Old 05-09-2005, 11:42 PM   #1  
Michigan Old-Timer

Default 300+ And Ready To Try Again...#713

WELCOME !!!

We are a group of individuals who weigh or have weighed 300+, or near there. This group was formed to provide a place for others like us to find support and hope. We are aware of the distinct problems that come with weighing over 300 lbs.

We want to invite everyone to join us in our journey.
We share laughter and tears.
We share what works for us and what doesn't.
We often use a "Topic of the Day" for discussion.

Motivational Monday
Tuesday Tips
Wednesday Wish List .. and What you are doing to obtain it.
Thankful Thursday
FUN Friday ... don't wait until you lose your weight.
Sit-up Saturdays - any physical activity
Share your Success Sunday

These are not required topics ...just ideas to share. We often find them very helpful. We also share heartaches and fears ... joys and celebrations.

We have several extra threads going on simutaneously such as Monthly Challenges, Weekly Weigh-ins, Recipes, Bios, and more. Please feel free to check them all out.

We have a bi-weekly 2x2 Challenge.
Our goal is to lose 2 lbs in 2 weeks.
We have a long term goal of losing 300+ lbs within our 300+ group in 2005.

We have found this thread to be more than just a support group...
we have found it to become a home. We invite you to join us.

WELCOME!

I know you'll all agree that we are really thankful for the free services here at 3FC. The sisters offer all of this support and information with no charges to us. There are a couple of ways though that we can help out.

If you are thinking about buying anything at Amazon, why not help out 3FC at the same time? You can do this by clicking on the button for Amazon on any page in the forum, or by clicking on the button on the main 3FC page at www.3fatchicks.com . A portion of your purchase price will be given to 3FC by Amazon. It doesn't increase your price at all, but it does help out 3FC. You can use any of the Amazon.com links that you see on the site in order to help contribute to the site.

Also, BTW, in case you didn't know it, you can view the message boards "ad free" for a minimal charge. I think it's like $15 for 6 months. A very small investment to be rid of the annoying ads and make your pages load quicker.

There have been some concerns expressed by the powers that be about copyright infringement. So please, if you are directly quoting someone else or printing an article in whole or in part, please give credit where credit is due!!!!
thinthinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 11:45 PM   #2  
Michigan Old-Timer

Howdy, everyone! Just checking in before bed. Had a busy day and I'm headed to bed by midnight. Hoping to get back in that habit here right quick.

I have a light day tomorrow so maybe I'll have a chance to get in here and do proper responses to everyone.

Hope you are all having a good night.

Love ya bunches!!!
thinthinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 01:19 AM   #3  
Dancing those pounds away

Angela... whether it is weight we have gained back or virgin weight.... it ALL has to go.
You bet we need to take PRIDE in losing it "again".
Gaining is not something to be proud of ... but losing it again IS.
I am glad you are joining us. Just share that you lost it again.. just don't report it to Terri to be added to the TOTALS until it is virgin weight again.

Lilion... CONGRATULATIONS on those consistent weight losses.
Hopefully many more of us will follow in your footsteps.

Terri ... sorry your evening was so bad. {{ HUGS }}
Just remember... we all have them and it is not the end of the world.
Tomorrow give your DH a little extra lovin and let if blow over. I bet he wants it all to go away too

Pebs... I second your motion.... Go Chicks ....Go Team !!!

Tickledpink ... CONGRATS on those 5lbs !!! I am so proud of you hard work.

Shadiepurple... CONGRATS on that 9 lbs loss !!! Keep up the good work.!!

Thin... thanks for starting the new thread.
I had a wasted day. I think dog poop was more productive than I today. It at least fertilized some grass.

Okay... I am tired of posting so I am stopping here. Looking forward to reading everyone's post in the morning.
2cute2Bfat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 02:59 AM   #4  
Oooo Silly Me!

TwinkledPink – CONGRATS on the 5lbs lost! I promise not to go searching to help find it!

Just a quick post here… I went to the gym tonight… worked out for about an hour. I did the exercise bike for 15 minutes, then I worked out on some weight machines, and then I finished up with 15 minutes on the treadmill. Not bad for my first day. I’m looking forward to going again on Wednesday. It wasn’t as bad as I thought tho. I kept thinking everyone was looking at my large rear end as I bent over. I gotta get over my self consciousness about my body. It really is only hindering me. But I am sure eventually I will get over that. I had blood drawn today. They wanna check my chemistry?? Sugars, electrolytes, potassium and so on. I spoke to a doctor at Cal State about the possibility of PCOs and well, we will see what she mentions when I talk to her about my blood work results. She did mention tho, that the only way to make the symptoms better assuming I do have PCOs is to lose weight first off. Well I’m working on that. So we shall see.

Take care everyone!
Sue…
SueMarie301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 04:19 AM   #5  
Determined to Lose!!!

Talking Ahhh... challenges!!!!

Hello everyone! I haven't posted in some time (about 3 threads ago - you girls can chat!) but I do want to be a part of the challenge as a motivational tool. I currently have all sorts of goals going to engage and focus myself! It is so great to tick those goals off - large and small. So far, I've been meeting my goals before the 'goal date' but I know that must be because these are the early days! For those of you who started right around 300, how long did it take before the weight loss slowed down? In the past, as soon as I wasn't losing 3 - 5 lbs a week, I got discouraged. This time I want to be ready and just continue to work harder... I just feel like I wish I knew when to expect that.

Exercise has slowed down some the last few days due to an upset stomach and yesterday a sore ankle!!! But, today I'll be using some 'Deep Heat' cream and doing a 40 minute workout! yeah!

DH woke me up with a beautiful, on plan breakfast this morning... it was so sweet! I feel so lucky. He's giving me the space to stick with this without pressuring me or enticing me to cheat. When I first began to cut out junk food about 2 months ago, he used to feel 'sorry' for me or feel 'guilty' about eating cookies and peanut butter and lots of bread. I also detected a cringe here and there in the supermarket because the fattier foods are always cheaper and of course now I must go lean!!!! But, anyway, I think he finally got it when I said, hey, we can save £1 get the fatty meat and say hello to it on my butt tomorrow or we can pay £1 get the lean meat and say hello to a leaner me in one year's time! That cracked him up. We were giggling for the rest of the shop and since then he seems to really understand what I'm going through! Thank God for DH!!!

OK ladies, good luck. CONGRATS LILION!!! Keep up the good work everyone! Those of you who are determined to lose what you gained back - what an inspiration! I tend to go into denial and NOT record small gains!

Stay strong, Ladies!

2X2 CHALLENGE

THINTHINKER
JULEECEES
AUDREY
LILION
2cute
Twinkledpink
Shadiepurple
Angela
BIGGIRL27 -Tammara
BIGGIRL27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 04:25 AM   #6  
Determined to Lose!!!

oh i forgot to post my Tuesday tip!

I learned this on the GI diet. If you have a probem with portion control ore eating enough veggies try this:

Imagine your plate divided into 4 quarters. For lunch and dinner you should try to fill 1/2 the plate (or 2 quarters) with your veggies. Leave one quarter for your protein and one quarter for your carbs. And do not cheat by piling your sections high! I started doing this and noticed that my portions looked significantly different than what I used to eat so I panicked thinking 'This is NOT going to fill me up!' But you know what? I never really go for seconds anymore! I do feel full!

Hope this helps...
BIGGIRL27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 05:46 AM   #7  

Talking Good morning!

Hello lovely ladies, How are all of you this morning? I am feeling pretty proud of myself, no reason to really, other than the fact that I managed one whole Monday without cheating! I hope you all know that this is said tongue in cheek! I am so wishy washy about the program until I could just scream at myself. Uh Oh! I forgot that thin reads this!

Thin, I promise to behave! I think your advice helped. It made me laugh anyway.

2cute, you are on a roll, congrats on the attitude. Attitude is half the battle, isn't it? Let's be the little engine that could!

SueMarie, forget about how your butt looks bent over! Go for the exercise and blank everybody and everything else out. When I am bent over weeding my flower bed out front, I just say let them look! As long as I don't hear what they are saying!

Biggirl, Try not to get discouraged if you don't lose a whopping amount of weight every week. It will surely vary. One week you might not lose any, but the next will make up for it. When I lost before (sorry to say, and gained it back ) I would have large losses and then not much at all, so just keep on keeping on and it will go. ( boy, do I need to listen to my own advice).

Terri, Arguements are inevitible between two people that live together, but they blow over, thank goodness, if not my DH and I would not have made it through the first year much all of the ones that followed. Many of them! We still have them, but not often. Making up is fun too!

I think that is everyone on this thread. I am getting like 2cute, if I don't catch this before it gets too many post I give up on individual replies. LOL!

This is my jumping off place. See ya later! Iwillbe
Iwillbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 07:07 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 510/see tracker/160

Height: 5' 9 1/2"

Good morning chickies I hope that you all have a super day that is very productive in taking the scales down a few notches. Hang in there and be blessed!

Dogpal
dogpal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 07:13 AM   #9  

Well I am leaving for vacation tonight...going to Illinois to visit familt for a few day...I hope to keep seeing that "2" at the front of my weight when I get back...If not, I know how to get it back =)

oh yeah, before I forget...

2X2 CHALLENGE

THINTHINKER
JULEECEES
AUDREY
LILION
2cute
Twinkledpink
Shadiepurple
Angela
BIGGIRL27 -Tammara
theotherjen
theotherjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 10:15 AM   #10  

Talking

Good Morning Ladies!

Thanks for the congrats But I can honestly say that this board and you ladies make it easier to stay on track. That and DH losing along with me. Really, it hasn't been too hard yet and I always feel bad when I see how some of you struggle and exercise and I'm just lazy and it works. I keep waiting for the inevitable plateau. When I lost before it always hit at about 40 lbs and then I'd go off program and gain 70! I'm determined to work through that when it happens this time!

otherjen: Have fun on that vacation!

Biggirl: I think I lost like 8 lbs the first week, 5 lbs the 2nd and 4 lbs the third or something like that. Then I went a week without losing anything! Then I settled down to about 2 lbs a week. I personally think 3-5 is a little unrealistic. 2 lbs a week is really good and if you think about it, 2 lbs a week is 108 lbs a year! Heck, 1 lb a week is 54 lbs a year - I can live with that! Don't get discouraged if it's a little slower coming off than you wanted - off is off and slower is actually more likely to stay off!

Sue: Good for you for starting at a gym. I HATE exercise. In fact, the only exercise I've found I like a little is playing "racketball" with DH. I put that in quotes because the only resemblance to actual racketball is that it's played with rackets on a racketball court! We're not exactly pros - or even amateurs.

Shadypurple and Twinklepink: Good starting losses! Feels good, huh?

Angela: We're glad to have you back. Don't worry, you'll be back to virgin fat in no time!

Pebs: Stay with us and you can do it! This is a great bunch of ladies and you'll get all the support you need! Welcome!

Catherine: I've kicked my share of scales! I'm glad they were messed up instead of you!

Well, I suppose I should get to work. The only problem with a three-day weekend is the short week that follows! Congrats to all you lovely losers! Hang in there!
Lilion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 11:01 AM   #11  
Dancing those pounds away

Tammara... I loved your Tuesday Tip. Great suggestion !!! Way to go standing up for your lean meat.

Iwillbe.... "I think I can... I think I can... I think I can"

dogpal ... I am taking your advice and being productive in taking the scales down a few notches.

theotherJen... enjoy your trip. Hope you get to peek in here while there.

Lilion... you are a BRAVE girl. Quote....
Quote:
it hasn't been too hard yet and I always feel bad when I see how some of you struggle and exercise and I'm just lazy and it works.
I think if some of us knew where you lived... we would come beat the crap out of you for that.

Tuesday Tip .... Eat with only a salad fork... or even better... children silverware. It helps slow you down.

Last edited by 2cute2Bfat; 05-10-2005 at 11:04 AM.
2cute2Bfat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 12:56 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 510/see tracker/160

Height: 5' 9 1/2"

Good morning again! Tuesday tip that really helps me to eat less and slooooow down in my eating. Put your fork, spoon etc. down after every bite. If you are like me and are used to inhaling your food you really have to think about it. It does get easier with every meal to do it automatically. I find that I eat way less because it gives my stomach time to feel full.

Blessings,
Dogpal
dogpal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 01:12 PM   #13  
742,000 calories burned

S/C/G: 592/380/175

Height: 5'9"

Good afternoon ladies. Exercise. The "E" word. Does it seem like we have more trouble with the exercise part than the diet part? Dieting can be done quietly outside the view of the public. Exercise, unless you use a treadmill at home, seems to have to be done in front of other people. I have the advantage of living where the pool is full of the old lady crowd, but the gym is definitely full of hard bodies. When I feel self conscience, I just remember that I am burning 2-3 times as many calories as the skinny chick on the workout equipment next to me. People looked at me with disgust for years while I was abusing my body, and it didn't keep me away from the buffet table. If they want to look at me with disgust for trying to better myself, then they can kiss my, etc. I will wiggle, jiggle, and bob in the water like a navigation buoy, and taint nuthin they can do to keep me out of there.

My Tuesday tip: Learning how to work with you menstrual cycle can help to optimize even your workouts. Tracy Gaudet, M.D., offers these monthly guidelines:
=During the first half of your cycle: Right after the heavy days of your period, you're most likely to feel strong and energetic. Try running, lap swimming and kickboxing.
=During the second half of your cycle: During the time leading up to your period, the mood turns inward and retreating. Try walking, yoga, or leisurely swimming.
CatherineM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 01:28 PM   #14  

Talking Kick butt!

Vanlady Catherine ~ I could definitely do some kickboxing around the time of my period (which is now). I actually bought a whole kickboxing kit and have the (punching/kicking) bag in the closet off of my patio. I need to go get that sucker (I only used it once)! (Lots of frustration -- need to get it out somehow without killing DH.)

Since it's tip day, I will add to Catherine's list of food items that can help you. I also have sinus related allergy problems and also feel like crap right now! Honey is a natural antibiotic. When I feel allergy problems/nasal stuff coming on, I drink echinacea tea with honey in it and it usually goes away pretty quickly. (You also can put honey on cuts and they will heal quicker, but it is not advised because it is so messy! LOL)

Still OP. (Thank God!)
Tashabella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 01:45 PM   #15  

Red face

2cute: I didn't realize how bad that sounded until I reread it just now. Should I run for the hills?

Seriously, while I have been lazy with exercise - I have been pretty much religious with counting my points and watching everything that goes in my mouth. I guess I just feel like I'm not having to work too hard because I've let myself eat stuff that I probably shouldn't on occasion and it hasn't hurt me - but then again, I usually count it. Like the brat's last week. They were 8 pts each and I counted them. Added up to a 20 pt meal, but I had that many to spend so I didn't go over for the day. And when I have a meal I can't really count, like the Olive Garden, it's the only time I'm "bad" that day and I try to be extra good the next day. Also, being "bad" is still better than I used to eat. We used to go to Olive Garden and I'd get an appetizer, a huge plate of chicken fettucini alfredo or some other meal with a ton of cream sauce, a 1/2 dozen breadsticks (with alfredo sauce to dip them in) and dessert. And I'd eat it ALL, even if I was stuffed! Last time we went I had a lot of salad, 2 breadsticks and DH and I split one entree between us. WAY better than I used to eat. (DS was whining about the lack of dipping sauce and dessert - I told him to shut up and be greatful I still let him get the fettucini alfredo.)

I really think it's seemed easier this time for three reasons: (1) because of DH doing it with me so I'm not feeling deprived. (2) because I have a different attitude this time. I'm counting everything, but I'm not really thinking of it as a "diet" this time, I'm thinking of it as learning how to eat for the rest of my life- because I know I'll have to to keep it off. And also (3)because of this forum - it's really a big help to me to know that there are other people who understand what it's like to be over 300 lbs. Do you know you are the only people in the world - other than my Dr. - who know how much I weigh? I love you guys!

And I KNOW this "easy" stuff isn't going to last...I see the plateau ahead and it's a scary place...so I'm enjoying easy while I have it!

Dogpal: One of the first things I did was try to eat slower. It really did help. I always eat at my desk, which can really lead to scarfing it down...so I try to type while eating...can't eat very fast when your hands are doing something else. I also worked on my small talk at dinner - which my son loves and my husband tolerates-barely. (He's from one of those "shut up and eat" families!)

Well, lunch is over - typing is too!

Last edited by Lilion; 05-10-2005 at 01:49 PM. Reason: because I can't spell
Lilion is offline   Reply With Quote