning! Wish me luck on my weigh in at the gym tomorrow! Oh, and on my EKG tomorrow, almost forgot about that little task.
Closed Thread