Old 06-23-2004, 10:22 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 278/267.2/180

Height: 5'7"

Default 300+ And Ready To Try Again...#540

God Bless America!

We want to invite everyone to join us in our journey.
We share laughter and tears.
We share what works for us and what doesn't.
We recently started a Topic of the Day.

Monday........Motivation Monday
Tuesday.......Tuesday Tips
Wednesday.....Wednesday Weigh ins
Thursday......Thankful Thursday
Friday........Friday Facials, Fingernails and Fun
Saturday.......Sit-up Saturdays - any physical activity
Sunday.........Soup and Salad Sunday - recipes

These are not required topics ...just ideas to share. We have found them very helpful. We also share heartaches and fears...joys and celebrations.

WELCOME!
Terri in MO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2004, 11:53 PM   #2  
Michigan Old-Timer

Terri: Do I bring out the in you???? That's why I said I need to get over the "wasted food" mentality. Where I was today, I saw a guy digging in a garbage can and I thought, gee, if I had of already done a job or two I could have helped him out. But alas, I was on my way TO the first job.
I'll stay out of it, I promise.

LOOK, it's before midnight and I can say: Nitey nite.
thinthinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2004, 07:10 AM   #3  

Sorry Thin!!! I do have a touch of . I would make an workout trainer.

This is a question out of curiosity, not butt kicking. You said you have to test the temperature of it. So do you have to order food and eat it to test it? Or is there something else?

How great that you're able to go to bed before midnight for a change. You and 2Cute amaze me about how you guys function on so little sleep.

Curves will be calling your name soon.

Howdy to everyone else!!!! With all the animal activity that we've had going, I don't even have time to sit down like a blob anymore. I certainly am only eating at mealtimes. DH has done really well this last two night at having food ready so that we're not eating out after we've been to the horses. Thank goodness for the crockpot.

I have to get to work early this morning so I better cut this short. No bike riding yesterday or today. Hopefully tomorrow!

Have a great day ladies and make it a healthy day!
Old 06-24-2004, 09:37 AM   #4  
a work in progress...

Default G'mornin' all...

I'm just back from another gym date with my sweetie! Actually, he had already done some laps before I got there (we're both coming off the night shift) so, we swam a bit together and then soaked in the whirlpool a bit and he was ready to go. I gave him a smooch and sent him on his way and then headed back into the pool for an 8:00 Aquacize class. Great workout. Feels good to move the bod...it really does!

Welcome, Angela! Wow, we're getting a lot of newbies lately! Just what we need...an injection of new ideas and perspectives. We're all here to help each other, give support, share ideas, thoughts, problems, you name it! So post often, my little newbies....before you know it, you'll feel like you've been here forever.

Uh, Thin...I was thinking the same thing about why you would have so much fast food in your little mitts! Then I remembered that you said you wont even have to get out of your car to do this job. Soooooo: Take it to a homeless shelter, bring it home to the boys, give it to the dog...or just throw it out! IT'S ARTERY CLOGGING, FAT *** PRODUCING, BAD FOR YOU, JUNK!!!

Gotta run...I need just a few hours sleep and I'll be good to go. I'm off now til Saturday night.

see you all soon!

Last edited by katrinabgood; 06-24-2004 at 09:41 AM.
katrinabgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2004, 09:38 AM   #5  
BELIEVE!

Good Morning!
Just a quickie post --- seems to the norm for me lately - sorry! Thanks for asking about my job review --- it went well --- I didn't get the whopping raise that Lucky got, but I also didn't get extra work piled on. I got a reasonable raise and lots of great compliments. Great with me!!!

The whole IVF game is beginning again....yesterday I had $2,000 worth of meds delivered to my house. Yep - that's with insurance coverage. I am waiting for a call from my Dr. as to when I go back in - either tomorrow or Monday I think. Then the shots start late next week. Watch out --- hormonal Barb heading your way!

Gotta dig into work...I don't usually have a lot of meetings during the day, but somehow today I have 4-5 piled back to back.

Make it a Great Day!
BarbPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2004, 09:56 AM   #6  
Dancing those pounds away

Smile

Good morning... good morning... good morning !!!!

I was a busy girl yesterday. Those of you from Spring Fling will understand my sense of accomplishment.
I cleaned my utility room !!!!
It is soooo empty it ECHOS OS os os os in there now.
For the rest of you .. visualize a room soooo full of junk that you can't see the washer or dryer... and there is only a narrow path to walk through.
I bet the spring flingers didn't even know I had a sink in there too.
Well today it is CLEAN !!!! and practically EMPTY !!!! LOL

Thin.... I have to join in with Terri...
PUT DOWN THE FAST FOOD !!
PUT DOWN THE COMPUTER MOUSE !!!!
Listen to Terri... use this free time for CURVES NOT for more jobs.
And remember you can FREEZE the food for your sons to eat later.
Scooter .. CONGRATULATIONS on your 4 lbs.
We will patiently wait for your return after surgery and pray for you in the mean time.

Angela... If just thinking about your EX -DH upsets you that much....
...then don't meet with him. You only have one life and don't spend one second doing something to be a people pleaser for an EX.

Andria.. I am sorry about your struggles with school affairs. Hopefully it will all work out in the end for you. Hang in there.

Terri... I loved your quote...
Quote:
I do have a touch of I would make an workout trainer.
You cracked me up.
Congrats on your smaller portion sizes.

Okay... gonna go be productive again. Tomorrow is garage sale day with my daughter. She has a nice little business buying books, cds, etc at garage sales and reselling them. Do any of you know anything about RUSSIAN books? She found some really nice books about and written in Russian. The Russian ballet and many other topics. She can't list them because we can't read the titles.

Last edited by 2cute2Bfat; 06-24-2004 at 10:08 AM.
2cute2Bfat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2004, 10:15 AM   #7  

Kat and Barb.. you posted while I was posting too.

Kat... your morning workout with hubby sounds soooo "special". There is NO WAY my husband would go to a gym with me. Be sure to appreciate that dear hubby.

Barb.. WOW !!! $2,000 of your money "after" the insurance. I pray this will be the one to work. GOOD LUCK !!!!

Lucky... I forgot to congratulate you on your 20% raise. You don't hear of that large of a raise anymore. Usually they say you need to do more work and oh by the way.. for less money. LOL CONGRATULATIONS !!!!!
Old 06-24-2004, 11:09 AM   #8  
Hang In There

Okay girls, this is a heart barring post, so get ready. I've been under lots and lots of stress this last year with opening the new facility and trying to please my husband/boss with the way I do things. They say opposites attract and boy are we different in our "organizational skills" for lack of better word. Anyway working together is very stressful.

I've been so up and down, up and down, and BACK up and down with my motivation and resolve to lose weight that THAT is getting stressful. I try todo everything right, I eat the right things, I exercise, but I still don't loose anything. I debated about WLS, but DH is totally against it, so I guess that is out of the question. I'm struggling with Dr Phil, I read it agree with it, and SAY I'm going to follow it, but alas ssdd!!!

Yesterday I started something new. I went to a WELLNESS CLINIC for my first of 10 session for a better life. It is a combination stress-releiver, weight loss relaxation, cure everything that's wrong with you thing. It starts out setting ina massage chair that massages every part of your body while listenting to a hypnosis tape. The tape is spoken by a female voice, but I'd swear it was Dr Phill talking. (She must have read his book) Then there was the accupuncture session, then the question/answer/lecture session with the doctor. Today I went back for session #2 and #3 will be next Tuesday. There are also vitamin/herbal supplement to take. Last night I could tell no difference, but this morning I had to make myself eat some breakfast. I'll let you know how the rest of the day goes.

I debated on telling you about this, I haven't told DH yet either. I feel like a failure for not being able to do it on my own, but on the other hand if this will work for me...it may be the right thing that I needed to get my life back in prespective.

Okay, now I'm done, now that I've told you, I'll keep you informed of my progress.
ageoldie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2004, 03:11 PM   #9  

Barb, That sounds like a GREAT thing to do for yourself. We all need all the support we can get, and if you feel you need more than you had, finding more is the best thing you could do. I get the impression maybe your hubby wouldn't agree, but this is about you and your body and your life, isn't it?

Personally, the only times I've been able to lose weight have been when I've been able to control stress in my life sufficiently to allow me to have some time to focus on weight loss, as well as the serenity to make use of my will power. Whatever it takes to find that balance is worth doing for your physical and mental well-being.

Hang in there,

Angela
Angela_aka_Alice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2004, 05:36 PM   #10  
Progress..not perfection

Red face Hey...hey, remember me?

Your little friend from Tennessee? Well, technically not little, but you know what I mean.

I've had you guys on my minds for the last several days now, so I thought I'd hop over here and see how things were going. It was so nice to skim down the page and recognize some familiar faces. (or avatars, as it were)

Things are pretty much the same around here..... busy, busy, busy.

After working almost four pitiful years as a temp at his company, dh was FINALLY hired full time and as agrivated as we are that it took so long, we are even more thrilled. I guess we shouldn't complain though because there are far many others that have been there longer than him that are still a temp. His new job is amazing. He is a quality technician (basically an auditor) and he has his own office and all the perks. He even has a company paid for cell phone. I suppose he thinks his $hit don't stank now! Best of all..... we finally have insurance!! Glorious, glorious insurance so now I get to go to all those lovely doctor visits.

Now, I guess we should address the weight issue because as we all know.... it's always looming there somewhere. Basically, I suck. I don't think I could stay OP to save my life, which ironically..... would do that. I've been in horrible shape here lately. My ankles have been swolen for a month and I just can't seem to get them to go down. My Dr. gave me some lasix (water pills) and they help.... but they're still swolen like you wouldn't believe. Some days, it looks like I have elephantitis. I am HUGELY out of shape too. I can barely walk around leisurely in Walmart without breaking into a pouring sweat. My bp has been really high too.

My Dr. ran lots of bloodwork, but the only thing he could find was that my cholesterol is too high. It was 252. I suppose I should be thankful that is all he found, but my bp is still pretty high.

So, I guess the main reason I've stopped by is to tell you that I've made a decision. If everything works out, I'm going to have WLS. (Weight Loss Surgery) I know.... I know. You probably aren't feeling any different than I've felt. I also want to apologize to anyone here that has ever had WLS for my "easy way out" thinking mentality. It is NOT the easy way out.....in truth, it is the hardest decision I have ever had to make.

Am I scared? Of course I am. But I'm more scared to live my life the way I've been living it.... if you can call it that. When I weighed on the doctor's scale last week, it was the first time I ever weighed more than it would register. It only goes up to 355 lbs. so that should tell you something. I weigh more now than I've ever weighed in my life.

And the fact is..... I just don't have faith in myself anymore. I just don't believe that I can do this without some type of help. I actually found a WW booklet the other day from 1992 and my starting weight was 320 lbs. and here it is..... 12 years later and I weigh 35-40 lbs. more now than I did then.

I have tried every weight loss diet known to man. Weight Watchers, FormU3, Richard Simmon's Deal A Meal, various pills..... Fen Fen, Metabolife, chitosol, various other forms of "dieting"....slimfast, dexatrim, calorie counting, Atkins and South Beach. You name it, I've done it. The fact is, I'm 34 years old and my life is passing me by. I watch out the window with misery as dh & the boys leave to go camping, baseball games, movies and everything else my weight won't let me do.

Although I may not have expressed my thoughts over the last couple of years, I have thought about WLS off and on.... several times, but I've always let any thought I had about it fall along the wayside because every time I thought about checking into it, I'd read a horror story and it would stop me in my tracks. But you know what? I'm not naive and I know for every bad experience, there are a hundred good ones. You don't hear about all the thousands of people that have had the surgery and are leading happy lives for the first time in their life, you hear about the one that went awry. It's kinda like rottweilers. You don't hear about all the ones that are used as police dogs to help keep the public safe. You don't hear about the ones that visit the sick and elderly or lead the blind. You hear about the one that wasn't trained properly and it hurt someone.

In case you're wondering however, I haven't completely lost my mind. I am NOT having the gastric bypass. If all works out ok, I will be having lap band surgery. If you're interested, here are a couple of links:

This is the doctor I've chosen to do the surgery:

Dr. Ponce

He is the head physician at the Gastric Banding Institute:

Gastric Band Institute

I have researched this long and hard and I actually feel quite fortunate that this doctor is in the next town, only about 20 minutes away. Some people have traveled from all over the United States to have their surgery performed by this doctor.

Lap Band surgery is far less invasive than gastric bypass, not to mention it is completely reversible, there is no cutting of the abdominal wall and ALL my organs stay intact. Worst case scenario..... the band "slips" or erodes and it can be taken out.

I still have TONS to do before this will even come to pass though. My doctor was actually the one who brought it up to me at my last visit with him. Although as some of you might remember.... I don't make it a habit to go to the doctor often, anytime I have ever been to the doctor, it has been to Dr. Swan. He is a wonderful physician. No matter if it's the 1st or the 101st time he's seen you, he always walks in, takes your hand to shake it and then lays his other hand on top of yours, looks right at you and says, "Hi Tina (or whoever), how are you today?" He never makes you feel like you are "Patient #101" of the day. He never rushes you or makes you feel stupid. He sits down and listens to everything you have to say and you never feel like he's got a ton of others waiting on him..... he makes you feel like you are the only one in the office.

Anyways..... as I'm sitting there on the examining table, telling him about my ankles, back pain, profuse sweating, chest & left arm pain and he's listening and asking me questions back, he asks the one thing that almost made me fall off the examining table..... He said, "Tina, I've seen you three times in the last four years and the lowest weight we've seen you at was 302 lbs. Have you ever thought about WLS?" Now... I KNOW there are no guarantees. I KNOW that he can't promise me anything. But I also know that in the past when I have inquired about certain weight loss pills, he has discouraged me. I know that he can't promise me that everything will be alright, but the fact that he would even suggest it, really got me to thinking.

SO..... I started doing some research. As a matter of a fact, I've become addicted to every website there is on lap band surgery. I've went to a lap band message board that is just for people who've had surgery or are thinking about it and have asked every question and read every topic that I can.

This is not something that I decided overnight. There have been many deciding factors. The largest of which is the actual doctor that would be performing my surgery and the fact that one of my oldest friends just had it done by the same doctor and by a twist of fate did I even hear about it. I've known this lady since I was probably 8 years old but since we switched churches years and years ago, I haven't seen her in a very long time. After I started looking into it, I heard quite by accident that she had it and she has been quite the voice of support and has answered question after question for me.

As I was saying though..... I still have a VERY long way to go. I'm going to visit my PCP next Thursday and inform him of my decision.... so he can write the letter of medical necessity. The bariatric surgeon I've chosen requires you to attend one of his seminars before you schedule an appt for the initial consultation, so I have to wait till July 22nd before I can even do that. Then after the initial consultation, if all goes well..... we have to submit everything to the insurance company and that's when the real struggle begins. More than likely, no matter how many health problems I have.... no matter how many years I've tried to lose weight and failed, I will probably get denied and then we'll have to appeal. Probably half or even more have to appeal. Then..... if all goes well with the insurance company, we go through all the pre-surgery stuff, up until the big day. All in all, I'm quite sure I won't have the surgery till sometime in 2005. It is quite frustrating for me, but I must learn patience... something I don't have a lot of.

I guess the bottom line is.... I'm tired of living my life this way and I just don't have faith in myself anymore. I just don't think I can try again.... because somewhere in the back of my mind, I know I'll fail again. I know that no matter how well I do, how strong I am.... how MUCH I believe I'm going to do it this time.... there just never is a "this time". "This time"... turns into "next time" and "next time" turns into "tomorrow" and "tomorrow" turns into "Monday" and "Monday" turns into.............. NEVER.

So, before I waste anymore precious time, before I lose another second with my dh and boys, I'm going to fight, with everything I have, because the moment I enter the operation room, I change my life forever. I am not ashamed of any of the choices I have made just as I am not ashamed that I have a problem with food.

I hope you keep me in your thoughts and prayers and I sure would like to come back and visit with you.

P.S. Tony STILL rocks!!!
QueenB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2004, 08:17 PM   #11  

barb g. YOU ARE NOT A FAILURE. seems to me you are doing something for yourself and that is a hard thing for a woman to do, good luck.
\queen b i only know you from lurking. sounds like you are doing your homework. do what you feel is best for you and good lluck also.

hi everyone else. pat
paperdoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2004, 10:16 PM   #12  

Barb.G - I am so proud of you. You recognize that its behavior that you need to change and you're taking steps to get there. You've taken a big step because you're going for help for permanent changes; not a quick fix.

Quick fixes don't solve the emotional issues. They don't solve the poor behaviors that got us to where we are.

The massage and acupuncture sound wonderful!

Keep your spirits up!
Old 06-24-2004, 11:39 PM   #13  
Changin' my ways :)

S/C/G: 338/298/180

Height: 5'6"

You know what I absolutely adore about this board and group of women? It is how we all come together to support each other no matter what approach or weight loss method is chosen. Through all our differences and all our similarities, we find balance.

Andria
qsilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2004, 12:24 AM   #14  
Michigan Old-Timer

Hi girls! I'm making it in here before midnight, but I'm betting I don't make it to bed before midnight and my eyes will barely stay open. But I figured if I read and don't post, I'll be too far behind when I come back tomorrow so I might just as well do it and get it over with.

Terri: You can be anytime, baby! It's just what I need right about now. I'm glad that you and DH are getting to ride every night. I'm sure that as he rides the bike and the horse his legs will get stronger. You'll have to ask him to write out his crock pot recipes for us. I figured I'd ask you, but it seems like YOU don't cook much. Like I should talk. But I probably could manage the crock pot. Oh, and just for your information, NO I do not have to TASTE the food to check it's temperature. There are more scientific means: like a THERMOMETER!!!

Katrina: More gym dates??? WOW, this could be habit forming!!! * I liked your rendition of "IT'S ARTERY CLOGGING, FAT *** PRODUCING, BAD FOR YOU, JUNK!!!" But it's the "FAT *** PRODUCING" part that really got me!! Been there, got that!!!!

BarbPA: Congrats on your positive review. That's wonderful! * I'm hoping this time your IVF takes and a little bambino will be on the way for you guys soon.

2cute: My my but you HAVE been productive! Have fun with the garage sale. Make lots of moulla! Then when your daughter moves to MI you can come up and help her move!

Barbg: GOOD FOR YOU!!! [[[hugs]]] I'm glad you're going and doing something special for yourself. We all know that stress and emotions are some of the worst sabatours of weightloss and maybe the massage, accupunture and hypnosis will banish some of that and the effect will be some weightloss success. I wish you the best. Do keep us posted. Even if it's not the "cure all", it could be VERY helpful.

Angela: I'm with you on eatting more when I'm more stressed. Get that under control and some of the rest of our lives will fall in line. The big question is HOW to de-stress. * On the EX or soon-to-be-EX, if he gives you such a fit, just tell him, "I'm moving on and so should you." No need to make yourself crazy.

Tina: How nice to see you! I see you've got a new Tony pic. Sorry he's not doing so well this year. Honey didn't go to the MIS race last weekend. It was the first time in about 10 years that he hasn't gone. Stayed home though and watched it on TV. * Congrats on DH's new position. The insurance is the big thing. #1 Son is working for a company that doesn't offer any, not even that he can buy into and it's killing him to stay on DH's insurance through COBRA. I just keep hoping the owner will reconsider at some point or DS will find a new job. * I read your post with great interest. I'm glad you have made a decision for yourself. It seems like you've really done your homework on this one. I found it interesting that you would come back to tell all of us when you found it so easy to walk away from us. Do you think maybe you've missed us as much as we've missed you? I hope so, because tis true, we HAVE missed you! [[[hugs]]] I hope you'll be back often.

Pat: Nice to see you popping in.

Andria: Yeah, we are a bunch, aren't we???

Mary: Do you have dates for your trip to MI yet? When you do, give me the heads up so I can pencil something into my calendar. I would hate to miss seeing you if you get up here like I did the last time.

Lucky: Hope you are recouperating from the shock of the raise. Take care of yourself.

Jen: Are you out there honey??? I've been thinking about you alot the last couple of days. Did you make it to the States? Is your honey coming home in July like promised? I sure hope all is well with you. Hope you're peeking in and will let us know soon.

Well, Doris-sitting was a real handful today. We went from happy, talking and laughing to just totally sobbing. Not me, her. It was a real roller coaster day for her. The thing I found troubling was that she has really deteriorated in the past week and now can barely walk. You have to lead her, walking backwards to go to the bathroom and back to sit in her chair. Her legs and back were very unsteady and she really was leaning on me. Now this is not that big of a deal except I could really feel it in the low back. That, and she was so confused that she kept wanting to sit on the floor. I almost dropped her twice. My girlfriend is looking for a facility now because SHE can't handle her either. I told her when she got home from work that I wasn't sure how much longer I could do this. I told her the mood swings didn't bother me, I could deal with that, but I'm afraid Doris will get hurt. If she falls and breaks a hip or something then everyone will be in a pickle. I think this is going to be the straw, if you know what I mean. My friend just can't handle her anymore. Say a prayer, if you will, for her strength. This is going to be a rough time for her.

Guess I'm going to take off and try and get some sleep. I didn't do too bad, took about 20 minutes to read and write. I knew if I let it go til tomorrow that it would take much longer to catch up.
thinthinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2004, 01:25 AM   #15  

Tina... what a surprise !!! I am happy to see that beautiful face again.
Did you ever see those cute commercials I wrote to you about with Tony racing those little remote cars? You never replied to my emails or PMs. I always think of you when I see them.
Of course you can post here again. You are still family here.
Once family .. always family.
As for your surgery... I would never assume to know what is right for anyone else here. I wish you the best of luck with your decision. I know they also have a section for WLS chicks here too. You may want to check it out too. WELCOME HOME.

Barbg .... Your new Wellness Clinc sounds great. It sounds like a good program to me. When I took the time for daily meditation years ago it sure helped me. I practiced relaxation techinques and they helped too. I lost 80 lbs back then. Healthy food choices, relaxation/meditation and walking with conviction. I am looking forward to hearing about your experience.
Be easy on your husband as far as him not wanting you to have WLS.
He has been there and done that... and he does not want you to have to go through what he did. Even though he is a success... he knows how close he came to dieing and the pain. He doesn't want that to happen to you.
If your business is being successful... maybe you should consider hiring someone to work with your husband instead. I could never work with my husband. LOL

Angela... I agree with your quote.
Quote:
Whatever it takes to find that balance is worth doing for your physical and mental well-being.
Balance...it is definitely a plus if not a requirement. If you are full of stress there is no room for peace. Learning to deal with stress is soooo important.

Pat... good to see you again. I agree with you 100% .... Barb g is NOT a failure.
None of us are failures. The older you get the harder it gets. We get sooooo stuck in our old way of living.... and eating. But it is not impossible. WE CAN SUCCEED !!!

Andria...yes...we are a great group of unconditional acceptors.
No one claims to have all the answers ... we just speak for ourselves.
What works for us .. and what doesn't.
I love it when everyone shares their own experiences... even if they don't match each others.

Thin.... I must have just missed you. We are not having a garage sale... we are going to garage sales. We are doing the SPENDING ... not the earning. Ours is more fun. LOL
I am sorry to hear about Doris and your friend. It is a no win situation for everyone.

Today is my dad's one year anniversary of his death. I can't believe it has been a year already. In one hand it seems like yesterday... and in the other hand it seems like it has been YEARS. WEIRD

Okay... gotta go. I have to be in bed by midnight. I am getting up at 6am. Ooppss.. it is already past midnight. Good night all.

Last edited by 2cute2Bfat; 06-25-2004 at 01:32 AM.