Old 01-18-2015, 09:41 AM   #1  

Default New here! Feel frustrated

I'm a woman in my 20's who can't seem to lose weight. I have restricted my calories down to 1300 (also trying to watch carbs a little) and drinking at least 80 oz of water a day. I haven't lost a pound in 3 weeks. I'll admit that I haven't exercised much, but if you compare my diet with how I was eating, it seems like it'd be impossible for me to be maintaining my weight. I'm not proud, but I would binge almost every night, consuming what had to be at least 3,000 calories (probably a lot more) just in eating binge food. Any ideas? I'm going to have my thyroid tested in a few weeks
rhanson41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 11:01 PM   #2  
There and Back Again

S/C/G: 300/289/213

Height: 5'2"

Some ideas... I have all of these... Thyroid exams of the amount of hormone levels of t3-t4 in your blood do not always show deficiencies of thyroid hormone because doctors differ in opinion on what is considered low. My doctor checked my TSH, which is called thyroid stimulating hormone to find my deficiency. My TSH was high, meaning either A) I had a pituitary gland problem, like cancer, or B) My thyroid was low, either of which causes a problem with weight. The doc performed tests and found that my thyroid was the issue. It was larger than normal. If you are an apple type, a lot of weight showing in the middle, you could have PCOS. It's not well known. Poly-Cystic Ovarian Syndrome. Cysts develop on the ovaries which cause an imbalance of hormones which causes weight gain. If you are overweight, feel tired all the time, and have trouble breathing at night, you could have sleep apnea or hypopneas that cause lack of oxygen at night, that lead to excess fatigue during the day, making one not apt to working out, causing weight gain. Sleep Apnea, and Sleep Hypopneas, cause hormonal imbalances as well. I'm not a doc, so I suggest that you tell your doc your symptoms, and ask about these things at your next visit. There are other medical issues that cause lack of the ability of losing weight. Cushing's Syndrome for instance.

It may be that you need to give it more time. The body takes a bit to adjust to changes. Also, your weight can fluctuate by as much as 3 pounds in any given day. You can retain fluid, so cut sodium down if you can, because your body tends to want to hold on to a lot of fluids when you have a lot of sodium.
tootsieroll81 is offline   Reply With Quote