Closed Thread

Old 07-23-2005, 01:05 AM   #1  
FattestGirlintheWorld

Default 300+ Will anyone start Dr. Phil with me?

Hi, I'm Sarah. (43yo, 330#, married, mom to one, nurse) My first post here. I'm the fattestgirlintheworld and am going to start (again) to work on the problem. I'm just sitting down to read Dr Phil. I think there are a lot of questions to answer and journalling, therapy, stuff like that. I guess I don't actually know. The other stuff has not worked for me. Have been thinking of doing LC again because I like the quick results but a year of LC off and on has me having gained 30 pounds so maybe that's not the answer for me (but maybe if I try once more, this time will be the time....). I know WW is a good choice but the three months of meetings that I went to were impersonal and I resented the franchise owner guy sitting behind the counter with the dollar signs in his eyes, making money off all the fat ladies (I know that's just the excuse I used) I'm rambling I'll stop.

Anyway, would love to find a buddy, a partner, a friend. I'm not a miserable or pathetic person. I'm a pleasant, funny, intelligent, reasonably successful, warm and generous person. I just happen to weigh 330 pounds today. It's becoming more and more inconvenient. I've done everything, including weight loss surgery TWICE. (but really, I am NOT a miserable pathetic person, I'm not I'm NOT!). This is just the challenge that I have come into this life to lick and I'm still working at it. I'm optimistic that I have, somewhere inside me, whatever it takes to overcome this....it must be deep deep inside me....

So even though I don't love Phil... He doesn't seem like a bad guy but he's not my hero... I'm going to work through his book. Am going to commit to one month (it's official. I'm committed) of doing whatever he says I should do. Can I get a buddy?
Old 07-23-2005, 12:23 PM   #2  

Hi Sarah ~

If you are still looking for a buddy, I am available! Just registered, but have been lurking around this forum for a while. Seems like a very nice place. I was forced to alter my eating habits by a recent diagnosis of insulin resistance and my desire not to take medication for high blood sugar. I have been heavy all my life and morbidly obese for most of my adult life - so this is not a diet for me but a forever lifestyle change. So far I have been off sugar and cutting way back on carbs, but have an absolute adversion to "diets". I just can't get around meal plans and eating stuff I hate - so I am a stubborn in that way, but I will follow the rules and not cheat. I live in a relatively small town where I don't have any social contacts, as I worked out of the area for the first 3 years we lived here and those that I work with currently are locals that have established their own zone of friends to which outsiders don't belong? So...I don't have an optimum support system to gab/chat with, so a diet buddy would be GRAND. We have some things in common, I worked in the medical field for 15+ years, I am around your age 41, I weigh more than you for sure, but I am willing to overlook my jelousy. If I were to describe myself, your description of "pleasant, funny, intelligent, reasonably successful, warm and generous person" would be very accurate. If you already found a buddy or are no longer looking, I wish you the best of luck in your goals, it sounds like you are very committed and will succeed! PS I would be willing to try Dr. Phil with you for a month, although with my blood sugar I would have to adapt something I am sure ~ Take Care.
Old 07-23-2005, 02:38 PM   #3  
FattestGirlintheWorld

Thumbs up My new best friend...

Hi Abby

I'm glad to hear from you and hope we will become friends.

How will this work? Should we just email each other or post here or what, do you think? Maybe we should start our own thread in 300+ group and then others will chime in. What do you think?

I have been struggling with insulin resistance for years, too. I took Metformin for a few years when I was trying to get pregnant. It did not help with that, could note really tell that it did much at all. Why are you afraid to take it? It's my impression that it is a quite benign drug, worst side effect is diarrhea when you first start but you get over that. That's my impression, have not done a lot of research on it so you probably know more than me about it. Do you have PCOS?

My top weight was 406. I'm 5'8" and at that weight, I had relatively few limitations. Was working 16-hour shifts and toting around a toddler. My biggest complaint was that my feet hurt! I guess I was lucky. I can't go there again, though, and it's starting to seem like I am on my way.

I'm through the first couple of chapters of DrPhil. Have you read it? But your'e going to, right? I don't even have any idea what his eating/food plan is but unless it's turnips and peas, I'm willing to give it a go. My idea is that it is more focused on thinking about the how I got here and changing the way I think so that I make better choices and give up my horrible habits. I think that is what I need now, more than an actual do's and don'ts diet plan. I know what I should eat--I just don't wanna.

So. You. Married? Kids? Job? Spill it. I'm off to work in a little while but will check back tonight when I get home. Meanwhile, I'll look around here and try to figure out how we should proceed.

I look forward to hearing from you!
Sarah
Old 07-23-2005, 05:26 PM   #4  

Default Hiya...

Hi Sarah ~

Sounds good - Happy you responded! I sent you a PM.
Old 07-23-2005, 07:37 PM   #5  

Good luck on Dr. Phil. His book is very helpful in the steps a person needs to take to make weight loss permanent, I got so bored with the menu I couldn't stand it and I bought his cookbook thinking ok, some variety and something not plain but the few I tried made me want to yak. And anyone who is peddling weight loss program is out to make money, that is what they are there for. You are paying them for a service just like the person you pay to deliver your newspaper or cut your hair. The key is to find something that fits into your lifestyle and you personally feel is doable. I have tried just about everything out there and I like WW flex points the best. I am not going to the meetings right now-no one is brave enough to sit with all my kids while I go LOL but it is sensible and teaches portion control. I don't think I have cooked the same meal twice since I started-course it has only been a couple weeks I think. Dr. Phil has some good things in his book-let's face it-we eat for a reason-sometimes many and he helps clean out the closet so to speak and gives some good advice.
Melissa
Old 07-23-2005, 11:59 PM   #6  
Registered Loser

Hey everyone -- I think you guys will love the Dr. Phil plan -- I think it works extremely well if you are insulin resistant or diabetic. I struggled with gestational diabetes/insulin resistance for about 9 years, and was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes 3 years ago. Using everything I learned from both Weight Watchers and my "diabetic" diet, I think it is really very healthy and I was NEVER hungry. Unfortunately, I do not have enough grocery budget to keep my fridge that full of the vegies all the time, so I can't follow it exactly -- but I have cut rice out of my diet, I only eat potatoes now and then, etc.

Abbie, keep up the good work! The medications are there if we need them, but it is so much better for us in the long run to learn how to manage our diets now, and lose as much weight as we possibly can. Last December, my blood sugars were getting a little high and my doctor told me if they didn't come down I would have to take glucophage. However, I have lost 55 pounds and my blood sugars are back to "normal." Insulin resistance is just the first step towards diabetes and it is a very painful condition. I cared for my grandmother in the last weeks before she died of diabetes and all I can say is it is the most unbearable thing to watch a person go through. But -- we are so lucky -- the doctors can detect a problem sooner now and if we might the right choices, we just might not have to endure the pain she did.

OK, sorry, off my soap box, lol. Since I am a newbie too, I better not go off on everyone all at once, right?? Let's do this girls -- we ALL can!

BTW, my name is Amy, I am married, I have four daughters, a German Shepard and a horse; I love to write, but I start school in two weeks in the field of business technology. My other passion in life is doing what I can to support my local soldiers and veterans. :-)
Old 07-24-2005, 12:54 PM   #7  

Hi Amy ~

How sweet to hear such encouragement and 55 lbs. that is GREAT. I got the book just now, so I am going to settle in for some quiet reading and reflection.

I am totally in agreement with you on the veggie issue, besides which *with head hung low in shame* I don't like to cook! I am not good at it, I don't like it and I have tried to learn and it gave me no satisfaction - if I am not eating it - I would rather have nothing to do with it, I don't even like shopping for it.

My relationship with food is just MESSED UP! I am still coming off a severe carb addiction so my mind is spacy at times, funny and scary how you can get so hooked! I was a cracker and snack junkie - BIG TIME. I told hubby "Now that Fresca is starting to stay down and sweetner in my tea is no longer bringing on tears", I might have taken the first steps in breaking those chains of carb/sugar addiction! I do feel much better now - I am looking forward to losing enough to exercise (tell me that is not pathetic) but seriously when you are a LARGE as me - moving is an effort and exercising without pain is akin to winning the lotto! Wish me luck!

Thanks for your kind words -
Old 07-24-2005, 01:07 PM   #8  
Michigan Old-Timer

Just to let you know, you gals are more than welcome to post on the numbered threads over in the 300+ area. There was a group that did Dr. Phil Chapter by Chapter some time ago. As moderator over there, I would be happy to start a Dr. Phil thread once again for you and even "sticky" it at the top so that it would be easy for you all to find. The way the last one went was one chapter per week. Apparently that gave everyone time to read as well as do the mental soul searching that is needed to get the weight off.

Please PM me and let me know what you might like. I don't usually read over here in Buddy UP, but Sarah's "300+" caught my eye.

If you'd like, I can even move this entire thread over under the 300+ sub heading. I'm sure you'll get plenty of interest as there are alot of newer girls posting over there that weren't here when the Dr. Phil study came up the last time.

Just let me know, I'll be glad to help you out.
Old 07-24-2005, 01:11 PM   #9  

That would be great - I am not really in the groove as far as finding my way around here yet - but I am learning. Thanks so much for the assistance, whatta sweetie you are :-)
Old 07-25-2005, 03:23 PM   #10  
Michigan Old-Timer

Ok, ladies, your thread has been moved over to 300+ AND your Dr. Phil Book Study thread has been started. Now all you have to do is read and fill it up.
Old 07-25-2005, 10:12 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 278/267.2/180

Height: 5'7"

Welcome ladies and good luck with Dr P! I was one who did it last year. I loved it! I'll probably lurk around and maybe even join in occassionally as a refresher.
Old 07-27-2005, 12:53 PM   #12  
grateful

Default Help please!!

How can I find where this thread has been moved too? Thanks.
Old 07-27-2005, 03:22 PM   #13  
Michigan Old-Timer

The Dr. Phil Book Study Thread has been started and is at the top of the 300+ menu area and has been "stickied" to stay there. Please look for it and add your comments there.

This thread is now CLOSED.
Closed Thread