Old 09-22-2008, 09:52 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 315/265/155

Height: 5'6''

Default Getting Un-Stuck...

I am complaining and I know that I shouldn't. I should be happy that I am down 25 lbs in 8 weeks. I should be, but I am not. I am not because I am at the same place I was last week.

I am doing a low carb diet, basically Atkins post induction phase staying at around 30 carbs per day. I am doing about 30 situps a night with additional leg lifts and other lower body workouts. I try to have my heart rate up for at least 15 minutes per night. (When I started I could only do about 5 minutes) I have tried increasing my workouts, but that seemed to work against me. I made myself hurt to the point of not being able to exercise every day.

I weigh myself daily, and track weekly. I know I made it down to 287 last week, but then went up to 291. I am at 290 right now which is where I was last Monday. Should I expect fluctuations like this? Is there something I can do to improve this? I am trying to approach this with a plan and executing my plan this time instead of emotional decisions, but even with a plan when it is going in the wrong direction or not going, I am discouraged.

Thanks,

Jenni
geber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 09:59 AM   #2  

Height: 5'9"

I flucuate like that, one minute I'm 313, then 7 hours later I'm 310, then 5 hours later I'm 311. (Just an example). The only weight I take seriously is when I go once a week to weight watchers. I think the flucuation is pretty normal.
luvja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 10:07 AM   #3  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Weight fluctuations are perfectly normally and everyone has them as they lose weight. Losing 25 lbs is awesome.

As for exercise, have you tried walking?

Also, don't ignore your upper body in your workouts. You could try things like counter/wall pushups and I recommend looking into something like resistance bands which are very accessible to most people. You can do a lot with them.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 11:33 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 129/see ticker/110

Height: 5'1"

If it's only one week I wouldn't worry about it; you've made great progress. But, I understand your frustration.

How about trying getting your heart rate up those 15 minutes first thing in the morning before eating anything (only consuming water), but do your other exercises in the evening.

If you do cardio first thing in the morning your body will burn stored fat for fuel... if you do it after eating anything it'll just burn the carbs you just ate.
Taurie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 07:42 PM   #5  
Chained, Chainge, Change

S/C/G: 379.5/314/185

Height: 5'8"

I have always heard weighing once a week is best for the mind. I agree as I tend (as many do) to get obsessive about the scale and its almighty numbers.
ToniLight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 07:49 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToniLight View Post
I have always heard weighing once a week is best for the mind. I agree as I tend (as many do) to get obsessive about the scale and its almighty numbers.
It varies from person to person. I think I would obsess more if I had to wait a week. All that wondering ...
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 08:56 AM   #7  
MSer living healthy

S/C/G: 300/176/170

Height: 5ft 8in

I have been on my weight loss journey now for well over 17 months and I found and especially early on I had several weeks where I did not lose anything. Though a week or 2 weeks later I would have lost 3 or 4 pounds not that I did anything different I just stayed on plan and exercised regularly but my body lost in in its own "odd" way.

What I am trying to say do not worry about a week or 2 with out loss the main thing is to continue with your healthy eating plan and taking regular exercise our bodies do not always work as we expect them too. Focus on how far you have come and what great strides you have made already rather than a week or two without loss. You will find that if you keep a weigh record like I do that you may see a pattern forming and that is how your weight loss will be as it was for me.
purpleorc is offline   Reply With Quote