Old 04-29-2016, 11:50 AM   #1  

Default Hello-I am new

I wanted to post my current weight but I'm too scared to step on the scales--it holds a lot of power over me. I am aware I am well over 300 and aware my health is suffering for it. So here I am trying to change all that one day at a time. Looking for support and stories for any kind of victory...even those small steps lead to miles. I struggle continuously and have made food my enemy-its counter productive, I think.

Thanks for reading,
CarolK
carolinOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 01:09 PM   #2  
Dancing those pounds away

Hi Carol ... Welcome to 3FC Keep hanging in there. I was over 300 lbs for 16 YEARS ... I was almost over 400 for a year or more. I too struggled constantly... but I am now below 300. I still have a long ways to go ... but you can never give up. Keep reading here in 3FC ... you will find help... but it ultimately comes down to you. Keep positive ... "Attitude" is everything. Good luck
2cute2Bfat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 03:43 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 125kg/108kg/90kg

Height: 158cm

Welcome Carol! This is the best forum to be a part of if trying to lose weight. The people here are a wealth of knowledge and support. I started my journey again 3 months ago and have lost over 12 kg. Firstly, I went to the doctor and had a full medical check, where my high cholesterol was picked up. That was a huge wake up call for me. Secondly, I seen a 12 week challenge advertised at a local gym and thought that it wasn't an extended contract; it was 12 weeks of exercise and clean eating. I finished the challenge this week as the biggest loser of the group, losing 12.5kg (27.5 pounds). I haven't looked back. You need to find something that fits your life. This plan was a perfect fit for me, I eat plenty of food, and don't do a great deal of exercise and the weight is falling off me. I actually really enjoy it now! I am lucky the gym instructor is so supportive, I have to check in with her once a week to do my weight and check how my diet has been going, and if I have done enough exercise; she is firm and doesn't take any excuses but she is also really supportive and keeps me on track. Finally, never be scared of the scales, its just a number. Personally, I think that bust, waist, arm, leg, stomach and belly measurements are much more reliable than a number on a scale; use it as a measurement, but take it with a grain of salt. Knowledge is power, and you will soon like to look at the scale when it starts to go down as you lose weight. Goodluck!
caldawg89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 05:56 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 331/191/170

Height: 5'10

Hi CarolinOK and welcome

first step - admit problem... second step on scales... hmmm maybe...

some people track food - so they can see there choices - 2 options I can thing of 1 my fitness pal... great if you know how many calories you should be eating from what I can see.. some people swear by it and if you have a vivofit watch/movement tracker it works with there app x synchs
and live strong .com has a calculator there so you know what you should be eating has calorie tracker and fitness tracker etc as well as work outs...

whatever you decide welcome again
Karencat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 12:39 PM   #5  

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinOK View Post
I wanted to post my current weight but I'm too scared to step on the scales--it holds a lot of power over me. I am aware I am well over 300 and aware my health is suffering for it. So here I am trying to change all that one day at a time. Looking for support and stories for any kind of victory...even those small steps lead to miles. I struggle continuously and have made food my enemy-its counter productive, I think.

Thanks for reading,
CarolK

Hi CarolK,
So glad you are here, welcome! You are so right about small steps adding up - and that is the perfect mindset to start making positive changes. Schedule two or three 10-minute walks in your day, keep fresh fruit ready and available, and make sure to plan for healthy snacks to have around so you can stay ahead of hunger. It also helps me so much to practice what I call "environmental control" - which means getting rid of my most tempting foods and making low-calorie healthy foods ready to go. It is really make or break! Good luck!!
healthylivingalways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 06:24 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 338/335/140

starting again too! 335. I have been educating myself and eating a lot healthier. Try to do non processed, real foods, and decrease meat consumption. I am ready. I recently have researched the intermittant fasting and have been doing it for over a week and have lost 3 lbs. I think this is my new way of life. I like it. I fast for 16 to 18 hours and eat for 5 to 6 hours a day. Easy for me and I have not really counted calories at all. Just trying my best to eat nutrient dense foods.
sweetdarbygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 07:03 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 390/390/199

Height: 5'8

Welcome, this is a great place to come! Make sure you check back often! I find that when I'm engaged and chatting actively with others that are on the same journey as I am, that it's so much easier to stay focused!
workinghardatlosing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 09:50 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 346/see ticker/120

Height: 5'2

How's your journey going so far, CarolK?
alyssarof2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 05:52 AM   #9  
Determind Member

S/C/G: 323/313/168

Height: 5ft 6"

WELCOME!!!!!

I avoided the scales the majority of my younger twenties, I remember being 19 stone (266lbs) at aged 19, at this point I was working 60 hours + a week working on a bar at a holiday park. If only I stayed that weight, it would of been fantastic, but instead over the last 8 years I have slowly put it on and in Mid January this year, I stood on those damn scales. I realised that I had to see what the damage was before I went on my FINAL weight loss journey. Not so much to see how bad it got, but so that when I finally was skinny, I could proudly say that I lost this amount of weight.

I weighed in at 323lbs. I cried! I genuinely eat healthy! I drink water all day! For me, it was the realisation that I was eating to much healthy food, It was all about the calorie intake for me. My Fitness pal has been my hero! When I stop using it, I gain. I set myself a goal to lose 1lb a week, slow and steady wins the race right?? its not a new diet you are on, its a new life, a new you!!

Once you are able to change your mindset into the realisation that this is for life! you are educating yourself on food, on health, on portion control and on exercise. Only you can trial and error each food and activity and see how your body works. Become a expert in YOUR body. Then stepping on those scales will not be as big of an issue.

Good Luck!!
Scotsgal is offline   Reply With Quote