Old 11-08-2014, 06:32 PM   #1  

Default I'm new...and scared!!

Hey all! I joined this site a few days ago, and have been having a blast reading all the posts....what an insperational bunch of people! To introduce myself, I'm Krista, a 35 year old "somewhat" single Mom to three girls! I live in Ontario, Canada and I'm in my last semester in college, as well as, working!
I weighed myself the other day and was surprised to see that I am 306lbs...ummm, when did that happen . I'm looking forward to getting to know all of you, and hope to gain some knowledge on what is working for everyone in terms of weight loss...this Mumma needs to get motivated!
kitdee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 06:44 PM   #2  
I Can & I Will!

S/C/G: 400 S / Ticker C / 160 G

Height: 5'7

Welcome to the forum Krista! I know that feeling when the weight overwhelms you and it's scary, but there are many friendly people here and tons of info.
Jesslan Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 06:52 PM   #3  
pick your hard

S/C/G: 240/192/145

Kitcherella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 07:07 PM   #4  

Jesslan Rose - Wow...you have lost a huge amount of weight! Congrats to you!!
Kitcherella - You have also lost an impressive amount

Thanks to you both for the welcome, it's nice to feel like you belong somewhere!! If you don't mind me asking, how did you both lose...healthy eating and working out, or have you followed a different kind of plan?
I followed Atkins many years ago and did have great success. I'm thinking about following it again, but better educating myself in regards to maintaining! Also, any advice for working out? I have a stationary bike and lots of different weights at home. I also have unlimited access to the gym at my college, but I'm not overly thrilled about shaking it infront of all the jocks! Where should I start?
Old 11-08-2014, 07:29 PM   #5  
Do you even lift, bro?

S/C/G: 125/109/110

Height: 5'3''

Welcome... Take things one step at a time. Making little changes can add up to a big change over time. Be patient with yourself and the weight loss process--it will always take longer than you think to lose any significant amount of weight.

Biggest tip: Don't restrict your calories. Eat enough so that you don't start binge eating... I eat 1,700 + calories a day to maintain 116, easily.
Aidanqm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 10:17 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 343/248/200

Height: 5'4"

Hi Krista!

Nice to meet you and welcome.

I'm also from Ontario, Canada! I'm restarting my journey, but am down from 343 to 324. I changed my diet, but not drastically. I stopped drinking pop, I eat more veggies, I've been trying to eat more chicken. These are small changes and I'm seeing results.

I agree, don't restrict your calories. I find if I deprive myself, I binge eat and all my hard work for the day goes down the drain.

As for exercise, I would recommend lots of walking, swimming, and dancing, haha. I know aerobics isn't for everyone though, but it's a great burn! I don't know how correct I am on this, but I was told working on my core will help me lose weight. For example, doing ab crunches/exercises can help get rid of belly fat... or so I've been told.
lemc87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 06:25 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 327/262.2/250

Height: 5'7"

Welcome kitdee!
Change is scary but that is what we have to do if we want to succeed.
The old way of doing things is what got us to 300+.
Good luck!
Ubee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 08:11 PM   #8  

Thanks for the welcome ladies, really appreciate it!! Great tips from everyone too
lemc87 - Where are you in Ontario, if you don't mind me asking?! I think my biggest challenge right now is giving up the oh so heavenly Tim Horton's Iced Caps....I have a serious addiction to them Trying my best and hoping for a great outcome!
Old 11-09-2014, 09:08 PM   #9  
I Can & I Will!

S/C/G: 400 S / Ticker C / 160 G

Height: 5'7

Hey Krista,

Thank you! I started out not eating after 7pm. Then I added eating less junk food and more healthy snacks. Then I started counting calories using a really easy site/app about a month ago. I also recently started walking, but just found out last week I have a condition that will require surgery in my leg. So walking is out and light aerobics are in.

A couple people mentioned not to restrict your calories too much. I definitely agree with that. Restricting can easily cause binges even if you're not a binger. I'm a grazer & emotional eater technically, but when extremely stressed and hungry I have a rare binge session. For myself I also allow occasional treats. Like a candy bar or a cookie and I refuse to let myself feel guilty about it. I honestly feel that by not cutting out sugary treats altogether is how I've actually stuck with it longer this time than any other time before over the years.

That's so funny. I was addicted to Timmy Ho's Iced Capps too! I still have one on occasion, but I'm no longer completely addicted to them anymore. I found the positive changes I've made in what I eat has somehow sunk in my brain so that now I know the healthier choice is better for me and 8-9 times out of 10 I consciously choose the right one... and then there are those days that no matter what I tell myself I'm gonna have that cappy by tonight. LOL

Last edited by Jesslan Rose; 11-09-2014 at 09:22 PM.
Jesslan Rose is offline   Reply With Quote