Old 05-30-2005, 08:40 PM   #1  
working off those pounds

S/C/G: 350+/ticker/150

Height: 5'5"

Default 300+ And Ready to Try Again...#723

WELCOME !!!

We are a group of individuals who weigh or have weighed 300+, or near there. This group was formed to provide a place for others like us to find support and hope. We are aware of the distinct problems that come with weighing over 300 lbs.

We want to invite everyone to join us in our journey.
We share laughter and tears.
We share what works for us and what doesn't.
We often use a "Topic of the Day" for discussion.

Motivational Monday
Tuesday Tips
Wednesday Wish List .. and What you are doing to obtain it.
Thankful Thursday
FUN Friday ... don't wait until you lose your weight.
Sit-up Saturdays - any physical activity
Share your Success Sunday

These are not required topics ...just ideas to share. We often find them very helpful. We also share heartaches and fears ... joys and celebrations.

We have several extra threads going on simutaneously such as Monthly Challenges, Weekly Weigh-ins, Recipes, Bios, and more. Please feel free to check them all out.

We have a bi-weekly 2x2 Challenge.
Our goal is to lose 2 lbs in 2 weeks.
The challenges start every other Monday. There will be a sign-up started by someone on the thread and then you report in 2 weeks later with your losses!
Once the one challenge ends, a new one begins the same day.
We have a long term goal of losing 300+ lbs within our 300+ group in 2005.
(NOTE: We DID IT, We DID IT....and it's only the end of May!!!)

We have found this thread to be more than just a support group...
we have found it to become a home. We invite you to join us.

WELCOME!
VermontChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2005, 08:48 PM   #2  
working off those pounds

Hello ladies!

I've taken on too many jobs I think, it's so hard to stay on program when you have to work overtime..gah!! At least I'm maintaining...I know it takes time, and I'm not planning on quitting anytime soon...

sooo....as usual we have the long string of apologies from melissa because for the past three weeks she has been unable to post individual replies...I won't lie...there's been so many new people joining lately that I've been too intimidated to try!! Don't get me wrong, this is a GREAT thing, i just feel like i wouldn;t be doing you all justice. Anywho, I've decided that I will be exercising four days a week now instead of five (it became too unrealistic)..and to make it easier, I'm going to work out on the days that I don't work at the bookstore, since the other days I have much more flexibility.

I took on another company this past week..so I have a bunch of new stores to take care of...moooore surveys and audits.

How is everyone else doing? Did you all have a good Holiday? I spent mine working
Old 05-30-2005, 09:47 PM   #3  
working off those pounds

bumping this thread up because i forgot to post a final reply on the last thread and i want this one on top!!!

Old 05-30-2005, 10:28 PM   #4  
DoxieMomx2

Hello all! I hope everyone had a great weekend. The hubby and I managed to get the rest of the deck stained/sealed. The rain delayed us somewhat, but we finally just went ahead and did it, even with the cloudy skies! Other than that, we have had a very relaxing weekend. My son stayed with my sister last night, so we actually had a night to ourselves, which is something we don't get very often at all! You can tell we've been married a long time, we spent part of that time going to the grocery store! We did managed to get a mile and half walk in yesterday evening, and I will get on the treadmill when I get through posting.

I mentioned before that the hubby is doing WW with me. Him being on program has really helped me this time around. We met my sister and the kids at Applebee's for lunch today for the kid switch, and hubby caved and went totally off program. BUT... I didn't!! I ordered off the WW menu and have stayed OP all day, even though he has spent the day off. Catherine, a lot of this new resolve is thanks to you! You have given me a whole new perspective on this weight loss journey, and I thank you.

Dolfingirl - Welcome! I'm sorry for your recent losses. It does seem that you have had more than your share for the last six months. This is a great place to get motivation and encourgament. The ladies on this site are wonderful and we are all in the same boat - trying to get the weight off. Good luck and keep forging ahead.

Dogpal - So sorry to hear about your ER visit. I hope you are doing better and back to normal soon.

Terri - Hope you enjoyed Lake Jacomo! I say if you want to unload the dirt, then do it! My hubby isn't a real "fix-it" kind of guy and is so laid back, I pretty much take charge and just do it. My dad and I built a retaining wall last summer. When we originally built the wall, it had rained and the landscaping yard wouldn't sell us the dirt because it was too wet. I filled in with a load of gravel first, then later after it had dried out, I took the truck to Cripple Creek landscaping yard and had them load it up with dirt and spent a Friday evening shoveling dirt from the truck to a wheelbarrow and then wheeling it into the back yard and ended up filling the wall in by myself. Sometimes men just don't know half of what they think they do!

FutureDiva - Congrats on your daughter's wedding!

Tashabella - Just jump right back on the wagon. I don't have a membership at a gym either, but do have a treadmill at home, although I am one of those people that, thankfully, truly enjoy walking. I prefer walking outside, but use the treatmill in the winter and on days like today when I was too busy to go out. Keep thinking positive thoughts - you can do this!

To everyone else, hello and I truly enjoy reading ALL the posts. All of you give me a little something that helps me keep on moving forward with a positive attitude. Take care and have a geat week.
DoxieMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2005, 11:55 PM   #5  
Dancing those pounds away

Hi guys... Haven't taken time to read this weekend. I am having a wonderful time with my family. We have spent a LOT of time together and I am loving it. Once your kids grow up and have a life of their own .... you don't get to spend as much time with them. But this weekend we have spent the whole time together. FUN fun fun.

My granddaughter made me smile. I am a BIG lady... and swimsuits are not my friends. LOL But ... when I walked out to the pool... my granddaughter did NOT say... Oh grandma you are so fat... but she DID SAY... "Oh grandma... that is such a pretty bathing suit." It was a nice surprise. In the past I always bought black, or dark blue suits. This year I bought bright pink flowers, and orange hawaiian, and bright blue flower suits.

I hope everyone had a great weekend. I hope you all have a great week now too.
2cute2Bfat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2005, 12:51 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 357/see tracker/150

Height: 5'2"

Smile

Hi Everyone~~

Thanks for the nice welcome. It makes a person feel good.

2Cute2Bfat--I LOL at the story about your granddaughter. It's funny isn't it? That what she saw was the bathing suit and not any extra pounds? Just makes you realize that sometimes we are much harder on ourselves than anyone else is. That makes me so happy.

DoxieMom--Your babies are ADORABLE! They aren't as cute as mine are though. I have 2 short haired black and tans named Maxwell (17 lbs.) and Simone (9.4 lbs.), and a short haired chocolate named Bandit (15 lbs.) I just love my little long dogs to pieces. I was reading in another thread about how your dog goes into your purse and I had to laugh. Simi does the same thing when my mother comes over. She roots through the pocketbook until she finds the tissues and then she chews them up. She's a real sneak about it too and we don't even know that she's done it until we find the tissues on the floor. You would think that we would learn and keep her purse up on the table----but we don't.

MissMeliss--congratulations on getting another company for work. I don't know what you do, but it sounds like you have several jobs. Maybe if you have more companies you can only work one of them. Job I mean. Most people would be aghast at what I'm going to say, but good for you deciding to cut back on your workout by one day. Most of us end up just feeling like failure's because they can't get the number of days in that they had planned. What happens then? I know with me it was to just stop going. I look back and see what a dummy I was. I'm still a member and have been for the past year. Anyway, good luck with all of your work.

Well it's getting late and I have to go. I'll tell you all how my workout goes tomorrow sinced I didn't do anything about it today. I ate good, I just didn't work out. Have a great day.

Last edited by dolfingirl2000; 05-31-2005 at 12:57 AM.
dolfingirl2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2005, 03:55 AM   #7  
Determined to Lose!!!

Red face

Dogpal/Andrea... So sorry to hear about your illness. Hang in there...

dolphingirl, I agree. This time around I think I've stuck with my plan for so long because 'failure' does not exist here... it's so easy to say, oh I haven't been working out everyday, so i failed and it's no use trying, but that's counterproductive! Meliss, great job deciding to cut down one day! At the moment, I think the 30 a day exercise challenge has worked wonders for me because it's a smallish goal that I can aim for everyday. And when I'm more energetic, I'll do more than 30. On the days where I wouldn't be exercising at all, motivation to meet the challege helps me get in at least 10 minutes.

For all of you with pools and lovely gardens, you're making my mouth water... mmm... some day! But, anyway green thumbs, congrats on all your hard work... it's going to be a lovely summer!

2cute your granddaughter sounds so cute! (she must take after you ) sometimes kids seem so much more intelligent and kind than us adults... why do a lot of us become so superficial?

OK, women house work calls!
BIGGIRL27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2005, 08:12 AM   #8  

Talking Me too

Everyone ~ Thank you so much for your support. You help keep me going. I do have videos, a treadmill, weights, etc., it's forcing myself to use them that's the hard part. It's sad, too, because I actually enjoy exercising. I think I make it worse in my head than it really is and I create a feeling of dread before I even go do it.

I've been carrying an extra 20 pounds around for the last month or so (above and beyond what I was carring around before, which at least my body was used to). I feel like I'm carrying an 8-month-old baby around with me all day. I've kind of been afraid to exercise because lots of things are hurting. But I'll start slow and take it easy.

Dogpal ~ I also had an allergic reaction to suntan lotion (about two weeks ago). Thank God, mine was not serious. I'm sorry yours was. I've been using the stuff all my life. I was shocked. I got a bad rash everywhere I had applied it. Just out of curiosity, what brand was it? I'll have to check and see what brand I used (I was at my parents' house and used theirs, but I can find out). Scary stuff to think something simple could harm you!!!

I hope everyone will have a good OP day!!!
Tashabella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2005, 10:14 AM   #9  

Good Morning Ladies!

Well, the long weekend is just a memory...boy do I wish I was still there! It was a beautiful weekend, but I can't say I accomplished a great deal. I have so much to do before the camping event that starts the 11th, but no time and no energy to do anything.

Before I forget...Welcome to Dolfingirl! I think you'll really like it here! (If I've missed any other newcomers - welcome!)

Food-wise, I did not do too bad this weekend. Saturday and Monday I stayed OP and, in fact, didn't realize until after dinner that I was only at about 20 pts for the day yesterday. I couldn't figure out why I was so hungry until I figured that out! I must admit, I've been sooo craving something like pizza - greasy, deep-dish pizza with loads of drippy cheese! I settled for two tortillas with cheese and salsa - 4 pts and not what I wanted, but close. Sunday, I wasn't so good. In fact, with the tons of food I had for dinner I was miserably full! But I had about 8 pts before dinner, so it could have been worse...I didn't eat all day knowing I was going to be eating burgers and brats for dinner (friend's bbq) but that was probably a mistake...I was starved and ate everything in sight! I truely regretted it too!

We put up our medieval pavilion in the yard this weekend, just to see how it's done before we have to do it at the campsite. This is a seriously difficult tent to put up! But, it looks so cool! I also washed a ton of fabric to make new clothes out of...you have to wear medieval clothing at this camping event and none of us have that much! So I have sewing to do. I also made a cover for our cooler-so we don't have a bright red plastic cooler sitting in front of our medieval tent! And I have three more to make! Like I said-lots to do.

I did manage to make it to the cemetary where my parent's rest on Monday. I go so seldom anymore, but it's 45 minutes away and I can't find the time it seems. I've been in a funk ever since. Got back home yesterday and just didn't want to do anything! Guess it depressed me a bit cause I've been in a funk ever since. What I'd like to do is just sleep until next week...what I'm going to do is work my butt off doing hearings during the day and sewing and building stuff at night!

Doxiemom: My DH is doing WW with me too and you are right...it's sooo much better this way. It gets a little irritating when he loses more faster though. My biggest problem is I don't really want him to lose any more weight! I like him just the way he is, which is at about 240 now! I'm gonna have nothing to snuggle if he get's much skinnier!

Ah well, I suppose I should get my big ole butt in gear and get to work! I'll stop by later, of course! (Where would I be without you ladies?)
Lilion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2005, 11:46 AM   #10  
Michigan Old-Timer

Hi all! I see everyone survived the holiday weekend. That's good. I'm glad that most of you had some wonderful family plans. It's always nice to stay in touch.

The weatherman had predicted thunderstorms for the entire weekend here. We got a 10 minute shower on Saturday and then again on Sunday and not a cloud in the sky yesterday. Go figure! Honey came in yesterday afternoon and said, "this is the nicest bad weekend I've ever seen!"

Yard work was the order of the day yesterday. Honey and the boys got out and mowed the lawn, weed wacked and edged the grass. I got Honey a fancy-dancy gas edger for his birthday earlier in the month and he finally got that out to try it. Says it works pretty good. Sure beats an old knife and being down on your hands and knees!

I got my black pots planted and a hybiscus that I bought the other day. I still have a few things to move around in my garden. The one little sprig of fern that I planted two years ago has now sprouted two babies and they're not where I'd like them to be so I'm going to dig them up and move them elsewhere. I also see that my daisies are crowding one of my hostas so I think something will have to be moved around there too.

I still have a couple more pots to get planted, but my back gave out and it was getting hot yesterday afternoon so I went inside and played cards with my mom for a couple of hours.

I took today off to try and get some stuff done. I've got a bunch of rebates that I need to work on that expire today so I need to get them in the mail. Can you believe that June 1st is TOMORROW!!! Oh my, where does the time go?

Well, if I stay here much longer I won't get anything done, so I better scoot. Talk to you all later. Love ya bunches!
thinthinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2005, 11:55 AM   #11  
I ate it

S/C/G: 312/cw/140

Height: 5'4"

I'm back...from a lonnnnng and tiring weekend in Vegas. Now before you ooh and ahh over a Vegas Vacation...let me assure you that it was NOT a vacation from anything. It was the annual Regional Convnetion for the youth group I work with and I was staffing. Which means running sessions all day and staying up late to check the kids into their rooms and whatnit..plus all of the emotionalness of it all.

I am glad to be home...even gladder that the traffic on the way home wasn't terrible (we were only about 30 minutes late getting home) and that my kids had a fabulous time.

I TRIED SO HARD to be good on food. Since it was a private function (at a crappy hotel) it wasn't the endless buffet...but the food choices were limited...although one night with dinner they had a chinese chicken salad and I was able to get some without the dressing. I ate potatoes 3 times on Sunday which I really did not mean to do..but the portions were Ok so maybe it's not so bad. I avoided all of the breads and bagels and pastries...brought some of my own food with me and had my oatmeal every morning...drank about 3 times the water I normally do (lord it was hot) and all in all was good. On the way there and on the way home we stopped at Subway...and I was able to get the baby spinach and grilled chicken with the veggie pattie instead of the chicken...they also have 2 fat-free, low cal dressings...and add to that lots of veggies...they were good meals.

Jason came over last night when I got home and brought me flowers and a sweet card...it was our "month-a-versary" while I was gone and he was so sweet to remember. I didn't mean to fall asleep on him but sadly I conked out...then some idiot began to crank call me first at 2:30 and then at 3:40 and 3:45. Just what I needed.

Now it's back to work and the normal routine today and all that comes with it. It took me a while to catch up on the posts for the last several days so forgive me for not making any individual replies. I may treat myself to the day off tomorrow..I don't think I have so much to do and can get away with it...I need to unpack and clean up and get a haircut and sleeeeeeeeep in my own bed.

Now I am off and running (well as fast as can be managed right now) to get some breakfast and get to work for a flipping staff meeting...ugh. Tonight will also be a late night at work too...chapter elections and then a meeting with my new board. More drama.

Ok ladies..stay fabulous and keep on working!!!
JuleeCeeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2005, 01:37 PM   #12  
It's gotta be the glasses

Height: 5'8"

God, it's been a horrible week.

I've been so stressed out lately. It's not that I don't want to eat right and exercise, because I really do. It's more that I can't focus on what I need to do because everything else is literally getting in the way.

We've had to unpack a storage unit that we can no longer afford to rent but we simply don't have the space for all that stuff. And I'm having a really hard time trying to sort through it since a lot of it is boxes that have yet to be unpacked from when my father passed away last year. I still don't have the heart to go through them, but I guess I have no choice. So we've been tripping over stuff for a while; I can't even use my counters or kitchen table until I get more organized!

On top of that I have a correspondence course that I need to finish up so I can keep my job; my boss has been asking for a set date that it will be done by but with the way things are going, I have no clue.

In the meantime, I have to practice driving the bus so I can get ready for the driving test before school gets out (at least I've gotten the written test down). I also need to study for the safety check test.

And I just got informed of my hours for the summer. I'm so disappointed. I work part-time as it is, and now my hours are going to be cut. My boss really pushed me into getting this new license, and now it seems so not worth all this trouble and stress.

Sorry that I'm whining so much but I'm at my wit's end. I'm so frustrated that I haven't lost any weight this last month, and especially that I haven't made the effort to eat right in the past week or so.

I'm hoping that once I've gotten most of this behind me in the next few weeks I can make a fresh start with my new work schedule. Maybe then I can start a whole new routine and get back on track.
esmaraude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2005, 02:33 PM   #13  
Shadiepurple

Greetings ladies ! Well, here we go into the new week, and I am already for it to be over. HAHA WI for me was yesterday and TADAA 2lbs gone! I was pleased. I wanted it to show more because I started exercising last week. I know it will show up sooner or later.

Crime girl: welcome, welcome, welocome. I hope you find the suport here you are seeking . I am new here as of last month so I don't know much, but I'm available to chat anytime . good luck on what ever your plan is.

dolfingirl: welcome to you too. I'm glad you found us! Everyone here is suportive and understanding and amoungst us all, we've been through it all too. Feel free to brag, cry, complain cheer, what ever it is your going through each day. We love to listen.

Esmaraude: I'm feelin' ya sister . I have a living room full of my moms stuff from a storage unit. She passed a way 1 1/2 yrs ago and i can't hardly go through a box with crying my eyes out. I miss her so much. Anything that was hers is special to me, but I already have a house and garage full of my own crap. We'll get through it somehow girl. I'm willing to listen anytime. I know how hard it is, especially when it's forced on us. READY OR NOT. Take a deep breath and get the kleenex. Your in my prayers and thoughts.

Everyone have a super OP week. You can do it!! Enjoy your life today.
shadiepurple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2005, 03:07 PM   #14  
742,000 calories burned

S/C/G: 592/380/175

Height: 5'9"

I finished my new swimsuit yesterday, finally. Then I did something I can truthfully say I have never done before. I tried it on and looked at myself in a full mirror. The only big mirror we have is inside a closet door underneath a shoe rack, so just getting to the mirror was a chore. I survived the sight without having a stroke or getting struck blind. That's about the only real comment I have about it, except I don't think I will be doing it again anytime soon. I don't need that picture in my head when I'm walking out to the pool at the YMCA. Yikes!

Now for a dip into my clippings file. From the International Journal of Obesity and Related Metabolic Disorders, Danish researchers have found that a diet high in calcium helps people lose weight. Calcium helps the body excrete fat. The study showed that when a diet contained 15% of calories from protein and 1,800 mg of calcium, significantly more fat and calories are excreted compared to a similar diet with only 500 mg of calcium. The higher calcium dosage did not produce the same effect in a diet with 23% of calories from protein.

My doctor said it is time to start upping my calcium intake (you know that whole over 40 stuff). I will let you know if it works.
CatherineM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2005, 03:46 PM   #15  

Quote:
Originally Posted by hippievanlady
Danish researchers have found that a diet high in calcium helps people lose weight. Calcium helps the body excrete fat. The study showed that when a diet contained 15% of calories from protein and 1,800 mg of calcium, significantly more fat and calories are excreted compared to a similar diet with only 500 mg of calcium. The higher calcium dosage did not produce the same effect in a diet with 23% of calories from protein.

My doctor said it is time to start upping my calcium intake (you know that whole over 40 stuff). I will let you know if it works.
I'm so glad you posted that! I have a bag FULL of calcium supplements on my computer desk at work that I forgot was even there for about a month now! At lunch is the only time I can take them since taking them with my morning or evening pills blocks the blood pressure meds. Now that I've had a reminder to take my calcium pills maybe I'll remember!
Lilion is offline   Reply With Quote