Old 08-20-2005, 07:38 AM   #1  

Default Good experience with doctor

I've always avoided going to the doctor because it's always been humiliating. Doctors always have had bad attitudes toward me because of my weight.

The lazy doctor will always diagnose whatever problem as being a result of being fat. I even had one doctor diagnose what turned out to be tennis elbow as having been caused by my weight. Now, the last I heard, the elbow is not a weight-bearing joint. That doctor gave me a prescription for Motrin, which of course, just masked the symptoms for a while. I eventually went to a chiropractor who actually treated and resolved the problem.

Anyway, I went for a checkup the other day and was a bit nervous about the inevitable lecture about losing weight. I was ready to stand up for myself and refuse to do a super low calorie diet, ready to explain to the doctor that that would only lead to weight gain. I was ready for the incredulous look of disbelief at such a statement.

Well, after declaring me very healthy, the doctor said, "I can't find anything to treat you for." He went on, very tactfully, to say the only thing is that I might want to consider trying to lose a little weight. He went on to say, "I'm not going to recommend that you lose a hundred pounds, but I'd like to see you set a small goal, of say, 10 pounds. That's doable. Then once you reach that goal, you can decide if you want to set another small goal."

I laughed and told him that I had been afraid he was going to recommend something drastic.

He said, "Oh, no, drastic never works. That only leads to more weight gain."

I couldn't believe it. A doctor who understands that concept!

I was thinking about it afterward and wondering why I didn't feel offended or embarrassed that he brought up my weight at all, and I realized it's because he treated me with respect. Honestly, that was the first time any doctor has treated me with respect as he discussed my weight with me.

The thing is, I'm very motivated to meet my small goal, as opposed to dismissing what he said, as I have with other doctors who have treated me with disdain.

I just wanted to share that with someone who would understand and appreciate my experience. No one in my life would get it so I haven't bothered to share.
changes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2005, 10:39 AM   #2  
ButDoesntWannaLookLikeOne

S/C/G: 230/218/170

Height: 5'4"

Hi Changes,

I can definitely relate, and I'm so glad you shared your POSITIVE doctor story with everyone! I haven't been to a doctor in probably 8 years because I've had all sorts of really bad experiences. But the BIG one was when I was 11 years old, 5'4", and 140lbs. My pediatrician weighed me and said, "You need to lose 20 lbs." When you're an ADULT that sounds totally impossible, but as an 11-year-old, it's like being told you need to figure out a way to walk to the moon. He never gave me any exercise or nutrition advice -- NO tips whatsoever about how to do it. He just said it, and that was it -- and then he sent me home to a environment that included a severely anorexic mother who (obviously) wasn't going to be much help either. I told myself right then and there: "I guess I'll just be fat forever."

I haven't weighed 140lbs since -- and that was 22 years ago.

And perhaps the sickest thing is that I picked 140lbs as my goal weight partially to "spite" this guy...Can I hold a grudge or what???

It's amazing the power doctors can have over you.

Last edited by LovesBassets; 08-20-2005 at 10:42 AM.
LovesBassets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 05:28 PM   #3  

My doctor did the same thing as yours. It almost brought tears to my eyes to be treated as a real human being. I still don't like doctors, but I do appreciate being treated respectfully. I am going to give it a try!
TakinBabySteps is offline   Reply With Quote