Old 07-30-2009, 12:32 PM   #1  
Moomin

S/C/G: 326 / 301 / 149

Height: 5' 7.5''

Talking Newbie Saying Hello

Hello

I've just found this forum and you seem like a really friendly bunch, so I thought I may join you. I have looked at several weightloss support forums, but they don't all seem to offer support to all (IYKWIM, this forum looks really friendly and welcoming).

Anyway, the heaviest I ever weighed was last summer, when I hit the scales at 326lbs. I currently weigh 309lbs and hope to get down to 149lbs, I find the thought of losing that amount of weight really daunting, so I am going to aim for mini-targets instead. My first goal is 279lbs.

I have no exercise plan at all and have never had one - I have no idea where to start, I am very, very unfit. Any ideas of how to start building up my fitness would be really helpful should anyone have any tips.

I'm off for a nose around and to read the sticky threads.........

Looking forward to getting to know you all
moominmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 12:48 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 213\see ticker\165

Height: 5' 9"

WELCOME!!!!

My mom and aunt started by committing to do something 3 days a week.
They like aqua aroebics because they don't hurt after.
When they started walking; they would go down the dirt driveway at my mom's and only make it about 5 min. but soon it got longer and longer.

I wish you the very best of luck on your journey.
jeweliek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 01:21 PM   #3  
One pound at a time...

S/C/G: 351/351/220

Height: 5'9"

This place is full of wonderful supportive people! I'm glad you decided to post! I think small changes are definitely the way to go---that's the way I've started.....and drinking lots of water!

Best of wishes to you on your journey!!
Gigglesquirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 01:52 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

Welcome! And congrats on your weight loss so far!

I had never been a regular exerciser before. My advice would be to start simply. Maybe walk 10 or 15 min a day 3 days a week. Then build on that!

If you want some accountability, join our exercise thread! We set goals for number of minutes a month. You don't even have to set a goal, though some of us do. You'd be helping us out too! We're trying to break a 2007 record! Check out the stickies, and also the 'weekly thread'!
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 02:31 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 320/*ticker*/145

Height: 5'6"

Default Welcome!

Hey there!
You and I, we both have almost exactly the same starting weight, goal weight, and mini-goal weight (except all off by about 5 lbs!).

I just started about a month ago, so I don't know how helpful I can be about exercise, but I walk my dog, take my son to the park, and just do dumbbells at home. Not much, I know, but I'm still losing weight because some people say it's like 80% what you eat, 20% exercise. It's still important, but your diet is the most important thing to remember.

Last edited by sakurasky; 07-30-2009 at 02:33 PM.
sakurasky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 02:36 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 203/200/145

Height: 5'5

welcome!
I'm new here as well... today is my first day and I also hope to get help in this website...becuase god only knows that I really need it!!
salru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 02:47 PM   #7  
Anne

S/C/G: 407/358-Dec2007/tracker/125

Height: 5'4"

Welcome!

I'd pretty much suggest that you start walking a little. Increase that time when you can. Later on, once you're used to a little more activity then you can look for something you enjoy doing.
RealCdn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 04:14 PM   #8  
Happy Vegan

S/C/G: 318.5/Ticker/155

Height: 5.8"

Hello Moominmomma!

Welcome!

Im curious to know if you are Finnish or just like the Moomins!
SuomiSara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 04:22 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 372.9/358.4/155

Height: 5' 6"

Hi...I've just joined the forum too.

I've been following the Atkins diet now since June 28th and lost 14 1/2 lbs -- I've tried it before but never been able to stick to it. I know Doctors have had there pros and cons about it -- but I figure being 200 lbs overweight is not healthy either -- and Atkins can be healthly if you fill up on veggies and not just pounds of meat and cheese!

I've tried low-fat (too bland) - WW (always hungry) - South Beach (too confusing) diets -- no luck.

So I'm hoping this time I can stick to this, and take it slow (adding whole grains slowly) and by reading this forum - maybe we can help each other!
Donna5503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 04:30 PM   #10  
Anne

S/C/G: 407/358-Dec2007/tracker/125

Height: 5'4"

Donna welcome!

That can be the problem with picking a plan that is so far away from how you would normally eat. It makes it tough to keep it up, especially when you've got a lot of weight to lose. I remember making a point to someone with about a few pounds to lose - that if they really wanted to they could eat stuff they hate for a short period of time. I had to find a way of eating that I could manage for years, not weeks or months. This December will be two years since I started back to losing weight, and I'm pretty happy with the way I eat (except some days I'd like more food). My rate of loss may not be as fast as I'd like sometimes (when is it) but along the way I've found a way of eating that I can maintain for the rest of my life. I truly believe that's what is important.

So, good luck on whatever plan you develop, but keep that in the back of your mind... you're looking for a new way of eating that you enjoy.
RealCdn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 05:42 PM   #11  
Resident Pixie

S/C/G: Pant Size - 28/12/8

Height: 5'2"

Hi and welcome

When I was over 300, exercise was not what I focused on mainly. It had to do with the fact that, for me, I had been so sedentary so long, I was finding it hard to really do anything for a good amount of time. So I started out walking in place for 5, 10, 15 minutes at a time and gradually built from that.

Good luck with your goals.

Hugs
Michelle
Onederchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 10:25 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 340/278/170

Height: 5'5"

Welcome welcome!!!

With exercise, like Chunkychick said, starting out and having that gradual progress is a good idea. When I was 340 I couldn't do much. I mean like 5 minutes tops. Walks were very short, but now I can go farther and have a goal of doing my complete DVD workout thing. You can do it!
Jacquie668 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 11:24 AM   #13  
Moomin

S/C/G: 326 / 301 / 149

Height: 5' 7.5''

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuomiSara View Post
Hello Moominmomma!

Welcome!

Im curious to know if you are Finnish or just like the Moomins!
No, SuomiSara, I am not Finnish

I am mad about Moomins, though, I really love those guys (and so wanted to have one to live in my garden when I was little)

Thank you so much everyone for the welcomes and for the advice over exercise

I am so very unfit I really do need to get some sort of exercise plan sorted - I have very high blood pressure and need to sort myself out. I am planning on walking 15 mins 2days then a days rest and then build it up by 5 mins for every 2 days.

Thanks again for the replies.

Last edited by moominmomma; 07-31-2009 at 11:25 AM.
moominmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 10:20 AM   #14  

Hi moominmomma and welcome to 3FC. Glad you decided on our wonderful forum. I'd also like to invite you to visit our positive thread. Positive Uplifting Notification: One Positive Thing About Me Today Is.....Part Four, it's a great place to sing your praises for a all the positive things that you accomplish from day to day and a great place for support from others going thru the same thing you are.
Again I want to say...

learningtoliveagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 10:39 AM   #15  
~Rena~

S/C/G: 361.4/222.4/150

Height: 5'6"

Welcome Newbies, Moomin, Donna and Salru!

Glad you all joined this awesome group!!!!!!

Taking it one baby step at a time is the way to go. Find out what weight loss journey you wanna take....and remember the veggies! Try to incorporate a new veggie in a week. Soon, you will have tons of variety and not get bored. Walking is the best way...got a dog? Take him for a walk, then you will both enjoy it or if not why not check out your local animal rescue and volunteer maybe start out once a week to take a dog for a walk.

Good luck and happy posting!
betty grrl is offline   Reply With Quote