3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   300+ Club (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/300-club-124/)
-   -   300+ and getting fit after 40 - #294 (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/300-club/249441-300-getting-fit-after-40-294-a.html)

gggirls 01-01-2012 08:06 AM

300+ and getting fit after 40 - #294

This group is for those dealing with the challenges of being fit when you have a significant amount of weight to lose which becomes harder after age 40. If you're an old or new friend and not over 40 and feel this is the place to post, jump right in!

dgramie 01-01-2012 08:57 AM

Happy New Year!!
ruth- hubby and I stayed home alone. Our youngest and her guy went to a party with a few friends but they were back home by a few min after midnight. I didnt even plan on staying up till midnight but I did make it. Planning on going to church today and thats about all the plans I have for today.
Has anyone ever cooked cabbage in a crockpot? I have a friend who says its awesome and so easy. Guess I will be trying it today. I will let you know how it turns out.

I plan on really watching my calories today but hitting it totally tomorrow!

jentlebreeze 01-01-2012 09:48 AM

I have spent the weekend getting all the "bad" stuff packed up and donating to food bank.......cleaned shelves and replaced with good choices. Plan on preparing foods today to freeze for lunches for this next week for work I'm off to a great start, just need to stay in this zone!

Looks like snow is headed our way in Indiana today, so I will probably get out and shovel later and feel it even more later!

Looking forward to getting to know you all!

Jen

Vortex_VVV 01-01-2012 01:31 PM

Hi Jen, welcome! Sounds like you're off to a good start. Love your profile pic! I'm not so very far from you, but far enough south that I think the snow will miss us.

Deb, sorry, no help here on the cabbage. I don't cook cabbage in any way. DH is lucky to get his sauerkraut (pre-packaged) today.

I'm going to see how many POP days I can string together over the course of 2012. My "plan" today is really easy, so there's no excuse for not making today day 1. What I have to do today: record everything and count it up; exercise for 15 minutes; and get at least 4 glasses of water in.

I have one week until school starts back up. Lots to do before then, but top of the list is to get myself back on the POP wagon.

:newyear: :woo: :woo: :woo:

Angela

j-ann 01-01-2012 02:22 PM

WOW! It's January and there are folks out on the golf course here today. Won't last though. Winter's going to make another try at us starting tomorrow afternoon. It's 50º today. The high for Tues. might be 20º if we're really lucky but then we're back above freezing by Thursday. December put us behind about 3.5 feet of snow for the season. Hope Mother Nature doesn't decide to play catch-up.

I took another big bag of jeans and slacks to the church charity bin yesterday. I'm trying to make even thinking of doing any regaining really hard & expensive.

The New Year came in while I slept but at 1:15 AM someone who either couldn't read a clock, or ran out of beer, decided it was time to light fire crackers on the street behind us. I was pi$$ed, to put it mildly.

Food cravings are back under control, I hope. Yesterday was OP and so far today I'm good.

Welcome Jen. It's nice to see a new face.

Everyone have a super, OP, 1st day of the year.

Vortex_VVV 01-01-2012 09:53 PM

Okay, not quite bedtime, but I think I can put today in the books. Though I ate more calories than I would have liked, I met all my goals today, so I'm counting this as my first day POP for the year.

Tomorrow, POP means <2000 calories, 15 minutes intentional exercise, and 4 glasses of water. I'm going to work my way down to my target calorie zone by next week, I hope.

How did the rest of you ring in the new year?

gggirls 01-02-2012 07:10 AM

Welcome Jen! Sounds like you have a great plan lined out.

Judy - scares me to think winter is late getting started. We had 65 on Saturday. Ready to get it over with - c'mon spring.

Angela - yeah for day 1 POP - today will be my first POP day of 2012.

Ruth - is the house on the market yet? Happy new year.

Heather, Deb and everyone else - let's string together lots of POP days - we've done it before and we'll do it NOW.

Stay strong!

Heather 01-02-2012 08:27 AM

Hi all! I'm with you!! I need to get back on track!

Classes start tomorrow, and I will go to work today to get ready. Already packed lunch and snacks and I think I know what dinner is tonight. I'm detoxing from sugar and hope that helps.

dgramie 01-02-2012 08:38 AM

Im ready to string OP day together!! I am so miserable and the weight is way up. The ticker reflects the weight and it makes me sad to look at it. TIme to start moving that thing back down.

The cabbage was awesome. I cut up the sausage in the bottom and place the cabbage on top, added a bit of water(less than one inch) and cooked it on high for 4 hours. I heard on low for 8-9 is perfect. I plan to eat the left over cabbage today. I will be skipping the sausage to high is sodium.

We are getting cold weather starting today but I saw we are warming up again to the 50s by the weekend. I hope we continue to have a mild winter.

j-ann 01-02-2012 11:12 AM

So far so good for me. The first day of the year was OP!

Cold and windy here. Snow expected tonight. Up to 9"! Think I'm going to hunker down and stay in tomorrow. We'll see about Wed. as it gets closer.

ANGELA: Good plan to get you back in the groove.

dgramie 01-02-2012 08:15 PM

I had a bump in the road but survived it and stayed within my calorie limit. I got invited out to mexican for lunch. We all know how easy that can mess us up. I baked chicken breast for dinner to go with a huge veggie salad.

Heather 01-02-2012 10:42 PM

One day, POP!!!

Vortex_VVV 01-02-2012 11:11 PM

WTG Judy, Deb, Heather!

POP here today, too, though I started drinking too late and now I'm full of water. So tomorrow I'll definitely have to start drinking the decaf stuff earlier.

Cheers~~

Angela

dgramie 01-03-2012 06:39 AM

I was looking forward to weighing this morning and step on the scale and it said LO..and I know its not my weight.LOL time to replace the battery.
Hubby goes to the dr today and I expect to see med changes. His glucose has been staying to high. He is trying to eat better so maybe she will cut him a little slack but I kinda doubt it. His dr is pretty moody and today is the first day back at work for them. LOL
Im looking forward to a new season of biggest loser starting tonight.:)
If I can make myself work hard this next few months I would love to show a good weight loss during the season of bl.

Thinking a big pot of soup sounds good for today, loads of veggies in it!

We can do this!! Lets make this our year!!

gggirls 01-03-2012 07:14 AM

POP for me too! Let's string this energy together - we can do this! I was stuffed at the end of the day and ended up at 1364 calories - that's a lot of good choices. Not sure about today's menu but it will be healthy.

Stay strong!

j-ann 01-03-2012 07:42 AM

POP for me too!

Too cold to run around outdoors. Think I'll stay in and pay bills. :(

dgramie 01-03-2012 07:54 AM

I have a stack of them to pay today also judy. yuck!!!

Iwillbe 01-03-2012 08:22 AM

Good morning ladies.....BRRRR! cold this morning!

Carol, no the house is not on the market yet. Oldest daughter thought we should wait a month or so. She thought the yard in full bloom would help with curb appeal. I am sure she is right about that. I have some lovely early spring flowers.

Yep, I am paying bills as they come in. Does it seem to you that the first of the month comes around more often than it should?:lol:

I hate to admit it, but I am still not 100% back op. I start each day off so well too! curses. :( Sooner rather than later would be good. :p

OK, I have used enough smilies for now. :hug: Ruth

TheWalrus 01-03-2012 11:30 AM

Hi all!

Happy New Year!

It's suddenly cold here, too, but I have a secret weapon -- our old Playstation died the Wednesday before Christmas, and because it's what we use to play movies (it's a BluRay player as well as a game system), we decided to replace it so that when my family was here we could watch the Christmas classics :) And then they had a sale, so for $50 more, we could get the Move bundle, so we did. And it's fun! We had one set of sports games that came in the bundle, and I'm doing a little of that every day. The only game that seems to really get my blood moving is the gladiator one, but boxing has always been my favorite part of training with my trainers, so that's fine with me! It may not be muscle-building, but I have to imagine it's a reasonable cardio workout -- I certainly end up sweating by the end of it! I'm going to remember to wear my heart rate monitor one time this week and see what it says. At the very least, it's certainly preferable to huddling on the sofa all night!

Food-wise, well, probably the less said about that the better. I'm trying right now to just eat reasonably, and then today I'm starting with the calorie tracking again. My husband is the cook in the family, and he has promised to provide 700-calorie meals every night, which will be awesome. He is fabulous, but his follow-through isn't always on par, so we'll see whether this happens, and for how long, but he needs it even more than I do, so hopefully this will get us both moving in the right direction together.

I do know that when we hit the grocery store for the first shopping trip of the year we came home with salad greens (and dried cranberries for the salad -- he is a king among men when it comes to his salads! My favorite has champagne-pear vinegar dressing, dried cranberries, a little crumbled goat cheese, and some toasted pine nuts), dry-roasted nuts, and fruit. Tonight he's picking up some milk and some peanut butter (which I love to heat in the microwave and then dip fruit into for a lunch treat -- it makes a nice, thin coating that is, for me, so much more satisfying than a big glob). And then we should be set for a while, what with the leftovers from Christmas still floating around :)

I have total faith in his ability to make healthy, 700-calorie meals out of what we have available -- as long as his determination lasts!

So it looks like I have a plan! I'm pretending that the last 4 months never happened. And although I may not make my goals for this spring, I will for darn sure be farther along than if I had never restarted again at all.

Onward and Upward!

tw326at41 01-03-2012 03:07 PM

Hi everyone,
I have been on 3FC for about a year and a half now and have posted sometimes here but I usually stick to the Wellness Goals post mainly becasue I get lost keeping track of everyone in all the other threads. That is pretty sad isn't it. But I have always loved this thread so I thought I may try to follow along for awhile. I started at 326 and 41 years old. Now I am 42 and at 272.4. I REALLY wanted to be lower by now but I am please I am making progress. This past 6 months have not been good for weightloss so I am looking forward to the freash new year. I really want to be under 200 by the end of the year. I know it is "dobale" but man is losing weight after 40 harder. I never really believed that until it happened to me. :-(
Anyways, I hope to get to know you all better. It sounds like everyone is off to a great start. I was POP yesterday and so far so good today. I need to make it to the grocery store in the next day or two but I really feel good about things so far.

Heather 01-03-2012 08:56 PM

I'm on track for a 2nd POP day! Helps to have healthy food on hand. But I couldn't believe how many cookies were at the office!! I am on a sugar detox, however, and it was easy (today) to just say no.

Good to see some people returning!!

dgramie 01-04-2012 06:50 AM

I made a huge pot of veggie soup yesterday. One bowl really fills you up and hits the spot. We plan on having it again today for lunch. I didnt weigh this morning. Hubby bought a new battery for our scales but it never made it up to the bedroom. Maybe staying off the scales for a few days is just what I need.
Im still coming in low on my water. I will try and increase it today.I may try and add some flavoring today to get me going on it again.
Im thinking of going for a walk when my youngest 2 kids I keep go home today and just take one for a walk. Thats if his mom doesnt mind him being outside in the cold.

gggirls 01-04-2012 07:18 AM

Got the bills paid - wow that was a workout! POP day - feeling good even though I had my lunch plans "upset". The plate my lunch was on exploded in the microwave - obviously couldn't eat with the broken pieces in it. This could throw me into a tissy but stepped back and made a good choice.

Stay strong!

Heather 01-04-2012 08:04 AM

Carol == Wow, that's scary!!!! I'm with you on the bill paying workout -- I paid off our kitchen bill from Lowes last night. ouch.

It feels really good to have 2 POP days under my belt.

j-ann 01-04-2012 08:18 AM

Oh the joys of Winter ..... Weigh in morning for me. It's just too cold to hit my early morning WW meeting. I go to a WW center and they have weigh ins all day on Wed. I'll either weigh in later today or go to an early meeting tomorrow morning when it's supposed to be much warmer.

May be back later.
Have a great OP day.

tw326at41 01-04-2012 10:26 AM

Had a great day yesterday, was POP! Two days in a row...it's been a long time since that happened. I could get a little more water in too but still doing well. Brought my lunch today to work so that will help keep me on track for another day. Carol, that is scary! I'll have to keep on eye out on the microwave.

Vortex_VVV 01-04-2012 12:44 PM

TW: That's great progress!

Heather: WTG!

My week has gotten a bit derailed. DH had a sudden attack of what I'm diagnosing as sciatica. As you may recall, we maintain two apartments in two different cities, and he had taken two weeks off work and was staying at our southern home with me, but of course his doc is in "his" town. Anyway, long story short, we came up here in hopes that sleeping in his usual bed might help and that his doc would be able to fit him in. But my plans for the week are now a bit off kilter--in particular, my plan to look at a house I'm hoping to buy, and I wanted DH to look at it with me though he's totally opposed to buying...

Anyway, eating is going well, and I've managed to keep my 15 minutes a day of exercise every day this year, so I'm feeling like I'm getting back on track.

Everyone's got beginning of the year energy, right? We'll be so much lighter by February!

Angela

j-ann 01-04-2012 01:18 PM

Temp finally reached the upper teens so off I went to WW. Glad I did! Another 5 lb goal reached with this week's 1.4 lb loss. I'm officially down 45 lbs. No wonder my slacks were getting way too big. Another 25 lbs or so and I'll be getting into scary territory. For me that's anything below 250 because it'll be 12 yrs since I was there and it's one of those mental goals that seem impossible to reach. I plan on reaching it and passing it on my way to living a "lighter", healthier life.

ANGELA: Sorry to hear hubby's hurting. I always felt better sitting when my sciatica kicked. If he does too shove him in the car and take him on a drive by of "your" house. I know you'll do your best to stick to your weight loss plan. It'll make you feel better if you stay OP.

TW: Glad to meet ya'. Sounds like you've jumped in with both feet and are doing really well!

Love reading about everyone "POP strings". Let's keep it going.

cbrad1961 01-04-2012 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gggirls (Post 4151310)
This group is for those dealing with the challenges of being fit when you have a significant amount of weight to lose which becomes harder after age 40. If you're an old or new friend and not over 40 and feel this is the place to post, jump right in!

My name is Cathy, I am new and starting a diet on Friday. Being 50 I am finding it very hard to lose weight. I am presently over 320 I am not sure how much over. I will buy me a scale this weekend. I found the 3 fat chicks site during a research about protein powders and their taste. I what a great site to receive advice and encouragement to keep on going. 4-5 years ago I lost 110 lbs but due to some physical ailments I was unable to exercise and just gave up. I am looking forward to getting to know all of you and hopefully be someone who can encourage others.
Have a great day,

Iwillbe 01-04-2012 04:53 PM

Good afternoon ladies, I will try to not post any negative moan and groans. LOL! Today was a little better with the food. I just need to get really serious about being op daily. I swore I wasn't going to let the holidays throw me off plan.....but I did! Positive attitude on the way!

Hi tw and Cathy, glad to meet you. I hope you like it here as much as I do. These ladies are the best. I can totally agree with you both on weight being harder to lose as you age. (everyone here knows I am an old gal....shhhh! 78 and none the wiser). Age does not make you smarter about food!

Carol, that sounds scary, I am glad you didn't get hurt.

I hope the rest of you are keeping warm and doing great. :hug: Ruth

Vortex_VVV 01-05-2012 12:32 AM

POP days in 2012: 4/4. I know this won't last forever, but I want to see how long I can do it....

Got hair done today and am pleased with it for the first time in a while; new stylist, think she's a keeper.

Cathy: Welcome and good to meet you.

Judy: WTG on the 5 lbs!

Ruth: Sending you OP vibes for Thursday.

Hugs and encouragement to everyone I've missed.

Angela

dgramie 01-05-2012 06:48 AM

I seem to be doing a bit better each day! I increased water yesterday and the scales went down a few lbs overnight. Im still a bit short of what I use to drink so will try and increase it again today.
Food was GREAT yesterday!
Hubbys dr called and his levels were bad! So he is on a diet and has to be rechecked in a month. I hate to admit it but Im glad she is coming down hard on him. SHe was not happy at all with his results! Im hoping it will keep me going strong!

welcome to everyone new...this site is awesome and so are the people here!!

gggirls 01-05-2012 07:06 AM

Welcome all!

I love this feeling of eating right and yesterday added 45 minutes exercise - been a long time. Even rejoined the gym - need to go now!

Stay strong!

Heather 01-05-2012 07:58 AM

Oh, loving the positive January energy pouring out of this thread!!

When I was out of control and eating junk, I can remember thinking about how much I liked the food... but now I'm remembering that I like the FEELING of healthy eating sooooo much better.

Vortex_VVV 01-05-2012 08:00 PM

Talking with a co-worker today. She had a family member and a friend die over the holidays--one a 25-year-old who was 300+ and died of a heart attack in his sleep, the other older but still too young, 62, also a sudden death, also ill with weight-related illnesses. Stuff like this scares the heck out of me. I just wish I knew how to bottle that feeling so I could pull it out when my motivation runs low.

YAY Deb, Carol, Heather!

Heather, hope the beginning of the semester is going well for you. We don't start until Monday, but that still seems too soon.

Okay, gotta get my exercise in so I can call today another good one. Here's to Friday and weekends generally!

Angela

j-ann 01-05-2012 08:41 PM

WooHoo! POP 5/5 in 2012.

Twisted my lower back last night so I has a slow start this morning. It took a while for the ibuprofin to kick in. This afternoon I was able to do some stretches and now it's getting back to normal. I'll take another round of meds before I go to bed and hopefully, will be better tomorrow.

It's great to see everyone being so successful.

Vortex_VVV 01-05-2012 10:21 PM

WTG Judy. Hope your back is feeling back to normal tomorrow.

Heather 01-05-2012 10:29 PM

Be nice to your back, Judy!

Angela -- It's been one of the easier first weeks I've had in a while. I think because I'm only teaching 2 classes (usually it's 3)...

dgramie 01-06-2012 07:55 AM

I had a great day yesterday but today will be more of a challenge. One of the kids I keep mom came in with fresh warm doughnuts. I keep telling myself to just give them away. I need them gone now!!! I will give one to each kid and then give the rest to my neighbor.

gggirls 01-06-2012 07:56 AM

I've been out of the pool for what seems like forever with the elbow injury - heading back this morning and I can't wait!

I'm with Heather - love this January energy.

Be sure to record your exercise minutes in the exercise thread.

Stay strong!