Closed Thread

Old 07-19-2014, 09:52 AM   #1  

Height: 5'4"

Default Ready to start a new life!

Hello, everyone. I'm Catlyn, I'm 54, 5'4" tall, and weigh 350 pounds. I have had weight problems my whole life, and have been either morbidly or super morbidly obese for most of my adult life. I had one period 23 years ago when I lost 95 pounds on a VLC/low fat diet, and kept it off for almost 5 years. But, as we all know, life, stress, and all the usual stuff had be going back go my bad habits and it all came back and more quickly. I have dieted one way or another my entire life. I've tried them all. I don't want to have surgery because it scares me, so I'm determined to do it on my own. But I need help...I've never reached out to a support group before, but I'm hoping this will be the thing that will help keep me on track this time.

As I sat at my computer yesterday, I realized that I had finally reached my breaking point, and knew right there that if I didn't take positive steps toward losing this weight, I was in big trouble. I know that I have been slowly killing myself with food, or at least shortening my life. I can't walk 2 or 3 minutes without getting winded. I injured my lower back 14 years ago, and it causes me pain every day from sitting and walking kills it. I have two bad knees, one from a high school sports injury, and one that hyper-extended 4 years ago and they both cause me pain on a regular basis. I know that these problems are exacerbated because of the amount of weight that is on those joints every day. I'm sick and tired of being sick and tired. I want a different life than this, and I'm determined to do something about it starting now!

My biggest problems are I'm a carb addict and have zero portion control. My plan is to work on my portion control, as well as eliminate bad carbs from my diet (pasta, white rice, bread and potatoes) and replace them with more healthy protein (which I normally don't eat much of but LOVE) and good carbs in the way of green leafy veg and fruits. I know it's going to be hard to change my eating habits, but I am determined to lose this weight and make for myself the life I've always dreamt of having. I hope you all can help me in my journey...I need all the help I can get!!
Old 07-19-2014, 01:43 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 85/85/55

Height: 170

Hello Catlyn! Welcome to the forum and to the new healthy life;-) You chose great aims for the start! we need to start with little steps - to help our organism to get used to new food and habbits. I wish you best of luck! Will be glad to support and help you any time;-)
Old 07-19-2014, 03:39 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 365/270.4/265

Height: 5 foot 2

At five two with a starting weight of 365 I started doing "candlelight yoga" with Sara Ivanhoe..I had to adjust some of the stretches to accompany my size but it was the greatest thing I ever did. I exercise a lot now because I don't really ache and I haven't had an injury in a l long time. Each extra pounds adds four pounds of pressure to the knees each step forward really does help the body. Sometimes that's what frustrates me about western philosophy....no pain no gain
Old 07-19-2014, 04:02 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 230/218/150

Height: 5'7"

Catlynh! Congrats on the decision to do something about it! We are with you Hun!
Old 07-19-2014, 10:08 PM   #5  

Thanks, everyone!! I will definitely look into the Candlelight Yoga. I know I have to start exercising, but it's tough when everything hurts and you're so big it's hard to move. Any other suggestions are greatly appreciated. I read somewhere about watching Zumba videos and just doing the moves while seated to start; it still gets your heart rate up and initially that's what matters so gonna give that a try, too
Old 07-21-2014, 09:07 PM   #6  

Congratulations on taking the steps to lose the weight. Remember you are worth it!!

A food scale helped me tremendously with learning portion sizes. It also helped me know exactly how many calories I was eating.

I started at 370 and I walked for exercise. A lot of days I would watch the "Walk Away the Pound" videos on youtube (on mute) and do that while watching tv. I ended up getting a fitbit, which really pushed me in to focusing on how much I moved throughout the day. I would only get about 3,000 steps a day when I started, so I made an effort to get up and walk around every hour or so. Any movement is good movement.

My best advice is just to do things in small steps. It's a journey, not a race. You got this.
Old 08-03-2014, 03:44 PM   #7  

Well, I guess I picked a good time to start this!! Just got annual blood test results back from the Dr. last week...and I'm borderline diabetic!! AHHH!! Lucky for me she said that since I had already changed my eating habits, we will wait 3 months and see if they have a positive affect on my blood sugar. So, fingers crossed I've nipped this in the bud early!! Wish me luck!
Old 08-04-2014, 02:21 PM   #8  

I'm so glad you're getting this under control while only borderline diabetic. My parents are both diabetics, lifestyle-induced, and I'm terrified of getting myself to that point. I hate watching them throw all this money into medications to manage it instead of changing their diets and losing the excess weight. You & I don't have to go through that. We're fixing this here and now, not waiting for it to get any more out of control!!!
Old 08-13-2014, 01:07 AM   #9  

I agree, icantbelieveit. My paternal grandmother had lifestyle induced Type 2 diabetes. I don't want to be the one who continues that. I have a sister who is 53, and she is also morbidly obese and pre-diabetic. We are both determined to keep the diabetes at bay and lose the weight and improve our lives. So far so good...thing are going well with me, going to check my weight in 4 days to see how things are going...fingers crossed!!
Old 08-14-2014, 07:33 AM   #10  

Crossing my fingers for you!!! We've got this!!!
Old 08-14-2014, 04:46 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 432/180/200

Height: 5'11

Welcome and best wishes in your WOE....
Old 08-17-2014, 06:26 AM   #12  

Replacing bad white foods with whole grains. I HATE whole wheat pasta so looked for something to replace it. Always wanted to try couscous, and found whole wheat couscous. LOVE it!! Won't be a steady part of my new WOE but definitely a better choice than whole wheat pasta!! Next new food...quinoa!
Old 08-25-2014, 10:26 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 297/270/145

Height: 5'3

Hi there! Just wanted to say welcome.
Closed Thread