Old 06-08-2013, 09:23 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 367/301/???

Height: 5'8

Default Do you order clothing from Old Navy???

I just found out that Old Navy offers clothing on their website in plus sizes, I was wondering if they fit true to size? I read reviews from customers, but they seem to be all over the place as far as the opinion on the fit. If anyone has ordered, I would really like to know if the fit was like what you expected. The return policy for plus sizes is mail back only, so I am trying to avoid that hassle. I don't know why they only sell plus sizes online...
Thanks!
Noggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 09:34 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 291/240.6/147

Height: 5'7"

I order a lot of dresses from Old Navy - like, LOTS. I just got in six last week.

Keep three things in mind - 1. You get what you pay for. The quality isn't great. Don't pay full price for anything because the quality just isn't there. No matter how careful you are with laundry, things pill and wear out. If you LOVE something and would like to wear it for years, wait till it's on sale and get extra. 2. Read the reviews. The sizes are all over the place but the reviews are pretty accurate. If they say order up a size, order up. If they say something is shapeless and not at all like the picture, assume that's true. 3. If it's a v neck or wrap, get a cami because you won't be able to wear it otherwise. I'm fine with this and it usually adds to an outfit instead of taking away.

Some things look like they have shape in the photos but in reality are just a big box with sleeves. Necklines will do odd things, "waists" can be anywhere from below your hips to right across your breasts. READ THE REVIEWS.

I like to wear dresses and order dozens every year but I do this knowing they really only last so long. I wait till they are on super sale because they really do have cute things, just not great quality. At all.

I find their tops are just impossible to fit - they are either huge or way too small. The pants are all shaped weird. The swim suits, IMO, don't have enough construction for a plus size person. Avoid. But if you like dresses, check them out. Just remember to read the reviews.
TheSecondHalf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 10:46 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 353/340/299 (for now)

Height: 5'5"

I use to but stop as I got tired of sending thing back due to their inconsistent sizing and the fact that plus sizes aren't sold in stores nor can you return merchandise to a store (mail order only).
Dreamgyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 11:23 PM   #4  

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSecondHalf View Post
I order a lot of dresses from Old Navy - like, LOTS. I just got in six last week.

Keep three things in mind - 1. You get what you pay for. The quality isn't great. Don't pay full price for anything because the quality just isn't there. No matter how careful you are with laundry, things pill and wear out. If you LOVE something and would like to wear it for years, wait till it's on sale and get extra. 2. Read the reviews. The sizes are all over the place but the reviews are pretty accurate. If they say order up a size, order up. If they say something is shapeless and not at all like the picture, assume that's true. 3. If it's a v neck or wrap, get a cami because you won't be able to wear it otherwise. I'm fine with this and it usually adds to an outfit instead of taking away.

Some things look like they have shape in the photos but in reality are just a big box with sleeves. Necklines will do odd things, "waists" can be anywhere from below your hips to right across your breasts. READ THE REVIEWS.

I like to wear dresses and order dozens every year but I do this knowing they really only last so long. I wait till they are on super sale because they really do have cute things, just not great quality. At all.

I find their tops are just impossible to fit - they are either huge or way too small. The pants are all shaped weird. The swim suits, IMO, don't have enough construction for a plus size person. Avoid. But if you like dresses, check them out. Just remember to read the reviews.
This is a great answer and covers everything I was going to say.

Coincidentally I wore an ON dress today I bought on sale. Their dresses are usually the only type of clothing I seem to have any luck with. Pants are always a miss for me. The sizing is all over the place. The same size can be way too big or way too small. I also don’t bother with the tops because most of them are either too short for my liking or the material is too thin and will most definitely require a cami underneath.

Top items I buy from ON:
1.Dresses
2. layering tanks
3. Active wear/lounge wear (not as concerned with the fit because I'm wearing it around the house)

I don’t find returning clothes a problem. You just print out the shipping label, tape it to the bag the clothes came in, and pop it into a UPS drop box.

Don’t be afraid of Old Navy. Haha Now that I’m losing weight I’ve been purchasing more things from ON than any other place. With a sale, you can usually get a dress for pretty cheap. Right now my shorts from last year are too baggy. Rather than buying new shorts I’m wearing dresses. I figure when they start to get too big in the waist I can just belt it and continue to wear them that way.
2fat2jump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 11:26 PM   #5  

Oh, I wanted to add...!

I just started buying dresses from Target also. I was shocked how cute they are.
2fat2jump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 03:21 AM   #6  

Thank you all so much for the info. I have a hard time buying clothing for myself, and I have never purchased anything except flips from there, so I have no idea what I would be ordering. I generally shop at the same stores and purchase the same things, in the same colors... I wanted something different so I looked up their site and they had some cute things at pretty reasonable prices...and now I think I will give it a try.
Old 06-09-2013, 07:33 AM   #7  
A determined quirky chick

S/C/G: 265/227/160

Height: 5'8"

Depending on the size, some things can end up being much bigger than you'd see at a lot of stores. If you are in the plus size section on the site, and you choose say 3x, it is much bigger than you'd see at Wal-mart or Kohls. Once back around 2006, when I was about 300lbs, I ordered from Oldnavy's plus size part of the site and the tunic was supposed to be shape-fitted but not tight or loose ... well, it ended up being so long, loose and baggy that it looked like a muumuu that was a size too big. You will most definitely want to look at the plus size sizing chart, and then measure your chest, waist, and hips to see where you match up. Some things seem truer to size than others, so I can not stress too much that you really need to measure and read the sizing charts. The quality isn't bad, but it's not like 5 star either. I think in my opinion, it's better quality than Wal-Mart, though. Certain things will pill more than others; they don't use pill-resistant technology or anything, but most things I have gotten they haven't pilled that bad. I actually have a pill shaver, and I have used it on a couple things, and they looked like new. I got it for like $10 a year or so ago, and as long as I'm careful and keep the surface flat, it won't pull or knick my things. I really like their fleece, soft lounge hoodies and pants. Their t-shirts are usually comfy as well. I don't buy stuff there for fancy occasions or anything - just casual, so don't get your hopes up if you are wanting it to be extremely high-quality dress clothes. Another place that I sometimes shop from for comfy and good quality casual stuff is Lands' End. I used to always think it was an "old lady's" store because my grandmother got lounge pants and shirts there, but I can find some half way decent looking casual stuff there, and warm winter jackets and coats. I have gotten a couple of fairly plain shirts and t-shirts that are basically nothing but a shirt or t-shirt that comes in a few different colors, but I like them because they are soft, the color seems to stay the same, and I have never had to use the pill shaver on them. They have some great static and pill resistant fleece stuff. I got a static and pill resistant light weight thermal fleece jacket from there last winter, and it kept me warm here in Iowa. Really, what it comes down to what you are really expecting and the type of clothes you want.

Last edited by Quirky Chick; 06-09-2013 at 07:35 AM.
Quirky Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 11:25 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 291/240.6/147

Height: 5'7"

Someone mentioned Target - I just got some dresses and skirts from there and I would say the quality is about the same, so that gives you a reference.

Speaking of Target, holy smoke how tall do they think fat women are???
TheSecondHalf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 11:39 PM   #9  

Thanks again for all the info...and I do Love Target! I have never tried Land's End, but I just checked out their website and I think I will give it a try.
Old 06-10-2013, 12:25 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 353/340/299 (for now)

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSecondHalf View Post
Someone mentioned Target - I just got some dresses and skirts from there and I would say the quality is about the same, so that gives you a reference.

Speaking of Target, holy smoke how tall do they think fat women are???
I love Target online. 5% off and free ship (with Red card) but you can return in-store as well. So if you need to reorder an item, you don't have to wait until your refund is processed.
Dreamgyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 01:09 PM   #11  
Warrior Princess

S/C/G: 355/299/175

Height: 5'9"

Stopped ordering from Old Navy online. Not only is it annoying they confine plus size customers to the website only, but they take FOREVER to process returns and refunds.

A couple of times I had to fight with them when they deducted return shipping out of my refund, despite it saying everywhere that online returns for plus sizes are free (since we have no other choice!). If it was available in-store, I'd probably use them for cheap layers and such, but the hassle of online only isn't worth it for their clothing in my opinion.

I have recently discovered how awesome JC Penney is. I always thought it was a store for old people, and that they'd have KMart-esque stuff, but I was wrong. Great selection, really nice stuff, and not expensive at all.

Otherwise my main places are Lane Bryant, Torrid, Asos (online), Target, and Marshalls. Good luck.

Last edited by Bridget Jones; 06-10-2013 at 01:09 PM.
Bridget Jones is offline   Reply With Quote