Old 01-06-2005, 02:49 AM   #1  

Red face Embarrassing thoughts/not for the squimish

Okay, here goes....

One of the sick weird reasons that I think has previously kept me from being successful is the fear of what our bodies look like after the major losses of weight.

And now with all the 'Reality TV', I have seen my fears on the screen.

When I was 20something and I was almost 300lbs, I lost over 100lbs, but the skin almost all shrunk back, but now at almost 40yrs and having been over 300 12yrs and over 350 lbs for over 6 or 7 yrs, I know it wouldn't.

Fact is I have lost almost 50lbs, and already I see a big problem. And I have another 100 to go. My stomach is flopping worse, I can't get a bra to fit right, there is so much excess fatty hanging skin under my armpits, almost like extra side boobs!!

and my upper thighs!!! don't get me started there!!

Anybody else got concerns about this?

I have been tring to make myself understand that the rolls of fat are more unattractive than excess skin, but STILL.....

My friend has the bypass done, and I know that they will be giving her the tummy tuck later, all covered by the insurance because of the original approval for the bypass, so I'm wondering if the insurance companies would pay for one for someone that lost it themselves....I mean that tummy hanging over causes physical problems as well has emotional....I mean I would think that making a person feel better about themselves would help them keep off the weight therefor lowering costs down the road for the insurance companies.
SEARCHING4ME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2005, 03:18 AM   #2  

Hey there! I know just what you are talking about. I had bypass surgery a year and a half ago and lost 110 pounds and boy o boy do I have some hangy skin, including my boobs. They are nothing but skin. I am having a tummy tuck on the 24th (insurance is paying) as well as breast implants (I am paying). Excess skin is excess skin no matter how you lose the weight. I would think insurance would pay for it either way. Be sure to send pics. That sure does the trick. I was denied at first, but after I sent pics I got approval in just over an HOUR!! The pics must have scared the heck out of 'em!!!
Anyhoo, congrats on your weight loss!!
Jen
Jehari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2005, 03:29 AM   #3  
Dancing those pounds away

Evilyn ... I can totally relate to everything you said.
The bathroom by my home office/guest room has the toilet sitting smack dab in front of a HUGE MIRROR. I have to FACE the reality of my obesity daily. It is NOT a pretty sight. In fact.. it has been the cause of some depression spells on occasion. LOL

BUT... no matter how saggy, flappy, ugly I get from losing this MASSIVE amount of weight.... I will still be better off with the flappy skin than with all that skin FULL OF FAT !! Hopefully I will then be able to fit these fat arms in long sleeves to hide some of it.

As far as insurance paying for the surgery if you don't have WLS first....
don't hold your breath. What a joke.
Insurance will pay for men to get an erection (which they are to call their doctors if it lasts for more than 4 HOURS .. lol ) ... but they won't pay for many birth control for women. ... or many cancer treatments for women. And they don't pay for your self esteem to be better.

Before anyone tells me how wrong I am... I admit there are some exceptions.
But I also know... they consider skin removal to be cosmetic for most of us.
I post on another site where many many have tried to get this surgery approved.... unsuccessfully. But to even have a fighting chance... get your doctor to document rashes under the folds, pain in your back from your large boobs, any ailment you can come up with to justify the "need" to have this cosmetic surgery done.
2cute2Bfat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2005, 11:47 AM   #4  
Warrior of Grace

Thanks for this thread, evilyn. This is an unpleasant thought, but I must post...

If a man has an erection for more than 4 hours, he should call ME!

Seriously, I wanted breast reduction for severe back pain and so I could exercise, but my insurance wouldn't pay for it until I got within 30% of my goal weight. Vicious cycle! Well, I got breast cancer and got a full mastectomy. My back pain is GONE! Now I can exercise and lose the weight.

As far as saggy skin. I never thought about it, but it's going to be there... Better than fat, but I really wanted to be kinda tight, too. I'm lifting weights. Is there anything else we can do to firm up that saggy stuff, or is it just a fact of life?

Bummer...
Qadira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2005, 01:47 PM   #5  

Qadira - what a crack-up!

Evilyn - Yes I have thought of this, but if I could live like a normal person again I would have plactic surgery and pay for it myself in a heartbeat. But this problem is so far away from me now, I don't know if it will ever present itself. I expect with my age and weight history I will NEVER lose that much weight without bariatric surgery, which I have not ruled out. Insurance companies are not in business to take care of your health, they are in business to make cash money; if your excess skin is costing them money, they will pay to have it removed. If not, what do they care?
therubyslippers!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2005, 05:19 PM   #6  
Determined

Oh evilyn, it is one of my biggest fears. You know, I don't have money. .and I'm afraid of medical procedures.. and I'm stil a virgin so I already have all these insecurities about that "first" time.. I want to be beautiful and I've seen those after pictures as well.. and I already see that my breasts sag a great deal (I can barely see my nipples! They hide!)

I think its so much worse that I've grown up as an "artist" a lot of my mind and attraction is in the beauty of the body.. and yes I can find beauty in all bodies.. but I still love that classic, curvy, voluptious womanly body with the perky breasts and nice firm butt.. all of that.. and I'm so afraid that no matter what I do I wont be able to accomplish that without the aid of plastic surgery

I've heard that toning while losing weight can help.. though I'm not really sure.

Bah. !
cdtobehealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2005, 05:50 PM   #7  

There is an excellent FAQ on the maintainers board on this very topic. Please take a look -- it will answer a lot of your questions.

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=36040
funniegrrl is offline   Reply With Quote