Old 10-21-2008, 06:56 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 350/239/160

Default At the End of My Rope in a Good Way

Hi,

I am so desperate to stop the cycle of compulsive overeating. I resolve to do better and plan out what I am going to eat but it is always thrown out the window when the overwhelming cravings arrive.
Does anyone else feel like a food addict that can't just quit? I worry that because both of my parents are terrible alcoholics that I may have inherited the addiction gene.
How did y'all get to the place where enough was enough and you could rise above the powerful cravings for emotional comfort from bingeing?
Another bad thing is that I have started to drink a lot and I am worried that I am on the same path as my parents. I just can't stop numbing myself out with food and drink.
I really am in awe of people who escaped addiction and would so love to hear what allowed you succeed.
Thanks so much!
Pennie
CatWuv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 08:18 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 344/335/170

Height: 5'7.5

I grew up with an alcoholic father, so I know addiction far too well. I believe that my addictive personality when it comes to food was inherited from my dad. Something that I am trying to really focus on IS the addiction. I am obsessed with food and I think I finally realize that. Addiction is a horrible thing. It is something we will live with every day for the rest of our lives. Like any addict though, we must resolve to do better each day... to realize that we will fall, but we can not give up.
FireDust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 08:26 PM   #3  
Anne

S/C/G: 407/358-Dec2007/tracker/125

Height: 5'4"

Although I would never quite use the word addiction to describe my eating habits, there were definitely some compulsive parts to it. I would say I was going to do better, start tomorrow, etc. Then I'm plan 'one more' blowout or be unable to stop myself from going through the drive-thru for something on the way home. Oh, I'd make excuses and such, but they were never valid.

One think that helped me (and still does) is to trade one compulsion for another really. I am pretty meticulous about planning my meals for the next day. I'm far enough in this time (since Dec) to make changes from time to time, however, I do not go to bed without planning my next day's meals. I make sure I get plenty to eat (my low days are still 2000 calories) and eat at least 6 times a day. To some extent I may have to do that for a very long time. In the end I decided that it's worth it to me. You have to decide if it's worth it to you. Good luck.
RealCdn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 08:55 PM   #4  
On my way

S/C/G: 262/210/159

Height: 5'2"

here is what happened to me: I am only 19, i am in school working very hard, i have no money...and i am forced to live in an attic in my shut-in step father's house until i graduate college. needless to say; i am very disatisfied with my life. i used to sit and cry to my mom about how helpless i felt, and how i don't deserve the crappy situation i am in. one day in june...i realized: you know what? I DON'T DESERVE TO BE FAT!!!!! and that is something that (no matter how much it feels like you don't) you have control over. that was the breaking point for me.
mescelestus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 12:17 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 360/ticker/175

Height: 5'8

I'm a compulsive eater in recovery. "Recovery" means different thing for different people. For me it means:

* I eat when I'm hungry
* I stop when I'm full
* I eat what my body craves.

They are ALL hard to understand and work towards but it's worth it. I recommend you look at this book/website (http://www.beyondhunger.org/books.html). It may not be for you...but then again it might.

Best of luck!
NuevaVida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 02:35 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 305/247/<200

Height: 5'9"

I relate...
I have hit the 300# OMG barrier 3x in the last 10 years -- to the point that I seriously tried to lose weight (I'm hoping 3rd time is the charm ). The second time round, I found 3FC and have been here since.

When I looked at why I put back on 60 of the 65# I lost in 2005-6, one of the things I realized is that I am an emotional eater. I found the books "Shrink Yourself" and "The Beck Diet Solution" to be helpful to understanding my problem (there probably are a lot of other good books, but these are the 2 I read ). I also decided that working with a therapist would be a good idea -- may not be practical for everyone (cost, accessibility, etc...) but it has been helpful for me so far.

I am also a recovering alcoholic -- 9 years sober this month. I have found AA to be incredibly helpful to stopping drinking and staying sober. I did not find OA to be as helpful to me, but maybe I didn't give it enough of a chance.

Regardless, I think it is worthwhile to take a look at the emotional, physical, and perhaps spiritual reasons we overeat. I also think that some of the AA slogans such as "progress not perfection" and "keep coming back" are helpful and relevant to losing weight. I recently "slipped" on my eating and exercise plan -- for two weeks, I did nothing in terms of exercise and I ate a bunch of non-healthy food. But, this time, unlike two years ago, I got back OP and came back to the 3FC forum in only two weeks .

Hope this is helpful to you!
elmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 04:24 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 360/ticker/175

Height: 5'8

Oh yeah, speaking of 12-step programs, I forgot to add that there is a 12-step program for people living with eating disorders called "Eating Disorders Annonymous." You can reach them here: http://www.eatingdisordersanonymous.org/

Last edited by NuevaVida; 10-22-2008 at 04:24 PM.
NuevaVida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 03:42 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 350/239/160

Thank you all for your wonderful and thoughtful replies. I am trying to put your advice into action. I am on the prowl for therapies, 12 step programs and other methodologies to get sanity back into my life.
Mimi, I just ordered a gently used copy of the book recommended by that website you posted. I can't wait for its arrival.

Thanks so much for all the support from everyone!! I really needed it and so appreciate it.
CatWuv is offline   Reply With Quote