Old 01-10-2009, 02:12 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 290/275/140

Height: 5'4

Default Question about running while almost 300lbs

Hi everyone a quick question.. wasnt sure where to stick this. but here goes!

i really wanted to start running tha couch to 5k program. but im almost 300 lbs, im not so sure it would be a good thing for me. should i lose a little first? anyone out there that is around the same weight as I (280 lbs) and is a runner? this sounds so gross, so excuse me, but i dont want my flab bouncing around... LOL and i worry about my joints. right now i exercise on a stair stepper (i just started ) i thought that might build some endurance. i odnt know.. should i just go for it? i realize every one is differant. but i NEVER see any large people running.. and im not so sure it would be good for me. i want to be a runner. i want so bad to be running by this summer. ive always admired people that do run. . so please let me know! id appreciate it! thanks!

Nayex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 02:17 PM   #2  
Made of Starstuff

I can tell you what worked for me.

I began, around 300 lbs, by building up my walking intensity. I started actually running around 250 pounds, and even now I don't run for more than a few minutes at a time. I don't want to hurt my knees or feet. (And I'm one of those people who takes things at a turtle's pace.)

My flab does still bounce around But I got a good bra, and some shorts to reduce the chub rub, and I jog in intervals.
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 02:44 PM   #3  
aka Sarah

S/C/G: 289/193/159

Height: 5'7"

I tried to start running a couple of weeks ago and managed to give myself a stress fracture. So I'd say make sure you're getting enough calcium, magnesium, and vitamin D before starting--vitamin D supplementation has been shown to prevent stress fractures, but you need the cal and mag to go along with it. I've just started supplementing with these and will attempt running again in 6 to 8 weeks, when my fracture is healed.
WarMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 03:02 PM   #4  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I remember reading that losing one pound, takes off four pounds of pressure on the knee during walking and eight pounds of pressure off while running. By that logic, when you're 150 lbs overweight, you're putting 600 lbs of extra pressure on your knees by walking and 1200 lbs running.

Physics and exercise physiology are not subjects I know alot about, so I'm not sure whether the math is correct, but I do know that the more weight you carry, the harder it is on your knees. There are very fat folks with strong knees, who probably can run and very thin folks with weak knees who probably shouldn't.

At the very least, I think you should let pain be your guide - if it hurts - stop doing whatever hurts. "No pain, no gain," really is an outdated concept. Being sore after exercise (mild aching) is one thing, but sharp or throbbing pain is a sign of injury, not progress.

I think that talking to your doctor is also a good idea. Telling him what your goals are, and asking if he thinks it would be ok, and/or what the specific risks are.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 03:13 PM   #5  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

Are you currently walking? I think I would begin there and then progress to speedwalking and then to running. It's what I did. I was afraid of injuring myself even at 215. I now run 3 miles each morning and am working to increase my distance.
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 03:17 PM   #6  
Getting healthy!

S/C/G: 275/ticker/140

Thanks for asking this! I've been wondering the same thing myself. I know I'm not in shape to start running right away but I'd like to soon. I don't want to wait until I'm 150lbs to run. I want to run now!

I already downloaded the Couch to 5k week one podcast for my iPod. Looking forward to starting soon.

As for the "flab bouncing around", I'll be going back to my old high-school trick of a good regular bra underneath a tight sports bra to minimize bounce in the chest.

Maybe because I'm fat- but when I see heavier people out running, I always think "good for them!" and hopefully that's what the rest of the world will think about me. If they don't...well, then *&#! them!

Best of luck to you on the running.
enchantedonyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 03:33 PM   #7  
Beth :]

S/C/G: 238/219/140

Height: 5'3"

It would be a good idea if you started off by walking at your normal speed then gradually build up to a faster speed, gradually change into power walking and do the same thing to change into running.

You could try running on spot first to see what it is like. Remember to breathe... I often forget this when I'm exercising! Always have a bottle of water handy as well.

Take your time and don't rush, okay? One at a time!

Much love
Beth
xx
Baz xo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 03:33 PM   #8  

thanks everyone, youve given me hope.

i think i will start out slow. buy a sturdy set of shoes and go for it. the couch to 5k program has you start out slowly anyways. . its like walk for 2 minutes jog for 1 minute kind of thing. thats how i think i can do this. an i may just have to extend that over 2 weeks instead of their inteded 1 week. but we'll see how it goes. thanks every one.

and yes, sturdy bra, sturdy clothes. i dont want ot take out someone's eye...... LOL

Ok, ive got a renewed sense of vigor.. thanks again, you all are gold.
Old 01-10-2009, 03:38 PM   #9  
Getting healthy!

S/C/G: 275/ticker/140

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nayex View Post

and yes, sturdy bra, sturdy clothes. i dont want ot take out someone's eye...... LOL
I was always more afraid of taking out my own eyes than anyone elses!

Have you ever seen the episode of Gilmore Girls (one of my favorite shows) where Babette (played by the fantastic Sally Struthers) is running across the town square to talk to Luke and she's yelling at him to wait for her and he's yelling back for her to stop running and she holding onto her chest to keep it from bouncing? I love that. It cracks me up and I'm sure that's what I'll need to do.
enchantedonyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 06:49 PM   #10  

Quote:
the couch to 5k program has you start out slowly anyways.
No, really it doesn't. It takes you to 20 minutes of running in only 5 weeks, and that's really, really inexcusably fast and it's a recipe for injury.

Go to a running store for the shoes.

Walk before you run.

Progress much slower than you think you can.

Last edited by MariaMaria; 01-10-2009 at 06:50 PM.
MariaMaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 11:52 PM   #11  

About the shoes - make sure you get good ones that are fitted correctly (a good running store)

Also, there are 2 types of "sneakers" out there....ones that more support side to side (like tennis, basketball) and ones that support more front to back (like walking, running). Good luck!!
lovemylabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 01:47 AM   #12  
The name is Maria :)

S/C/G: 325/291.9/170(for now)

Height: 5'6 1/2

oh lord I know how you feel about the flab- LOL- I hate hearing my belly flop up and down and my leggs and thighs clapping together with each step- ugh its horrendous..LOL- BUT don't let it stop you- I started ad 306 and am now 290 and I do my own version of "running" probably a fast paced walk for most but hey it's a start! I definitely recommend doing intervals run or jog for abotu 5 mins slow down walk for 5, then speed back up- it always helps you burn fat faster because it shocks your body each time you speed up and slow down. Theres not surprise that the bigger you are the harder it is on your knees and joints- I love swimming and doing exercises in the pool. since your weightless it's a great way to excericse and just as effective and not hard on your joints! I'd also talk to your doctor they'll know you best especially if you have a primary doctor.. good luck chica!
mariamherrera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 01:51 AM   #13  
Ironman in Training

S/C/G: 302/205/150

Height: 5'5

A few things... I also started out by walking at 300lbs. My goal was to start running too but I didn't start until I got down to 230 last year. I Do know heavy runners, but there aren't that many because like the others said its loads of stress on the body. Its imperitive to have proper shoes starting out... even if your walking a lot its best to get a proper pair of sneakers it will help prevent injury.

The couch to 5k porgram IS a good one but if you start out as a heavier runner it might be a too progressive of a program. It does start out slow, but there are weeks in the middle there that there are HUGE jumps that for someone our weight just isn't going to happen from week to week.

Here is how it went for me if it helps any... so like I said I started out 302 and walked and did DVD workouts until 230 Jan 08. At 230 I started a learn to run program that basically went like run 1 minute walk 4 (repeat as many times as you like... If you can't do 1 minute do 30 seconds. The next week you run 2 walk 3... etc etc etc. I repeated weeks as necessary. Moving on when you feel your body is ready for the challenge. By July I was running 1-1.5 hours straight on my longest days but by then I was down to 186 and did a few triathalons.

Another of example of how much weight impacts how hard it is to run.... I took a few months off and gained a chunk of my weight back. I only really had about 3/4 months off. I just started running again this week. As opposed to last Jan I am still farther along, but the weight makes it harder. Right now I am doing run 10 minutes walk 2 (for about an hour). My body could do more if I was lighter as my fitness is still fairly good, but it's like running with a 75lb backpack on you know?

You SO can do it but take it slowly and most of all listen to your body.

Last edited by Idealmuse; 01-11-2009 at 01:57 AM.
Idealmuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 02:05 AM   #14  
Ironman in Training

S/C/G: 302/205/150

Height: 5'5

Oh a few more things...

Enell makes great bras in big sizes for reducing some of that bounce. Compression clothing also reduces some of that bounce. It's still going to be there just not as uncomfortable.

If you don't have a fitness base at all too I agree with the others make sure you walk first and just keep walking faster as you get more fit... that and the other cardio you mentioned will help you get a cardio base going.

Because I had a cardio base before I began running even though It was really hard at first my lungs didn't feel like they were on fire like the few other times I tried running. Makes you less likely to quit!

Last edited by Idealmuse; 01-11-2009 at 02:06 AM.
Idealmuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 04:11 PM   #15  

wow thanks for all the info. i really appreciate it. from what i gathered, i think im going to wait. i'll continue my stair climber.. and walk briskly for a while. and than i think... if and when i do feel like starting to run, i'll start out on a treadmill. rather than the open road-- just in case something does happen.

thanks for all the replies. its been a big help. i was ready to just take a jaunt down the road! im glad i asked first. LOL

Last edited by Nayex; 01-11-2009 at 04:11 PM.